PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Clay signing - a good move or a bad move?

swiper
03-19-2015, 11:39 AM
Your opinion.

Yes or no?

SpikedLemonade
03-19-2015, 11:41 AM
Without another viable alternative of where they would have spent the money, I would have to say YES.

I would rather they spend the money rather than pocketing it under some bogus Cash to Cap fake excuse for being misers.

Pinkerton Security
03-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Yes, is definitely one of those things lol.

You need to learn how to phrase a poll question - this isnt a yes or no question.

swiper
03-19-2015, 11:44 AM
Yes, is definitely one of those things lol.

You need to learn how to phrase a poll question - this isnt a yes or no question.

Reread post #1. You need to get some reading comprehension.

ICRockets
03-19-2015, 11:44 AM
I would rather have kept Chandler and signed Stepen Wizniewski, but after releasing our top 2 TEs from last season we really didn't have much choice but to pay Clay.

Pinkerton Security
03-19-2015, 11:48 AM
Reread post #1. You need to get some reading comprehension.

LOL.

Title says: Clay signing - good move or a bad move?
Post #1 says: Your opinion. Yes or no?

SOOOO...."Good move or bad move" is not a Yes/No question. Options in poll should be Good move or Bad move, or else question should be "Good move or not"

SpikedLemonade
03-19-2015, 11:51 AM
The Wiz is still there to be signed.

$5M a year would do it.

The Bills have the money.

So far they have shown no interest in him and that is a mistake.

We need two new starters (not Incognito) on that OL and the Draft may only provide one.

swiper
03-19-2015, 11:52 AM
Yes it was a good move or no it wasn't (ie a bad move).

Meathead
03-19-2015, 11:55 AM
Should the Bills have paid Clay so much?

Choose one:

1. Purple
c. The square root of heaven
pi. Neanderthals ate my homework

elltrain22
03-19-2015, 11:57 AM
I would've voted He## yes!! Already one of my favorite players!!

Meathead
03-19-2015, 11:57 AM
oh hells yes it was definitely a good or bad move

Joe Fo Sho
03-19-2015, 12:52 PM
oh hells yes it was definitely a good or bad move

Yes, I would have to agree. This is certainly a move.

Jaydog57
03-19-2015, 12:53 PM
He was a solid player for us, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Joe Fo Sho
03-19-2015, 12:58 PM
He was a solid player for us, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Let me ask you something.

All things equal (like QB quality, offensive scheme, etc), where would you put Clay on a ranking of TEs?

djjimkelly
03-19-2015, 01:28 PM
he is a very versatile TE who is actually a true receiving threat regardless of who ends up being the qb watkins, harvin, woods and clay as receiving threats with shady mccoy as the rb who is a home run threat also.

this is a very nice set of weapons something we havent seen since bledsoe had a bunch of weapons

SpikedLemonade
03-19-2015, 01:39 PM
this is a very nice set of weapons something we havent seen since bledsoe had a bunch of weapons

Interesting comparison because it was our poor OL and poor QB play that did us in then.

swiper
03-19-2015, 01:40 PM
I would've voted He## yes!! Already one of my favorite players!!

LOL. I would get it, if you said McCoy. But Clay? Are you kidding? WTF has he ever done to warrant that kind of a reaction?

You're sold on hope.

SpikedLemonade
03-19-2015, 01:48 PM
LOL. I would get it, if you said McCoy. But Clay? Are you kidding? WTF has he ever done to warrant that kind of a reaction?

You're sold on hope.

There is the slogan for this year's Bills and for the City of Buffalo for that matter -- SOLD ON HOPE.

The King
03-19-2015, 01:54 PM
We over paid by about 1.5M a season. That puts the overall contract at about 7.5M over.
We also weakened a divisional opponent and improved a position of need significantly.

