PDA

View Full Version : Rex Ryan Thinks Tyrod Taylor Is, 'Probably The Fastest Quarterback In The League'

BillsImpossible
03-20-2015, 06:05 PM
Heard Rex say it on WGR this morning with Howard Simon and Jeremy White.

Very interesting interview with Rex Ryan.

If you missed it: http://media.wgr550.com/a/103497502/320-rex-ryan-talks-clay-harvin-and-qbs.htm

Jeremy White pops the big quarterback question at about the 5:30 mark.

Ryan's comments on Tyrod Taylor are at about the 6:30 mark.

So what do you think about the quarterback situation now?

Notable quotes from the interview:

On Cassel: "Veteran...he's done some pretty good things in this league."

Ryan sounds about as excited as Tyler Myers before he was traded.

On Manuel: "Just going in to his third year, I really believe EJ is going to improve tremendously with his fundamentals."

"Just," his third year and those training wheels are soon about to come off I tell ya!

On Taylor: "He's probably the fastest quarterback in the league, he's explosive running the zone reads and things like that."

Quite the contrast.

On the QB competition: "There will be competition, the person is going to have to earn the job that hasn't been handed to somebody."

Holy crap, he actually said that. Was that a shot at Doug Whaley or what?

This interview wasn't the first time Rex Ryan has said Tyrod Taylor is one of the fastest, if not the fastest quarterback in the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/75610/rex-ryan-bills-sign-qb-tyrod-taylor

“I actually tried to trade for [Taylor] when I was with the Jets,” Ryan said. “If he’s not the fastest quarterback in the league, he’s certainly up there with them. He’s got great run skills. I’m not gonna say he’s Russell Wilson (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14881/russell-wilson), but he’s got a little of that in him, where he’s able to run zone reads and pull the ball down and be effective.”

Can Matt Cassel or EJ Manuel run zone reads and be effective?

Is there any doubt as to who Rex Ryan's preference is at quarterback?

YardRat
03-20-2015, 06:14 PM
"We need a QB that can read defenses, isn't afraid to throw the ball, and is at least moderately accurate, badly."
"I know one that is probably the fastest in the league."
"LET'S GO GET 'EM!!"

(a preponderance of high fives, butt-slaps, and 'Woo-hoo's' explode within the war room)

better days
03-20-2015, 06:31 PM
I heard the interview as well.

One guy I know Rex said NOTHING about is Tuel.

He will have to be IMPRESSIVE from the git go or he is gone in a HURRY.

I think Rex has a belief that EJ can be Coached up to be a starting QB in the NFL.

I really don't think EJ has played any worse than the QB Rex had when the Jets went to the AFC Championship game two years in a row.

BillsImpossible
03-20-2015, 06:59 PM
"We need a QB that can read defenses, isn't afraid to throw the ball, and is at least moderately accurate, badly."
"I know one that is probably the fastest in the league."
"LET'S GO GET 'EM!!"

(a preponderance of high fives, butt-slaps, and 'Woo-hoo's' explode within the war room)

I really do not understand why so many Bills fans are high on Manuel or Cassel to start the season, especially when the head coach is blowing major smoke signals to indicate otherwise.

With the kind of run heavy offense Greg Roman is planning to implement, Matt Cassel looks like a square surrounded by 10 round running holes.

EJ Manuel is 6'4 and 240 lbs. He's not fast, and he's not a running threat. He's too big, and immobile. The knees prove it.

Get off of your bleeping Matt Cassel, Kyle Orton, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Trent Edwards knees.

Tyrod Taylor is fast, he's a running threat, and he's the only player that looks like the kind of well rounded quarterback that fits in with the rest of the Bills off season offensive build.

Taylor is built like a running back at 6'1 and 215 lbs.

Out of the 3 potential starting quarterbacks, Taylor wins hands down when it comes to running the ball.

All Tyrod Taylor has to do is match Matt Cassel and EJ Manuel in the passing game.

That should not be difficult to do.

better days
03-20-2015, 07:07 PM
I really do not understand why so many Bills fans are high on Manuel or Cassel to start the season, especially when the head coach is blowing major smoke signals to indicate otherwise.

With the kind of run heavy offense Greg Roman is planning to implement, Matt Cassel looks like a square surrounded by 10 round running holes.

EJ Manuel is 6'4 and 240 lbs. He's not fast, and he's not a running threat. He's too big, and immobile. The knees prove it.

Get off of your bleeping Matt Cassel, Kyle Orton, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Trent Edwards knees.

Tyrod Taylor is fast, he's a running threat, and he's the only player that looks like the kind of well rounded quarterback that fits in with the rest of the Bills off season offensive build.

