Pessimists/Haters please comment, if you dare..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elltrain22
    • Sep 2003

Pessimists/Haters please comment, if you dare..

I don't disagree that our current QB stable is not nearly up to par w/ the status quo teams like NE, Den, & GB. However, we have so much offensive talent, that I will argue that an average QB can be viable (not great or even good) in this offense. That is one thing that most point out. We and any successful team needs to have a QB that is a game changer, a guy that can outscore defenses. We don't have that. I don't dispute that at all!! What do we have?? A defense, that we know, can shut any QB down....

If we came into last season knowing Kyle Orton was our QB, we'd have all been despondent, and would not have believed that our team could've been a playoff contender. Truth be told, I would have factored into this sterotype.

Honestly ask yourself these 2 questions. If Orton would've started all 16 games last year, don't you think our team was good enough to make the playoffs??? We were 9-7, but IMHO, we would've won at least 1 game that EJ lost.

2nd question, don't you totally agree that with the weapons we know have on offense, plus Ignognito, and you can only assume another addition of the offensive line via the draft or FA, that Matt Cassell is an equal or an even better option than Kyle Orton?? I am a realistic Bills fan, and even I can answer both these questions with a resounding yes.

What say you??

Go Bills!! BTW, tank on Sabres!!!
    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...
  • BuffaloRedleg
    • Aug 2013

Re: Pessimists/Haters please comment, if you dare..

tl;dr Bills will win Superbowl bank it
    Last edited by BuffaloRedleg; 03-19-2015, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

You are assuming that the defense will be able to at least replicate their performance from last season, and with the switch I'm not real confident in that happening.

Will the offense improve this season? I certainly hope so, it can't get much worse. Will it be enough to overcome the regression of the defense? I have serious doubts. IMO the Ryan hire automatically kicked us back to a 6-10 team, and we're building on that for this season, not 9-7.

As I said in another thread, I'd be looking forward to this season much more, and probably look more favorably upon some of the off season acquisitions, if the defense were intact and moving forward. But it isn't.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        You are assuming that the defense will be able to at least replicate their performance from last season, and with the switch I'm not real confident in that happening.

Will the offense improve this season? I certainly hope so, it can't get much worse. Will it be enough to overcome the regression of the defense? I have serious doubts. IMO the Ryan hire automatically kicked us back to a 6-10 team, and we're building on that for this season, not 9-7.

As I said in another thread, I'd be looking forward to this season much more, and probably look more favorably upon some of the off season acquisitions, if the defense were intact and moving forward. But it isn't.
        Oh come on. You aren't confident about the defense? So are you less than 50%? They will be fine that is an insane amount of talent on defense. If you think they were just good because of scheme then I don't know what to tell you.

The offense? Okay, that I'll talk about. That is the delta in this whole change.

The magical scheme change that everyone pretends they know will happen is not a problem, that's just grasping at straws. Great players are just great players and I'm sure they are smart enough to know how to work that.

Comment

• Strongman
          • Apr 2006

I think our roster has improved and Roman will be an upgrade over Hackett and Marrone's college football playbook. If our Defense is as good as last year, I think we are looking at +2 wins over last season's record.

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

you have a funny haircut

oh you mean about football
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

The playoffs require good teams with good luck. This Bills had an ok team and good luck, hence 9-7. I think this new Bills team is better. Better coaching, better talent, better owners, etc.

However, as impressive as the offensive additions are with the nucleus of current offensive talent (McCoy, Clay, Harvin Woods, And Watkins) I equate this to a corvette with a Yugo transmission. Looks good, sounds good, but your not going very far with it.....QB is going to be a massive limitation.

I think the Bills were lucky to be 9-7, and to be honest we were 8-8. The Pats gave us that game. So 10-6 is a good goal.

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                Will it be enough to overcome the regression of the defense?
                So D regression is a given, etched in stone. We are running a 3-4 D and going square peg in round hole without question.

Got it.

March 20th.
                Last edited by Night Train; 03-20-2015, 03:56 AM.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• chris66
                  • Sep 2006

No oline, no qb. 9-7 at best. No playoffs

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
                    Oh come on. You aren't confident about the defense? So are you less than 50%? They will be fine that is an insane amount of talent on defense. If you think they were just good because of scheme then I don't know what to tell you.
                    Because of scheme only? No. Because of matching the right scheme with the right players? Yes.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                      So D regression is a given, etched in stone. We are running a 3-4 D and going square peg in round hole without question.

Got it.

March 20th.
                      A given? No. My opinion that it's highly likely? Yes. We've seen this defense before, with (mostly) these players. It wasn't nearly as pretty as it was last season.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

This team is very exciting to talk about. But before we talk about players matching schemes let's not forget two teams who had similar schemes, ranked #3 and #4 in rushing, had crappy passing, and didn't win a lot of games.....the Jets and the 49rs.

I can't remember those coaches names or where they went but not sure how great their offensive schemes worked out.

Comment

• Buckets
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE View Post
                          The playoffs require good teams with good luck. This Bills had an ok team and good luck, hence 9-7. I think this new Bills team is better. Better coaching, better talent, better owners, etc.

However, as impressive as the offensive additions are with the nucleus of current offensive talent (McCoy, Clay, Harvin Woods, And Watkins) I equate this to a corvette with a Yugo transmission. Looks good, sounds good, but your not going very far with it.....QB is going to be a massive limitation.

I think the Bills were lucky to be 9-7, and to be honest we were 8-8. The Pats gave us that game. So 10-6 is a good goal.
                          Maybe so but prior to the game Brady said he wanted to work on timing etc. because the passing game wasn't where he wanted it to be and we smothered him driving him from the field.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Great idea eltrain in getting all the whiners and haters to identify themselves in the same thread so we can shoot them all at once.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Well, I disagree with YardRat that the Defense will not do as well as last year.

In fact, I think the Defense will be BETTER than last year with Rex running a similar defense that Pettine ran the year before last.

Rex Ryan has always had a defense that rated high & he has not had players as good as the Bills players he will have this year.

EJ Manuel just turned 25 years old & has yet to start 16 games in his entire NFL career.

At age 24:

Troy Aikman 7-8 record 11 TD's 18 INT's

Drew Brees 2-9 record 11 TD's 15 INT's

Dan Fouts 2-7 record 2 TD's 10 INT's

EJ Manuel 6-8 record 16 TD's 12 INT's

It is still possible that EJ develops into an NFL starting QB maybe even a franchise QB.

It is also possible that Matt Cassel becomes Rich Gannon 2.0 Gannon was a QB that developed into a good QB late in his career.

I expect the Bills to make the playoffs this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X