That being said, Clay is ours now, next years cap hit is a concern, but we can restructure now that he's on our roster - we're a better team for having him. As long as this deal doesn't derail Dareus, I am fine with the move.

better days
03-19-2015, 01:55 PM
There is the slogan for this year's Bills and for the City of Buffalo for that matter -- SOLD ON HOPE.

Maybe it is just me, but I think it is better to have hope than to have no hope.

Am I wrong?

better days
03-19-2015, 01:58 PM
We over paid by about 1.5M a season. That puts the overall contract at about 7.5M over.
We also weakened a divisional opponent and improved a position of need significantly.

That being said, Clay is ours now, next years cap hit is a concern, but we can restructure now that he's on our roster - we're a better team for having him. As long as this deal doesn't derail Dareus, I am fine with the move.

NO we did not over pay by that much.

The Fins tagged Clay at $7.1 Million for this year.

It would have cost the Fins more to keep him the next year.

It cost the Bills only $500,000 more than the Fins would have paid Clay.

WagonCircler
03-19-2015, 02:02 PM
Maybe it is just me, but I think it is better to have hope than to have no hope.

Am I wrong?

But it's way, WAY worse to have false hope.

better days
03-19-2015, 02:08 PM
But it's way, WAY worse to have false hope.

You either have hope or you don't have hope.

There is no such thing as false hope.

PhinsFan66
03-19-2015, 02:16 PM
We will miss Clay in Miami but you guys overpaid, by a lot. You are giving him the equivalent of top-five receiver money, and for what??? Here is his scoring totals the past four seasons:

For a tight end (actually Clay is an "H" back, he's too short to be a pure TE, at 6'3") . He caught 58 passes for a little over 600 yards last season. Only two things matter, can he score and can he block? Look at Tannehill's sack numbers and Clays TD numbers and you get the picture. He's a great guy, and I wish him well, but no way we were going to pony up the crazy money the Bills did, especially with Cameron and Sims on the roster.

Downinfloflo
03-19-2015, 02:18 PM
Good move, Not my money, And 15 years and counting!!

sukie
03-19-2015, 02:22 PM
Antonio Gates is listed at 6'4" Dallas Clark 6'3"

wmoz11
03-19-2015, 02:24 PM
I like the flexibility he provides pre-snap just as much as anything else. I'm going to trust the guys that made him priority #1 this offseason and that they have big plans for him. So, I like the signing. Plus, we weakened the Dolphins and their young QB. Whatever anyone wants to say about the price tag - we got better and the Phins got worse. That's good enough for me.

Plus, I can't think of anyone else I'd rather they spend money on right now. Saving money for next year doesn't really factor in to it for me because I don't think they'll have any issues re-signing who they need to and things change so much between now and then (players, salary cap, other teams, etc.).

swiper
03-19-2015, 02:25 PM

http://www.decalsplanet.com/img_b/vinyl-decal-sticker-16348.jpg

SpikedLemonade
03-19-2015, 02:34 PM

Am I wrong?

Depends if hope is all you got.

better days
03-19-2015, 02:37 PM
Depends if hope is all you got.

The Broncos have Manning, but after last year hope is all they have.

swiper
03-19-2015, 02:47 PM
All the hope, faith and devotion in the world won't get you anything outside of a cheesy song.

YardRat
03-19-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm confused...so the answers would be...

YES-it was a good or bad move, or NO it wasn't a good or bad move.

How the hell am I supposed to answer that.

elltrain22
03-19-2015, 03:34 PM

You're sold on hope.

I've liked him since college. Wanted the Bills to draft him

Jaydog57
03-19-2015, 04:55 PM
Let me ask you something.

All things equal (like QB quality, offensive scheme, etc), where would you put Clay on a ranking of TEs?I'm not sure about an actual # ranking, but when he's healthy he's definitely above average as far as TE's are concerned. He was always on the same page with our qb Tannehill when he was supposed to get the ball thrown his way.

swiper
03-19-2015, 05:21 PM
I'm confused...so the answers would be...

