PDA

View Full Version : OT: Question for Bills fans who are parents

Raptor
03-17-2015, 07:38 AM
I'm not a parent but to those who are, have you had any change in letting your sons play football given the rash of health issues with the game? Not so much saying that you don't let them play but has it made you pause before giving the ok?

Jake Locker at 26

Jason Worilds at 27

And now Chris Borland in his sophomore year at age 24

All three have abruptly ended their NFL careers with concerns over future injuries impacting each one to varying degrees, and this should have the NFL extremely concerned. It’s a disturbing trend that has been bubbling in the NFL for a while.

The most disturbing of the group is Borland. After a fantastic rookie year he was staring down the future of a 10 plus year career and millions of dollars. He has decided to give that up citing head injuries as a major concern. Surprising is the first word that comes to mind

Can you really blame him? An increasing number of NFL veterans are not even making it to 60. If you go to any NFL event with former players you will see a lot of them are having a very hard time with multiple physical ailments. Seeing this over and over can have a very big impact on a young player. They are sure to start asking themselves if playing the game they love is worth the lifetime of pain they may have afterword’s. Borland decided it was not for him.

This also comes at a time when the NFL is making a lot of medical and safety advancements aimed at player safety and extending careers into players late 30’s and sometimes 40’s. Despite that though football is clearly being impacted by the rash of concussions around the league and its changing the game. It’s a very impactful change that will eventually start working its way down through the channels into college, the high school level, all the way to a parent deciding whether or not they sign the release to allow their child to play the game.

The overreaction to this Borland retirement will be that most will start drafting the eulogy for the demise of the NFL. Don’t be fooled, the NFL is not going anywhere anytime soon. The NFL isn’t the NBA, it’s not a star driven league. It can take a few players deciding to end their careers early. For every Borland that retires there will be another 20 players racing at the chance to replace him...........

www.profootballwarroom.com

Pinkerton Security
03-17-2015, 08:06 AM
I am not a parent but am an uncle 6 times over and will have kids sooner rather than later, and I wont discourage my kids from playing football. I think the real issues begin to arise in college and pro football where the players are incredibly big, strong, fast. I myself was knocked unconscious in high school football - went through the concussion protocol and all that.

One thing I think should be a rule in the pros is mandatory mouth guards for everyone, regardless - with the current problems with CTE popping up and this truly becoming cause for concern, Im surprised this hasnt been more of a priority. QBs say they cant call out signals, etc, but they ALL did it in college and in HS, so why cant they in the NFL?

jpdex12
03-17-2015, 08:10 AM
I have two sons now ages 13 and 15. Both play football in middle and highschool now and both played pop-warner since they were 5 yrs old. I was their head coach during their pop-warner years and always was very involved so I had first hand contact with them in making sure ALL of the kids were using the proper technique when tackling or taking a hit. That being said, there is always going to be an inherent danger playing a contact sport like this. On the same hand, there is always an inherent danger driving a car also. How do you want to live your life? People before me chose to live their life not worrying about inherent danger. I choose to live my life not worrying about inherent danger. I choose to instill this in my boys now. Basically, use common sense, be careful but give 100% in whatever you do and do it the right way. Following these simple rules helps keep you safe but like I said, there is inherent danger in a lot of things. How do you want to live life? To me, there is more to learning how to become a good man from playing the sport of football than there is worrying about getting hurt from playing it and losing out on the opportunity and chance to grow more as a man.

Not many end up playing in college and then the pros so the prolonged exposure of getting hit is less for most. Borland played a lot more football than most and has learned a lot from it. While I respect his decision I personally would have a hard time stepping away knowing someday you'll never be able to again.

Night Train
03-17-2015, 09:08 AM
It's receiving more pub these days but it's happened before. Mike Reid was a 1st team All American DT some 40 + years ago (Outland trophy winner) and was drafted early by Cinci. Instant All-Pro in the NFL. Dominant player who in year 3 ups and retires to compose music. Stated then his concern of the long term effects.

Bills had a TE, Jan White of Ohio St. and later RB Terry Miller of Okla. St. who were both done by 24-25 , wanting to work in business instead of suffering from injuries later on.

The recent publicity/studies will only increase this number.

Forward_Lateral
03-17-2015, 09:12 AM
If something isn't done, there will be no such thing as professional football in 10 years.

I don't know what can be done, but something. Whether it's different helmets, pads, etc. But the amount of concussions and violent hits are scary.

psubills62
03-17-2015, 09:44 AM
My son is still a toddler, so who knows what the game will look like by the time he reaches a playing age (and no, I don't consider anything before junior high an actual playing age). If it's similar to what it is now, I will likely discourage him and make sure he knows the risks, but I won't prevent him from playing if that's what he really wants to do.

psubills62
03-17-2015, 09:47 AM
If something isn't done, there will be no such thing as professional football in 10 years.

