• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

DB's Bills Mock Draft v1.0

With the fast paced frenzy of Free Agency now subsiding it's time to reset the needs list and begin to look forward to the draft.

Based on our moves and scheme I'd say that we have the following needs:
    QB - 1
    OT - 1
    OG - 1
    OC - 1
    DE - 2
    NT - 1
    Jack LB - 1
    Sam LB - 1
    ILB - 1
    FS - 1
    SS - 1

Here are the picks I would make if the draft was tomorrow.
    Round 2 (50) - OG AJ Cann, South Carolina
    The Top OG is a perfect fit for this team. Our biggest hole is arguably OG (after QB).

Round 3 (81) - SS Jaquiski Tartt, Stanford
    Rex's scheme relies on an in the box SS who can run and hit. Tartt is the ideal fit who has some coverage ability as well.

Round 5 (147) - DE Ray Drew, UGA
    Drew finally began to make plays and be effective as a Senior for UGA. He's got size, athleticism, and would be an ideal depth addition who could develop into a starter down the road.

Round 6 (172) - OLB Shaquille Riddick, West Virginia
    Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush. Rex's scheme relies heavily on it and Riddick brings it in spades. He's quick off the edge and offers versatility in where he can line up.

Round 6 (178) - NT Ellis McCarthy, UCLA
    McCarthy never started at UCLA, but he's mammoth NT who was a top tier prep prospect who showed he could occupy space and blockers at UCLA. He needs to be motivated and I have a feeling Rex Ryan is the ideal coach for that.

Round 7 (209) - OT Doniel Gambrell, Notre Dame (OH)
    This is a sleeper pick, Gambrell was a D2football.com All-American and did a great job at the College Gridiron Showcase holding his own against a step up in talent. Gambrell is an athletic OT with long arms (82 inch wingspan). He'll need some work but he could be a nice steal after getting Henderson last year.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • scartown
    • Dec 2008

Re: DB's Bills Mock Draft v1.0

I would love for Preston Smith to be there at 50 but I doubt he makes it there. Oline is almost a must with one of the first two picks.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I like the needs list, and the positions covered with the picks...kinda along the lines of the one I've been tinkering with albeit different specific players taken in different spots. I swapped in a TE for your safety, but with the signing of Clay and the possibility of another FA in the next couple of weeks, it would make complete sense to eschew that position in favor somebody in the secondary.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by scartown View Post
        I would love for Preston Smith to be there at 50 but I doubt he makes it there. Oline is almost a must with one of the first two picks.
        Agreed, and I think the position they go will tell you how they see Cyrus moving forward.
        COMING SOON...

Comment

• The Jokeman
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
          With the fast paced frenzy of Free Agency now subsiding it's time to reset the needs list and begin to look forward to the draft.

Based on our moves and scheme I'd say that we have the following needs:
          QB - 1
          OT - 1
          OG - 1
          OC - 1
          DE - 2
          NT - 1
          Jack LB - 1
          Sam LB - 1
          ILB - 1
          FS - 1
          SS - 1

Here are the picks I would make if the draft was tomorrow.
          Round 2 (50) - OG AJ Cann, South Carolina
          The Top OG is a perfect fit for this team. Our biggest hole is arguably OG (after QB).

Round 3 (81) - SS Jaquiski Tartt, Stanford
          Rex's scheme relies on an in the box SS who can run and hit. Tartt is the ideal fit who has some coverage ability as well.

Round 5 (147) - DE Ray Drew, UGA
          Drew finally began to make plays and be effective as a Senior for UGA. He's got size, athleticism, and would be an ideal depth addition who could develop into a starter down the road.

Round 6 (172) - OLB Shaquille Riddick, West Virginia
          Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush. Rex's scheme relies heavily on it and Riddick brings it in spades. He's quick off the edge and offers versatility in where he can line up.

Round 6 (178) - NT Ellis McCarthy, UCLA
          McCarthy never started at UCLA, but he's mammoth NT who was a top tier prep prospect who showed he could occupy space and blockers at UCLA. He needs to be motivated and I have a feeling Rex Ryan is the ideal coach for that.

Round 7 (209) - OT Doniel Gambrell, Notre Dame (OH)
          This is a sleeper pick, Gambrell was a D2football.com All-American and did a great job at the College Gridiron Showcase holding his own against a step up in talent. Gambrell is an athletic OT with long arms (82 inch wingspan). He'll need some work but he could be a nice steal after getting Henderson last year.
          Cann is ideal but I just don't see him lasting to pick 50. I agree he fits a need and the perfect fit for the offense. I think he ends up going much higher. Drew is another guy on my radar that I like. McCarthy's got the size to be NT but does he have the discipline/drive to be more than just a big body? We can hope but not sure. I think you did a good job finding players we could use but not sure we go so strong on defense.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

I'm still hoping Cam Erving drops to us at 50, but he's been climbing the big boards since the end of the season so it's highly unlikely.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

Good job.

Don't you think Aaron Williams is the SS ? He relishes coming up and making tackles near the LOS and plays well with everything in front of him. I'm thinking one of our other Safeties already here could be the FS. ( Rambo, Duke Williams, Meeks, Ladler ).

Guard or OT in Round 2 makes complete sense. I'm thinking G or OT in Round 3 also. Even a Center in addition on Saturday. ( Finney of K-State, Garcia of Florida, Mason of Georgia Tech )
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                Guard or OT in Round 2 makes complete sense. I'm thinking G or OT in Round 3 also. Even a Center in addition on Saturday. ( Finney of K-State, Garcia of Florida, Mason of Georgia Tech )
                Exactly!!!

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Good job.

Don't you think Aaron Williams is the SS ? He relishes coming up and making tackles near the LOS and plays well with everything in front of him. I'm thinking one of our other Safeties already here could be the FS. ( Rambo, Duke Williams, Meeks, Ladler ).

My most recent version has OT Humphries from Florida in the second, then jumping on C Finney in the third.

What the hell, can't wait forever. At the rate things are changing it'll have to undergo a complete re-do by next weekend anyway...Red=roster, green=practice squad, parenthesis=current IR, stars=current PS. The 2015 off season should consist of three specific goals-Hire a new Head Coach complete with new offensive staff,
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Good job.

I sure hope not. Williams may relish making the tackles, but he's not really good at it. He takes poor angles, gets lost in traffic, and isn't really a hitter.

I think the focus of the draft is going to be defensive, the majority of the moves for the Bills thus far have been offensive. I think you address the OL in Round 2, and short of taking a QB in Round 3 or 4, the Bills will focus defensively.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                    My most recent version has OT Humphries from Florida in the second, then jumping on C Finney in the third.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...1-0?highlight=
                    Wouldn't be opposed to that, if that means they have faith Cyrus can move inside and develop into something.
                    COMING SOON...

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                      I sure hope not. Williams may relish making the tackles, but he's not really good at it. He takes poor angles, gets lost in traffic, and isn't really a hitter.

I think the focus of the draft is going to be defensive, the majority of the moves for the Bills thus far have been offensive. I think you address the OL in Round 2, and short of taking a QB in Round 3 or 4, the Bills will focus defensively.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't be opposed to that, if that means they have faith Cyrus can move inside and develop into something.
                      I think we nab a TE somewhere in Rounds 5-7. As I can't see us with the current three Clay, Gray and Gragg as a final 53 group. Maybe a guy like Nick Boyle will warrant a pick.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                        I think we nab a TE somewhere in Rounds 5-7. As I can't see us with the current three Clay, Gray and Gragg as a final 53 group. Maybe a guy like Nick Boyle will warrant a pick.
                        I could see the argument if you're looking for a blocker to add to the group.
                        COMING SOON...

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                          • Jun 2024

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post

Sure why not but we better not waste a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a TE this year.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                            Sure why not but we better not waste a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a TE this year.
                            I think the Clay signing limits that possibility quite a bit.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                              • Jun 2024

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                              I think the Clay signing limits that possibility quite a bit.
                              I agree but it makes me sick to read posts over the past number of years from posters wanting move TEs when we did not have a QB or system that could use one.

They think an elite TE from another team would still be elite if he was on the Bills current offense.

I would like out 2nd and 3rd round picks to both be used on the OL, but I would understand if one of those picks was used on the DL.

Whaley seems to be able to identify LB talent well so I hope he waits until later in the draft to get a LB.

As to Safety, let's see if we can pick up a cheap FA rather than another rookie who will contribute nothing in that position this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X