PDA

View Full Version : Tim Graham Says Dolphins Have, "Lost Patience," and, "Moved On," From Charles Clay

BillsImpossible
03-16-2015, 06:47 PM
Joe Buscaglia thinks the Bills will soon sign Clay.

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=462985

For now, #ClayWatch continues, with the next step likely being an offer sheet being sent over by the Bills and signed by Clay.

SpikedLemonade
03-16-2015, 06:54 PM
I hope he comes cheaper than some of the numbers initially reported.

BillsImpossible
03-16-2015, 07:04 PM
Clay's contract will more than likely be front loaded with a big signing bonus that will offset his cap hit.

I think Whaley made the right move by not giving Clay an offer sheet when he came to Buffalo last week.

That was a smart no move because it would have given Miami the upper hand in negotiations. All they would have to do is match the offer, but Whaley didn't make one.

"Strategery."

Skooby
03-16-2015, 07:04 PM
I'm not that familiar with Clay as a player, can someone please make a case to why we're hunting him ??

Mr. Miyagi
03-16-2015, 07:06 PM
The Dolphins have lost patience with him? Yeah well, so have I.

BillsImpossible
03-16-2015, 07:08 PM
I'm not that familiar with Clay as a player, can someone please make a case to why we're hunting him ??

Because the Bills have no proven tight ends on their roster after releasing Chandler, and haven't had a good tight end since when?

wmoz11
03-16-2015, 07:08 PM

Why? He isn't controlling this situation. He has nothing to do with it.

Skooby
03-16-2015, 07:10 PM
Because the Bills have no proven tight ends on their roster after releasing Chandler, and haven't had a good tight end since when?

Proven what ??

BillsImpossible
03-16-2015, 07:16 PM

Patience, Mr. Miyagi. The Dolphins had 5 days to match any offer made by another team, and the Bills were super smart not to make an offer.

Whaley had to play the game, and wait. Smart move, because Miami signed Jordan Cameron in the middle of it all.

If Whaley made an offer, Miami would have matched it by now.

Good things come to those who wait.

stuckincincy
03-16-2015, 07:22 PM

I can't.

They inked Harvin, have Watkins and Woods, McCoy who I assume will get tosses. They also dumped Chandler and Smith, both of which were scooped up and got contract $ that surprised many. I once looked up the BUF drafting of TEs - tons of them, yet never what one would call a featured receiver. The last one was Warlick, and that was 50 years ago.

If their aim is to try to pound the ball as the club seems to be implying (in the face of the liberal passing rules, duh) they should go and get a TE that is more an extra OT than a TE.

Why would they want to get a TE with nifty hands and pattern running when they seemingly aim to spread the passes to Watkins/Woods/Harvin/McCoy?

BillsImpossible
03-16-2015, 07:23 PM
Proven what ??

Oh come on! You know, those tight endzes like the Jay Riemersmasasus, Lonnie Jonhsonses, Royals's's, and Pet Metzlarzuskis of the the NFL.

"Who?"

Good point, MMD.

The Bills haven't had a good tight end since before I was born.

BillsImpossible
03-16-2015, 07:29 PM
I can't.

They inked Harvin, have Watkins and Woods, McCoy who I assume will get tosses. They also dumped Chandler and Smith, both of which were scooped up and got contract $ that surprised many. I once looked up the BUF drafting of TEs - tons of them, yet never what one would call a featured receiver. The last one was Warlick, and that was 50 years ago.

If their aim is to try to pound the ball as the club seems to be implying (in the face of the liberal passing rules, duh) they should go and get a TE that is more an extra OT than a TE.

Why would they want to get a TE with nifty hands and pattern running when they seemingly aim to spread the passes to Watkins/Woods/Harvin/McCoy?

A big nifty TE that can block and catch. That's Charles Clay.

He could seriously be the best tight end the Bills have ever had.

http://www.fantasyfootballchallenge.com/32-4-4/buffalo-bills-tight-ends.html

SpikedLemonade
03-16-2015, 07:35 PM
Clay is 6' 3" and 255 lbs. I would not call him big.

mightysimi
03-16-2015, 07:39 PM
Patience, Mr. Miyagi. The Dolphins had 5 days to match any offer made by another team, and the Bills were super smart not to make an offer.

Whaley had to play the game, and wait. Smart move, because Miami signed Jordan Cameron in the middle of it all.

If Whaley made an offer, Miami would have matched it by now.

Good things come to those who wait.

Not so sure. Back then they still had Ellerbe and Wallace on the roster. Now they have cap room and seem to me more likely to match.

BillsImpossible
03-16-2015, 07:45 PM
Tony Hunter (TE) was drafted by the Bills before Jim Kelly.

Unreal.

Makes me feel better about the Bills QB situation.

Looking like the Bills will sign Clay in the next day or two.

Just turned 26 in February. Clay is in his prime as an NFL player.

Cap hit?

Less than $5 million for his first 2 seasons.

BillsImpossible
03-16-2015, 07:59 PM

Gronk is 6'6 and 265 lbs.

Clay is 6'3 and 255 lbs.

I would not call him small either.

tomz
03-16-2015, 07:59 PM

Isn't he rather thickly built? For blocking, that can be enough. I thought I saw some nice video of him as a willing and able blocker.

Arctic Wild Man
03-16-2015, 11:19 PM

I understand your frustration with the entire scenario but you can't blame Clay. We haven't given him an offer sheet to sign. It's out of his hands unless he wants to sign a one year deal with the Phins which would be stupid on his part.

Oaf
03-17-2015, 12:30 AM

Sorry to hear. This is the offseason, ya know.

Night Train
03-17-2015, 03:55 AM
Could get one in the draft for 1/10th the price under a 3-4 year rookie contract.

Don't understand the obsession with Clay " My precious ! " but they'll do what they wish.

streetkings01
03-17-2015, 04:44 AM
Listening to Pat Kirwin on sirius yesterday he said the Bills are smart on waiting to give Clay a contract offer. He said let the Dolphins sign a couple more players, asses their cap situation then make an offer they can't match.

streetkings01
03-17-2015, 04:48 AM
Could get one in the draft for 1/10th the price under a 3-4 year rookie contract.

Don't understand the obsession with Clay " My precious ! " but they'll do what they wish.We could also draft a Gragg, Nelson, Fine or Schouman! Don't act like its so easy to just draft a TE.........Clay is proven.

YardRat
03-17-2015, 04:49 AM
Metzelaars was a damn good tight end (a sixth offensive lineman with good hands, admittedly not the fastest by far, but productive), and McKellar was a nice complement for that offense...not to mention Red-Zone Rolle. Considering the offense we're supposed to see this season, following the above formula wouldn't be a bad idea by a longshot.

DraftBoy
03-17-2015, 05:14 AM
Omar Kelly was saying last night on Twitter that there must be something going on behind the scenes between the Bills and Clay with regard to the offer because two days ago this was done as soon as the Bills made the offer, now he's saying that something is up.

Granted Kelly is an unreliable source on most things, but he does have a good relationship with a number of Dolphins players so on this he may be on to something. It's odd that we were told last week the offer was only a day away. Now it's Tuesday and there has been nothing.

Night Train
03-17-2015, 05:38 AM
We could also draft a Gragg, Nelson, Fine or Schouman! Don't act like its so easy to just draft a TE.........Clay is proven.

Understand.. but your citing a previous regime. I see 4 TE's I watched in college that would be worth with either Friday pick and beyond. (Williams, Heuerman,O'Leary, Bell & more). Plus I wish to see more of Gray and Gragg.

Bills probably like the guy but are fine either way, while Miami squirms & burns their cap space. They can afford to wait this out. Impatience of a fan base means zero.

There is only 1 ball and McCoy, Fred J, Woods, Watkins and Harvin are all going to see it many times. I'm hardly worried about choices for our QB.

swiper
03-17-2015, 05:48 AM
We could also draft a Gragg, Nelson, Fine or Schouman! Don't act like its so easy to just draft a TE.........Clay is proven.

Everyone always seems to leave out poor Tim Euhus.

sukie
03-17-2015, 07:16 AM
I was listening to the Joe Rose Show on Friday and a reporter from Buffalo was on... Don't remember who but he said his sources had Charles Clay as the #1 FA target by the Bills Front Office all along. This was the guy they were targeting from the beginning... Charles Clay is the guy.

wmoz11
03-17-2015, 09:18 AM
I was listening to the Joe Rose Show on Friday and a reporter from Buffalo was on... Don't remember who but he said his sources had Charles Clay as the #1 FA target by the Bills Front Office all along. This was the guy they were targeting from the beginning... Charles Clay is the guy.

Tim Graham tweeted the same thing; saying that the Bills front office would deem signing Charles Clay and no one else in free agency a success.

swiper
03-17-2015, 01:04 PM
I still don't see why this guy is so great.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te

better days
03-17-2015, 01:08 PM
I still don't see why this guy is so great.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te

You have to watch Clay play to see how he breaks away from tackles & how he blocks.

Those things don't show up on a stat sheet.

swiper
03-17-2015, 01:17 PM
You have to watch Clay play to see how he breaks away from tackles & how he blocks.

Those things don't show up on a stat sheet.

Admit I haven't seen him play. But the Dolphins thought that Jordan Cameron and all his concussion issues were more important. Why?

better days
03-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Admit I haven't seen him play. But the Dolphins thought that Jordan Cameron and all his concussion issues were more important. Why?

If they can keep Clay, the Fins would like to run a two TE set like the Pats* do.

But Cameron is also insurance if the Bills make Clay an offer the Fins can't match.

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2015, 02:42 PM
It's racial I tell ya.

swiper
03-17-2015, 03:14 PM
It's racial I tell ya.

Aren't we supposed to let meathead make that call?

paladin warrior
03-17-2015, 03:55 PM
Aww That to bad. Move it on . Let find a good FA OL,FA LB . Need more OL or LB