PDA

View Full Version : 50 Rushes/Game

Yasgur's Farm
03-22-2015, 02:10 PM
A lot's been made of Rex's we're gonna try to rush the ball 50 times/game statement...

Let's get a grip on this thing shall we?

Top 3 NFL rush attempts in a season...
1- 1977 - Raiders 681 = 48.6/game (14 game season)
2- 1984 - Bears 674 = 42.1/game (16 game season)
3- 1978 - Patriots 671 = 41.9/game (16 game season)
http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/team/rushing

BertSquirtgum
03-22-2015, 02:14 PM
That would be idiotic.

YardRat
03-22-2015, 02:18 PM
The Jets averaged 31.8 per the last three seasons under Rex, SanFran 30.6, so right around 30-35 should be the expectation.

SpikedLemonade
03-22-2015, 02:53 PM
Still puzzled how they think they can run successfully behind this OL.

There is still time to make changes I guess.

Night Train
03-22-2015, 02:55 PM
Who thought with Woods, Watkins, Harvin, Hogan, Clay and McCoy/Fred catching swing passes we were going to rush the ball 50 times a game ????

YardRat
03-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Who thought with Woods, Watkins, Harvin, Hogan, Clay and McCoy/Fred catching swing passes we were going to rush the ball 50 times a game ????

Sexy Rexy.

Skooby
03-22-2015, 03:10 PM
I think the offensive schemes will change nearly every game. I'd also expect that every opponent will prepare for a very talented guy to get the ball with blocking in place, they won't be all RB runs.

better days
03-22-2015, 03:13 PM
Rex said IDEALLY, they would like to run the ball 50 times a game, but he KNOWS that will not be possible.

BertSquirtgum
03-22-2015, 03:43 PM
I hope Rexasaurus fell off his chair laughing after he told whoever it was that reported that. He can't be serious with all the money the Bills spent on passing weapons.

Mace
03-22-2015, 08:42 PM
I hope Rexasaurus fell off his chair laughing after he told whoever it was that reported that. He can't be serious with all the money the Bills spent on passing weapons.

They're still not going to have a good QB slinging to them though if the running game doesn't set up the pass.

If anyone saw that ridiculous Jets/Dolphins game it's going to bother them. Dolphins kept stacking the box, Jets kept running, play after play, it got sad. Thought was that Ryan was trying to spite Idzik, but you don't really want your coach playing a game to spite his organization. Wasn't hard to see Idzik dorked things up, but Ryan doing that was unsettling.

He just might mean to run 50 attempts per game and has an ego big enough to not care it isn't working or he means to prove a point to someone in the FO.

I keep reading Kelly wasn't sold on Shady because he bounces outside too much, this is too familiar regarding Spiller, who was younger, faster, cheaper and bounced outside too much with less line than the Eagles have.

Oh well. I guess I'm resigned to finding out if it works and great if it does. If it doesn't well, by now, whatever.

Btw, they had Percy Harvin running around out there, 1 catch for 6 yards.

BertSquirtgum
03-22-2015, 08:58 PM
They're still not going to have a good QB slinging to them though if the running game doesn't set up the pass.

If anyone saw that ridiculous Jets/Dolphins game it's going to bother them. Dolphins kept stacking the box, Jets kept running, play after play, it got sad. Thought was that Ryan was trying to spite Idzik, but you don't really want your coach playing a game to spite his organization. Wasn't hard to see Idzik dorked things up, but Ryan doing that was unsettling.

He just might mean to run 50 attempts per game and has an ego big enough to not care it isn't working or he means to prove a point to someone in the FO.

I keep reading Kelly wasn't sold on Shady because he bounces outside too much, this is too familiar regarding Spiller, who was younger, faster, cheaper and bounced outside too much with less line than the Eagles have.

Oh well. I guess I'm resigned to finding out if it works and great if it does. If it doesn't well, by now, whatever.

Btw, they had Percy Harvin running around out there, 1 catch for 6 yards.

If EJ never comes out of his shell. Matt Cassel is more than capable of getting the ball to the offensive weapons provided.

Strongman
03-22-2015, 09:00 PM
I only read about him saying it, but didn't hear it. Did he mean it literally or figuratively as in they were going to run a lot?

IlluminatusUIUC
03-22-2015, 09:01 PM
It's called "hyperbole."

better days
03-22-2015, 10:12 PM
It's called "hyperbole."

Now you did it.

Now YOU have to explain hyperbole to some of the morons on this board.

CleveSteve
03-23-2015, 07:54 AM
Now you did it.

Now YOU have to explain hyperbole to some of the morons on this board.

It's the game the Super Bowl champion plays against the champion of the Alpha Centauri Football League.

You don't know that, you don't know football.

Mace
03-23-2015, 07:28 PM
If EJ never comes out of his shell. Matt Cassel is more than capable of getting the ball to the offensive weapons provided.

I'm honestly way more comfortable with Cassel being what the doctor ordered for this offense, though I enjoyed Orton's need to sling, despite his being Orton.

Probably though, the point is that Manuel doesn't need come too far out of his shell. I was pleased at getting Cassel.

I'm still thinking though as per that Dolphins/Jets game you don't just keep running over and over for the sake of it. Like I said, Harvin was the same offensive weapon and they tried to throw to him 3 times all game with Miami stuffing the box so he ended up 1 for 6. He ran 6 for 27.

It's kind of notably peculiar. Doesn't matter who the QB is if you don't let him throw it once in a while at a Harvin.