PDA

View Full Version : Bills currently $5.28mil under cap

YardRat
03-23-2015, 06:38 PM
Per Carucci on twitter

https://twitter.com/viccarucci

Also says Browns are front-runners for Hard Knocks on HBO.

Mace
03-23-2015, 07:37 PM
Per Carucci on twitter

https://twitter.com/viccarucci

Also says Browns are front-runners for Hard Knocks on HBO.

That's pretty lean, is 3.something to sign picks I think ? They can blow off hard knocks anyway for the coaching change I believe but it almost seems like something Rex would cultivate. I'd rather see Cleveland on it.

YardRat
03-23-2015, 07:41 PM
Yeah, it's getting lean...I think the rookie allocation will be less than that without a first-rounder to pay.

Mace
03-23-2015, 07:53 PM
Yeah, it's getting lean...I think the rookie allocation will be less than that without a first-rounder to pay.

I think without the 1st, they had 4.8 rookie pool.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2015/3/19/8254541/buffalo-bills-2016-salary-cap-space-projection

Mace
03-23-2015, 07:55 PM
3.3 by this which is more what I thought :

http://www.spotrac.com/research/NFL/projected-cap-space-for-all-2015-nfl-teams-502/

Mouldsie
03-23-2015, 11:01 PM
That escalated quickly

X-Era
03-23-2015, 11:10 PM
Urbik is a cut candidate if they make a move for another player. Especially at G. Mario could free up huge space withy restructuring. I think they may do that when it's time to resign Dareus

feldspar
03-23-2015, 11:25 PM
Yeah, but the Bills have 71 players on their roster right now by my count. More than 18 of those guys will be gone at some point. I'm no cap expert, but I can't see how this won't play in to free up money.

Topas
03-24-2015, 02:15 AM
5 million. That's awesome news !!!
Usually at that point of time we have been 25 million under the cap ...
Thanks Tim (Terry and Kim)

GingerP
03-24-2015, 04:58 AM
Yeah, but the Bills have 71 players on their roster right now by my count. More than 18 of those guys will be gone at some point. I'm no cap expert, but I can't see how this won't play in to free up money.

It doesn't work that way. In the offseason, only the top 51 base salaries count toward the cap. Because many of the extra roster guys are minimum or near-minimum player, they have no cap impact this time of year and cutting them would not save any space.

You have to take that into account when a player is released as well. For instance, Cutting Urbik would save $500K on the cap this year ($2.2M cap - $1.7M remaining SB proration), but he would be replaced in the Top-51 by the current 52nd salary. Since that salary is $510K, that means they lose $10K in cap room. If they designate him a post-June 1 cut, it would spread his amortization over the next 2 years at $850K each, but the savings would only be $840K this year ($2.2M - $850K proration - $510K replacement salary in Top-51), while leaving $850K to be charged off in 2016.

Of course the same is true if they sign someone. Since their base salary, if in the Top-51, would replace someone else at $510K, their cap number will be offset by that amount. So signing Percy Harvin meant a $4M cap number in 2015, but the cap impact was actually $3.49M, since his salary was offset by a $510K base being pushed out of the Top-51.

Only after final cuts after preseason do all player's salaries have to be accounted for on the cap.

Night Train
03-24-2015, 05:33 AM
5 million. That's awesome news !!!
Usually at that point of time we have been 25 million under the cap ...
Thanks Tim (Terry and Kim)

Precisely. Felton would have been our only signing.

elltrain22
03-24-2015, 06:19 AM
If we were to trade or try to sign (if they are cut) Evan Mathis or Jahari Evans, do we have the cap space to sign these guys? Thanks

EDS
03-24-2015, 07:11 AM
If we were to trade or try to sign (if they are cut) Evan Mathis or Jahari Evans, do we have the cap space to sign these guys? Thanks

Yes but they would need to restructure a few contracts prior to the draft to have sufficient funds available for the rookies.

X-Era
03-24-2015, 08:59 AM
Yes but they would need to restructure a few contracts prior to the draft to have sufficient funds available for the rookies.I don't know that they have to show money for the rookie pool until its draft time

Ed
03-24-2015, 09:06 AM
I don't think Urbik is as much of a cut candidate anymore since he already took a $1.5 mil/yr pay cut and they already paid him a roster bonus.

I'm assuming the rookie pool is only going to be about $3.5 mil unless they make some significant trades. I don't think they need cap space for rookies until they actually sign them to contracts, so maybe they could also wait until they make some post June 1 cuts to free up money for rookies if they want to make some more free agent signings before then.

SpikedLemonade
03-24-2015, 09:27 AM
Cutting Chris Williams and replacing him with a $5M/yr OL is less than a $3M cap hit this year.

stuckincincy
03-24-2015, 11:43 AM
I don't think Urbik is as much of a cut candidate anymore since he already took a $1.5 mil/yr pay cut and they already paid him a roster bonus.

I'm assuming the rookie pool is only going to be about $3.5 mil unless they make some significant trades. I don't think they need cap space for rookies until they actually sign them to contracts, so maybe they could also wait until they make some post June 1 cuts to free up money for rookies if they want to make some more free agent signings before then.

They better keep an eye on their cap if they sign more FAs - gotta hold some in reserve for in-season injury replacements.

Ed
03-24-2015, 11:48 AM
They better keep an eye on their cap if they sign more FAs - gotta hold some in reserve for in-season injury replacements.
They usually like to keep 2-3 mil for that, but they might gain that just from training camp cuts.

stuckincincy
03-24-2015, 11:56 AM
They usually like to keep 2-3 mil for that, but they might gain that just from training camp cuts.

