• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • USC_Gamecock
    • Sep 2004

Who would be willing to put ...

Super Mario up in a deal for Brees?

I hear all this about QB being the most important position on the field -- would anyone have the balls to do this?

I wouldn't ....
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Who would be willing to put ...

Originally posted by USC_Gamecock View Post
    Super Mario up in a deal for Brees?

I hear all this about QB being the most important position on the field -- would anyone have the balls to do this?

I wouldn't ....
    I would not like that trade because I think Mario still has good football left in him.

Brees is on the downside yet wants to be paid like Payton Manning.

Comment

• Topas
      German smartass
      • Feb 2014

Not sure. It depends on how much years each has left in the tank. And I am not sure for both players how much years there are left. And what we would have to pay in salary for Brees.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
        Pinkerton's son
        • Feb 2006

Brees hasnt carried his team like he did in the past...hes on the decline IMO

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Topas View Post
          Not sure. It depends on how much years each has left in the tank. And I am not sure for both players how much years there are left. And what we would have to pay in salary for Brees.
          Brees has said he wants to be paid $20 Mill per year.

Comment

• Swiper
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2010

Take Brees out of that dome and he's half the man you're used to. In a northern climate anyway.

Comment

• EDS
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
              Brees hasnt carried his team like he did in the past...hes on the decline IMO
              Just to be devils advocate, where has Mario carried the Bills? From an age and utility perspective I am not sure there is a big difference in lifespan for a 30 year old defensive lineman versus a mid-thirties quarterback.

There is probably a statistical study on this like the one on running backs showing their decline following the age of 27.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by EDS View Post
                Just to be devils advocate, where has Mario carried the Bills? From an age and utility perspective I am not sure there is a big difference in lifespan for a 30 year old defensive lineman versus a mid-thirties quarterback.

There is probably a statistical study on this like the one on running backs showing their decline following the age of 27.
                Fair point.

All I can tell you is what I have seen with my eyes.

I saw no drop off in Mario's play last year.

Anyone that watched Brees the last couple years will tell you his play has dropped off.

The Saints finished 7-9 last year in a TERRIBLE NFC South Division.

If Brees were as good as Brady or Manning, the Saints would have won the division last year.

And if the Bills were in that Division, they would have won it last year as well.

Comment

• elltrain22
                  • Sep 2003

As much as I love Mario, I would do that deal any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. IMHO, Brees still has at least 3 good years left in the tank.
                  If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by elltrain22 View Post
                    As much as I love Mario, I would do that deal any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. IMHO, Brees still has at least 3 good years left in the tank.
                    What do you base your opinion on?

Have you watched Brees play or are you looking at the stat sheet?

Brees does have good stats playing in a dome against putrid defenses.

You would not see those kind of stats in WINDY Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Not to mention against the better defenses in the AFC East.

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by elltrain22 View Post
                      As much as I love Mario, I would do that deal any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. IMHO, Brees still has at least 3 good years left in the tank with a warm weather or dome team.
                      Corrected
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                        Pinkerton's son
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by EDS View Post

True, he hasnt carried us anywhere, but right now hes a key cog in our defense - and make no mistake, our defense is going to be the one to carry us anywhere this coming season. Also, as others have said, Brees' stats outside of the dome are nowhere near the same.

I'd certainly be tempted considering our QB situation now, but Id put more stock in our defense right now

Comment

• Thurmal
                          • Oct 2005

Trading for Brees would be disasterous for this franchise.
                          "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Looking at the qb's out there, I would. EASILY.

Rexy had a top 10 D without a Super Mario.

We can replace 10 sacks per season.

When was the last time we had a 33 TD season from a qb.

Sam Watkins would LOVE Brees.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• CleveSteve
                              • Apr 2011

In case anyone was wondering, it would barely work from a cap perspective for the both teams. Williams' cap hit would drop from $19.4 million (pre Taylor) to $10.2 million (assuming his roster and option bonuses have already been paid) for a $9.2 million savings, increasing Buffalo's cap space to $24.3 million. Assuming Taylor's cap hit is even this year and next, take it down to $21.3 million. Drew Brees' cap hit would be $19 million, so they would only have $2.3 million left in wiggle room.

The Saints have only $5.0 million in cap space. Trading Brees would reduce their cap hit from $26.4 million to $14.8 million to move their cap space to $16.6 million. If the roster and option bonus have already been paid to Williams, his cap hit for them would be $13 million. They would have $3.6 million left over.

These cap numbers already account for expected draft pick compensation.

A current summary of Buffalo Bills 2024 player cap & cash figures.
                              Last edited by CleveSteve; 03-13-2015, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X