I don't know what can be done, but something. Whether it's different helmets, pads, etc. But the amount of concussions and violent hits are scary.
Personally, I'd be surprised if they could ever find a way to reduce the injuries and concussions to an appropriate level without changing the very nature of the game. It's a violent sport.

k-oneputt
03-17-2015, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=Forward_Lateral;4073945]If something isn't done, there will be no such thing as professional football in 10 years.

Bet there is.

DraftBoy
03-17-2015, 10:54 AM
I don't have children, but I will one day soon and I don't think I'd let my kids play contact football until the game and equipment is changed.

I strongly support the idea of play flag football for young kids.

Also think every youth football league should require all of its coaches to become heads up certified before they can even coach a practice.

Downinfloflo
03-17-2015, 10:57 AM
Get them into Baseball...

Giancarlo Stanton (http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/30583/giancarlo-stanton) new 13-year, $325 million contract with the Miami Marlins (http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/mia/miami-marlins)

Buffalogic
03-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Yeah I have a kid due any day now and if he ends up wanting to play sports I'll push for baseball. More money, less contact. Win-win.

WagonCircler
03-17-2015, 11:57 AM
And so it continues.

Mark my words, football as we know it will be banned by idiot, "do-gooder" politicians who "know what's best for us."

MikeInRoch
03-17-2015, 12:08 PM
My children will not be playing football.

- - - Updated - - -

And so it continues.

Mark my words, football as we know it will be banned by idiot, "do-gooder" politicians who "know what's best for us."

You are right - lets bring back the gladiators fighting to the death. All in good fun!

WagonCircler
03-17-2015, 12:59 PM
You are right - lets bring back the gladiators fighting to the death. All in good fun!

The risks are well known. Same as boxing or MMA. Or auto racing.

Where does the line get drawn?

Here's the thing--you already have the right not to participate, or to disallow your kids from participating in contact sports. We don't need any more ****ing laws passed by corrupt politicians who think they know what's best for everyone.

Ban everything! The pussification of America continues.

God help us if we ever have to fight another World War.

jpdex12
03-17-2015, 01:14 PM
The risks are well known. Same as boxing or MMA. Or auto racing.

Where does the line get drawn?

Here's the thing--you already have the right not to participate, or to disallow your kids from participating in contact sports. We don't need any more ****ing laws passed by corrupt politicians who think they know what's best for everyone.

Ban everything! The pussification of America continues.

God help us if we ever have to fight another World War.

My god those are accurate words. True is as the day is long! Why does football get all the negative publicity when soccer and hockey have greater concussion results? Popularity!

swiper
03-17-2015, 01:14 PM
Get them into Baseball...

Just don't name them Giancarlo.

Downinfloflo
03-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Just don't name them Giancarlo.

Why not?

Does the world really need another John, Mike, Bill or Tom?? :afro:

cookie G
03-17-2015, 01:23 PM
My oldest will begins his senior year next year, so this will be his last year of playing. (except on the slight chance that he ends up playing for a small college). Ever since he started playing contact football in the 6th grade, he knew he was on a "one and done" rule. One concussion and his career is over. Fortunately, he hasn't had one yet. I've talked with a few other parents and they basically have the same rule.

One kid, who I've known since the 5th grade, has had a few and I really hope he's stopped playing (he transferred schools last year). He's had AT LEAST 2 concussions, probably more, and he has a seizure disorder to boot. I've talked to his grandparents/guardians and they don't seem concerned. I would be. My son said that last season, after his last concussion, the coach kind of coerced him into quitting. The scuttlebutt was that he was concerned about his health too.
He's a really good kid and I know he loves playing, but..that's not worth it.

cookie G
03-17-2015, 01:34 PM
I strongly support the idea of play flag football for young kids.

I did have a lot of fun coaching for 2 years.

Also think every youth football league should require all of its coaches to become heads up certified before they can even coach a practice.

That's a good idea, for a number of reasons..but there is something I always found a little curious.

When I started high school...many, many, too freaking many years ago, both college and outlawed spearing. The one year of Pop Warner I had, they taught using hte helmet as a weapon.

But when high school started, leading with the head was outlawed, and every coach then taught to tackle with a lead shoulder instead of the helmet. They had to. And spearing was called from time to time.

So when the NFL finally got around to changing its own rules and guys talked about how this is the only way they know how to play, I always thought that was a bunch of crap. Unless they changed those rules back, they grew up with anti-spearing rules before they got to the NFL.

At the time, leading with the head was outlawed not due to possible concussions, but to prevent paralysis.

That's kind of where "heads up" comes in too. Head up and neck bulled decreases teh chance of spinal injury (that's what we were taught). Keeping your head up and neck bulled was a Day 1 rule when I played, it was one first things that was taught.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-17-2015, 02:01 PM
And so it continues.

Football as we know it was created by Teddy Roosevelt (the farthest thing from a pussy politician we've ever had), because it started as a bar brawl with a ball vaguely involved.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/05/29/teddy-roosevelt-helped-save-football-with-a-white-house-meeting-in-1905/

It survived that, back when it was barely a blip on the national radar. Now it's far and away the dominant sport in the country.

