PDA

View Full Version : Who would be willing to put ...

USC_Gamecock
03-13-2015, 06:35 AM
Super Mario up in a deal for Brees?

I hear all this about QB being the most important position on the field -- would anyone have the balls to do this?

I wouldn't ....

better days
03-13-2015, 06:46 AM

I hear all this about QB being the most important position on the field -- would anyone have the balls to do this?

I wouldn't ....

I would not like that trade because I think Mario still has good football left in him.

Brees is on the downside yet wants to be paid like Payton Manning.

Topas
03-13-2015, 06:48 AM
Not sure. It depends on how much years each has left in the tank. And I am not sure for both players how much years there are left. And what we would have to pay in salary for Brees.

Pinkerton Security
03-13-2015, 06:51 AM
Brees hasnt carried his team like he did in the past...hes on the decline IMO

better days
03-13-2015, 06:59 AM
Not sure. It depends on how much years each has left in the tank. And I am not sure for both players how much years there are left. And what we would have to pay in salary for Brees.

Brees has said he wants to be paid $20 Mill per year.

swiper
03-13-2015, 07:02 AM
Take Brees out of that dome and he's half the man you're used to. In a northern climate anyway.

EDS
03-13-2015, 07:06 AM
Brees hasnt carried his team like he did in the past...hes on the decline IMO

Just to be devils advocate, where has Mario carried the Bills? From an age and utility perspective I am not sure there is a big difference in lifespan for a 30 year old defensive lineman versus a mid-thirties quarterback.

There is probably a statistical study on this like the one on running backs showing their decline following the age of 27.

better days
03-13-2015, 07:12 AM
Just to be devils advocate, where has Mario carried the Bills? From an age and utility perspective I am not sure there is a big difference in lifespan for a 30 year old defensive lineman versus a mid-thirties quarterback.

There is probably a statistical study on this like the one on running backs showing their decline following the age of 27.

Fair point.

All I can tell you is what I have seen with my eyes.

I saw no drop off in Mario's play last year.

Anyone that watched Brees the last couple years will tell you his play has dropped off.

The Saints finished 7-9 last year in a TERRIBLE NFC South Division.

If Brees were as good as Brady or Manning, the Saints would have won the division last year.

And if the Bills were in that Division, they would have won it last year as well.

elltrain22
03-13-2015, 07:25 AM
As much as I love Mario, I would do that deal any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. IMHO, Brees still has at least 3 good years left in the tank.

better days
03-13-2015, 07:58 AM
As much as I love Mario, I would do that deal any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. IMHO, Brees still has at least 3 good years left in the tank.

What do you base your opinion on?

Have you watched Brees play or are you looking at the stat sheet?

Brees does have good stats playing in a dome against putrid defenses.

You would not see those kind of stats in WINDY Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Not to mention against the better defenses in the AFC East.

Night Train
03-13-2015, 08:00 AM
As much as I love Mario, I would do that deal any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. IMHO, Brees still has at least 3 good years left in the tank with a warm weather or dome team.

Corrected

Pinkerton Security
03-13-2015, 08:36 AM

True, he hasnt carried us anywhere, but right now hes a key cog in our defense - and make no mistake, our defense is going to be the one to carry us anywhere this coming season. Also, as others have said, Brees' stats outside of the dome are nowhere near the same.

I'd certainly be tempted considering our QB situation now, but Id put more stock in our defense right now

Thurmal
03-13-2015, 08:40 AM
Trading for Brees would be disasterous for this franchise.

justasportsfan
03-13-2015, 08:40 AM
Looking at the qb's out there, I would. EASILY.

Rexy had a top 10 D without a Super Mario.

We can replace 10 sacks per season.

When was the last time we had a 33 TD season from a qb.

Sam Watkins would LOVE Brees.

CleveSteve
03-13-2015, 08:49 AM
In case anyone was wondering, it would barely work from a cap perspective for the both teams. Williams' cap hit would drop from $19.4 million (pre Taylor) to $10.2 million (assuming his roster and option bonuses have already been paid) for a $9.2 million savings, increasing Buffalo's cap space to $24.3 million. Assuming Taylor's cap hit is even this year and next, take it down to $21.3 million. Drew Brees' cap hit would be $19 million, so they would only have $2.3 million left in wiggle room.

