PDA

View Full Version : Not going to remember his name until he remembers how to hold onto the football ~Rex

jimmifli
03-24-2015, 09:28 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Ryan says he&#39;s not &quot;going to remember the name of&quot; RB Bryce Brown &quot;until he learns to remember how to hold onto the football.&quot;</p>&mdash; Vic Carucci (@viccarucci) <a href="https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/580379661198180353">March 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ryan says he's not "going to remember the name of" RB Bryce Brown "until he learns to remember how to hold onto the football."

http://i.imgur.com/brubalL.gif

IlluminatusUIUC
03-24-2015, 09:38 AM
"learns to remember"

A scholar and a gentlemen, this one. lol

SpikedLemonade
03-24-2015, 09:46 AM
I guess Bryce is on the bubble.

Joe Fo Sho
03-24-2015, 09:47 AM
"learns to remember"

Well he knows how to hold on to the football, he just doesn't know how to remember to hold on to the ball. He has to learn how to remember, and he has to remember how he learned to remember during the game. If he doesn't remember that he learned how to remember, it's pointless. I guess he should really start by learning how to remember that he learned to remember how to hold on to the football.

better days
03-24-2015, 09:57 AM
Well he knows how to hold on to the football, he just doesn't know how to remember to hold on to the ball. He has to learn how to remember, and he has to remember how he learned to remember during the game. If he doesn't remember that he learned how to remember, it's pointless. I guess he should really start by learning how to remember that he learned to remember how to hold on to the football.

Jerry Rice admitted to using stickem on his gloves.

Maybe we can duct tape the ball to Browns hands.

Joe Fo Sho
03-24-2015, 10:00 AM

I guess he'd have to learn to remember the duct tape first.

Bunion
03-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Run-heavy Coach with a run-heavy OC tells tailback that he doesn't have a future if he fumbles away TDs with nothing but green grass between him and paydirt. If Bryce needed help putting that one together he's in more trouble than he knows.

YardRat
03-24-2015, 11:20 AM
Funny how it went from "We really like Brown as our primary back-up and we're going to cut Freddie" to "He better hang onto the ****ing ball" in just two weeks.

stuckincincy
03-24-2015, 11:36 AM
"learns to remember"

And a master at esprit de corps, too...

Night Train
03-24-2015, 11:41 AM
His only hope is to cradle the ball high, ala Tiki Barber. He had a major fumbling problem, holding the ball low and being stripped.

Then it stopped.

jimmifli
03-24-2015, 11:42 AM
Funny how it went from "We really like Brown as our primary back-up and we're going to cut Freddie" to "He better hang onto the ****ing ball" in just two weeks.
Too many RBs to carry and Pegs said hands off Freddy this year?

ghz in pittsburgh
03-24-2015, 01:53 PM
That's one strike against Whaley in my book. Imagine if we had that 4th pick this year, we can easily get a RB of equal value, if not more than Brown.

It is not out of blue people say Brown has fumble issue. Watch his run style. And from Parcells to Jimmy Johnson to all of the big time coaches, is anyone surprised that they cannot tolerate a fumbling RB?

Back to the Trade. Phily managed to get a 4th round from the Bills for Brown is out right robbery.

stuckincincy
03-24-2015, 02:48 PM
That's one strike against Whaley in my book. Imagine if we had that 4th pick this year, we can easily get a RB of equal value, if not more than Brown.

It is not out of blue people say Brown has fumble issue. Watch his run style. And from Parcells to Jimmy Johnson to all of the big time coaches, is anyone surprised that they cannot tolerate a fumbling RB?

Back to the Trade. Phily managed to get a 4th round from the Bills for Brown is out right robbery.

The franchise in recent years has a tendency to pay a buck for a lollipop most others would offer 10 cents for.

Meathead
03-24-2015, 03:32 PM
as massively frustrating as that fumble was, im not sure its fair to give up on brown. hes a good runner who had a fumble problem in philly, then came here and had one fumble, albeit a biggie

many rbs have fixed their fumblitis, tiki being the best known probably. gotta give brown more than that one chance i think

DetDannyWilliams
03-24-2015, 04:33 PM
"learns to remember"

anyone remember this quote:question: "He's not a punt returner... he's a punt catcher"

The Jokeman
03-24-2015, 04:41 PM
anyone remember this quote:question: "He's not a punt returner... he's a punt catcher"

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Njg4WDQ5OA==/z/oQ4AAMXQVERSu6SN/$_57.JPG

swiper
03-24-2015, 05:09 PM

Or maybe we can just hand it off to somebody else.

swiper
03-24-2015, 05:15 PM

I think a lot of fans have to realize that Whaley is still pandering, internally, to protect the moves he's made. Those three linemen he drafted - he fought with Marrone and he's going to have to fight with these guys. He's also fighting not to look like a fool for getting Brown. He's fighting to protect his reputation as a pro-personnel guy. Some moves look good. Some don't. Some we haven't given enough time to mature. But you see that he's fighting to give the players he's gotten get a shot.