FWIW, this has hit us in Bills country already: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/226913-Broke-and-broken

WagonCircler
03-17-2015, 03:28 PM
It survived that, back when it was barely a blip on the national radar. Now it's far and away the dominant sport in the country.

Politicians are different now. Their goal is to control our every breath, every meal, every spoken word and every thought. And if they can't get laws through Congress, they'll just whip up executive orders.

swiper
03-17-2015, 03:32 PM
http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/blogs/fixgov/executive%20orders_chart.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Swing and a miss.

Next batter is up.

k-oneputt
03-17-2015, 03:44 PM
When I was a kid I didn't need to wear a helmet to ride a bicycle.

Damn, I've made it another day.
How has this happened ?

YardRat
03-17-2015, 03:45 PM
My boys were steered away from football, because of the physical risk. The equipment, especially at the younger levels (pee wee and JV) is pretty inadequate, I didn't have a lot of faith in how the programs were run, and realistically even if they did play they weren't going to go any higher than high school varsity anyway. Mom was pretty adamantly against it to boot. No scrambled brains (or worse, our area had a student in '13 lose his life), one with a masters degree and the other a sophomore in college at the top of his class and starting to rack up scholarships and awards, so no regrets either.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-17-2015, 04:03 PM

How has this happened ?

You can drive you entire life without wearing a seatbelt and never get in an accident. That doesn't mean it's the smart play.

SpikedLemonade
03-17-2015, 04:23 PM
My boys played a lot of competitive hockey until they were in their mid-teens. The youngest played football for 2 summers when he was 7 and 8 years old, but just never really got into it. He loves football, but not all of the practice.

I would have no problem with them playing football if that is what they wanted to do.

Then again, in the end the oldest is a month or so from finishing his Internal Medicine residency and the youngest is interviewing for med school this week and next.

Would I be as supportive of them playing football at the cost of them not being doctors? Probably not.

WagonCircler
03-17-2015, 04:59 PM
http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/blogs/fixgov/executive%20orders_chart.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Swing and a miss.

Next batter is up.

You're not this stupid.

Or maybe you are.

It's not about the number. It's about the fact that this human piece of **** is legislating via executive order. TOTALLY unconstitutional. Criminal.

swiper
03-17-2015, 05:11 PM
Unconstitutional? Really? Then why don't they stop him? Oh. Because the Constitution allows him to do this. And. He's far from the first. As I pointed out.

I am not the stupid one.

WagonCircler
03-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Unconstitutional? Really? Then why don't they stop him?.

It takes time, but they will. It's already in the works. His Amnesty plan will go right back up his ass, where it came from.

DraftBoy
03-17-2015, 06:45 PM
I did have a lot of fun coaching for 2 years.

Coaching flag football is a blast. So much creativity and fun involved. Also the two most important traits in football are balance and footwork. Without them you're doomed no matter what position you have. Flag football teaches that in spades which is why people saying that it stunts development due to a lack of contact are completely wrong. The best OL in the NFL block so well not because of how strong they are but because of how they use their feet and stay balanced in front of the defender.

That's a good idea, for a number of reasons..but there is something I always found a little curious.

When I started high school...many, many, too freaking many years ago, both college and outlawed spearing. The one year of Pop Warner I had, they taught using hte helmet as a weapon.

But when high school started, leading with the head was outlawed, and every coach then taught to tackle with a lead shoulder instead of the helmet. They had to. And spearing was called from time to time.

So when the NFL finally got around to changing its own rules and guys talked about how this is the only way they know how to play, I always thought that was a bunch of crap. Unless they changed those rules back, they grew up with anti-spearing rules before they got to the NFL.

At the time, leading with the head was outlawed not due to possible concussions, but to prevent paralysis.

That's kind of where "heads up" comes in too. Head up and neck bulled decreases teh chance of spinal injury (that's what we were taught). Keeping your head up and neck bulled was a Day 1 rule when I played, it was one first things that was taught.

Heads Up, the not for profit, has an agreement in place with Pop Warner football leagues across the country but not every youth football league is pop warner so many coaches still don't have the be certified and you would be appalled at how many of them don't even know that proper technique let alone teach it. Just a sad state of affairs.

Historian
03-18-2015, 07:02 AM
My eight year old indicated that he wanted to play football and hockey.

To start off, I told him to choose one and see how it goes. He chose hockey.

But I volunteered for the little league in town for eight years. Parents are scared, and the numbers bear that out.

In my eight years, we went from nine teams to three. Part of that is population displacement, but not all.

Depends on the league. Most are part of "head's up". Ours was.

psubills62
03-18-2015, 11:04 AM
FWIW, article on the topic by Ravens OL John Urschel.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/why-i-play-football/

Mr. Pink
03-18-2015, 11:12 AM

How has this happened ?

Welcome to America where we've allowed the powers to be to decide how we should lead our lives and protect us from ourselves because apparently we're unable to do it on our own.

jamze132
03-18-2015, 11:18 AM
My 9 yr old son wants to play football but he likes the novelty of it. He doesn't like getting hit. lol