The Saints have only $5.0 million in cap space. Trading Brees would reduce their cap hit from $26.4 million to $14.8 million to move their cap space to $16.6 million. If the roster and option bonus have already been paid to Williams, his cap hit for them would be $13 million. They would have $3.6 million left over.

These cap numbers already account for expected draft pick compensation.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-williams/

Thurmal
03-13-2015, 08:52 AM

You're not just having to replace the 10-14 sacks Mario gets. You're also needing to replace the 12-16 sacks that Kyle Williams, Dareus, and Hughes are getting b/c Mario is occupying the o-lineman that could be blocking them.

elltrain22
03-13-2015, 08:56 AM
What do you base your opinion on?

Have you watched Brees play or are you looking at the stat sheet?

Yes I have watched him, and def like what I see, and his stats are awesome too.

Brees does have good stats playing in a dome against putrid defenses.

I won't dispute this b/c I don't have numbers in front of me, but every QB has an off game, and IMO, its not a dome that makes Brees effective.

You would not see those kind of stats in WINDY Ralph Wilson Stadium.

IMHO, yes you would. He has better WR's to throw too, and a very good RB.

Not to mention against the better defenses in the AFC East.

It's my opinion, but I am a 110% believer in Brees. He is one of the most accurate passers in the NFL. He's clutch, great leader, great guy, and very durable. Your points are well constructed, but in this case, I choose to agree to disagree with you on Brees.

better days
03-13-2015, 09:00 AM

When was the last time we had a 33 TD season from a qb.

Sam Watkins would LOVE Brees.

Sorry Justa, unless Pegula builds a Dome TOMORROW, no way in Hell Brees puts up 33 TD's in Buffalo.

better days
03-13-2015, 09:01 AM
It's my opinion, but I am a 110% believer in Brees. He is one of the most accurate passers in the NFL. He's clutch, great leader, great guy, and very durable. Your points are well constructed, but in this case, I choose to agree to disagree with you on Brees.

That is fine, we can disagree, but I think you are just looking at the stat sheet & not his actual play.

EDS
03-13-2015, 09:38 AM
True, he hasnt carried us anywhere, but right now hes a key cog in our defense - and make no mistake, our defense is going to be the one to carry us anywhere this coming season. Also, as others have said, Brees' stats outside of the dome are nowhere near the same.

I'd certainly be tempted considering our QB situation now, but Id put more stock in our defense right now

Small sample size and I have no idea what the actual weather conditions, but Brees was very good last year in games at Pitt and Chicago late in the season. He did stink in Tampa to end the season.

casdhf
03-13-2015, 09:41 AM
Isn't Mario's dead cap number like 30 million?

Pinkerton Security
03-13-2015, 09:49 AM
Small sample size and I have no idea what the actual weather conditions, but Brees was very good last year in games at Pitt and Chicago late in the season. He did stink in Tampa to end the season.

Small sample size? Probably half of his career games have been outdoors vs in the dome. I cant say I have any statistics to back up my point but I remember seeing an article at some point that broke down his comparative "struggles" outside. I say comparative bc he was likely still a good deal better than the average QB

Dont get me wrong, I probably wouldnt be upset if we got him, I just dont see it happening with the way our team is currently set up

better days
03-13-2015, 09:49 AM

Small sample size is the point.

Brees has amassed his stat record playing in domes & warm weather stadiums.

justasportsfan
03-13-2015, 09:53 AM
Sorry Justa, unless Pegula builds a Dome TOMORROW, no way in Hell Brees puts up 33 TD's in Buffalo.

It does not matter. He'd still be better than anything we had since Kelly.

better days
03-13-2015, 10:08 AM
It does not matter. He'd still be better than anything we had since Kelly.

Agreed, Brees would be better than anything the Bills have had since Kelly, but not $20 Million dollars worth.

I don't know that Brees would be any better than EJ or Cassel in Buffalo, especially from November on.

I would not make a $20 Million dollar gamble on Brees.

EDS
03-13-2015, 10:09 AM

Super Bowl is generally played in domes and warm weather stadiums!

better days
03-13-2015, 10:10 AM
Super Bowl is generally played in domes and warm weather stadiums!

First you have to get there.

TacklingDummy
03-13-2015, 11:04 AM

Quarterbacks win Champinships.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-13-2015, 11:11 AM
I don't know that Brees would be any better than EJ or Cassel in Buffalo, especially from November on.

Can we just step back and admire how silly this is?

Brees with a concussion and his shoelaces tied together would be better than Cassel and EJ.

USC_Gamecock
03-13-2015, 12:01 PM
Our defense will give the team a chance to be a contender with a bad offense. I do not think our offense will be bad with the players in place -- Cassel may even be serviceable in a Trent Dilfer kind of way.

Losing Super Mario would hurt the defense bad (who would replace him?) -- and that would be my apprehension with this deal. Not sure if Brees will be as consistent in bad weather either.

better days
03-13-2015, 12:02 PM
Can we just step back and admire how silly this is?

Brees with a concussion and his shoelaces tied together would be better than Cassel and EJ.

EJ was .500 last year.

Brees was 7-9. below .500. in a CRAPPY NFC South.

I think many on this board overestimate just how good Brees is because they look at the stats sheet.

CleveSteve
03-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Isn't Mario's dead cap number like 30 million?

Dead cap number only describes cap hit if cut. If that guaranteed money is option or roster bonuses or guaranteed salary, the new team in a trade would be on the hook for it, so it wouldn't be on the original team's cap. Only unamortized signing bonus (read: cash already paid out). When a team trades for a player, they also are assuming the remainder of their contract.

USC_Gamecock
03-13-2015, 12:07 PM
EJ was .500 last year.

Brees was 7-9. below .500. in a CRAPPY NFC South.

I think many on this board overestimate just how good Brees is because they look at the stats sheet.

I wouldn't like the trade either -- but the argument you just made is one of the worst I've seen.

Buffalogic
03-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Better days you are ridiculous. Dumb really. Most likely 16 years old. It is painful to read what you type.

Mario for Brees would be great. Brees hasn't had the best weapons to throw to the last few seasons. He'd crush people with the we have at the skills positions in Buffalo.

better days
03-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Better days you are ridiculous. Dumb really. Most likely 16 years old. It is painful to read what you type.

Mario for Brees would be great. Brees hasn't had the best weapons to throw to the last few seasons. He'd crush people with the we have at the skills positions in Buffalo.

Well, I am no doubt much older than you.

And I have actually watched Brees play in the NFC South since he went to the Saints.

You on the other hand probably have only read his stats.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-13-2015, 01:03 PM
Did you watch EJ play? He was. 500 because he gave two games away with some of the crappiest qb play you'll ever see.

This is the one of the more egregious "wins are a qb stat" arguments around.

better days
03-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Did you watch EJ play? He was. 500 because he gave two games away with some of the crappiest qb play you'll ever see.

This is the one of the more egregious "wins are a qb stat" arguments around.

Well, we will see what happens this year.

I will be surprised if the Saints finish any better than they did last year.

If Brees is WORTH $20 MILLION, he should be able to WIN with dog crap.

WagonCircler
03-13-2015, 01:07 PM

The biggest canard going.

Not even the Green Bay game at the Ralph last year was affected by wind or weather.

The Bills play, at best, one game every two years in which weather plays a meaningful role.

Accurate passing is the biggest single single thing holding this team back. Adding Brees would make this team a legitimate contender.

Your boyfriend EJ is the least accurate "starter" in the NFL.

better days
03-13-2015, 01:10 PM
The biggest canard going.

Not even the Green Bay game at the Ralph last year was affected by wind or weather.

The Bills play, at best, one game every two years in which weather plays a meaningful role.

Accurate passing is the biggest single single thing holding this team back. Adding Brees would make this team a legitimate contender.

Your boyfriend EJ is the least accurate "starter" in the NFL.

If it is true that the Bills would be a contender with Brees, WHY were the Saints NOT CONTENDERS with Brees in the NFC South?

