PDA

View Full Version : Just so we are clear our record was 8-8 (.500) last year.

HHURRICANE
03-20-2015, 03:33 AM
Can we agree that the Pats game, in NE, would have been a loss if it mattered. And for those who think we just missed the playoffs even 10-6 wouldn't have made the cut.

The Bills were 3 games away last year. That's a big number. And before you tell me about the Chiefs and Texans, let's think about all the games where we pulled a rabbit out of our hat or we had some things go our way. That's football.

This team with a few more additions and tweaks looks like a very good 10-6 team. Look at the teams that made the playoffs last year and tell me the one with the below average QB.

Dr. Lecter
03-20-2015, 03:58 AM
Sigh.

And how about games they just lost? Can those be counted as wins, just like the ones they just lost you want to count as losses?

And who's to say 10-6 won't make the playoffs this year?

Your application of logic to this argument is weak. Very weak

There are a lot of reasons to wonder if this team will really contend for the playoffs.

Discounting games they won, saying they pulled a rabbit out to win games, and discounting that other teams that improved by 3 games is silly.

Use real reasons. Not fake ones.

Night Train
03-20-2015, 04:01 AM
W- 9
L - 7
Ifs -16

HHURRICANE
03-20-2015, 04:03 AM
Use real reasons. Not fake ones.

I did use logic. The Pats gave us a free game. 8-8. Last year 10-6 still wouldn't have made the playoffs.

What's confusing?

justasportsfan
03-20-2015, 04:53 AM
Must be Confisious logic

Dr. Lecter
03-20-2015, 05:05 AM
I did use logic. The Pats gave us a free game. 8-8. Last year 10-6 still wouldn't have made the playoffs.

What's confusing?

I think it was explained.

First off, you're assuming that 10-6 doesn't make it this year, which is faulty logic.

Second, you want people to ignore that teams DO improve by 3 games in a year all the time.

TacklingDummy
03-20-2015, 05:31 AM
Without a QB there won't be any playoffs.

Let's hope EJ has improved.

BillsFanCupp38
03-20-2015, 06:34 AM
More like 6-10. We had no business winning that Detroit or Minnesota game.

Dr. Lecter
03-20-2015, 06:39 AM
Well, 5-11.

I mean Rodgers played so poorly it was a fluke.

And if you think about it, Miami so soundly beat them the second time around it's clear that the win against them was pure emotion.

So in reality it was 4-12.

Night Train
03-20-2015, 06:46 AM
Well, 5-11.

And if you think about it, Miami so soundly beat them the second time around it's clear that the win against them was pure emotion.

Which, in " Reality " means the Cleveland pick we traded away for Watkins was top 3-4....which means " OMG ! WE COULD HAVE DRAFTED WINSTON OR MARIOTA !!! "

BTW- Do they serve scones and tea at Prozac festivals ?

casdhf
03-20-2015, 06:46 AM
Brady played and was very ineffective. I don't concede that game.

HHURRICANE
03-20-2015, 07:00 AM
I think it was explained.

First off, you're assuming that 10-6 doesn't make it this year, which is faulty logic.

Second, you want people to ignore that teams DO improve by 3 games in a year all the time.

I never said that 10-6 wouldn't make the playoffs this year...NEVER SAID IT.

I said it wasn't good enough last year.

HHURRICANE
03-20-2015, 07:05 AM
The point of my thread is that alot of people here think we were one game from the playoffs....we weren't.

Pinkerton Security
03-20-2015, 07:08 AM
This is such a douche-y thread its unbelievable. As others have said, some games are given somewhat intentionally (sitting starters) and some are given unintentionally (massive amounts of turnovers) - that doesnt change your record.

With this logic, the Seahawks are actually the Super Bowl champions right now since they SHOULD have run the ball with Beastmode and scored, right?

Dr. Lecter
03-20-2015, 07:17 AM
The point of my thread is that alot of people here think we were one game from the playoffs....we weren't.

I don't I've seen many people say that.

Can you point who has said and how it constitutes "a lot"?

HHURRICANE
03-20-2015, 07:35 AM
This is such a douche-y thread its unbelievable. As others have said, some games are given somewhat intentionally (sitting starters) and some are given unintentionally (massive amounts of turnovers) - that doesnt change your record.

With this logic, the Seahawks are actually the Super Bowl champions right now since they SHOULD have run the ball with Beastmode and scored, right?

