PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: Bills sign Harvin

Dude
03-13-2015, 01:40 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Oh boy: Bills reached agreement on 1-year deal with WR Percy Harvin, per source. Buffalo spending bills; add Harvin, McCoy, Incognito.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/576464487672332288">March 13, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

justasportsfan
03-13-2015, 01:43 PM
I hope McCoy is a good QB who can get Watkins, Wood and Harvin the ball.

psubills62
03-13-2015, 01:48 PM
If only for a year, probably a prove it deal. Interesting.

Tatonka
03-13-2015, 01:51 PM
i dont know how anyone could possibly hate on this deal. 1 year prove it deal to a dynamic playmaker. he gets in with enough time to learn the offense with everyone else. this is a great signing.

Don't Panic
03-13-2015, 01:52 PM
Let's just hope Rex doesn't run out of his motivational fairy dust... if he does, the locker room could get interesting.

Night Train
03-13-2015, 01:52 PM
This screams Cassel at QB, if they want all these guys getting the ball.

Manuel better have the camp of his life.

justasportsfan
03-13-2015, 01:53 PM

At the rate EJ gets his receivers killed, we still need to bring in 2 more

IlluminatusUIUC
03-13-2015, 01:56 PM

Manuel has a propensity to overthrow, and we really have the smallest group of pass catchers Ive ever seen. Cassel it is then.

Meathead
03-13-2015, 01:58 PM
well hes a hell of an athlete and rex has had success before with those kinds of gadget players like brad smith

with as much as rex has talked about ej needing to run more i wonder if roman is planning to try the read option again

in any event, no excuses for ej. well unless they have one of the worst olines in football again

gr8slayer
03-13-2015, 02:18 PM
You can never have too many guys who can play:, KR, PR, RB, and WR; good pick up.

Mr. Cynical
03-13-2015, 02:20 PM
At the rate EJ gets his receivers killed, we still need to bring in 2 more

:rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

Now just get Brees and I'll start packing for the SB.

SpikedLemonade
03-13-2015, 02:23 PM
Do they cut Thigpen now?

Shady25
03-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Shady approves.

Jan Reimers
03-13-2015, 02:43 PM
Great signing. He can be a big play, game-changer if he has his head on straight and his skills still in tact. If not, it's only a one year deal and we can dump him.

But I think he gives us one more weapon in our arsenal, a potentially BIG weapon.

The Jokeman
03-13-2015, 02:46 PM
Do they cut Thigpen now?

Why? He's making very little money. I say at the least keep Thigpen around for the preseason as I doubt we make Percy return kicks in the preseason and risk an injury. Yet Percy's presence could impact Goodwin's roster spot too.

Ed
03-13-2015, 02:49 PM
Why? He's making very little money. I say at the least keep Thigpen around for the preseason as I doubt we make Percy return kicks in the preseason and risk an injury. Yet Percy's presence could impact Goodwin's roster spot too.
Yeah no need to cut him right now. His cap hit is only 660k and even if they cut him they don't really save anything since another minimal contract would just take his place in the top 51 salaries that count towards the cap.

RedEyE
03-13-2015, 02:51 PM
He adds nothing to the team. They had better find a TE.

The Jokeman
03-13-2015, 02:53 PM

Nothing? He's a dynamic return man, a starting caliber WR who can be a pass and rushing threat. Percy talent brings a lot of talent to the table. Now if we can find away to use it that's another question.

SeatownBillsFan21
03-13-2015, 02:54 PM
Wow I must say the Rex effect is in full swing. Percy had a good relationship w our WR coach as well this is a good signing now go get me a OL FA and draft another in the 3rd than trade up to get Max Willams and I'm ready to roll.

[COLOR="silver"]- - - Updated

SeatownBillsFan21
03-13-2015, 02:55 PM

This is a joke right

Night Train
03-13-2015, 02:58 PM

Say hello to the draft.

Adds nothing ..yeah OK...Any guy that causes a few D players to shift adds a lot.

RedEyE
03-13-2015, 03:06 PM
He's a 4th option WR. STs - he will rarely see the field with this stingy Bills D. Delegate that return position to one of the several other speed players on this team. Stupid spending when they have glaring holes.

- - - Updated - - -

AKA - Devin Hester in a Falcons uniform

Mike13
03-13-2015, 03:07 PM
the AFCE is so incestious.

RedEyE
03-13-2015, 03:08 PM
All of that assuming he keeps his nose clean.

Dozerdog
03-13-2015, 03:11 PM
He's a 4th option WR. STs - he will rarely see the field with this stingy Bills D. Delegate that return position to one of the several other speed players on this team. Stupid spending when they have glaring holes.

- - - Updated - - -

Perfect role. We are not signing him to be that 100 catch 1300 yard 12 touchdown guy

He's that guy who will bust a punt for a TD or a reverse for 30 yards when we need it. I love what the Bills are doing this year so far.

RedEyE
03-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Exactly how many skilled players are the Bills picking up with the 7 draft picks (4 of them 5th round and lower) this season?

Buffalogic
03-13-2015, 03:14 PM
We needed a slot receiver and we got the best of the bunch. What's the problem?

RedEyE
03-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Perfect role. We are not signing him to be that 100 catch 1300 yard 12 touchdown guy

He's that guy who will bust a punt for a TD or a reverse for 30 yards when we need it. I love what the Bills are doing this year so far.
Whats up DD?!

I'm not crapping on the off season... just this signing. Unnecessary in my opinion. I'm a bit perturbed they let Chandler go without having an immediate backup. Time will tell. But I think someone screwed the pooch on that one.

casdhf
03-13-2015, 03:18 PM
Our offense is screens and drags. We can win.

cookie G
03-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Manuel has a propensity to overthrow, and we really have the smallest group of pass catchers Ive ever seen. Cassel it is then.

God Help Us.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QbGS9oVNRmY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EJ, I implore you...get better.

Mr. Pink
03-13-2015, 03:38 PM

- - - Updated - - -

He's a third option WR.

Sorry, Chris Hogan is not ahead of him.

And depending on the chemistry developed, he may end up being the 2nd option.

YardRat
03-13-2015, 03:38 PM
Any details on the money?

kingJofNYC
03-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Chris Hogan, god, please don't bring him up, he's awful.

I don't care about TE as much, because OL our is an even bigger hole, need upgrades or huge development by the young guys or none of this matters.

EDS
03-13-2015, 03:54 PM
I get the feeling that the best free agent signings this season will be the guys on the one year deals like Harvin, Fairley, Knighton, etc.

Crisis
03-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Why does Chris Hogan get so much hate here? He's solid.

I wouldn't put him anywhere near Harvin's level but he's a productive solid depth WR

Bills Juggernaut
03-13-2015, 04:01 PM
Deal not done. Hearing SF is coming in late.........

YardRat
03-13-2015, 04:18 PM
I get the feeling that the best free agent signings this season will be the guys on the one year deals like Harvin, Fairley, Knighton, etc.

Who did Knighton sign with?

IlluminatusUIUC
03-13-2015, 04:23 PM
Who did Knighton sign with?

Redskins

gr8slayer
03-13-2015, 04:25 PM

I wouldn't put him anywhere near Harvin's level but he's a productive solid depth WR

He's white.

The Jokeman
03-13-2015, 04:31 PM
Rut roh the 49ers might be trying to pull a "Jordan Cameron" and sign Harvin from us

Multiple sources say it's not over until Percy Harvin signs. Told "he will probably wind up in Buffalo but SF is trying" #Bills #49ers

https://twitter.com/NBCdianna/status/576508013491548160

YardRat
03-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Redskins

Double-balls.

Night Train
03-13-2015, 04:39 PM
Vic Carucci ‏@viccarucci 1m1 minute ago
Percy Harvin is joining the #Bills, despite any other report to the contrary.

Ed
03-13-2015, 04:41 PM

The Jokeman
03-13-2015, 04:41 PM

Gotta love twitter wars, I tend to trust Vic more since he seems to be scooping all the Bills signings.

Meathead
03-13-2015, 04:53 PM
its like they say, women are from omicron percy harvin 7, men are from omicron percy harvin 9

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-13-2015, 05:01 PM
i'm gonna be a broken record and say i'd still like to know who's blocking for all those shiny new toys...

X-Era
03-13-2015, 05:05 PM
1 yr 6 mill

Novacane
03-13-2015, 05:08 PM
i'm gonna be a broken record and say i'd still like to know who's blocking for all those shiny new toys...

EJ Manuel

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-13-2015, 05:09 PM
EJ Manuel

HA. he couldn't have been worse than the turnstile we had last year. lol

Meathead
03-13-2015, 05:27 PM

been wondering that all along too. all this other stuff could go out the window if they field a unit as bad as last seasons

they say this is an excellent draft for olineman, but considering the low quality picks they have its questionable they could find a quality starter there unless they used their first two picks and even then its a gamble

whaley has been pretty good at picking up lineman talent off the waiver wire, at least good enough for lower end starter duty. maybe they feel they can cash in then

they must feel like theyve got a pretty good plan to address that. if not it could derail the whole season. ej would look like crap, shady would look like hes washed up, sammy would look like a bust. theyve done a nice job getting some of the pieces they need so far, hoping they know what they are doing on the oline

Dr. Lecter
03-13-2015, 05:40 PM
1 yr 6 mill

That should be fireable.

What a joke. What an horrendous idea for a gimmick

BillsImpossible
03-13-2015, 05:47 PM
That should be fireable.

What a joke. What an horrendous idea for a gimmick

After Harvin catches his first TD for the Bills, I don't think you'll call this signing a joke.

Watkins, Woods, and Harvin or Watkins, Woods, and Hogan?

DraftBoy
03-13-2015, 05:50 PM
$6 million for Harvin? Wow that seems expensive.

YardRat
03-13-2015, 06:01 PM
After Harvin catches his first TD for the Bills, I don't think you'll call this signing a joke.

Watkins, Wood, Hogan, and a 6mil guard.

wmoz11
03-13-2015, 06:11 PM

If if there was a guard available worth 6M I would agree, but I'm not seeing it.

BillsImpossible
03-13-2015, 06:11 PM

Throwing big money at a guard has never worked well for the Bills. I'd rather draft a guard in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The free agency market for lineman has been surprisingly quiet. Probably because teams know that the draft has a lot of offensive line talent to offer for much less than $6 million a season.

USC_Gamecock
03-13-2015, 06:15 PM
HA. he couldn't have been worse than the turnstile we had last year. lol

This is the biggest exaggeration by a lot of people on here. Buffalo had the 13th most pass attempts, and they were in the middle of the league in sacks given up with 39: http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks

Could it improve? Definitely. Is it mission critical? No. Did that inept offense make everything look worse? Again, definitely.

YardRat
03-13-2015, 06:16 PM
If if there was a guard available worth 6M I would agree, but I'm not seeing it.

Not now, I agree.

Throwing big money at a guard has never worked well for the Bills. I'd rather draft a guard in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The free agency market for lineman has been surprisingly quiet. Probably because teams know that the draft has a lot of offensive line talent to offer for much less than $6 million a season.

I'm OK drafting a couple and rolling with that.

Maybe a better response would have been Watkins, Woods, Hogan, a $3mil tight end and a $3mil nose tackle.

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-13-2015, 06:25 PM
This is the biggest exaggeration by a lot of people on here. Buffalo had the 13th most pass attempts, and they were in the middle of the league in sacks given up with 39: http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks

Could it improve? Definitely. Is it mission critical? No. Did that inept offense make everything look worse? Again, definitely.

yea. how was the running game last year? and do you not think that the line had something to do with that?

Novacane
03-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Maybe they think the coaching/scheme had a lot to do with the poor OL play. Not saying I agree but that may be what OBD is thinking.

USC_Gamecock
03-13-2015, 06:29 PM
yea. how was the running game last year? and do you not think that the line had something to do with that?

I don't blame that on the line. That's on our RB's, their injuries, and the opponents telegraphing every play our offense was going to run.

Not putting that 100% on the OL. People always want a smoking gun, sometimes it's just a few things put together. Our OL was not nearly great or perfect, but I have them in the pretty good category.

wmoz11
03-13-2015, 06:30 PM
Remember they offered Bulaga more money than he took in Green Bay. This org knows we need help there. Just hard to come by at a decent price right now. Still think getting a guard in the draft to compete with last years guys will be helpful

YardRat
03-13-2015, 06:44 PM
I don't blame that on the line. That's on our RB's, their injuries, and the opponents telegraphing every play our offense was going to run.

Not putting that 100% on the OL. People always want a smoking gun, sometimes it's just a few things put together. Our OL was not nearly great or perfect, but I have them in the pretty good category.

Our oline last year was no where near 'pretty good'.

USC_Gamecock
03-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Our oline last year was no where near 'pretty good'.

I disagree. Calling a draw on 3rd and 15 right into a blitz up the middle, repetitively, isn't exactly genius. Then toss it down the middle to Chandler once in a blue moon in the same situation.

Not holding the OL 100% accountable for that.

Bills fans in general are used to blaming the OL first, and most of the time it was warranted. I'm doubting it this off-season. Getting Bulaga would make any line better -- so I don't blame them for going after him. It's not because our OL sucks, it's an effort to make it better.

Mace
03-13-2015, 07:31 PM
I guess I'm not sure what the excitement is about. I think they just hired a Spiller who played on better teams with a clue of how to use him.

Buffalogic
03-13-2015, 07:32 PM
We have roman now not Hackett. He will find a way.

Dr. Lecter
03-13-2015, 07:33 PM

Hogan scored TDs last year too

Harvin has been kicked off 3 teams.. And they just gave him 6 million.

It's way, way too much.

Especially with Urbik starting at guard and Cragg starting at TE

Mace
03-13-2015, 07:36 PM

Yes but they can renegotiate and spread his dead cap to add a few hundred more to the offer they haven't made for Clay yet !

feldspar
03-13-2015, 08:23 PM
Harvin has been kicked off 3 teams..

LOL. He was traded twice and released once. Where do you get "kicked off of a team" when he was traded for a first and third round pick? That's what the Seahawks gave up to get him. Do you get some kind of kick to make yourself miserable by making things up? Or are you just spreading propaganda? What?

There is little risk in a prove it deal.

Skooby
03-13-2015, 08:28 PM
If Harvin plays up to his potential, we'll have a monster 1A / 1B WR combo.

Dr. Lecter
03-13-2015, 09:10 PM
LOL. He was traded twice and released once. Where do you get "kicked off of a team" when he was traded for a first and third round pick? That's what the Seahawks gave up to get him. Do you get some kind of kick to make yourself miserable by making things up? Or are you just spreading propaganda? What?

this is fun

Last week I was a homer. Now I'm too negative. Guess I'm doing something right.

Minnesota wanted him gone. Seattle gave him away. the Jets cut him

The guy is a PITA who often does not play up to his talent. He's making 6 million this year, and that money could towards a guard in trade or to Clay or to Dareus when they re-do his deal.

And he'll knock Chris Hogan off the field. Now, Hogan is adequate at best. But he fills a role. The question who will throw Harvin the ball? And will he have time to do it?

Do they take opportunities away from Watkins? McCoy?

There were much bigger needs than a guy like Harvin

IlluminatusUIUC
03-13-2015, 10:21 PM

Seattle ate almost 7 million in dead money and traded him mid-season to get a conditional 6th round pick. You wouldn't call that "kicked off"?

feldspar
03-13-2015, 10:54 PM
Seattle ate almost 7 million in dead money and traded him mid-season to get a conditional 6th round pick. You wouldn't call that "kicked off"?

LOL, let's argue about how Shady McCoy isn't 26-years-old some more instead.

I wouldn't say Harvin was "kicked out" of Seattle, either. Could have had a lot to do with his six-year $67 million contract that they wanted to dump...could have played in. But if he was a problem in the lockerroom as has been reported, you generally don't have too much of a problem about that with guys on a one-year deal. He's under the microscope about how he's being perceived here, and he must know that unless he's' a complete idiot. I'm not too worried about him making waves. I think the Bills will have a strong locker-room this year, regardless. I just get that feeling. If Percy Harvin has talent, I feel good about taking a shot with him.

Dunno, did Fitzpatrick get "kicked off" the Buffalo Bills team. Riddle me that. We ate more dead money with him, didn't we? Dropped him with nothing in return. One thing is for sure...Harvin wasn't "kicked out" of Minnesota. They got a LOT in that trade.

I'm not saying Harvin will totally work out here. That remains to be seen, but it's entertaining to me to see what happens with him in Buffalo. And I'm a fan to be entertained.

better days
03-13-2015, 11:12 PM
I guess I'm not sure what the excitement is about. I think they just hired a Spiller who played on better teams with a clue of how to use him.

Spiller turned down $4.5 Mill offer from the Bills.

So like Marrone, he was replaced by someone better.

BertSquirtgum
03-14-2015, 12:16 AM

It's way, way too much.

6 million too much, for what the NFL considers to be a great NFL receiver and return threat? I don't think so. It's not like they gave him a 24 million dollar 4 year contract. They gave him a one year deal to see if he can act like a normal human being for the whole year.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-14-2015, 12:40 AM
LOL, let's argue about how Shady McCoy isn't 26-years-old some more instead.

How old will McCoy be on opening day?

