PDA

View Full Version : Urbik Restructures deal

Dr. Lecter
03-17-2015, 08:30 AM
according to Rodak on Twitter.

It looks like he took a pay cut of about 1.5 million each of the next two seasons.

I'm fine with Urbik as the interior depth guy for the team (i.e. reserve guard and center).

Albany,n.y.
03-17-2015, 08:33 AM
It looks like Ryan thinks more of Urbik than Marrone did. There was no way Marrone was bringing him back, no matter how low his salary was. If Marrone was still coach Urbik would have been waived already.

jimmifli
03-17-2015, 08:34 AM
He's pretty good as the first interior lineman off the bench. And if he has competent players on either side he can go unnoticed all game long.

Any hate should be directed at the coach or GM that put him in the starter role. Anyways, good job getting some affordable depth, happy to see it.

jimmifli
03-17-2015, 08:35 AM
It looks like Ryan thinks more of Urbik than Marrone did. There was no way Marrone was bringing him back, no matter how low his salary was. If Marrone was still coach Urbik would have been waived already.
Yeah I don't know what that was about. It was pretty clear to anyone watching that he was the third best offensive lineman on the team.

Forward_Lateral
03-17-2015, 08:58 AM
What baffles me is how good he played 2 years ago, and how bad he played last year.

Night Train
03-17-2015, 09:00 AM
What baffles me is how good he played 2 years ago, and how bad he played last year.

If that's the case, then do the same with Wood.

Novacane
03-17-2015, 09:01 AM
Good.

Forward_Lateral
03-17-2015, 09:02 AM
If that's the case, then do the same with Wood.

The whole O-line really. Even Glenn looked like he regressed a bit this year.

I really think the O-line was put in a position to fail this year. I'm not saying part of it was due to lack of talent, but I think coaching/scheme had a big part of it as well.

Novacane

Same with Glenn. Makes me think coaching had something to do with it.

better days

Well, since a number of OL players level of play dropped off last year, I blame it on Coaching & blocking scheme.

Forward_Lateral
03-17-2015, 09:07 AM
I think dropping back to pass 30+ times a game doesn't help either.

justasportsfan
03-17-2015, 09:08 AM
Lets see how good of a OL coach Aaron Kromer is.

My guess is, Marrone was the one who ruined the OL by getting involved instead of letting his coaches coach. When he let the ST coach and Schwartz do their thing, both units played well.

Topas
03-17-2015, 09:13 AM
Special teams is still an enigma for me. Why did we suck big donkey balls in one year and have a premium unit the following year?
Makes no sense to me. No big change with regard to players, at least that I know about. And the same coaches.
And did Marrone intervene more or less in the second year?
It is easy to say that it become better so he intervened less. But it could also be the opposite...

justasportsfan
03-17-2015, 09:20 AM

Offenses usually get better in their second year than in their first. Marrone supposedly told Hackett to dumb down and go conservative with the offense in the 2nd year which IMO affected everyone. You can't handcuff an offense and expect it to progress.

While the D was loaded with talent, I would have expected the D unit to go sideways in terms of progress since it was Schwartz's first year. But it played better because Schwartz had the autonomy.

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2015, 10:32 AM
The whole O-line really. Even Glenn looked like he regressed a bit this year.

I really think the O-line was put in a position to fail this year. I'm not saying part of it was due to lack of talent, but I think coaching/scheme had a big part of it as well.
Two words: That mofo Nate Hackett.

OK four words.

better days
03-17-2015, 01:16 PM

OK four words.

I thought it was Hackett as well all last year.

But as Justa said, Marrone was to blame, he stuck his nose where it didn't belong & had Hackett dumb down his offense.

HHURRICANE
03-17-2015, 01:18 PM

OK four words.

The Bills did a great service to their fans not hiring first time coaches this time around.

I think the o-line was put in terrible spots much like the entire team on the offensive side of the ball.

swiper
03-17-2015, 03:29 PM
I thought it was Hackett as well all last year.

But as Justa said, Marrone was to blame, he stuck his nose where it didn't belong & had Hackett dumb down his offense.

As a head coach, it absolutely did belong there, but what's baffling is how he hired his buddy to run the offense if he had a different idea on how to manage the line.

better days
03-17-2015, 03:44 PM
As a head coach, it absolutely did belong there, but what's baffling is how he hired his buddy to run the offense if he had a different idea on how to manage the line.

Well, Doug Marrone worked for Sean Payton, but Doug Marrone is not Sean Peyton & never will be.

Marrone is a former OL player, he never was & never will be an offensive genius.

He can hold a clipboard but it is obvious he has no business calling offensive plays.

He would have been better advised to leave the offense to Hackett just as he left the defense to Schwartz & Pettine.

Hackett on the other hand may have a future in the NFL if he ever gets another chance as an OC.

And there is nothing wrong with a HC letting the coordinators do the heavy lifting.

Marv Levy let his OC run the offense & his DC run the defense.

YardRat
03-17-2015, 03:50 PM
Special teams is still an enigma for me. Why did we suck big donkey balls in one year and have a premium unit the following year?
Makes no sense to me. No big change with regard to players, at least that I know about. And the same coaches.
It is easy to say that it become better so he intervened less. But it could also be the opposite...

Crossman lobbied in the off-season to include more starters on the special teams squads, and apparently it worked.

I'm just fine with Urbik returning at a reduced rate, as others have already stated he's in a good spot coming off the bench as a back-up guard and center.