Again, if you want do disagree with me that's fine. But this team was three wins away from making the playoffs. Two if you want to count the New Engalnd game which is ridculous. Every sports annoucer starts off with the Bills were "9-7, although one of their wins was when the Patriots rested everyone." just heard that the on NFL Network.

HHURRICANE
03-20-2015, 07:41 AM
I don't I've seen many people say that.

Can you point who has said and how it constitutes "a lot"?

I'll start working on that as soon as you admit that I never said that 10-6 wouldn't get us in the playoffs this year.

Dr. Lecter
03-20-2015, 07:45 AM
I'll start working on that as soon as you admit that I never said that 10-6 wouldn't get us in the playoffs this year.

You certainly seemd to imply it, by saying that 10-6 wasn't good enough

But you never said it.

So, now - start working on it.

Meathead
03-20-2015, 07:53 AM
yeah well seventeen of the boston teams wins came while they were cheating and they still get credit for being champs

Joe Fo Sho
03-20-2015, 07:54 AM
Again, if you want do disagree with me that's fine. But this team was three wins away from making the playoffs. Two if you want to count the New Engalnd game which is ridculous. Every sports annoucer starts off with the Bills were "9-7, although one of their wins was when the Patriots rested everyone." just heard that the on NFL Network.

Stop the presses, guys! He heard it on NFL Network!!

/thread

Skooby
03-20-2015, 08:02 AM
Regardless of the last Pats game, our offense was terrible last season & I'm hoping that our new weapons / scheme will make us better. An extra 6-8 points a game would of make us a playoff team, so forget about what might of happened.

HHURRICANE
03-20-2015, 08:15 AM
You certainly seemd to imply it, by saying that 10-6 wasn't good enough

But you never said it.

So, now - start working on it.

"Honestly ask yourself these 2 questions. If Orton would've started all 16 games last year, don't you think our team was good enough to make the playoffs??? We were 9-7, but IMHO, we would've won at least 1 game that EJ lost."

From the thread started by Elltrain a few spots above this one....

Owned!

THATHURMANATOR
03-20-2015, 08:21 AM
No I am pretty sure our record was 9-7

Joe Fo Sho
03-20-2015, 08:26 AM
No I am pretty sure our record was 9-7

I know, right? I double checked with the internet and it confirmed that we were indeed 9-7. I don't know how reputable sites like NFL.com are though. Has anyone dealt with them before?

Dr. Lecter
03-20-2015, 08:28 AM
"Honestly ask yourself these 2 questions. If Orton would've started all 16 games last year, don't you think our team was good enough to make the playoffs??? We were 9-7, but IMHO, we would've won at least 1 game that EJ lost."

From the thread started by Elltrain a few spots above this one....

Owned!

You said "a lot". That's not one.

I never said that NOBODY said that.

Show me where "a lot" of people said this.

I'm just using your words

Good try.

HHURRICANE
03-20-2015, 08:46 AM
You said "a lot". That's not one.

I never said that NOBODY said that.

Show me where "a lot" of people said this.

I'm just using your words

Good try.

Well you implied.....

All kidding aside I'm just making the point that we weren't as close as "some" of the posters think around here.

I'm excited and i think we are better. Just not thinking that we were a player or two away last year.

Plus I like stirring the pot.

Skooby
03-20-2015, 08:57 AM
Well you implied.....

All kidding aside I'm just making the point that we weren't as close as "some" of the posters think around here.

I'm excited and i think we are better. Just not thinking that we were a player or two away last year.

Plus I like stirring the pot.

We need to score more points & have longer-drives where we end up scoring TD's / not FG's. Hopefully the players we added can help us extend drives and finish. 2 FG drives can be overcame by one TD, so why bother unless your touching up to a 9 point lead ?

Edward Robinson
03-20-2015, 09:01 AM
Like one of the other posters stated by saying the BILLS were 9-7 because the PATS rested their players is so disrespectful on so many levels. If that game didn't count then why play the game in the 1st place. Should have gave each team the tie. There was definite no guarantee that the PATS would have won if they didn't rest their starters. It would be like saying like the other poster stated " New England Patriots 2014 Superbowl champs only because Seattle didnt run the ball"

Bill Cody
03-20-2015, 09:25 AM
Like one of the other posters stated by saying the BILLS were 9-7 because the PATS rested their players is so disrespectful on so many levels. If that game didn't count then why play the game in the 1st place. Should have gave each team the tie. There was definite no guarantee that the PATS would have won if they didn't rest their starters. It would be like saying like the other poster stated " New England Patriots 2014 Superbowl champs only because Seattle didnt run the ball"

We might have won. I certainly don't rule it out. I don't call us 8-8. But it is 9-7 with like an asterisk.