A $20 MILLION DOLLAR QB should be able to WIN. You can lose for MUCH LESS Money like the Bills did.

USC_Gamecock
03-13-2015, 01:16 PM
If it is true that the Bills would be a contender with Brees, WHY were the Saints NOT CONTENDERS with Brees in the NFC South?

A $20 MILLION DOLLAR QB should be able to WIN. You can lose for MUCH LESS Money like the Bills did.

Saints didn't have the talent the Bills have at every other position other than TE and QB. A decent QB like Matt Ryan or Cam Newton would make the Bills dangerous, a great QB like Brees would make the Bills Superbowl contender -- depending on the cost. I personally don't know about losing Mario (in this made up scenario).

Hopefully that's simple enough for ya ....

better days
03-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Saints didn't have the talent the Bills have at every other position other than TE and QB. A decent QB like Matt Ryan or Cam Newton would make the Bills dangerous, a great QB like Brees would make the Bills Superbowl contender -- depending on the cost. I personally don't know about losing Mario (in this made up scenario).

Hopefully that's simple enough for ya ....

$20 Million cap hit would AFFECT a teams CAP SPACE.

Hopefully that is simple enough for ya...

IlluminatusUIUC
03-13-2015, 01:28 PM
$20 Million cap hit would AFFECT a teams CAP SPACE.

Hopefully that is simple enough for ya...

In this fantasy scenario, that would be offset by losing Mario's cap hit.

better days
03-13-2015, 01:34 PM
In this fantasy scenario, that would be offset by losing Mario's cap hit.

True, but the Bills defense would also take a hit losing Mario.

The question is How much would losing Mario hurt VS how much getting Brees would help.

Having watched Brees since he joined the Saints, I don't think getting Brees would help as much as losing Mario would hurt.

I agree that if the Bills could get Brees at a REASONABLE number, say $10 Mill & if the Bills could keep Mario or sign another player to help, it would be great.

But like I said, I think some people are just looking at the great stats Brees has put up.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-13-2015, 01:42 PM
True, but the Bills defense would also take a hit losing Mario.

The question is How much would losing Mario hurt VS how much getting Brees would help.

Having watched Brees since he joined the Saints, I don't think getting Brees would help as much as losing Mario would hurt.

I agree that if the Bills could get Brees at a REASONABLE number, say $10 Mill & if the Bills could keep Mario or sign another player to help, it would be great.

But like I said, I think some people are just looking at the great stats Brees has put up.

Not just the stats, but the division titles, playoff wins, and super bowl title. Brees is not without his limits, but he's mentioned in the same breath with Rodgers, Brady, and Manning for a reason.

justasportsfan
03-13-2015, 01:56 PM

Must be humid in tampa these days :D

Tatonka
03-13-2015, 01:56 PM
remember when they said manning couldnt play outside.. brees played at purdue.. outside. i dont think he is scared of some snow. no one plays awesome outside in ****ty weather.. unless you deflate the balls.

Tatonka
03-13-2015, 02:01 PM
and in regards to watching brees play. ive caught just about every saints game in the last three years. brees is still an elite qb. he presses too hard when he doesnt have the pieces around him to help, but hes not afraid to take shots. its what has made him great. i dont buy the "hes only good because of a dome" crap. he had **** wrs to work with outside of graham at TE. his running backs were sketchy at best last year once ingram got hurt.. and ingram was their best rb.. which is not saying much. his oline was average at best as well. hes a leader. hes a winner. he would put our team in the playoffs for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

oh, and there is no way they will trade him.. so this is all just talk. it would never happen.

Mr. Cynical
03-13-2015, 02:11 PM

This I can say with 100% certainty would not be the case. I don't care if Brees has two broken legs and an eye patch, he would still be better than those two in any weather. Is he worth trading Mario? That's a good question. I've never been a huge Mario fan - he's very good, but worth maybe 50% of what he's getting paid. He's not a JJ Wyatt kind of game changer, so trading him IMHO would not be out of the question if it meant bringing a QB that, while in decline, would be 10x better than anything we have or will have for the next 1-2 years.

