PDA

View Full Version : Screw Clay -- Sign C Stefen Wisniewski and TE Rob Housler for the Same Money

SpikedLemonade
03-15-2015, 05:18 PM
The thought of paying Clay $8M or more doesn't sit well with me. He has never been a Pro Bowler. He is undersized for a TE. There is a gadgetry aspect to him. We already have Harvin with a multiple role. We went and got the best FB so do we need a H-Back?

C Stefan Wisniewski is out there and we can slide him or Wood to the Guard position. Wisniewski is only 25 years old and has started every game he has played in the 4 years since he was drafted. He has only missed 3 games in 4 years.

TE Rob Housler is an athletic TE that was misused last year in Zona. He is 26 years old and 6'5" and unlike Chandler he can run after the catch.

We could probably sign both for a combined $8M and plug 2 starting position holes leaving the 2nd and 3rd round picks for the best available OL or DL.

Let the Fish keep Clay and spend $14M on TEs.

SpikedLemonade
03-15-2015, 05:31 PM
At the 2011 NFL Combine, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds, the fastest time among any TE at the event.

Novacane
03-15-2015, 05:43 PM
I'm in for this plan!

SpikedLemonade
03-15-2015, 05:46 PM
Wisniewsk is being courted by the Seahawks and the Bucs. He will cost us $5.5M per year max.

Housler is not being pursued by anyone that I can see. He will cost $2.5M per year max.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-15-2015, 06:07 PM
I would love that plan.

sudzy
03-15-2015, 06:09 PM
I'm there. And good TEs can be had in the 2nd.

YardRat
03-15-2015, 06:13 PM
I'm in for this plan!

I would love that plan.

Me three!

SpikedLemonade
03-15-2015, 06:16 PM
I would like to see what Roman's offense looks like before committing a big cap hit on a TE or a high draft pick on a rookie TE. Rookie TEs historically struggle.

Roman had an elite TE in San Fran and pretty much ignored him this past year. It looks like he wants more of a blocker than a move TE.

Give Roman the OL he needs to ground and pound rather than one more slash type player that he may not want to fully utilize.

kingJofNYC
03-15-2015, 06:27 PM
I'll take Wiz in a heartbeat.

SpikedLemonade
03-15-2015, 07:02 PM
It would be great to have Wiz visit Buffalo early this week.

Meathead
03-15-2015, 08:36 PM
im pretty sure i could arrange to have a wiz at your house if you want

DraftBoy
03-16-2015, 05:01 AM
Housler is not being pursued by anyone that I can see. He will cost $2.5M per year max.

Housler is in Atlanta today for a visit.

Also he has hands that may be on par with Chandler and his routes are just bad. He's quite athletic but his routes are off so it negates a lot of his athleticism.

SpikedLemonade
03-16-2015, 08:26 AM
Housler is in Atlanta today for a visit.

Also he has hands that may be on par with Chandler and his routes are just bad. He's quite athletic but his routes are off so it negates a lot of his athleticism.

There are reasons why he would come cheap.

Tatonka
03-16-2015, 08:33 AM
in 2013, also under Roman, Davis had

2013 San Francisco 49ers 52 catches 850 yards 16 TDs

I don't think its fair to say he doesn't use the TE. I think last year was an abnormality

Buckets
03-16-2015, 09:38 AM
How do we get it done???

ICRockets
03-16-2015, 09:50 AM
I don't think Eric Wood is good enough to not have competition at center, so I would love to bring in Wiz.

SpikedLemonade
03-16-2015, 10:19 AM
We do tend to overrate Wood, but it is due to his performance relative to the rest of our OL.

DraftBoy
03-16-2015, 10:28 AM
There are reasons why he would come cheap.

So the solution to our TE issue is to bring in a smaller and faster version of Scott Chandler who runs worse routes? By that logic I'd rather just keep Gray and Gragg and see what they can do in an offense better designed to utilize athletic TE's and H-Backs.

Dr. Who
03-16-2015, 10:36 AM
Wisniewski makes a lot of sense.

