• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Signing Bounus $ this off season

Anybody taken the time yet to add up what the team has laid out, up front, in actual cash so far this off season in the form of signing bonuses?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Re: Signing Bounus $ this off season

Pegula's are cheap.

Comment

• Jry44
      • Apr 2013

Nope.... it's not my money, so I don't worry about it.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jry44 View Post
        Nope.... it's not my money, so I don't worry about it.
        Well you should. Signing bonuses get amortized and count against the cap. If they aren't handled properly, it can lead to salary cap jail down the road.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jry44
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
          Well you should. Signing bonuses get amortized and count against the cap. If they aren't handled properly, it can lead to salary cap jail down the road.
          Nah.... like I said, it's not my money, and not my problem to balance the cap. And I'm not naive enough to believe that I know anything about the cap. Furthermore it's pointless to worry about it when players are constantly released or being restructured, therefore making the numbers always change. So why panic about it??

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
            • Aug 2004

This is something I do worry about because we have seen it in Washinton and Dallas etc. The Bills really never had that issue since the late Kelly era because they really don't have more than one good player to keep every time the question is asked. Now we have legit stars (plural) like mario, Dareus, McCoy, along with a few budding ones like Watkins, Gilmore, managing cap and balancing are an increasingly important skill that Whaley has to master.

Comment

• DesertFox24
              • Jul 2005

The cap is estimated to rise to approximately 160mil in the next couple of year, but after that I think we will see it settle and not jump 10mil every year. That being said we will be in cap jail especially if we ever get a franchise QB. Even as we are currently structured if we resign Gilmore, Dareus, Glenn (big money deals more than likely), and Bradham we are looking at being in trouble. All that being said almost all good teams are in that same position though. I do not want to see the bills spend big in FA much more after this year though.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jry44 View Post
                Nah.... like I said, it's not my money, and not my problem to balance the cap. And I'm not naive enough to believe that I know anything about the cap. Furthermore it's pointless to worry about it when players are constantly released or being restructured, therefore making the numbers always change. So why panic about it??
                Because if its done wrong it's going to lead to more losing.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                  The cap is estimated to rise to approximately 160mil in the next couple of year, but after that I think we will see it settle and not jump 10mil every year. That being said we will be in cap jail especially if we ever get a franchise QB. Even as we are currently structured if we resign Gilmore, Dareus, Glenn (big money deals more than likely), and Bradham we are looking at being in trouble.
                  Also, when the cap jumps, every team has more available cap space so they can make more attractive offers. Or, to say it more simply, player contracts jump with the cap. It doesn't really help that much to get $10 million extra in purchasing power when everyone else gets it too. It may help us deal with existing contracts but it's all equal in terms of attracting future FAs
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DesertFox24
                    • Jul 2005

Because if its done wrong it's going to lead to more losing.
                    That is the question are JO, Brandon, and Whaley structuring this correctly so that they can cut players that are aging to keep younger players that have developed. None of these deals will ever mature the players either will get cut or retire before the end. Mario's deal will never get to year 7, I doubt clay sees year 5, etc... What you have to do is put the money in a way so that the dead money is a minimum when you cut them halfway or two thirds of the way through the contract.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                      • Jul 2005

Also, when the cap jumps, every team has more available cap space so they can make more attractive offers. Or, to say it more simply, player contracts jump with the cap. It doesn't really help that much to get $10 million extra in purchasing power when everyone else gets it too. It may help us deal with existing contracts but it's all equal in terms of attracting future FAs
                      Oh I agree. My point is the cap is going to start to plateau and if the bills are banking on it increasing at linear rate they are gravely mistaken. I am not a big fan of big spending in FA because we do not have a QB and are not one great player away. Plus history has shown FA never makes a team much better. The one thing the bills have going for them is drafting much better the past 5 years. Also with this new staff in order for them to be successful on offense they did need to get some pieces to allow Roman the flexibility to do what he wants so we have a chance. For those reasons alone I am not bashing them spending this offseason. Now if they start doing this crap next season before extending our core guys I will be mad. I understand signing a Manny Lawson Corey Graham or so for solid starter depth, but signing a big name guy to come in and fill a hole (Clay TE hole) is something they need to not do again.

Comment

• Novacane
                        • Jul 2002

Bills don't spend they are cheap asses and don't want to win. Bills do spend they are not doing it correctly and are getting into future cap jail.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                          • Jun 2024

Spend every penny of it.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                            Bills don't spend they are cheap asses and don't want to win. Bills do spend they are not doing it correctly and are getting into future cap jail.
                            I've said for years that spending alone won't solve the problem. The money has to be spent correctly. Spending on skill positions while neglecting the OL and paying Clay more than Gronk hardly fits my definition of "correctly."

Plus, none of our FO guys have experience spending up to the cap because Ralph made them do almost the complete opposite.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                              Making Spirits Bright
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                              To be fair, I don't think many people were happy with the amount of money we kept giving Chris Kelsay.

The Bills just have to be smart about where they spend the money. Pegula hasn't proved anything right now, he could be wrong he could be right. I'm willing to give this team the benefit of my doubt right now. I would've preferred us to spend our money elsewhere, sure..but I've been wrong in the past. I'm ready for the ride. Besides, this offseason is far from over.

Comparing Pegula to Snyder or Jerry would be quite unwarranted right now. There are also many negatives to those guys besides just spending tons of money in free agency. They meddle in both the coaching and GM duties as well. Isn't Jerry the GM of the Cowboys right now? Anyway, I actually think the Cowboys are getting smarter about these sort of things.

Comment

Working...
                              X