Bottom line - the Bills are spending to win *now*, not 3 years from now. So the question is, does Brees have enough in the tank to give them 1-2 years of elite QB'ing to take a shot at the SB? Cause in 3 years this D will be totally different. The time is now.

Edit: Just wanted to note that this will never happen. But it's fun to play fantasy.

better days
03-13-2015, 02:22 PM
Not just the stats, but the division titles, playoff wins, and super bowl title. Brees is not without his limits, but he's mentioned in the same breath with Rodgers, Brady, and Manning for a reason.

Yes, but like Brady & Manning, Brees is on the down slope of his career.

I am just not a fan of OVERPAYING an over the Hill QB $20 Million.

Brees has produced in the past for the Saints, so if I was a fan of that team, I would look at that $20 Mill as pay for past work.

But as a fan of the Bills, Brees would be FOOLS GOLD to me unless he WON the Super Bowl for the Bills.

better days
03-13-2015, 02:27 PM
This I can say with 100% certainty would not be the case. I don't care if Brees has two broken legs and an eye patch, he would still be better than those two in any weather. Is he worth trading Mario? That's a good question. I've never been a huge Mario fan - he's very good, but worth maybe 50% of what he's getting paid. He's not a JJ Wyatt kind of game changer, so trading him IMHO would not be out of the question if it meant bringing a QB that, while in decline, would be 10x better than anything we have or will have for the next 1-2 years.

Bottom line - the Bills are spending to win *now*, not 3 years from now. So the question is, does Brees have enough in the tank to give them 1-2 years of elite QB'ing to take a shot at the SB? Cause in 3 years this D will be totally different. The time is now.

Edit: Just wanted to note that this will never happen. But it's fun to play fantasy.

No Question Brees would be better than Cassel or EJ.

But 10x better in Buffalo? I question that.

Again, 7-9 says to me Brees can not carry a team on his back.

And if a QB can not carry a team on his back, he is NOT worth $20 Mill a year IMO.

Buffalogic
03-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Well, I am no doubt much older than you.

And I have actually watched Brees play in the NFC South since he went to the Saints.

You on the other hand probably have only read his stats.
Nobody is buying it kid.

Ever heard of Sunday ticket? Spare us the Brees and EJ comparisons. You're embarrassing.

BillsImpossible
03-13-2015, 05:34 PM

No, Brees would probably put up over 40 TD's with the Bills defense forcing 3 and outs all season long.

The Saints defense was horrible last year.

BillsImpossible
03-13-2015, 05:36 PM

Brees has produced in the past for the Saints, so if I was a fan of that team, I would look at that $20 Mill as pay for past work.

But as a fan of the Bills, Brees would be FOOLS GOLD to me unless he WON the Super Bowl for the Bills.

That's the Big Idea.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-13-2015, 06:22 PM

Manning set every passer record there is in 2013 and won the afc. Brady won the Super Bowl and dissected arguably the best pass defense of all time.

You seriously wouldn't pay 20 million for that level of qb play? But you would for a de?

Meathead
03-13-2015, 07:07 PM
normally in sports i prefer the balanced consistency approach bc luck is so fickle its better to be good a bunch of seasons versus great for one or two. but i have to admit if they could pull this off i would go for it

this team appears to have the most talent its had in a long time. with rexy architecting the d its going to be good to great almost regardless of what you give him. then give roman a still elite breezy along with sammy, omicron percy, and a still fantastic shady and youre an instant legit sb contender even if your outdoor stadium was perched on an arctic shelf

chase it for 2-3 seasons and if you dont make it youre back to extended basement dwelling but at least you really rocked it for a little while

Mace
03-13-2015, 07:47 PM
I hate to keep raining on parades but I will.

Bills don't want a thrower, they want a hand offer. If you notice, Saints are moving strong toward run game-ish this offseason, we already did, and the difference is a bloated nerve shredding salary on who is making the hand offs.

BillsImpossible
03-13-2015, 08:49 PM
I hate to keep raining on parades but I will.

Bills don't want a thrower, they want a hand offer. If you notice, Saints are moving strong toward run game-ish this offseason, we already did, and the difference is a bloated nerve shredding salary on who is making the hand offs.