Pinkerton Security
03-16-2015, 11:03 AM
I'd be OK with this.

GvilleBills
03-16-2015, 11:07 AM
I'm on board

SpikedLemonade
03-16-2015, 12:13 PM
So the solution to our TE issue is to bring in a smaller and faster version of Scott Chandler who runs worse routes? By that logic I'd rather just keep Gray and Gragg and see what they can do in an offense better designed to utilize athletic TE's and H-Backs.

Housler is a cheap solution but I would have no problem going with Gray and Gragg.

Improving the OL is the key.

Who said that this offense is better designed to utilize athletic TEs and H-Backs?

THATHURMANATOR
03-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Who said that this offense is better designed to utilize athletic TEs and H-Backs?

Probably because of Vernon Davis and how he was utilized by Roman in San Francisco.

SpikedLemonade
03-16-2015, 04:30 PM
Probably because of Vernon Davis and how he was utilized by Roman in San Francisco.

Until last year.

A ground and pound game does not need to have those elements.

DraftBoy
03-16-2015, 07:12 PM
Housler is a cheap solution but I would have no problem going with Gray and Gragg.

Improving the OL is the key.

Roman's track record with guys like Vernon Davis, and Delanie Walker.

stuckincincy
03-16-2015, 07:57 PM
Roman's track record with guys like Vernon Davis, and Delanie Walker.

Hmmm - this Roman chap comes on the scene and all of a sudden the BUF team is primed become an unstoppable force. Why did his former team not keep this wunderkind?

BertSquirtgum
03-17-2015, 12:44 AM
Bills are dumb. They should have already done this. Clay is not a world beater.

Topas
03-17-2015, 03:30 AM
Hmmm - this Roman chap comes on the scene and all of a sudden the BUF team is primed become an unstoppable force. Why did his former team not keep this wunderkind?

Well, I think there were many reasons included that have nothing to do with performance. The 49ers are falling apart. Now a 24y old LB retired. After Willis. Everybody seems to leave the sinking ship. I do think that Harbaugh is an idiot. But somehow everything falls apart without him. Maybe the owners wanted a yes man and did not ask Roman to become head coach. Maybe Roman did not want. maybe they did not want him because of his performance. But I would not bet on that latter one. And even if true, I dont really trust their judgement.

DraftBoy
03-17-2015, 05:10 AM

Harbaugh guy, and I'm not saying he's an unstoppable force. Just seems odd that the solution to a TE problem is to get a guy whose plainly worse because he's able to run faster. We already have that.

DraftBoy
03-17-2015, 05:12 AM
Well, I think there were many reasons included that have nothing to do with performance. The 49ers are falling apart. Now a 24y old LB retired. After Willis. Everybody seems to leave the sinking ship. I do think that Harbaugh is an idiot. But somehow everything falls apart without him. Maybe the owners wanted a yes man and did not ask Roman to become head coach. Maybe Roman did not want. maybe they did not want him because of his performance. But I would not bet on that latter one. And even if true, I dont really trust their judgement.

Chris Borland retiring had little to nothing to do with the 49ers and what is going on behind the scenes there. You're going to see more players retire early in the next couple of decades until the NFL starts to actually give a **** about the real threat that concussion pose to their players long term.

SpikedLemonade
03-17-2015, 10:05 AM
Bills are dumb. They should have already done this. Clay is not a world beater.

It is puzzling why they value Clay so highly.

Thus far he has been underwhelming in his career.

paladin warrior
03-17-2015, 10:20 AM
For cry out loud .Just let him go . Clay is not worthy with cap. Get Maxx William for heaven sakes.

psubills62
03-17-2015, 10:27 AM
Weird situation.

Almost wonder if some of the rumors about Buffalo forming a deal that Miami would have trouble matching are trying to push Miami to remove the transition tag.

gr8slayer
03-17-2015, 11:13 AM
Housler is all talent, but can't play football worth a damn.

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2015, 12:30 PM
Housler is all talent, but can't play football worth a damn.
Holy **** where have you been??