It's one of the hardest jobs in pro sports. The jury is still out with him. But a lot of what we see is him trying to protect his position.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-24-2015, 06:08 PM
I will admit I trust Mr. Whaley's ability to draft/evaluate defensive players. That's what he made his name in this business while in Pittsburgh and proved in Buffalo as well. In that sense, he can really hit it off with Rex.

The jury is still out in terms of drafting offensive players. Thus far, below average. He got Watkins who appears to be a stud. That's a high mark. But he paid a steep price. Trading up to get him instead of getting some other what turns out to be a great receiver class in itself tells me that he's not as sure of his judgement like on other positional players like linebackers. Pass Watkins, I don't know any one outstanding offensive player you can say the Bills drafted since he came on board. In contrast, during the Levy GM years, you can say they got Lynch, Wood, Levitre who all got mega deals in NFL. Lynch proved to be a stud.

So Whaley has resorted to the buy strategy, paying more than on going rate to get offensive stars like McCoy, Clay, Harvin (who I have reservations - might be on the decline). Not sustainable long term.

The Bills don't give him the option to pick a coach so I can't comment on that.

In terms of other GM skills like trades, I can't help getting the feeling that we are taken when draft picks are involved.

All in all, I just have the sense that he does not feel secure in this GM seat; would do anything, even with the sacrifice of long-term good, to achieve short-term gain, and that is making the playoff as soon as possible, to justify he deserved to be an NFL GM.

Mace
03-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Biggest thing I got out of everything Ryan said....http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-news/2015/3/24/8284283/rex-ryan-interview-owners-meetings-2015-lesean-mccoy-bryce-brown

...is optimism. I'm grudgingly buying in to believing. I wonder if after all (I've been pessimistic about the hire), this might be the perfect marriage of coach and team and city. I think he's gaining a fanbase ready to run through a wall for him, and maybe by some grace of fate, well, I'm grudgingly buying in.

Ingtar33
03-24-2015, 08:25 PM

yep. and we traded for Watson too.

YardRat
03-24-2015, 08:41 PM
Biggest thing I got out of everything Ryan said....http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-news/2015/3/24/8284283/rex-ryan-interview-owners-meetings-2015-lesean-mccoy-bryce-brown

...is optimism. I'm grudgingly buying in to believing. I wonder if after all (I've been pessimistic about the hire), this might be the perfect marriage of coach and team and city. I think he's gaining a fanbase ready to run through a wall for him, and maybe by some grace of fate, well, I'm grudgingly buying in.

I'll buy in if the defense is on par with last season. Contrary to what Rexy said at his presser, fourth is good enough for me, especially considering where they ranked relative to the rest of the league in the categories I posted in another thread. Either that, or the defense doesn't slide back much and the offense improves enough to make the playoffs without being a complete pretender.

Mace
03-24-2015, 09:22 PM
I'll buy in if the defense is on par with last season. Contrary to what Rexy said at his presser, fourth is good enough for me, especially considering where they ranked relative to the rest of the league in the categories I posted in another thread. Either that, or the defense doesn't slide back much and the offense improves enough to make the playoffs without being a complete pretender.

Well, Pettine was really Ryan lite and I found myself then having as much fun watching the defense as waiting to hope I'd have fun watching the offense.

At the least, you're going to be entertained.

jimmifli
03-24-2015, 10:51 PM

I was on record for firing Marrone and promoting Gym Shorts since about November, so I'm not a big fan of this hire. But when looking for things to be happy about...

Here is a list of the best defences of all time by yards per play, adjusted for era (ie how different they were from the league averages of that year):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_a5jrtXEAA-WmE.png

I notice two things right away.... 2004 was the best team of all time to not make the playoffs. The best Bills D ever. AND Rex Ryan coached 4 of those defences. Two as D-Line coach ('00 and '03 Baltimore), one as defensive coordinator ('06 Baltimore), and one as head coach ('09 Jets). At least we can be confident that when he gets his ingredients he can cook a mean stew, even if I still prefer a cook that will work with what's in the cupboard.

Historian
03-25-2015, 07:59 AM
Plenty of room on the bandwagon guys.

You can have my seat. I'm going up front to help drive.

:up:

ZAZusmc03
03-25-2015, 08:26 AM
Plenty of room on the bandwagon guys.

You can have my seat. I'm going up front to help drive.

:up:

I'm on the bandwagon. I've always wanted season tickets, but haven't lived in the area since I graduated high school. Well I'm back in Rochester, and I bought seasons yesterday. Here's to the future :cheers: