Philip Rivers rumored to be playing last year with SD, might end up on trade block.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Philip Rivers rumored to be playing last year with SD, might end up on trade block.

What do you think? Worth pursuing?

Walk-year QB Philip Rivers intends to play out the final season of his contract without a new deal.
    "Honestly, nothing," was Rivers' response when asked if there was anything that would change his mind. Rivers has also changed course on the Chargers' stadium issue. Previously, he said it wouldn't affect talks. Now he says it will. "What we’ve established here with my growing family is hard to recreate," Rivers said. "The good thing is I’m not under contract in a year where we’d potentially be in Los Angeles." For his part, Chargers GM Tom Telesco declined to unequivocally say that Rivers wouldn't be dealt. "I don’t like Philip as our QB, I love him," Telesco said. "And I’ll go to war with him." Per reporter Kevin Acee, there's been speculation in league circles that the Bolts could target Oregon QB Marcus Mariota. Rivers' San Diego status is a back-burner issue that could begin to boil.
    Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

According to the Union-Tribune San Diego, there's been league-wide speculation that the Chargers "could be serious" about going after Oregon QB Marcus Mariota.
    Reporter Kevin Acee's report cites "numerous people in and around the league." The Bolts have scheduled a private workout with Mariota next month. It's unlikely Mariota would fall to the Chargers at No. 17, so a trade up would likely be necessary to secure his services. Per Acee, the speculation comes as Philip Rivers' Chargers future is up in the air. Rivers intends to play out the final year of his deal without an extension, while GM Tom Telesco wouldn't offer a blanket denial that Rivers could eventually be traded.
    Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Re: Philip Rivers rumored to be playing last year with SD, might end up on trade bloc

I could see him benefitting from a coach like Rex, for personality anyway. I think he'd get him focused on the right things. It's going to cost a whole lot of $$$ to fit him into the cap as a FA though.

Comment

• The Jokeman
      • Dec 2003

Re: Philip Rivers rumored to be playing last year with SD, might end up on trade bloc

Originally posted by psubills62 View Post
      What do you think? Worth pursuing?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9385/marcus-mariota
      Teams with franchise QBs don't trade them away unless they feel they have another franchise QB in play to replace them. I can't even tell you who San Diego's backup is without looking? Also being they were in the playoff hunt a year ago I don't think they have what it takes to get Marota or Winston. Come 2016 when he's an UFA he's a guy to pursue but Eli's contract is coming due as well as a few other big name QBs too. Yet I'm not writing EJ off just yet.
      Last edited by The Jokeman; 03-17-2015, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
        • Aug 2013

I think this is the guy we are going to target. He is one of the most talented players in the league and it is inexcusable how poorly that team is managed.

Just think, we've been waiting for 15 years to have our "guy" at QB.

They've had one almost all along and can't pull it together.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

When he refers to his 'growing family' is he talking about the team, or his family? If it's the team, everybody moving to LA shouldn't be a big deal...if it's his family, if he doesn't to leave SD for LA why would he want to go anywhere, especially the East Coast?
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
            Skoobasaurus-Rex
            • Oct 2011

The Bills have been the most active team in FA, so nothing is off the table.

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
              Teams with franchise QBs don't trade them away unless they feel they have another franchise QB in play to replace them. I can't even tell you who San Diego's backup is without looking? Also being they were in the playoff hunt a year ago I don't think they have what it takes to get Marota or Winston.
              I'm not the one reporting it, just thought it would be worth an offseason discussion thread, since the rumors are out there.

Atlanta traded up even further to get Julio Jones, IIRC. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Rivers himself seems to want to play out his last year without being extended. Even if SD can't get Mariota, if they're going to lose Rivers in the offseason anyway, they may want to trade him for a boatload of picks to another team rather than getting a couple of third round compensatory picks the year after he signs elsewhere.
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
                I think this is the guy we are going to target. He is one of the most talented players in the league and it is inexcusable how poorly that team is managed.

Just think, we've been waiting for 15 years to have our "guy" at QB.

They've had one almost all along and can't pull it together.
                Kinda tells you it's not all about the QB, even with today's rules.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Crisis
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                  When he refers to his 'growing family' is he talking about the team, or his family? If it's the team, everybody moving to LA shouldn't be a big deal...if it's his family, if he doesn't to leave SD for LA why would he want to go anywhere, especially the East Coast?
                  Felipe has like 6 kids, probably referring to that.
                  Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                  Vanek is Austrian not European
                  Originally posted by Prov401
                  Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                  Originally posted by better days
                  I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by psubills62 View Post
                    I'm not the one reporting it, just thought it would be worth an offseason discussion thread, since the rumors are out there.

Atlanta traded up even further to get Julio Jones, IIRC. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Rivers himself seems to want to play out his last year without being extended. Even if SD can't get Mariota, if they're going to lose Rivers in the offseason anyway, they may want to trade him for a boatload of picks to another team rather than getting a couple of third round compensatory picks the year after he signs elsewhere.
                    I think Rivers plays for the Chargers this year & tags & trades him next year.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

We don't have the trade ammo to get him. But we should be nervous if they do some kind of deal with the Jets.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                        We don't have the trade ammo to get him. But we should be nervous if they do some kind of deal with the Jets.
                        The Chargers are playing in a crap hole of a stadium in San Diego this year.

Looks like they may move to LA next year.

If The Chargers trade Rivers this season, the Stadium in San Diego will be EMPTY.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • May 2009

Phil over Drew all day. Whatever is cost. Get him. If this ever becomes true that is....

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
                            Phil over Drew all day. Whatever is cost. Get him. If this ever becomes true that is....
                            I am with you, but I think it happens next year if at all.

Comment

• psubills62
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                              If they look to trade him after this year's draft (for example, they do end up with Mariota), then we actually might have the ammunition. Could also consider a combination of players plus draft picks.
                              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

Working...
                              X