True - but I get the feeling that they are itching to spend more loot for FAs come June 1. It's certainly been an interesting off-season. :drive:

GreedoII
03-24-2015, 01:29 PM
restructure someone to create room. Watt just did. Not hard to create space people..Cap jail is a fasad

stuckincincy
03-24-2015, 02:37 PM
restructure someone to create room. Watt just did. Not hard to create space people..Cap jail is a fasad

What's a fasad? A fad? A sad Farad?

Meathead
03-24-2015, 03:43 PM
did he just say what i think he fasad?

YardRat
03-24-2015, 03:50 PM
Considering the rookie allowance and and a few million for in-season signings when necessary, they are basically up against it as we speak.

Ed
03-24-2015, 03:54 PM
Mike Rodak said that according to NFLPA records the Bills have $7.459 mil left in cap space as of today.

X-Era
03-24-2015, 04:17 PM
Considering the rookie allowance and and a few million for in-season signings when necessary, they are basically up against it as we speak.I consider us significant spenders this year. I really didn't think we'd resign Hughes. But landing McCoy and signing him, signing Harvin, and the also signing Clay is really impressive in my mind.

GingerP
03-24-2015, 05:37 PM
Vic Carucci says the Bills are looking to extend Cassel's contract to make it "cap friendlier"

https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/580505323871551488

GingerP
03-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Vic also had this one:

Whaley on being $5.28 million under cap: "We're tapped out. At pt now where we've got to save for the draft choices & injury replacements."

https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/580446786889871362

SpikedLemonade
03-24-2015, 05:43 PM
So no Spikes.

No FA OL.

Crap!!!

GingerP
03-24-2015, 05:52 PM
So no Spikes.

No FA OL.

Crap!!!

Hard to imagine Spikes gets much more than the minimum. He is a run-down LB who isn't a core ST'er. Guys like that don't get paid much. Guys like that get short deals with little money beyond a minimum salary. The Bears just signed Mason Foster, who is a player who plays that role, so the market is set.

Yasgur's Farm
03-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Mike Rodak said that according to NFLPA records the Bills have $7.459 mil left in cap space as of today.Sounds about right... Subtract the draft alotment and we're looking at $5.28M.

Mace
03-24-2015, 06:21 PM
So no Spikes.

No FA OL.

Crap!!!

Well no, I'm available to play some guard, cheap. I know how to fall down to make people slow down and stumble or snag their cleats with my facemask as they trample me. As usual OBD will not not reply to my "agent" (which is myself using a different name and voice). I cannot contact them directly because of all the restraining orders.

I mentioned this to Rex one day when he manifested in my home to bring tidings of good cheer and a bag of cheetos with a jolly guffaw, Rex has a tendency of doing that....and he said "I see your lips moving but I can't hear you talking ! (haw haw)", gave me a hearty slap on the shoulder and some McDonalds coupons, then was off again.

But believe you me, I'm available and cheap, sailor.

Yasgur's Farm
03-24-2015, 06:26 PM
Well no, I'm available to play some guard, cheap. I know how to fall down to make people slow down and stumble or snag their cleats with my facemask as they trample me. As usual OBD will not not reply to my "agent" (which is myself using a different name and voice). I cannot contact them directly because of all the restraining orders.

I mentioned this to Rex one day when he manifested in my home to bring tidings of good cheer and a bag of cheetos with a jolly guffaw, Rex has a tendency of doing that....and he said "I see your lips moving but I can't hear you talking ! (haw haw)", gave me a hearty slap on the shoulder and some McDonalds coupons, then was off again.

But believe you me, I'm available and cheap, sailor.You have a problem my friend!

Mace
03-24-2015, 06:30 PM
You have a problem my friend!

More than just one unfortunately. Now I have a sore throat from using my different voice to pretend I was my agent.

stuckincincy
03-24-2015, 06:46 PM
More than just one unfortunately. Now I have a sore throat from using my different voice to pretend I was my agent.

May I recommend cheap beer? It's been my salvation for decades.

Mace
03-24-2015, 07:04 PM
May I recommend cheap beer? It's been my salvation for decades.

I sure keep trying it.

feldspar
03-24-2015, 07:27 PM
You have a problem my friend!

Yeah, well Rex never should have manifested himself in Mace's home.

Uncalled for...

YardRat
03-24-2015, 07:50 PM
I consider us significant spenders this year. I really didn't think we'd resign Hughes. But landing McCoy and signing him, signing Harvin, and the also signing Clay is really impressive in my mind.

Significant spenders, yes...impressive, probably...the best off-season plan, I have my doubts.

Mace
03-24-2015, 08:09 PM
Yeah, well Rex never should have manifested himself in Mace's home.

Uncalled for...

Matter of time before he manifests in yours with a jolly chuckle, some treats and encouragement. That's just Rex !

It would have been better if it was Nichole Scherzinger with some treats, but no helping it.

Mouldsie
03-24-2015, 09:29 PM
I'm worried this will bite us in the ass

Mace
03-24-2015, 09:41 PM
I'm worried this will bite us in the ass

Yeah me too, but hey. We made our bed, may as well see if we can sleep in it.

Meathead
03-25-2015, 03:47 AM
But believe you me, I'm available and cheap, sailor.

what are you doing saturday?