YES-it was a good or bad move, or NO it wasn't a good or bad move.

How the hell am I supposed to answer that.

What? You don't speak ****** like me?

swiper
03-19-2015, 05:35 PM
I've liked him since college. Wanted the Bills to draft him

Yeah all the NFL pro-personnel guys loved him too. So much they let him drop to the 6th round.

better days
03-19-2015, 05:39 PM
Yeah all the NFL pro-personnel guys loved him too. So much they let him drop to the 6th round.

They let Tom Brady drop to the 6th rnd as well.

Fred Jackson was not drafted.

swiper
03-19-2015, 05:45 PM
Those guys have proven themselves. Clay has not.

Yasgur's Farm
03-19-2015, 05:48 PM
What equals 2 + 2
1. Yes
2. No
3. Yesterday

The Jokeman
03-19-2015, 06:08 PM
We will miss Clay in Miami but you guys overpaid, by a lot. You are giving him the equivalent of top-five receiver money, and for what??? Here is his scoring totals the past four seasons:

For a tight end (actually Clay is an "H" back, he's too short to be a pure TE, at 6'3") . He caught 58 passes for a little over 600 yards last season. Only two things matter, can he score and can he block? Look at Tannehill's sack numbers and Clays TD numbers and you get the picture. He's a great guy, and I wish him well, but no way we were going to pony up the crazy money the Bills did, especially with Cameron and Sims on the roster.

It's only top 5 money in the first two years of the deal after that and it levels out to be top 10 TE money which is what the Dolphins pretty gave him with the transition tag. If you look at his stats over the past two years they are very similar to Julius Thomas' who's earning more money in Jacksonville minus TDs. I know TDs count for something but think we can all agree that Thomas' TDs stats are a tad inflated having played in Denver with Manning the last two seasons. As to me a TD is one stat that is hard to predict for skill guys. QBs aside as maybe a little easier for them because of the law of averages but RBs, WRs, TEs it hard to say as there are so many factors inside the 20 as a guy could have a TD taken away because of a penalty and on the next play the ball goes to someone else. Personally I think the Bills are risky very little for a TE that's about to enter his prime and has shown to be among the leagues best the last two years when it comes to catches and yards.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-19-2015, 09:13 PM
Clay's a fine player and I'm sure he'll be fun to watch.

But we way overpaid for him.

elltrain22
03-19-2015, 10:28 PM
They are wrong all the time, just like this time

better days
03-20-2015, 08:16 AM
Clay's a fine player and I'm sure he'll be fun to watch.

But we way overpaid for him.

The only way the Bills were going to get Clay out of Miami was to over pay for him.

But as I said before, the Bills did not over pay as much as some people think they did.

And the Bills did not sign Clay to be a TD threat, the Bills have that already in Watkins, McCoy & Woods.

Clay was signed because he is a versatile all around TE.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-20-2015, 09:23 AM
The only way the Bills were going to get Clay out of Miami was to over pay for him.

I agree, but that's why I think he was the wrong FA to chase.

But as I said before, the Bills did not over pay as much as some people think they did.

And the Bills did not sign Clay to be a TD threat, the Bills have that already in Watkins, McCoy & Woods.

Clay was signed because he is a versatile all around TE.

These statements are why I'm saying they overpaid. Clay is being paid as if he was the #1 option, but he's not. He's the #3/#4 option, possibly even the #5 this year depending on how much they incorporate Harvin.

better days
03-20-2015, 09:32 AM
I agree, but that's why I think he was the wrong FA to chase.

These statements are why I'm saying they overpaid. Clay is being paid as if he was the #1 option, but he's not. He's the #3/#4 option, possibly even the #5 this year depending on how much they incorporate Harvin.

Well, the Bills organization disagrees with you.

I read that Clay was the most important player in FA that the Bills wanted & that they thought the off season would be successful if they got him & no one else.

Well, the Bills did get him. SUCCESS.