X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raptor
    • Jan 2009

OT: Question for Bills fans who are parents

I'm not a parent but to those who are, have you had any change in letting your sons play football given the rash of health issues with the game? Not so much saying that you don't let them play but has it made you pause before giving the ok?

Jake Locker at 26

Jason Worilds at 27

And now Chris Borland in his sophomore year at age 24

All three have abruptly ended their NFL careers with concerns over future injuries impacting each one to varying degrees, and this should have the NFL extremely concerned. It’s a disturbing trend that has been bubbling in the NFL for a while.

The most disturbing of the group is Borland. After a fantastic rookie year he was staring down the future of a 10 plus year career and millions of dollars. He has decided to give that up citing head injuries as a major concern. Surprising is the first word that comes to mind

Can you really blame him? An increasing number of NFL veterans are not even making it to 60. If you go to any NFL event with former players you will see a lot of them are having a very hard time with multiple physical ailments. Seeing this over and over can have a very big impact on a young player. They are sure to start asking themselves if playing the game they love is worth the lifetime of pain they may have afterword’s. Borland decided it was not for him.

This also comes at a time when the NFL is making a lot of medical and safety advancements aimed at player safety and extending careers into players late 30’s and sometimes 40’s. Despite that though football is clearly being impacted by the rash of concussions around the league and its changing the game. It’s a very impactful change that will eventually start working its way down through the channels into college, the high school level, all the way to a parent deciding whether or not they sign the release to allow their child to play the game.

The overreaction to this Borland retirement will be that most will start drafting the eulogy for the demise of the NFL. Don’t be fooled, the NFL is not going anywhere anytime soon. The NFL isn’t the NBA, it’s not a star driven league. It can take a few players deciding to end their careers early. For every Borland that retires there will be another 20 players racing at the chance to replace him...........

NFL Draft Mock Draft and Prospect Rankings Buffalo Bills Draft Preview -Fitting the Bills profootballwarroom.com
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: OT: Question for Bills fans who are parents

I am not a parent but am an uncle 6 times over and will have kids sooner rather than later, and I wont discourage my kids from playing football. I think the real issues begin to arise in college and pro football where the players are incredibly big, strong, fast. I myself was knocked unconscious in high school football - went through the concussion protocol and all that.

One thing I think should be a rule in the pros is mandatory mouth guards for everyone, regardless - with the current problems with CTE popping up and this truly becoming cause for concern, Im surprised this hasnt been more of a priority. QBs say they cant call out signals, etc, but they ALL did it in college and in HS, so why cant they in the NFL?

Comment

• jpdex12
      • Jan 2005

I have two sons now ages 13 and 15. Both play football in middle and highschool now and both played pop-warner since they were 5 yrs old. I was their head coach during their pop-warner years and always was very involved so I had first hand contact with them in making sure ALL of the kids were using the proper technique when tackling or taking a hit. That being said, there is always going to be an inherent danger playing a contact sport like this. On the same hand, there is always an inherent danger driving a car also. How do you want to live your life? People before me chose to live their life not worrying about inherent danger. I choose to live my life not worrying about inherent danger. I choose to instill this in my boys now. Basically, use common sense, be careful but give 100% in whatever you do and do it the right way. Following these simple rules helps keep you safe but like I said, there is inherent danger in a lot of things. How do you want to live life? To me, there is more to learning how to become a good man from playing the sport of football than there is worrying about getting hurt from playing it and losing out on the opportunity and chance to grow more as a man.

Not many end up playing in college and then the pros so the prolonged exposure of getting hit is less for most. Borland played a lot more football than most and has learned a lot from it. While I respect his decision I personally would have a hard time stepping away knowing someday you'll never be able to again.
      Last edited by jpdex12; 03-17-2015, 08:12 AM.
      Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

It's receiving more pub these days but it's happened before. Mike Reid was a 1st team All American DT some 40 + years ago (Outland trophy winner) and was drafted early by Cinci. Instant All-Pro in the NFL. Dominant player who in year 3 ups and retires to compose music. Stated then his concern of the long term effects.

Bills had a TE, Jan White of Ohio St. and later RB Terry Miller of Okla. St. who were both done by 24-25 , wanting to work in business instead of suffering from injuries later on.

The recent publicity/studies will only increase this number.
        Last edited by Night Train; 03-17-2015, 09:09 AM.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

If something isn't done, there will be no such thing as professional football in 10 years.

I don't know what can be done, but something. Whether it's different helmets, pads, etc. But the amount of concussions and violent hits are scary.

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

My son is still a toddler, so who knows what the game will look like by the time he reaches a playing age (and no, I don't consider anything before junior high an actual playing age). If it's similar to what it is now, I will likely discourage him and make sure he knows the risks, but I won't prevent him from playing if that's what he really wants to do.
            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
              If something isn't done, there will be no such thing as professional football in 10 years.

I don't know what can be done, but something. Whether it's different helmets, pads, etc. But the amount of concussions and violent hits are scary.
              Personally, I'd be surprised if they could ever find a way to reduce the injuries and concussions to an appropriate level without changing the very nature of the game. It's a violent sport.
              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• k-oneputt
                • Jun 2009

[QUOTE=Forward_Lateral;4073945]If something isn't done, there will be no such thing as professional football in 10 years.

Bet there is.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

I don't have children, but I will one day soon and I don't think I'd let my kids play contact football until the game and equipment is changed.

I strongly support the idea of play flag football for young kids.

Also think every youth football league should require all of its coaches to become heads up certified before they can even coach a practice.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Downinfloflo
                    Victimizing The Victimizer
                    • Aug 2012

Get them into Baseball...

Giancarlo Stanton new 13-year, $325 million contract with the Miami Marlins

Comment

• Buffalogic
                      Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                      • Feb 2006

Yeah I have a kid due any day now and if he ends up wanting to play sports I'll push for baseball. More money, less contact. Win-win.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                        Escaped Convict
                        • Jul 2002

And so it continues.

Mark my words, football as we know it will be banned by idiot, "do-gooder" politicians who "know what's best for us."

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                          • Sep 2003

My children will not be playing football.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                          And so it continues.

Mark my words, football as we know it will be banned by idiot, "do-gooder" politicians who "know what's best for us."
                          You are right - lets bring back the gladiators fighting to the death. All in good fun!
                          "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• WagonCircler
                            Escaped Convict
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MikeInRoch View Post
                            You are right - lets bring back the gladiators fighting to the death. All in good fun!
                            The risks are well known. Same as boxing or MMA. Or auto racing.

Where does the line get drawn?

Here's the thing--you already have the right not to participate, or to disallow your kids from participating in contact sports. We don't need any more ****ing laws passed by corrupt politicians who think they know what's best for everyone.

Ban everything! The pussification of America continues.

God help us if we ever have to fight another World War.

Comment

• jpdex12
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                              The risks are well known. Same as boxing or MMA. Or auto racing.

Where does the line get drawn?

Here's the thing--you already have the right not to participate, or to disallow your kids from participating in contact sports. We don't need any more ****ing laws passed by corrupt politicians who think they know what's best for everyone.

Ban everything! The pussification of America continues.

God help us if we ever have to fight another World War.
                              My god those are accurate words. True is as the day is long! Why does football get all the negative publicity when soccer and hockey have greater concussion results? Popularity!
                              Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

Working...
                              X