The point about QB play literally can't be repeated enough though (ok I withdraw that it can :D:). Someone talked about increasing points by 6-8 a game. That's like going from dating hookers to runway models. I don't see that. What you need at a minimum is a QB that can convert 3rd and short, 3rd and medium pretty consistently. I'd take that right now. Because Orton didn't deliver that. And EJ sure didn't last year. You can get around .500 with a bum under center. But that's the ceiling.

better days
03-20-2015, 09:28 AM

ALL games are played, even by teams that are mathematically eliminated.

Hell the Raiders could have stopped playing before the game they beat the Bills to knock them out of the playoffs.

No there is no guarantee the Pats* would have won that game if they needed it, but I think it would have been very probable.

BuffaloRedleg
03-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Well, 5-11.

Some of those 4 games left were because the other team was off their game. We only won because the other teams were not prepared.

0-16.

Night Train
03-20-2015, 09:52 AM
Don't forget. USA Today instructed us we would be 3-13 in August. Many here cheerfully embraced that thread as " fact ", then proceeded to moan weekly for the next 4-5 months, especially after " shocking " wins. :rolleyes:

BuffaloRedleg
03-20-2015, 10:15 AM
Don't forget. USA Today instructed us we would be 3-13 in August. Many here cheerfully embraced that thread as " fact ", then proceeded to moan weekly for the next 4-5 months, especially after " shocking " wins. :rolleyes:

Oh crap I forgot about how bad we were in preseason.

I think our wins should be adjusted to -3.

feldspar
03-20-2015, 10:21 AM
We don't have the same schedule as last year, first of all. So that's a whole different thing right there.

Last year, I think the Bills only played one team that was in the bottom half in the league defensively. One reason why the offense looked bad. Another reason was because they WERE pretty bad, but you have to consider the competition. The Bills were completely inexperienced at WR going into last season as well. Robert Woods was the veteran with 40 catches going in, really. Nobody even had 1,000 yards receiving, and I guarantee you that won't happen this year if you wanna make a bet. The running game was pathetic really, and I guarantee you that won't happen again this year...guys hurt and dinged up...Fred Jackson had the most yards at 525. I think that Shady will have more yards than all of our RBs combined last year or somewhere in that vicinity. Talk about Orton compared to Cassel or whatever, but this offense should be significantly improved even without more offensively line help, which I'm sure will happen. We already have the Incognito addition, as well as Chris Williams back. Somebody is bound to step up and improve there too. Better skill position play makes the offensive line better, too.

I'm not too worried about the defense or special teams. It's the offense that's the wildcard here. I'd say that coaching is an improvement, which is very important.

I'm cautiously optimistic myself.

EricStratton
03-20-2015, 10:56 AM
I don't like cheese.

Oh, I thought this was irrelevant post Friday.

Mr. Miyagi
03-20-2015, 10:57 AM
Can we agree that the Pats game, in NE, would have been a loss if it mattered. And for those who think we just missed the playoffs even 10-6 wouldn't have made the cut.

The Bills were 3 games away last year. That's a big number. And before you tell me about the Chiefs and Texans, let's think about all the games where we pulled a rabbit out of our hat or we had some things go our way. That's football.

This team with a few more additions and tweaks looks like a very good 10-6 team. Look at the teams that made the playoffs last year and tell me the one with the below average QB.
This thread is stupid. You can if and but all day to spin it to the answer you want.

psubills62
03-20-2015, 11:08 AM
After missing the playoffs because we lost to Pittsburgh's 3rd stringers years ago, a win is a win.

Joe Fo Sho
03-20-2015, 11:29 AM
After missing the playoffs because we lost to Pittsburgh's 3rd stringers years ago, a win is a win.

That Bills team was under the impression that because the Steelers were resting their starters, that the NFL was going to award us a win whether we deserved it or not. Bledsoe didn't even realize the game was being televised and thought the fans in attendance were NFL employees who were aware of the situation. When asked about his poor play in the post game interview Bledsoe had HHurricane's similar thought process of how the NFL works and said "Can we all just agree that we won that game? I mean c'mon, if we tried we could've easily beat the Steelers 3rd stringers. Who do we play in the playoffs next week?"

swiper
03-20-2015, 11:36 AM
Regardless of the last Pats game, our offense was terrible last season & I'm hoping that our new weapons / scheme will make us better. An extra 6-8 points a game would of make us a playoff team, so forget about what might of happened.

