PDA

View Full Version : The Ground And Read Option Pound Offense

BillsImpossible
03-18-2015, 06:37 PM
"The read option is dead, just a gimmick that has gone the way of the wild cat."

NFL coordinators have done a great job of making the read option offense look like the latest fad that is no longer in fashion.

The read option was hot in 2013, and then cooled its wheels in 2014.

Why?

Because Colin Kaepernick and EJ Manuel are too tall to be running backs, and neither of them can throw accurately.

I think NFL coaches had it right when they thought they could use the read option to their advantage, but they seriously got it wrong when they thought a 6'4 or more QB could run the read option show.

OpIv37
03-19-2015, 07:37 AM
wtf are you talking about?

The read option is not a college triple option. The QB looks at the D and decides whether to hand off to the RB or pass at the LOS based on the defensive alignment, as opposed to picking a run or pass play in the huddle. If anything, being taller would be an advantage cuz it's easier to see the D over the OL.

I suppose there are read option plays where the QB runs himself but generally that is not the intent.

casdhf
03-19-2015, 09:13 AM
I don't think EJ was ever really given the option to make a read. If he was, he was terrible at it.

Mr. Pink
03-19-2015, 09:21 AM
Oddly enough when the Seahawks went back to read option against the Packers in the NFC Title game, that's when their comeback started.

But it's dead.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-19-2015, 10:43 AM
wtf are you talking about?

The read option is not a college triple option. The QB looks at the D and decides whether to hand off to the RB or pass at the LOS based on the defensive alignment, as opposed to picking a run or pass play in the huddle. If anything, being taller would be an advantage cuz it's easier to see the D over the OL.

I suppose there are read option plays where the QB runs himself but generally that is not the intent.

The read option is a concept, it can be applied to a lot of play designs. Sometimes the qb does indeed run it, if the defense commits to the halfback.

As to the OP, Cam Newton is 6'5.

LVGrown
03-19-2015, 04:31 PM
Oddly enough when the Seahawks went back to read option against the Packers in the NFC Title game, that's when their comeback started.

But it's dead.

Throughout most of the game I was questioning why they weren't using Wilson's legs. There comeback began when the read option made an appearance. I remember thinking wow they are gonna let him run all over them to win this game. Lucky for the Pats the Hawks decided to run the plays that had them losing the game instead of the plays that put them in a game winning situation.

I don't really have an opinion of the read option one way or another, besides the fact that I can't run it on Madden to save my life, but I do believe the read option should have won its 2nd Super Bowl in as many years.

LVGrown
03-19-2015, 04:33 PM

But it's dead.

Throughout most of the game I was questioning why they weren't using Wilson's legs. There comeback began when the read option made an appearance. I remember thinking wow they are gonna let him run all over them to win this game. Lucky for the Pats the Hawks decided to run the plays that had them losing the game instead of the plays that put them in a game winning situation.

I don't really have an opinion of the read option one way or another, besides the fact that I can't run it on Madden to save my life, but I do believe the read option should have won its 2nd Super Bowl in as many years.

Oops ... I obviously have a hard time reading at a 3rd grade level and missed the part where you were talking about the Packers and not the Patriots. My bad ... my point still stand though.

justasportsfan
03-19-2015, 06:30 PM
Ej ran his vetsion of the ground and pound. He three the ball to the ground and Wood pounds the ball out of frustration

BillsImpossible
03-19-2015, 08:26 PM
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood, right?

It's not that complicated.

The Ground And Read Option Pound (GROP, lol) is simple.

Numero Uno - Have a quarterback that can avoid the rush, run and pass.

Numero Dos - Have a running back that can make great plays with Fulton leading the way.

Numero Tres - Have a tight end that can block and catch.

Numero Quatro - Have 4 excellent wide receivers that can stretch the field.

GROP me.