PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Be The Bills Starting QB On Opening Day?

BillsImpossible
03-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Matt Cassel, EJ Manuel, Tyrod Taylor, or other?

A, B, C, or D?

When in doubt, always choose C.

Skooby
03-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Tyrod !!!

better days
03-18-2015, 09:32 PM
I will be shocked if EJ is not the starter opening day.

psubills62
03-18-2015, 09:34 PM
Cassel.

WagonCircler
03-18-2015, 09:42 PM
I will be shocked if EJ is not the starter opening day.

Prepare to be shocked.

BertSquirtgum
03-18-2015, 09:58 PM
I vote for Phil Rivers.

djjimkelly
03-18-2015, 10:41 PM
i think EJ wins the competition but if its cassel so be it

ill pray for it to be rivers :)

feldspar
03-19-2015, 12:06 AM
My money is on Cassel to win an open competition, if that's the idea.

The fact that Manuel was a first-round pick should not play in to the competition.

If Thyroid makes the team, I expect to see him have minimal playing time in certain packages...run, Thyroid, run. That's right, I called him Thyroid. Sue me.

sudzy
03-19-2015, 02:35 AM
This team is built to win now and this staff has nothing committed into EJ. Cassel wins, if EJ has another preseason like last he'll be third string.

jamze132
03-19-2015, 04:46 AM
I think it's Cassel's job to lose right now.

Meathead
03-19-2015, 04:59 AM
tie rod jones has a better chance to start than cassel. and tie rod aint starting

one hundred billion trillion percent its gonna be ej

deal wid it

RedEyE
03-19-2015, 05:14 AM
Well Rex said they were reverting back to 1964 to the Kemp, LaMonica days. Kemp would play the first half and "The Fireman" would come in when Kemp was hurt or ineffective.

With that in mind, I see EJ starting the games with Cassel in as relief.

If true, it will be at least interesting to see how this unfolds.

gr8slayer
03-19-2015, 05:32 AM
Cassel will be the day one starter. He'll show a lot more than either Taylor or Manuel will in camp.

DraftBoy
03-19-2015, 05:48 AM
MarQuies Gray

TacklingDummy
03-19-2015, 06:08 AM
EJ has more upside.

Strongman
03-19-2015, 06:12 AM
Unless EJ has improved substantially, I think it will be Cassell. I'd say Cassell has a 50% chance of starting, EJ and TT both have a 25% chance, and Tuel 0%

better days
03-19-2015, 07:10 AM
Unless EJ has improved substantially, I think it will be Cassell. I'd say Cassell has a 50% chance of starting, EJ and TT both have a 25% chance, and Tuel 0%

Reports are EJ has improved.

I think it did him good sitting behind Orton for the season.

THATHURMANATOR
03-19-2015, 07:55 AM
Why would there be an option of "tank mode part Deux"?

Novacane
03-19-2015, 08:04 AM
If it's a true open competition I see Cassell

Pinkerton Security
03-19-2015, 08:05 AM
EJ has more upside.

This is def true but with our current roster I dont see them taking that gamble. We'll see though

Mahdi
03-19-2015, 08:20 AM
I think Tyrod Taylor's athleticism can break open the offense. PA bootlegs to McCoy followed by throwing to one of our playmaker's while on the run would be lethal.

I don't think it will be read option necessarily but more like the offense Vick ran in Atlanta with Warrick Dunn.

Albany,n.y.
03-19-2015, 08:25 AM
Reports are EJ has improved.

I think it did him good sitting behind Orton for the season.

They said that & then Marrone was deathly afraid to put him in against the Patriots scrubs, indicating that those reports were pure fiction. Actions speak louder than words.

Meathead
03-19-2015, 08:26 AM
official mh the geekŪ odds on the bills starting qb for game 1:

90.02% ebenezeir estuuya manuel
4.62% tie rod jones
3.53% painfully mediocre journeyman who had two good seasons out of ten
2.09% somebody not currently on the roster

logic:

- what cassel brings is cast in stone: barely acceptable starting qb production that you want to upgrade the whole time hes playing. better than not having a starter but not by much
- tie rod is a taller and less douchey michael vick and just like vick will probably never have the passing skills to be a regular nfl starter you wont want to replace sooner rather than later
- ej was a known project who was mis-managed worse than even jp losman was, which is borderline criminal. he still has the dreaded 'potential', far more than either of the other two

this situation is very similar to last season, except ej is another year in the league and will have even a shorter leash. he had a great chance to do what should have happened his rookie season, to sit behind a polished veteran and learn how to be a pro qb. hes had a season and a half with a qb coach, including all summer with david lee roth which should have him well prepared to be either a gigolo or have everything he should need to step into the starting job

assuming they complete the fix of the oline, he will have no excuses and no where to hide. he just needs to do his job, make the reads he should be able to at this point, and deliver the ball to the exceptional talent whaley has assembled at the offensive skill positions. they simply have to see where he is at and give him a legitimate chance to rebound from the shaft job he received from maroone/hacker in their piss poor efforts to develop him. the worst possible thing would be to cut him and see him go someplace else and succeed. they have invested a lot in him, he still could definitely emerge from his project status into a viable long term starter, certainly much more than the other two guys

unfortunately, preseason doesnt tell you much so he would have to stink holy hell to lose the starting job. i dont expect he could be bad enough in the practice games for that to happen

ej will start wk1 and he needs to come out and be reasonably impressive early. he wont have much luxury to have a bad game in the first few, and if he throws even one stinker like his last two starts he will be replaced the next week

doesnt do any good to root against him so until he loses the job ... viva la erastus julian!!

EDS
03-19-2015, 08:28 AM
Maybe third times the charm for EJ!

Albany,n.y.
03-19-2015, 08:30 AM
EJ has more upside.

Rob Johnson had more upside than Flutie. Then JP Losman had more upside than Bledsoe. Then Trent Edwards had more upside than Losman. Then EJ Manuel had more upside than (fill in the blank veteran-Kolb, Orton, Cassel).

How about a little less upside and a lot more production?

Meathead
03-19-2015, 08:31 AM
oh crap i just noticed i put two 'e' names for ej the first time. oh well, its a crappy joke to begin with anyway

better days
03-19-2015, 08:51 AM
They said that & then Marrone was deathly afraid to put him in against the Patriots scrubs, indicating that those reports were pure fiction. Actions speak louder than words.

I think Marrone was afraid to play EJ against the Pats* because if he did play EJ & EJ played well, Marrone would have looked like an IDIOT for not putting EJ in sooner.

The fact is Orton did not play well & lost the the Raiders.

Albany,n.y.
03-19-2015, 09:19 AM
I think Marrone was afraid to play EJ against the Pats* because if he did play EJ & EJ played well, Marrone would have looked like an IDIOT for not putting EJ in sooner.

The fact is Orton did not play well & lost the the Raiders.

Marrone was playing the Patriots game to win & pad his resume. He knew Orton was mediocre yet stuck by him because he wanted the best chance to win. The idea that Marrone thought he would look like an idiot if EJ played well is ridiculous. If Marrone thought EJ could have played well, he would have credited himself & the coaching staff for coaching him up to his improvement & that would have added even more to his resume to win with EJ. He saw EJ every day in practice & knew Orton, with all his limitations, was still better than EJ on the final day of the 2014 season.

I know it's great to hope that EJ will pan out, and I'd love to see it, but the reality is he's headed for the same scrap pile that Rob, JP, & Trent landed on. This is very similar to JP & the defenses of these guys are nearly identical-go back through the archives & the same excuses were made for JP. The ones I really laugh at are the coaches handled them poorly. Especially when JP had one of the most respected QB coaches in the NFL in Sam Wyche.

Face it, it's the bad scouting that has caused this, not coaching. They keep recommending QBs with massive flaws & the Bills keep wasting high picks on them & then for the next 3-5 years when the coaches see these guys & want to keep them off the field by any means possible fans on message boards can't recognize the guy's a bust & will look to blame the coaches.

The good news is that Whaley has purged most of the scouts from prior eras & just maybe, the current group of scouts will get it right when it's time to replace EJ. I'd like to hope the one unknown, Tyrod Taylor, can be that guy, but if not then the next QB we draft.

Mr. Pink
03-19-2015, 09:23 AM
EJ will start the season at QB and Cassel will likely take over sooner rather than later.