Taylor is built like a running back at 6'1 and 215 lbs.

Out of the 3 potential starting quarterbacks, Taylor wins hands down when it comes to running the ball.

All Tyrod Taylor has to do is match Matt Cassel and EJ Manuel in the passing game.

That should not be difficult to do.

EJ is not Mike Vick but he is not a statue like Orton either.

Even Cassel is not a statue like Orton.

I think Taylor is a gimmick QB that may see some playing time in certain situations.

HHURRICANE
03-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Wait I'm confused...was he talking about Michael Vick?

BillsImpossible
03-20-2015, 07:19 PM
I heard the interview as well.

One guy I know Rex said NOTHING about is Tuel.

He will have to be IMPRESSIVE from the git go or he is gone in a HURRY.

I think Rex has a belief that EJ can be Coached up to be a starting QB in the NFL.

I really don't think EJ has played any worse than the QB Rex had when the Jets went to the AFC Championship game two years in a row.

Ryan mentions, 'Tuele,' at the 6:47 mark. Rex devotes an entire half second to him.

Night Train
03-20-2015, 07:19 PM
I'm not anti-Manuel at all... but he needs to step it up this spring/summer or he may be the odd man out.

The vet Cassel is the obvious fall back to start and I think he likes Taylor more than we think. His contract was better than I thought and he has incentive, after being stuck at #2 for 4 years behind the indestructible Flacco. No way did he sign here thinking he was a distant #3 option. He was told something.

I don't see Manuel as a #2 coming off the bench at all. He either emerges as the starter or he's in trouble. Taylor may be viewed as a QB far more athletic and capable of coming in off the bench and providing a spark.

JMO.

BillsImpossible
03-20-2015, 07:27 PM

Tyrod Taylor is a 25 year old player like Michael Vick, but with a much better head on his shoulders, and much younger.

Virginia Tech did better.

Novacane
03-20-2015, 07:43 PM
You are hearing what you want to hear. He forgot Taylors name for a couple seconds when he got to talking about him.

HHURRICANE
03-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Tyrod Taylor is a 25 year old player like Michael Vick, but with a much better head on his shoulders, and much younger.

Virginia Tech did better.

Please don't get too excited. This guy was a rushing machine but could never complete a pass in college.

better days
03-20-2015, 07:58 PM

No, Rex did not mention Vick.

I was comparing EJ's mobility to the mobility of Vick & Orton.

EJ is not as mobile as Vick but much more mobile than Orton.

BillsImpossible
03-20-2015, 08:07 PM
Please don't get too excited. This guy was a rushing machine but could never complete a pass in college.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tyrod-taylor-1.html

Senior year doesn't count?

IlluminatusUIUC
03-20-2015, 08:19 PM
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tyrod-taylor-1.html

Senior year doesn't count?

A sub 60% completion rate in college makes a guy nigh-undraftable. If he hadn't scorched earth in the combine workouts, he'd have been a UFA.

I haven't paid any attention to him since he entered the NFL, but based on his college numbers I'm not expecting much. He strikes me as Brad Smith 2.

WagonCircler
03-20-2015, 08:58 PM
I'm telling you, Rex LOVES Tyrod, and the didn't sign Cassell to cut him.

EJ is a goner.

Strongman
03-20-2015, 10:09 PM
EJ is going to get at least another year. It's a new system and really the first time in his professional career that he has real coaches. Let's face it, Hackett was in way over his head being an OC in the NFL. He had a lot of ideas, but very limited experience.

Meathead
03-20-2015, 10:37 PM
1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.01% ej starts the season

Topas
03-21-2015, 02:50 AM
We have the fastest QB. Now we only need to get the best-looking CB and the O-Line player that is the best painter in the league and we are a look for the playoffs.
If we can also somehow trade up in the draft and get the best singer at LB, I think we are Super Bowl bound...

better days
03-21-2015, 07:36 AM
I'm telling you, Rex LOVES Tyrod, and the didn't sign Cassell to cut him.

EJ is a goner.

I think the Bills carry three QB's.

Tuel is the goner, not EJ.

Forward_Lateral
03-21-2015, 08:28 AM
EJ ran a 4.65 40. While not blazing fast, it's by no means slow, either. If he'd use his legs more, he'd be a much more effective QB, IMO.

Night Train
03-21-2015, 08:43 AM
EJ ran a 4.65 40. While not blazing fast, it's by no means slow, either. If he'd use his legs more, he'd be a much more effective QB, IMO.

I'm just worried about his practice of not hitting the ocean while standing on the beach. It's all about his accuracy this camp.

The weapons (McCoy,Jackson,Dixon,Woods,Watkins,Harvin,Clay and more) are all over the roster now.

