PDA

View Full Version : Our offense isn't going to look like anything we've seen before

Skooby
03-20-2015, 09:41 PM
This is going to be a little hard to describe but I'll do my best. Imagine a constant shift in direction when the ball is hiked, it's going to be very fluid in many instances which will force our O-line to move in different directions, offsetting different defensive situations. We will literally be making adjustments on nearly every series depending on our success to look for weaknesses. Blocking from the surrounding players (Clay) & movement is going to be one of the main keys, which leads me to believe the Tyrod has an advantage going into camp. Tyrod is going to move very quickly and find seams of protection that won't easily be available. Pocket passing is going to be limited to relatively quick slants and still involve all non-hot receiver's blocking.

LeSean is going to be all alone on the edge on most plays for nearly an assured 5-6 yards, unless the defense loads the box then he'll break formation for short-screens just past the line. Then opposing defenses will defend the short game, leaving intermediate routes wide-open for Harvin / Watkins / Woods. I actually see us getting major time of possession advantages based on all the mismatches.

If the special teams play anywhere near like last season, our average field position to start should increase probably about 10 yards more or so, which will help the defense out big-time. I'd expect that with our talent on defense, we will have a field day with this. Things have changed folks, soon to proven on the field. Enjoy.

BertSquirtgum
03-20-2015, 09:46 PM
No

Skooby
03-20-2015, 09:57 PM
No

Typical trailer park answer, why did we go get all this speed to slow down ?

Strongman
03-20-2015, 09:58 PM
I think it's going to look a lot like this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/22-san-francisco-complex-offense-far-more-running-171041695--nfl.html

BertSquirtgum
03-20-2015, 10:05 PM
Typical trailer park answer, why did we go get all this speed to slow down ?

Typical overzealous prediction.....

Skooby
03-20-2015, 10:14 PM
Typical overzealous prediction.....

Yeah, McCoy is going to be our best back since Thurman and Clay will be our best TE for decades / Harvin is a monster and Watkins is incredibly gifted, yet we will remain near last on offense in the NFL. Good luck with that theory, it's way off base.

Topas
03-21-2015, 02:54 AM
I just hope that our O does not look like:
run for 2,
run for 2,
scramble for 2 or sack for -6 (depending on if the QB evades the first rusher)

better days
03-21-2015, 07:32 AM
I just hope that our O does not look like:
run for 2,
run for 2,
scramble for 2 or sack for -6 (depending on if the QB evades the first rusher)

One thing I can guarantee after listening to Rex & Roman, we will not be able to call the play before it is run like we could in the past, especially the last two years.

I posted before, a 6 year old boy could tell you what the play would be before they ran it when Marrone was HC.

Forward_Lateral
03-21-2015, 08:29 AM
If LeSean is on the edge for a guaranteed 5-6 yards EVERY SINGLE PLAY, I'll drive to your house and tongue your butthole.

better days
03-21-2015, 10:22 AM
If LeSean is on the edge for a guaranteed 5-6 yards EVERY SINGLE PLAY, I'll drive to your house and tongue your butthole.

Who said McCoy would be on the EDGE EVERY SINGLE PLAY?

cookie G
03-21-2015, 10:46 AM
Yeah, McCoy is going to be our best back since Thurman and Clay will be our best TE for decades / Harvin is a monster and Watkins is incredibly gifted, yet we will remain near last on offense in the NFL. Good luck with that theory, it's way off base.

More weaponry talk..it is becoming popular these days. There was a thread here yesterday, talking about the weaponry dispensing with the need for a decent QB. I saw elsewhere someone using the line.. "how are you going to cover everyone?".

Mmmhm..I'm a little more tempered in my enthusiasm.

Shades of 2009.

The Bills had just signed Lee Evans to a huge extension, when he was considered one of the best deep threats in the game;
Marshawn was coming off the first of his many Pro Bowl appearances;
FJ was showing himself to be a better RB than anyone realized;
We drafted a TE with 4.6 speed who looked to be a 4th round steal;
And joy of joys, we just signed TO, coming off 3 consecutive 1000+ yard, double digit TD seasons...and a far better WR than Percy Harvin has ever hoped to be;

And..the Bills were going to a high speed, no huddle offense.

"Trent has the weapons he needs now!"
"He doesn't have to be great, just chuck the ball in the general area of Lee and TO"
"Just think what Beastmode will do when Lee and TO are drawing off multiple defenders and creating all of this space?"

It worked out..um...well.

30th in the league in passing, 28th in the league in scoring.
TO sulking on the sideline;
Trent Edwards acquiring the nickname Captain Checkdown. But then, with all of these weapons, any QB could just chuck the ball in their general direction;
Beastmode fighting through 3 defenders in the backfield just to get back to the LOS;
2 talented rookies, Wood and Levitre, expected to do the job of 5 people on the OL. Taht was because, you know..with all of these weapons...basically anyone could block long enough to get Beastmode out of the backfield, or pass protect well enough for any QB to chuck the ball to Lee and TO.

Seen this before.

Let's hope it turns out a little better than 2009.

BertSquirtgum
03-21-2015, 09:09 PM
Who said McCoy would be on the EDGE EVERY SINGLE PLAY?

Skooby did.

LeSean is going to be all alone on the edge on most plays for nearly an assured 5-6 yards

OpIv37
03-21-2015, 11:29 PM
We didn't fix the OL so our O is going to look like the guy with the ball being flat on his back.

Buffalogic
03-22-2015, 01:08 AM
Our young linemen have to develop and contribute more effectively. It's our only hope to have a good offense.

YardRat
03-22-2015, 06:17 AM
Unless the oline and QB situation improve dramatically, the offense is going to look like the Lamborghini parked in the garage that doesn't go anywhere because we still can't find the keys.

Strongman
03-22-2015, 12:59 PM
Rex and Roman must be pretty confident that they can improve the OL by going with a man-blocking scheme instead of Marrone's zone-blocking fiasco. I'd still like to see them take a couple of OL in the draft though.

Here's an interesting read: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2402860-envisioning-the-new-look-buffalo-bills-offense-in-2015

swiper
03-22-2015, 01:42 PM
Maybe Bon Jovi should have bought the team, because a lot of you are living on a prayer.

swiper
03-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Rex and Roman must be pretty confident that they can improve the OL by going with a man-blocking scheme instead of Marrone's zone-blocking fiasco. I'd still like to see them take a couple of OL in the draft though.

Here's an interesting read: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2402860-envisioning-the-new-look-buffalo-bills-offense-in-2015

Gailey used a zone blocking scheme that made Wood and Levitre look like all-pros.

YardRat
03-22-2015, 01:57 PM
Kromer and Roman really don't have to do much to be heroes, I expect a decent leap in performance from the offense, regardless of what blocking scheme they run and who the QB is. The oline does seem a better fit for a gap-man, so hopefully it works out very well with who we have on the roster and whoever we add in the draft.

Skooby
03-22-2015, 03:18 PM
Gailey used a zone blocking scheme that made Wood and Levitre look like all-pros.

It's all part of the system and Marrone had no idea what he was doing, we hit 9-7 on talent with mediocre college coaching.

Mr. Pink
03-22-2015, 03:22 PM
It'll look a lot like it did under Gailey.

McCoy will be involved in the offense like Spiller was, actually more.

We'll have bum QBing which will somewhat negate all the weapons in the offense however Harvin or McCoy could turn a screen into a long TD to make up for the fact we won't throw the ball downfield.

Expect a top 5 rushing offense and a bottom 10 passing offense.

BertSquirtgum
03-22-2015, 04:01 PM
It'll look a lot like it did under Gailey.

McCoy will be involved in the offense like Spiller was, actually more.

We'll have bum QBing which will somewhat negate all the weapons in the offense however Harvin or McCoy could turn a screen into a long TD to make up for the fact we won't throw the ball downfield.

Expect a top 5 rushing offense and a bottom 10 passing offense.

I expect the Browns to be bottom 5 of everything.

swiper
03-22-2015, 04:54 PM
It's all part of the system and Marrone had no idea what he was doing, we hit 9-7 on talent with mediocre college coaching.

LOL. What did that same talent do the two seasons prior?

Strongman
03-22-2015, 04:54 PM

I have my reservations about just a change in scheme being a fix, but I do think Marrone was an idiot who tried to use bigger and less mobile lineman, in a scheme they weren't well suited for.

I still think they should draft a couple OL just in case plan A doesn't work.

Strongman
03-22-2015, 05:01 PM
Kromer and Roman really don't have to do much to be heroes, I expect a decent leap in performance from the offense, regardless of what blocking scheme they run and who the QB is. The oline does seem a better fit for a gap-man, so hopefully it works out very well with who we have on the roster and whoever we add in the draft.

Last year, we had the biggest OL in the NFL so maybe the idea has some merit.

Strongman
03-22-2015, 05:02 PM
LOL. What did that same talent do the two seasons prior?

It's a different OL since Marrone took over. Our OL is huge now.

swiper
03-22-2015, 05:16 PM
It's a different OL since Marrone took over. Our OL is huge now.

What? In 2012 it was Glenn-Levitre-Wood-Urbik-Pears

The only real difference is Pears out/Henderson in.

Strongman
03-22-2015, 05:31 PM
What? In 2012 it was Glenn-Levitre-Wood-Urbik-Pears

The only real difference is Pears out/Henderson in.

Richardson started a significant number of games and was in quite a bit. Urbik was also moved around. I think he was the RG in 2012? Pears moved from RT to RG. Glenn and Wood have been the only stable ones. Biggest change is probbably with our depth. They are bigger now than ever.

Strongman
03-22-2015, 05:50 PM
Interesting read on how Incognito could help:

http://tipofthetower.com/2015/02/09/richie-incognito-will-help-buffalo-bills/

SpikedLemonade
03-22-2015, 05:57 PM
Interesting read on how Incognito could help:

http://tipofthetower.com/2015/02/09/richie-incognito-will-help-buffalo-bills/

Nice, but don't hi-lites from 2012 (3 years ago) worry you?

Strongman
03-22-2015, 06:00 PM
Nice, but don't hi-lites from 2012 (3 years ago) worry you?

More than a little, but leaving Urbik in would worry me even more.

SpikedLemonade
03-22-2015, 06:08 PM
More than a little, but leaving Urbik in would worry me even more.

Of course.

Chris Williams would worry me as well.

The issue is whether the Bills can't do better than this.

Sign Wiz for $5M/yr. Move him or Wood to Guard. Draft a Guard in the 2nd and a RT in the 3rd. Cut Williams. Cut one of the 3 OL rookies from last year. Have Incognito as a back up if necessary. Have a true competition and the result should be at least an average OL to begin the season that should become above average by season's end.

The above is all easy to do and within the Bills control. No pipe dream.

Seems to me if you make that level of commitment to the OL, all that speed we have in the skill positions will not go to waste even with a crappy QB.

Strongman
03-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Of course.

Chris Williams would worry me as well.

The issue is whether the Bills can't do better than this.

Sign Wiz for $5M/yr. Move him or Wood to Guard. Draft a Guard in the 2nd and a RT in the 3rd. Cut Williams. Cut one of the 3 OL rookies from last year. Have Incognito as a back up if necessary. Have a true competition and the result should be at least an average OL to begin the season that should become above average by season's end.

The above is all easy to do and within the Bills control. No pipe dream.

Seems to me if you make that level of commitment to the OL, all that speed we have in the skill positions will not go to waste even with a crappy QB.

I have my concerns as well, but I'm trying to find some things to like about this. I'm all for drafting an OG in the 2nd round and another OL later. I wish they would try to sign Wis, but am getting discouraged about it ever becoming a reality.

SpikedLemonade
03-22-2015, 06:21 PM
I have my concerns as well, but I'm trying to find some things to like about this. I'm all for drafting an OG in the 2nd round and another OL later. I wish they would try to sign Wis, but am getting discouraged about it ever becoming a reality.

There hasn't even been a rumour that the Bills are interested in him which is strange.

Strongman
03-22-2015, 06:25 PM
There hasn't even been a rumour that the Bills are interested in him which is strange.

He's been tied to the Bucs and Bears the last I heard. Either the FO is playing it close to their chest or we aren't interested.

SpikedLemonade
03-22-2015, 06:29 PM
He's been tied to the Bucs and Bears the last I heard. Either the FO is playing it close to their chest or we aren't interested.

The difference between cutting Chris Williams and paying Wiz is less than $3M a year.

I wonder if the problem is that neither he or Eric Wood wants to shift over to Guard.

Strongman
03-22-2015, 07:09 PM
The difference between cutting Chris Williams and paying Wiz is less than $3M a year.

I wonder if the problem is that neither he or Eric Wood wants to shift over to Guard.

Either that or they're confident it can be addressed in the draft.

SpikedLemonade
03-22-2015, 07:15 PM
Either that or they're confident it can be addressed in the draft.

I guess, but starting one rookie on the OL is one thing but two is a huge risk.

swiper
03-23-2015, 10:54 AM
Richardson started a significant number of games and was in quite a bit. Urbik was also moved around. I think he was the RG in 2012? Pears moved from RT to RG. Glenn and Wood have been the only stable ones. Biggest change is probbably with our depth. They are bigger now than ever.

Richardson did not play that much on the o-line. Here is proof:

http://prod.static.bills.clubs.nfl.com/assets/pdf/pdf-bios/Richardson_Cyril.pdf