Forward_Lateral
03-19-2015, 09:35 AM
Tie Rod End will be steering the Bills Bus

better days
03-19-2015, 04:41 PM
Marrone was playing the Patriots game to win & pad his resume. He knew Orton was mediocre yet stuck by him because he wanted the best chance to win. The idea that Marrone thought he would look like an idiot if EJ played well is ridiculous. If Marrone thought EJ could have played well, he would have credited himself & the coaching staff for coaching him up to his improvement & that would have added even more to his resume to win with EJ. He saw EJ every day in practice & knew Orton, with all his limitations, was still better than EJ on the final day of the 2014 season.

I know it's great to hope that EJ will pan out, and I'd love to see it, but the reality is he's headed for the same scrap pile that Rob, JP, & Trent landed on. This is very similar to JP & the defenses of these guys are nearly identical-go back through the archives & the same excuses were made for JP. The ones I really laugh at are the coaches handled them poorly. Especially when JP had one of the most respected QB coaches in the NFL in Sam Wyche.

Face it, it's the bad scouting that has caused this, not coaching. They keep recommending QBs with massive flaws & the Bills keep wasting high picks on them & then for the next 3-5 years when the coaches see these guys & want to keep them off the field by any means possible fans on message boards can't recognize the guy's a bust & will look to blame the coaches.

The good news is that Whaley has purged most of the scouts from prior eras & just maybe, the current group of scouts will get it right when it's time to replace EJ. I'd like to hope the one unknown, Tyrod Taylor, can be that guy, but if not then the next QB we draft.

BS. If EJ had a good game against the Pats* Marrone would have looked like an IDIOT for letting Orton lose the Raiders game, costing the Bills a shot at the playoffs.

swiper
03-19-2015, 05:31 PM

Homers live on hope.

Clay and Manuel will take us to the promised lnad in 2015.

ROFL.

better days
03-19-2015, 05:37 PM
Homers live on hope.

Clay and Manuel will take us to the promised lnad in 2015.

ROFL.

It could be Cassel & Clay.

I voted for EJ to start, but if Cassel wins the job, I would be fine with that.

The Jokeman
03-19-2015, 06:14 PM
I give Cassel the edge as to date he's the best QB on our roster. Yet if EJ shows glipses I could see Roman adjusting offense to play to EJ's strengths as unlike Marrone/Hackett I think Roman builds an offense around the talent (see playing with Alex Smith and Kaepernick) not just running a system and trying to make the QB fit into it.

Night Train
03-19-2015, 07:09 PM
After what happened to Rex in NY, you think he favors anyone ? This is his 2nd and last shot at being HC.

If Garrison Sanborn looked good tossing the ball on the sidelines, he's give him a shot.

BillsImpossible
03-19-2015, 07:21 PM
After what happened to Rex in NY, you think he favors anyone ? This is his 2nd and last shot at being HC.

If Garrison Sanborn looked good tossing the ball on the sidelines, he's give him a shot.

I think Rex favors Tyrod Taylor.

I don't think Taylor would be a Buffalo Bill today if Rex Ryan wasn't the Bills HC.

Doug Whaley did not sign Tyrod Taylor, Rex Ryan did.

Stroke of quarterback genius in my opinion.

When the Bills defense squares off against the Bills offensive line in training camp, the quarterback that can handle the most pressure and make the most plays will win the starting job.

BillsImpossible
03-19-2015, 07:53 PM
Matt Cassel is Kyle Orton and Ryan Fitzpatrick redux.

Rex Ryan is smart enough to realize that.

What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

After Doug Whaley proudly stood next to Matt Cassel at OBD with media glaring, Rex Ryan quietly announced that the Bills signed Tyrod Taylor without the hype or fanfare.

Makes me wonder. Doug got his guy, and Rex got his guy.

The Bills have 2 Whaley QB's going up against 1 Ryan QB.

EJ Manuel and Matt Cassel Vs. Tyrod Taylor.

My guess is that Manuel and Cassel will get eaten alive by the Bills defense in training camp, and Tyrod Taylor will make the Bills defense look vulnerable.

Oaf
03-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Tyrod Taylor will be a poor man's Thad Lewis.

BillsImpossible
03-19-2015, 08:45 PM
Tyrod Taylor will be a poor man's Thad Lewis.

Bookmarked for future reference.

djjimkelly
03-19-2015, 08:50 PM
ill bet anyone tyrod taylor is NOT the starter up to 1000$

BillsImpossible
08-30-2015, 01:16 PM
ill bet anyone tyrod taylor is NOT the starter up to 1000$

Does your bet still stand?