I wouldn't say Harvin was "kicked out" of Seattle, either. Could have had a lot to do with his six-year $67 million contract that they wanted to dump...could have played in. But if he was a problem in the lockerroom as has been reported, you generally don't have too much of a problem about that with guys on a one-year deal. He's under the microscope about how he's being perceived here, and he must know that unless he's' a complete idiot. I'm not too worried about him making waves. I think the Bills will have a strong locker-room this year, regardless. I just get that feeling. If Percy Harvin has talent, I feel good about taking a shot with him.

Harvin does have talent, but call it what it is. He was traded off a Super Bowl contender that was desperate for wideouts for piddling return.

Dunno, did Fitzpatrick get "kicked off" the Buffalo Bills team. Riddle me that. We ate more dead money with him, didn't we? Dropped him with nothing in return.

We did and he was, though for performance reasons rather than locker room reasons.

HHURRICANE
03-14-2015, 04:47 AM

Did you watch him play last year? He's a hell of a player.

YardRat
03-14-2015, 04:53 AM
It appears Harvin, much like Revis but on a smaller scale, has put himself in a nice position to game the system. He brings just enough to the table that some dumbass team will always pony up decent bucks for his services but because of his personality won't want to commit anything long term. So he makes his six mil, and moves on to the next dumbass, next season, and does the same thing. He's going to end up a pretty wealthy individual with an iffy resume.

swiper
03-14-2015, 05:12 AM
I don't get this signing. Seems like a luxury pick-up for a team with a lot to prove and no real good QB.

The only thing more mystifying is them cutting Chandler with no other (real) TE under contract. I see a lot of fans criticizing Chandler here, but he made far more clutch grabs than he had drops. Far more. Belichick knows how good Chandler is. He snatched him right up. Brady, who actually has touch on his passes, will make Chandler look like Gronk. Book it.

Night Train
03-14-2015, 05:36 AM

It's way, way too much.

I'm not endorsing the signing at all...but to mention Harvin and Hogan in the same breath is humorous.

Hogan doesn't cause a D to shift on one side of the field, when in motion. Harvin creates a domino effect which gives himself or another teammate a mismatch advantage, which only a handful of NFL players are capable of. Jet sweeps, slants, fly patterns. He's scored or made huge plays doing this all his life.

I'm sure Rex isn't shoving this down Romans' throat. He's more than happy to have him.

A far bigger weapon than Charles Clay or any TE. I still don't get that whole love affair.

OL and TE in the draft. This has been a great off-season, starting with the hiring of Rex.

Mr. Pink
03-14-2015, 06:02 AM

Maybe the fact he runs routes short of first downs consistently has something to do with that.

Or the fact that he could be replaced by any other teams 4th receiver and there would be no difference.

He's not solid. He's not quality. He's a warm body at the receiver position that could be swapped for another warm body at the receiver position.

HHURRICANE
03-14-2015, 06:16 AM
It appears Harvin, much like Revis but on a smaller scale, has put himself in a nice position to game the system. He brings just enough to the table that some dumbass team will always pony up decent bucks for his services but because of his personality won't want to commit anything long term. So he makes his six mil, and moves on to the next dumbass, next season, and does the same thing. He's going to end up a pretty wealthy individual with an iffy resume.

Or the Bills have figured out what the Pats have Ben doing. Bring a guy in for a year or two to help you win without a long term commitment.

If they double on Watkins, Harvin is a dangerous alternative.

I like this pick up a lot.

Dr. Lecter
03-14-2015, 09:09 AM
6 million too much, for what the NFL considers to be a great NFL receiver and return threat? I don't think so. It's not like they gave him a 24 million dollar 4 year contract. They gave him a one year deal to see if he can act like a normal human being for the whole year.
Great NFL receiver?

On what planet?

better days
03-14-2015, 09:19 AM
Great NFL receiver?

On what planet?

Harvin is what we were told CJ was when the Bills drafted him....a dynamic playmaker.

LVGrown
03-14-2015, 09:26 AM
It was Harvin that ran back that huuge punt return against the Giants a few years back right? Does he become our punt/kick off returner?

better days
03-14-2015, 09:29 AM
It was Harvin that ran back that huuge punt return against the Giants a few years back right? Does he become our punt/kick off returner?

I would think so.

Harvin ran back the opening kick of the second half for a TD for the Seahawks two years ago in the Super Bowl.

LVGrown
03-14-2015, 09:33 AM
I would think so.

Harvin ran back the opening kick of the second half for a TD for the Seahawks two years ago in the Super Bowl.

Not waiting for McKelvin to fumble the ball every time he touches it is worth the 6 million alone.