Like Peyton Manning last year?

better days
03-13-2015, 11:25 PM
Nobody is buying it kid.

Ever heard of Sunday ticket? Spare us the Brees and EJ comparisons. You're embarrassing.

B.S. Sunday Ticket does not mean people on this board watch the Saints!

I am not comparing Brees to EJ.

I am comparing Brees to Payton Manning & Tom Brady.

EJ does not make & is not asking for $20 MILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR!

better days
03-13-2015, 11:32 PM
Manning set every passer record there is in 2013 and won the afc. Brady won the Super Bowl and dissected arguably the best pass defense of all time.

You seriously wouldn't pay 20 million for that level of qb play? But you would for a de?

I would pay $20 Million for a QB like Brady & Manning that took their teams to the playoffs with Brady winning the Super Bowl!

I would NOT pay $20 MILLION DOLLARS to a QB that had a 7-9 record in the NFC South last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

better days
03-13-2015, 11:38 PM
And AGAIN, Brees put up only TEN POINTS in TWO LOSSES last year.

FOURTEEN POINTS in a THIRD LOSS.

SEVENTEEN POINTS in a FOURTH LOSS.

FOUR games Brees LOST because the Saints put up less than 21 points.

Games that would have WON the NFC South Division!

BertSquirtgum
03-14-2015, 12:03 AM
I would love the Bills to have Drew Brees. I don't think it's worth what it would cost to get him(Money, players, and picks) for the 2 good years he has left. The idea of him playing here is fun but it's not realistic. While, it would help the qb situation right now. I think it would set the team back in the future far worse than it would help them currently.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-14-2015, 12:45 AM
And AGAIN, Brees put up only TEN POINTS in TWO LOSSES last year.

FOURTEEN POINTS in a THIRD LOSS.

SEVENTEEN POINTS in a FOURTH LOSS.

FOUR games Brees LOST because the Saints put up less than 21 points.

Games that would have WON the NFC South Division!

Brady put up less than 21 points four times last year as well, including 16 points to the dismal Raiders at home. The difference is, the Patriots won two of those games anyway because the Patriots have a defense worth a ****. As we do.

better days
03-14-2015, 08:01 AM
Brady put up less than 21 points four times last year as well, including 16 points to the dismal Raiders at home. The difference is, the Patriots won two of those games anyway because the Patriots have a defense worth a ****. As we do.

Ben Roethlisberger does not make $20 Mill per year.

But if you think Brees is worth $20 Mill, fine.

I am just happy you are not the Bills GM.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-14-2015, 09:02 AM
Ben Roethlisberger does not make $20 Mill per year.

He does now.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1917674-ben-roethlisberger-steelers-agree-on-new-contract-latest-details-reaction

It wasn't that Ben was somehow willing to play for less, it's that his deal expired after everyone else's so he had to wait for his extension. Also, I would be happy for Ben Roethlisberger in Buffalo, in fact I think he would be a better fit than Brees, but Brees is potentially available and Ben is not. So that's why he's the subject of the thread.

But if you think Brees is worth $20 Mill, fine.

I am just happy you are not the Bills GM.

You're the one claiming Brees would be no better than Matt Cassel or EJ Manuel, which is such an indefensible position that I'm amazed you're still here digging your hole over it.

better days
03-14-2015, 09:08 AM
He does now.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1917674-ben-roethlisberger-steelers-agree-on-new-contract-latest-details-reaction

It wasn't that Ben was somehow willing to play for less, it's that his deal expired after everyone else's so he had to wait for his extension. Also, I would be happy for Ben Roethlisberger in Buffalo, in fact I think he would be a better fit than Brees, but Brees is potentially available and Ben is not. So that's why he's the subject of the thread.

You're the one claiming Brees would be no better than Matt Cassel or EJ Manuel, which is such an indefensible position that I'm amazed you're still here digging your hole over it.

I did not say Brees would be no better than EJ or Cassel. I said I did not want to GAMBLE $20 Mill to find out how much better he would be.

I said Brees is NOT as good as Brady & Manning. I would bet neither of them would have finished 7-9 last year on the Saints.

better days
03-14-2015, 09:15 AM
And the Saints are going to pay Brees HUGE money to finish 7-9 or 8-8 again this year.

At the end of the year, Brees will be RICHER & another year older.

Saints fans will have a lot to cheer about.

chris66
03-14-2015, 09:38 AM

I wouldn't .... I would make that deal in a heartbeat. As it stands now Bills best projection is 10-6. with Brees that your minimum. He wouldnt be asked to carry the team, but is still accurate enough to keep the chains moving

IlluminatusUIUC
03-14-2015, 09:50 AM
I did not say Brees would be no better than EJ or Cassel.

I said I did not want to GAMBLE $20 Mill to find out how much better he would be.

I said Brees is NOT as good as Brady & Manning. I would bet neither of them would have finished 7-9 last year on the Saints.

No, he's not as good as Brady and Manning. Only 2-3 QBs in the entire history of the NFL are as good as Brady and Manning. But he is good enough to win us a Super Bowl.

Also why is Brees' entire benefit as a player being judged by his most recent season? And why aren't you applying this logic to Williams and his salary?

better days
03-14-2015, 10:35 AM
No, he's not as good as Brady and Manning. Only 2-3 QBs in the entire history of the NFL are as good as Brady and Manning. But he is good enough to win us a Super Bowl.

Also why is Brees' entire benefit as a player being judged by his most recent season? And why aren't you applying this logic to Williams and his salary?

How often have we been told it is the QB that WINS Championships?

Mario is not a QB. Brees is a QB, he is just not a QB like Brady or Manning that can carry a team on his back.

But Brees wants to be PAID like a Brady & Manning, a QB that can do that.

And thanks for showing my posts that PROVE I did not say Brees would be no better than Cassel or EJ.

I said I did not know if Brees would be any better. But like I said, I would not want to gamble $20 Mill to find out.

better days
03-14-2015, 10:40 AM
And I am focusing on last season for Brees because I think his play has declined.

Mario on the other hand shows no signs of slowing down.

Mr. Pink
03-14-2015, 11:27 AM
And the Saints are going to pay Brees HUGE money to finish 7-9 or 8-8 again this year.

At the end of the year, Brees will be RICHER & another year older.

Saints fans will have a lot to cheer about.

And 7-9 or 8-8 could potentially win that pitiful division.

No, the Bucs aren't on the rise this year either. :rofl:

better days
03-14-2015, 11:36 AM
And 7-9 or 8-8 could potentially win that pitiful division.

No, the Bucs aren't on the rise this year either. :rofl:

8-8 would have won the division last year.

That was my point about Brees & his ability.

Who does not think Manning or Brady would have won if they were the Saints QB last year?

And the thing is Brees has the power to make the Saints a BETTER team by restructuring his contract.

It baffles me that Brees refuses to do that.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-14-2015, 11:53 AM
How often have we been told it is the QB that WINS Championships?

Mario is not a QB. Brees is a QB, he is just not a QB like Brady or Manning that can carry a team on his back.

But Brees wants to be PAID like a Brady & Manning, a QB that can do that.

Mario is not a QB, but he's paid like a QB at a less impactful position. I like Mario Williams a lot, and I like what he brings to this defense. But I would trade him and his contract in a heartbeat for a franchise QB.

And thanks for showing my posts that PROVE I did not say Brees would be no better than Cassel or EJ.

I said I did not know if Brees would be any better. But like I said, I would not want to gamble $20 Mill to find out.

Hide behind weasel words if you like. Brees is unquestionably a Hall of Fame QB, while Cassel is a career backup and Manuel has yet to prove he belongs in the league. Barring injury, how would EJ or Cassel outplay him? QB is the one position that really shouldn't be Moneyballed, paying a premium for performance is justified because the dropoff can be staggering.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-14-2015, 11:55 AM
And the thing is Brees has the power to make the Saints a BETTER team by restructuring his contract.

It baffles me that Brees refuses to do that.

He said publicly that he would, and as of last spring the Saints hadn't tried. I don't know what terms they are offering.