Ryan doesn't care who wins the job. It's the guy who consistently puts the rock into the hands of his skill players. He didn't draft Manuel and owes him nothing.

Open competition.

Yasgur's Farm
03-21-2015, 08:46 AM
We have the fastest QB. Now we only need to get the best-looking CB and the O-Line player that is the best painter in the league and we are a look for the playoffs.
If we can also somehow trade up in the draft and get the best singer at LB, I think we are Super Bowl bound...My Kingdom for an elite baker on the Bills!

Meathead
03-21-2015, 09:01 AM
If we can also somehow trade up in the draft and get the best singer at LB, I think we are Super Bowl bound...

i heard michael sam does a pretty mean if i were a rich man

IlluminatusUIUC
03-21-2015, 09:48 AM

EJ is fast and athletic, but he's a terrible runner. He really has no feel for it. IMO EJ's best case scenario is to be a guy like Big Ben who uses his strength and mobility to move around the pocket and buy time rather than a Cam Newton who's a threat to take off running. Taylor looks to be far better in that regard, if Roman is looking to bring the QB run plays with him from SFO.

better days
03-21-2015, 10:04 AM
i heard michael sam does a pretty mean if i were a rich man

I heard Michael Sam is a better dancer than singer.

better days
03-21-2015, 10:14 AM

And in his first PC, Rex said he wanted to see Manuel use his legs more.

I have no doubt Marrone told Manuel not to use his legs after the injury in the Browns game.

starrymessenger
03-21-2015, 04:06 PM
You are hearing what you want to hear. He forgot Taylors name for a couple seconds when he got to talking about him.
Short term memory loss. Wonder what Rex has been up to.
Pretty sure Taylor will see the field in certain packages. Based on what he was able to do in college, it's apparent he's a really good runner.
Unless he can read defenses and throw a football though there is no way he can be a starting caliber QB even in a run heavy scheme and on a QB starved team. After Fitz and EJ I'm fed up looking at QBs who, for different reasons, can't throw a football.
Not saying he can't do it. We just don't know whether he can or not (he's got only about 30 throws as a pro). Just saying that if he wants to start he needs to be able to do it. Otherwise you waste a lot of the weapons we have.

YardRat
03-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Yeah, I can't wait to see Taylor line up in a singleback three wide with two young stud receivers and $84mil worth of free agents rounding out the skill positions and tuck and run the ball.

BillsImpossible
03-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Short term memory loss. Wonder what Rex has been up to.
Pretty sure Taylor will see the field in certain packages. Based on what he was able to do in college, it's apparent he's a really good runner.
Unless he can read defenses and throw a football though there is no way he can be a starting caliber QB even in a run heavy scheme and on a QB starved team. After Fitz and EJ I'm fed up looking at QBs who, for different reasons, can't throw a football.
Not saying he can't do it. We just don't know whether he can or not (he's got only about 30 throws as a pro). Just saying that if he wants to start he needs to be able to do it. Otherwise you waste a lot of the weapons we have.

Good point about being able to read defenses.

In the past 4 years of his NFL career, Tyrod Taylor has practiced against some of the best defensive talent in the league as a Baltimore Raven.

Whatever kind of program Ozzie Newsome is running in Baltimore, it works.

If Taylor could not throw the ball, I don't think the Ravens would have kept him for 4 years.

Newsome would have replaced the backup position the second he thought Tryod Taylor was incapable of making throws, and that did not happen.

starrymessenger
03-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Good point about being able to read defenses.

In the past 4 years of his NFL career, Tyrod Taylor has practiced against some of the best defensive talent in the league as a Baltimore Raven.

Whatever kind of program Ozzie Newsome is running in Baltimore, it works.

If Taylor could not throw the ball, I don't think the Ravens would have kept him for 4 years.

Newsome would have replaced the backup position the second he thought Tryod Taylor was incapable of making throws, and that did not happen.

If as you say he has a good head on his shoulders and if he can throw as well as Mike Vick when in Atlanta (which is not asking a whole lot - in other words he doesn't need to be Peyton or Brady), then we might have something in Taylor.

Shady25
03-21-2015, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I can't wait to see Taylor line up in a singleback three wide with two young stud receivers and $84mil worth of free agents rounding out the skill positions and tuck and run the ball.

Shady lol'd.

BuffaloWingEater
03-21-2015, 08:12 PM
just watched some taylor tributes on youtube and jizzed my pants.

BertSquirtgum
03-21-2015, 08:16 PM
just watched some taylor tributes on youtube and jizzed my pants.

I'm ashamed for you.

SpikedLemonade
03-21-2015, 08:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY