PDA

View Full Version : Bills to talk extension with Bradham this week

Ed
03-23-2015, 12:32 PM
According to Mike Rodak of ESPN, the Bills are planning to begin negotiations on a contract extension for Bradham this week:

@mikerodak: Bills expected to talk contract extension for Nigel Bradham this week, per sources. Negotiator Jim Overdorf and agent Drew Rosenhaus in town
https://twitter.com/mikerodak

I like Bradham a lot. I hope they get this done.

YardRat
03-23-2015, 12:39 PM
Nice.

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-23-2015, 01:02 PM
but but but.... we will never be able to resign bradham, gilmore, glenn and dareus. we are all cap experts. this is what i've learned over the last 2 weeks or so.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-23-2015, 01:17 PM
but but but.... we will never be able to resign bradham, gilmore, glenn and dareus. we are all cap experts. this is what i've learned over the last 2 weeks or so.

He hasn't signed yet, and neither have any of the other three.

DraftBoy
03-23-2015, 01:35 PM
I'd rather start with Dareus, but Bradham has to get done.

My only worry is that he wasn't good in a 34 last time, extending him now seems a little odd but if he continues to get better it probably saves some money.

jimmifli
03-23-2015, 01:49 PM

My only worry is that he wasn't good in a 34 last time, extending him now seems a little odd but if he continues to get better it probably saves some money.
People keep saying that.

He was better than Kiko over the last 5 or 6 games. He made plays whenever the coaches put him on the field, and eventually earned a "starter" role.

Jry44
03-23-2015, 03:22 PM
He hasn't signed yet, and neither have any of the other three.

You can't sign unless you talk first though, right? Or does cap geek neglect to explain this to people before they send them into salary cap panic?

gr8slayer
03-23-2015, 03:27 PM

Totally different type of 3-4 though, I think he'll do fine in an attacking scheme, which is what we'll be running going forward under Rex.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-23-2015, 03:31 PM
You can't sign unless you talk first though, right? Or does cap geek neglect to explain this to people before they send them into salary cap panic?

Of course you need to talk first. But end zone dancing about signing our four big fas when we just barely started talking to them is premature.

YardRat
03-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Totally different type of 3-4 though, I think he'll do fine in an attacking scheme, which is what we'll be running going forward under Rex.

The differences are minor, Pettine's schemes are/were considered aggressive. attacking and pressure based. The biggest difference is Rex's tendency to replace a LBer with another dback.

Jry44
03-23-2015, 03:39 PM
Of course you need to talk first. But end zone dancing about signing our four big fas when we just barely started talking to them is premature.

I don't think anyone is dancing. In fact, Vic Carucci just shot this down, which is why i don't follow mike rodak. However i don't think everyone is pessimistic about extending these guys.

feldspar
03-23-2015, 04:41 PM

It's NOT EVEN a 3-4, though. People keep repeating that, and it's something that bothers me for some reason. A 3-4 is only one of the MANY packages and looks this defense will employ. I guess people need to put a convenient label on it, truth be damned.

YardRat
03-23-2015, 04:58 PM
It's NOT EVEN a 3-4, though. People keep repeating that, and it's something that bothers me for some reason. A 3-4 is only one of the MANY packages and looks this defense will employ. I guess people need to put a convenient label on it, truth be damned.

I don't think anybody has claimed that either Pettine or Ryan run a conventional 34, but to deny that both of them build from a 34 base is ignoring the truth.

swiper
03-23-2015, 05:18 PM
The differences are minor, Pettine's schemes are/were considered aggressive. attacking and pressure based. The biggest difference is Rex's tendency to replace a LBer with another dback.

You will find that 2014 Bradham was a product of the Schwartz defense. You'll see he won't be as good this season. And you will see Manny Lawson rise back from the dust.

Ingtar33
03-23-2015, 05:33 PM

Have you watched this team at all in the past 15 years?

cause you're talking like the bills showing glimmers of competence has been the norm ~forever~

YardRat
03-23-2015, 05:41 PM
You will find that 2014 Bradham was a product of the Schwartz defense. You'll see he won't be as good this season. And you will see Manny Lawson rise back from the dust.

Could be...Manny rising back from the dust' means putting your 96mil dollar man or 9mil per year man on the bench, though...he isn't going to play inside.

4 years, $21mil puts Bradham at about 31-32 overall amongst LBers as it stands right now, BTW.

Night Train
03-23-2015, 06:17 PM

Dareus' crazy market was already blown out of the water last year when Gerald McCoy of Tampa got 96 Mil. Suh just made it worse. No point in rushing now. We all know how good he is but let him show another year of behaving himself/good health before making a 9 figure blunder. The tag is always there.

It's not a question of priority. He's the best player on the team.

Bradham is one of those signings you do now, coming off a year he showed he could be a solid starter. Get him before he costs much more.

DraftBoy
03-23-2015, 06:31 PM
People keep saying that.

He was better than Kiko over the last 5 or 6 games. He made plays whenever the coaches put him on the field, and eventually earned a "starter" role.

So as a veteran he eventually played better than a rookie and eventually earned the starter role? That's not exactly high praise.

Mace
03-23-2015, 08:21 PM
I don't think anybody has claimed that either Pettine or Ryan run a conventional 34, but to deny that both of them build from a 34 base is ignoring the truth.

Well, it's a base 3-4 in that it's how people line up in being a 4-3 under and not being either at the snap.

But with their cash situation and Bradham not doing real well under Pettine in a similar defense, I don't know why they're extending him now.

Mace
03-23-2015, 08:33 PM
People keep saying that.

Honestly, he had a different role from Kiko, who called the signals and was their every down guy. I'm never really understanding why people are complaining about Alonso going through his rookie year coming out of college as a problem child "maybe", as the signal caller and every down guy. He wore down. It happens to rookies. He still put in a Kuechly year and no one is talking down Kuechly (1st round pick 9) compared to 2nd round pick 46. Bradham was just simply in there for a ridiculous amount of less snaps, like 864 less snaps, so....

Bradham played 20 plays a game to Alonso's 71. No Bill played more snaps in 2013 than Alonso.

jimmifli
03-23-2015, 08:51 PM
So as a veteran he eventually played better than a rookie and eventually earned the starter role? That's not exactly high praise.

Not everyone gets the same opportunity. Kiko was slotted to start on day 1 in camp and lived up to it.

Bradham was a 4th round pick that got limited playing time. When he saw the field he made plays.

Mace
03-23-2015, 08:54 PM
Not everyone gets the same opportunity. Kiko was slotted to start on day 1 in camp and lived up to it.

Bradham was a 4th round pick that got limited playing time. When he saw the field he made plays.

Sure hope he keeps doing it. I don't not like him.

jimmifli
03-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Honestly, he had a different role from Kiko, who called the signals and was their every down guy. I'm never really understanding why people are complaining about Alonso going through his rookie year coming out of college as a problem child "maybe", as the signal caller and every down guy. He wore down. It happens to rookies. He still put in a Kuechly year and no one is talking down Kuechly (1st round pick 9) compared to 2nd round pick 46. Bradham was just simply in there for a ridiculous amount of less snaps, like 864 less snaps, so....

Bradham played 20 plays a game to Alonso's 71. No Bill played more snaps in 2013 than Alonso.
I wasn't saying it to denigrate Kiko. I forgot now that he's no longer a Bill.... he wasn't that good anyways. I'm with you. Kiko is pretty great, and he was awesome his rookie year. I was just pointing out that when Bradham finally saw the field he was out performing Kiko. He's more than just a Gym Shorts creation, he's been playing well for a while and don't see that regressing under Rex.

feldspar
03-24-2015, 09:57 PM

Too much talk of that for my taste, regardless.

You'd think that a "defensive mastermind" wouldn't have to be so rigid and will be more flexible in his schemes, based on the Bills' decent personnel on that side of the ball...three Pro Bowlers on that line, two of whom made All-Pro. The 4th one (Hughes) is not too shabby, either. You gotta figure that the players on defense are pretty much set considering the cap-room the Bills have and their remaining needs (offensive line). I expect just a few tweaks there on defense, such as Spikes or no Spikes.

Next time I have to hear somebody say "We're not going to try to fit a square peg in a round hole," it will be too soon. But you have to play to the strengths of what you have, and that's just obvious. Rex did not really build this defense whatsoever as far as personnel goes, so it will be interesting to see what he does with the full plate they gave him. He should be able to create ANY schemes to maximize potential if his reputation is worth half its salt.

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-25-2015, 05:08 AM

cause you're talking like the bills showing glimmers of competence has been the norm ~forever~

you do remember the Pegulas are now the owners unlike the last 15 years, right?

DraftBoy
03-25-2015, 05:37 AM

He did? Interesting...

Bradham was a multi-year veteran when Kiko was drafted who lost his starting spot. His draft position has no relevance.

Dr. Lecter
03-25-2015, 06:16 AM
He did? Interesting...

Bradham was a multi-year veteran when Kiko was drafted who lost his starting spot. His draft position has no relevance.

Bradham was drafted in 2012

Alonso in 2013.

When did 1 year become "multi-year" veteran?

DraftBoy
03-25-2015, 06:49 AM
Bradham was drafted in 2012

Alonso in 2013.

Was it only in 2012? I thought it was 2011. My mistake.

better days
03-25-2015, 08:12 AM

Well, the pessimists are talking as if things have not changed at all in regards to how the team is NOW being run.

It is NOT being run today the way it was 15 years ago.

better days
03-25-2015, 08:16 AM
Too much talk of that for my taste, regardless.

You'd think that a "defensive mastermind" wouldn't have to be so rigid and will be more flexible in his schemes, based on the Bills' decent personnel on that side of the ball...three Pro Bowlers on that line, two of whom made All-Pro. The 4th one (Hughes) is not too shabby, either. You gotta figure that the players on defense are pretty much set considering the cap-room the Bills have and their remaining needs (offensive line). I expect just a few tweaks there on defense, such as Spikes or no Spikes.

Next time I have to hear somebody say "We're not going to try to fit a square peg in a round hole," it will be too soon. But you have to play to the strengths of what you have, and that's just obvious. Rex did not really build this defense whatsoever as far as personnel goes, so it will be interesting to see what he does with the full plate they gave him. He should be able to create ANY schemes to maximize potential if his reputation is worth half its salt.

I doubt Rex had any role in building the Ravens defense as far as personnel goes either.

He did pretty good on the Ravens with what was handed to him.

jimmifli
03-25-2015, 08:58 AM
When did being correct become a requirement for being smarmy?

ghz in pittsburgh
03-25-2015, 09:41 AM
The truth as they leaked out was that the Eagles would take either Kiko or Woods. The Bills gave them Kiko.

I wonder if the Bills may view it differently had they had Harvin when they have to make that decision.

elroy16
03-25-2015, 04:08 PM
The truth as they leaked out was that the Eagles would take either Kiko or Woods. The Bills gave them Kiko.

I wonder if the Bills may view it differently had they had Harvin when they have to make that decision.

That's an interesting question. I imagine they'd still have shipped Kiko to the eagles, but obviously could be wrong. IMO, WR's can put up TD's while LB's aren't. Sure LB's can rack up 100 tackles and put up some other nice plays, but TD's are what win games. Considering their knack for finding LB's and the weak WR corp (at the time), the decision seems pretty logical.

Here's a good write up on Bradham.

http://billsmafia.com/2015/03/25/breaking-down-how-buffalo-bills-lb-nigel-bradham-fits-in-rex-ryans-defense/

I'm glad they're looking to extend Bradham.

better days
03-26-2015, 08:05 AM
Joe Buscaglia said Bradham has improved & they expect him to continue to improve.

They think Bradham can be one of the best LB's in the NFL.

That could be why they traded Kiko instead of Woods.

tomz
03-26-2015, 11:07 AM
Going into last year pff had bradham listed as the under the radar guy for the Bills who would break out in the 2014 season based on statistical analysis of his play in 2013, especially late 2013. His play in 14 reflected this analysis.

- - - Updated - - -

Going into last year pff had bradham listed as the under the radar guy for the Bills who would break out in the 2014 season based on statistical analysis of his play in 2013, especially late 2013. His play in 14 reflected this analysis.

DraftBoy
03-26-2015, 11:38 AM
When did being correct become a requirement for being smarmy?

Very true.