My opinion on the o-line.. if anyone cares...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

My opinion on the o-line.. if anyone cares...

i see a lot of concern over the oline. i feel like some of it is unjustified.

Im totally ok with glenn and LT. im totally ok with wood at center. Im totally ok with incognito at RG. they have shown they can play at a high level in the past. i dont think they will be an issue. we drafted three guys last year. Richardson is a big road grader.. did he play well last year, no, he didnt, but that doesnt mean he cant improve. Same with Henderson and Kouandijo. I know many were disappointed Kouandijo as well. but hes a true right tackle and has talent. Henderson played extremely well for much of the year last year. he struggled at times as most rookies do, but there was a lot of value with that pick, especially where we got him. All three have the potential to be starters. The bills still believe they can and will improve. and im not ready to throw them in a trash heap after how bad our offensive playcalling was last year under that idiot OC. it was horrid. Kouandijo may end up fighting with Richardson for the LG spot. We also still have Chris Williams, who, as a back up, im fine with.

I am confident that they will add a few guys. whether that is in the draft or June 1st cuts, i dont know. i know that i dont see ANYONE out there right now that im overly impressed with. I dont know that i saw anyone from the start of free agency that i was in love with and worth the big money that was thrown around. I really just dont think our oline situation is as bad as its made out to be. could it be better, yes, but isour team going to crash and burn with what we have? i dont believe so. maybe i have blinders on, or maybe im just not panicing too early. time will tell.

Good read here by the way. if you didnt see this article.

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: My opinion on the o-line.. if anyone cares...

I agree. All 3 rookies from last year could/should improve.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Kouandijo gets one more shot. Went to LeCharles Bentley's OL camp recently ( former Buckeye and Saints Center ) to work on technique. Hopefully learned how to get out of his stance quicker.

I've posted many times that OL help can be found in this draft. The name FA's were never coming here and that was a thin class.

New coaching staff means fresh eyes. Always like that. Everyone has to earn their spot.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Mace
        Haha...yeah you think so ?
        • Mar 2013

I'm fine with them. Theoretically they have a better o-line coach and OC (just no way they can't) and running game is more forgiving than 40 attempts per game ridiculous zone pass blocking.

I'm still not real sure what Kromer brings to the table, but I'm pretty sure Roman is not an idiot.

I think that o-line was a cluster-f last year because of staff.

Comment

• Scumbag College
          • Oct 2002

I'm not as down on Chris Williams as pretty much everyone else in here as far as talent goes. He's as average as there can be, but he's not going to kill the team like some of the G's that have played on the Bills the past few years. The OL played OK-well the first four games of the year before Williams was Ir'ed. If he is the Opening Day LG starter, I don't think that the year is lost and it would be a total disaster. I'm more concerned about his durability.
          Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

Bills O-line really regressed under Marrone. They're all better now that he left.

Comment

• Goobylal
              • Jan 2004

I'm expecting Incognito to play LG because that's where he made the Pro Bowl with Miami in 2012. I think that the RG spot is where you'll see the competition from the younger guys and Chris Williams, if they don't add a proven guy like Jahri Evans.

Comment

• Meathead
                Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                • Jul 2002

im also not sold on wood. good centers raise the level of play of the guys around them. wood doesnt seem to be able to do that. also doesnt seem to do well against better tackles. hes not bad just not really very good
                One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                  im also not sold on wood. good centers raise the level of play of the guys around them. wood doesnt seem to be able to do that. also doesnt seem to do well against better tackles. hes not bad just not really very good
                  Horse****. How can he play well when he can't decide who to help? Both guard positions were closer in comparison to turnstiles rather than NFL guards.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Here was the offensive line roster as of 1/1/15, starters in red, () = IR, **= practice squad.

G--Urbik, Pears/UFA, Richardson (C.Williams)*Campbell, Morrell*
                    OT--Glenn, Henderson, Hairston/UFA, Kuondijo
                    C--Wood

Although I agree completely that coaching played a major part in last season's cluster****, there remains a pretty high priority to upgrade talent, most obviously at G.

Glenn is a given at LT. Urbik is solid depth, an average starter, maybe, and also may end up being a cap cut.. Wood can play, but he is average and IMO would like an upgrade at center. Pears blows, CWilliams was just OK, and Richardson was benched. Henderson acquitted himself well for a seventh round rookie but struggled a lot late. The Hairston experiment is over, KuJo underwhelmed and is the biggest unknown. Realistically, the roster (without additions except for Incognito) should look like this at this point...

G-- Richardson, (C.Williams), Incognito.
                    OT--Glenn, Henderson, Kuondijo
                    C--Wood

Glenn, maybe Wood are the only givens at this time. The rest are question marks that we have to expect an improvement over last season, or in Incognito's case a return to form from three seasons ago. If the rookies from last season don't progress, we have exactly two, maybe three viable offensive linemen (Glenn, Wood, Incognito), two of which are on short leashes career-wise (Wood and Incognito), one who will be cashing in (Glenn) and zero depth. Draft picks are fine ti fill a couple of holes, but that's an awful lot of faith put into development of young players. Maybe in three or four years it will pay off in spades, but for this season I would prefer to have a couple of decent vets added to the mix that can play while the kids are learning. I would be thrilled to be able to look into the future and see a dominant oline made up of Glenn-Richardson-Young Mauler-Draft pick-Henderson with KuJo as swing tackle/guard back-up (or even starting at G or OT), but that still begs the neccesity for two new starters and three new depth guys.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• sudzy
                      • Apr 2013

Yes, I would like to believe that the rookies will improve this year and also I believe Marrone/Morris played a huge role in how bad the O-line was. But, seeing as though they are going to this "ground and pound" offense, would I bet the season on it? I'd rather not.

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

The top 3 and Miller are 4 Guards that could start immediately, IMO.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                          • Mar 2005

Glenn-Incognito-Woods-Williams-Henderson is your line.

Richardson to me is the only one that might break on above. Kujuando will be cut.

Comment

• Swiper
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2010

I am pretty happy with what they have already. They need a guard in the draft. One that can be a back-up center. But isn't Incognito going to play left guard?

Gotta agree that all three lineman from last year's draft will likely look better this year. New coaching staff and a year under their belt will help. And Kuoandijo's going to skill's camp shows he wants to improve.

They need some answers at TE, but otherwise the line will be better this year.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                              • Jun 2024

A lot of hoping and seeing the glass as half full here.

Comment

Working...
                              X