The thing was that it was so close to being decent. If Orton would have only played a bit better, if the line was just a bit tighter, ....They could have pulled out 2 more games....

But then again Marrone would probably still be here as HC then.

Orton retiring is so weird.

HAMMER
03-20-2015, 11:54 AM
HH is right. No way Bills win in NE if the Pats didn't play it like a preseason game, NO WAY. Our victories against both the Lions and Vikings were nothing short of miracles. This team was not a 9-7 team regardless of what the record said. They have a long way to go but if EJ can take a step forward we will be in solid shape. No way Matt Cassel is the answer.

psubills62
03-20-2015, 12:04 PM
HH is right. No way Bills win in NE if the Pats didn't play it like a preseason game, NO WAY. Our victories against both the Lions and Vikings were nothing short of miracles. This team was not a 9-7 team regardless of what the record said. They have a long way to go but if EJ can take a step forward we will be in solid shape. No way Matt Cassel is the answer.
Do we ever have miracle losses? Most people seem to think the Chiefs pulled a miracle against us, why doesn't that count in the positive direction? "Miracle" wins are still wins. This is exactly like when people argue for counting moral wins and people like HH rip into them about it.

GvilleBills
03-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Just so we're clear, no amount of lobbying or semantics will change the fact the record books will always say 9-7. Because that was the record.
It doesn't matter whether NE was looking towards the playoffs, or if Marrone should've played EJ.

Revisionist history threads are a waste of bandwidth.

Just so we're clear...

BertSquirtgum
03-20-2015, 01:13 PM

No. It was 9-7

BertSquirtgum
03-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Go back to where you were HH. We didnt miss these douche bag threads.

Bill Cody
03-20-2015, 01:53 PM
Just so we're clear, no amount of lobbying or semantics will change the fact the record books will always say 9-7. Because that was the record.
It doesn't matter whether NE was looking towards the playoffs, or if Marrone should've played EJ.

Revisionist history threads are a waste of bandwidth.

Just so we're clear...

Just so we're clear...9-7 and 8-8 amount to the exact same thing, no playoffs, not good enough. It's a difference without a distinction. We beat the Pats scrubs, sound the trumpets.

GvilleBills
03-20-2015, 02:04 PM
Just so we're clear...9-7 and 8-8 amount to the exact same thing, no playoffs, not good enough. It's a difference without a distinction. We beat the Pats scrubs, sound the trumpets.

And??? Still a dumbass thread.

GvilleBills
03-20-2015, 02:10 PM
Had the Pats* run out the Sisters of the Poor in their uniforms, it still was a notch in the win column.

Was it in service to Marrone's ego? Most certainly.

But in 100 years, when someone looks back it won't say Buffalo went 8-8, will it?

IlluminatusUIUC
03-20-2015, 02:17 PM
The Patriots had a hell of a lot more miracles to win the Baltimore game and Seattle to win the Green Bay game. Yet they still get to play in the Super Bowl.

swiper
03-20-2015, 04:13 PM
The Patriots had a hell of a lot more miracles to win the Baltimore game and Seattle to win the Green Bay game. Yet they still get to play in the Super Bowl.

That they did. Makes you wonder if the league is fixed.

justasportsfan
03-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Coulda/shoulda argument goes both ways. Bills coulda/shoulda won vs chargers/Texans if Ej didn't play those games

Mr. Miyagi
03-20-2015, 05:01 PM
A win is a win. The year that St. Louis won the SB they had the weakest schedule of the whole league. Same with the Patriots' first SB, they played almost no playoff teams. But did it count? Yes it did.

The Beef
03-20-2015, 05:05 PM
More like 6-10. We had no business winning that Detroit or Minnesota game.

This is the new "yeah so and so isn't that great of a RB if you take away his 2 40 yard runs. We held him to 3.0 on his other 20 carries."

We had every right to win the Texans and Chiefs game and gave them away.

**** happens. We finished 9-7. We could've lost the Bears game, the Packers game, the 2nd Patriots game, We could've been like a 5 win team.

Turns out we were a 9 win team.

HHURRICANE
03-20-2015, 05:07 PM
This thread is stupid. You can if and but all day to spin it to the answer you want.

The thread is perfect. You not being able to admit that the team was given a "freebie" proves my point. If you want to run around with the "we were (9-7) and we almost made it" mentality, go for it. It's 9-7 on the books, but it's an asterisk and you know it. It's also 3 games away from the playoffs and that's reality. I equate it to winning a beauty contest but your the only contestant. I wouldn't be running around with a crown on my head.

HHURRICANE
03-20-2015, 05:09 PM
A win is a win. The year that St. Louis won the SB they had the weakest schedule of the whole league. Same with the Patriots' first SB, they played almost no playoff teams. But did it count? Yes it did.

I'm pretty sure the teams they played didn't sit the starters.

justasportsfan
03-20-2015, 05:27 PM
The thread is perfect. You not being able to admit that the team was given a "freebie" proves my point. If you want to run around with the "we were (9-7) and we almost made it" mentality, go for it. It's 9-7 on the books, but it's an asterisk and you know it.

So not playing Orton vs chargers and Texans was a freebie to both those teams? Those were asterisks too.

Mr. Miyagi
03-20-2015, 05:30 PM
The thread is perfect. You not being able to admit that the team was given a "freebie" proves my point. If you want to run around with the "we were (9-7) and we almost made it" mentality, go for it. It's 9-7 on the books, but it's an asterisk and you know it. It's also 3 games away from the playoffs and that's reality. I equate it to winning a beauty contest but your the only contestant. I wouldn't be running around with a crown on my head.
Your anti-depressant is running low again huh? Jesus you guys are so sad.

HHURRICANE
03-20-2015, 07:07 PM
Your anti-depressant is running low again huh? Jesus you guys are so sad.

Now that was funny!!!

GvilleBills
03-20-2015, 08:17 PM

The bolded = end thread

SeatownBillsFan21
03-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Ahh we finished 9-7 dummy.

BuffaloRedleg
03-20-2015, 11:02 PM

Uhh dummy they were outplayed so those wins don't count. They didn't deserve to win the Superbowl because they almost blew it, so that doesn't count either.

Really, the Patriots were 0-16 actually because every time they won the other team didn't play as well and every time the lost they deserved it.

If only Bills fan logic was applied to ever team...

feldspar
03-21-2015, 05:56 AM
Without a QB there won't be any playoffs.

Let's hope EJ has improved.

OK, dummy.

Just thought I'd join the fray of the recent trend of calling one another "dummy." Only this time it seems less offensive, maybe.

http://tvland.mtvnimages.com/images/shows/sanford_and_son/photos/Sanford13d.jpg

swiper
03-21-2015, 06:11 AM

Yep. The Bills all showed up and did the job they were paid to do that day. They got a win. The circumstances weren't exactly "the norm", but the Patriots would have gladly taken the win should the Bills wanted to give it to them. So, yes, it counts in every way.

feldspar
03-21-2015, 06:23 AM
Yep. The Bills all showed up and did the job they were paid to do that day. They got a win. The circumstances weren't exactly "the norm", but the Patriots would have gladly taken the win should the Bills wanted to give it to them. So, yes, it counts in every way.

Dunno.

Remember in 2004 when the Bills lost the final game of the season to the Steelers' scrubs and therefore missed the playoffs? Who could forget, right?

But, anyway, was that really a loss...or does that count as losing twice? We must have lost that game twice somehow. I think the Bills were 9-8 that season then. That's quite a feat in that case...unprecedented, probably.

GvilleBills
03-21-2015, 07:24 AM
Dunno.

Remember in 2004 when the Bills lost the final game of the season to the Steelers' scrubs and therefore missed the playoffs? Who could forget, right?

But, anyway, was that really a loss...or does that count as losing twice? We must have lost that game twice somehow. I think the Bills were 9-8 that season then. That's quite a feat in that case...unprecedented, probably.

They wouldn't be the Buffalo Bills if they weren't blazing new trails!!

sudzy
03-21-2015, 08:33 AM

NFL Network is well known as an impartial, unbiased network. Especially when it comes to the Pats and the Bills.

Zero
03-21-2015, 09:26 AM
W- 9
L - 7
Ifs -16

Pretty Much!

BuffaloRedleg
03-21-2015, 09:28 AM
OK, dummy.

Just thought I'd join the fray of the recent trend of calling one another "dummy." Only this time it seems less offensive, maybe.

http://tvland.mtvnimages.com/images/shows/sanford_and_son/photos/Sanford13d.jpg

If you are referring to me I was being sarcastic.

feldspar
03-21-2015, 09:55 AM
I was being sarcastic.

Me too.

better days
03-21-2015, 09:59 AM

The Pats* game can be counted as a win...BUT a MEANINGLESS win.