X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

I Hope Rex Ryan Brings a New Approach To Preseason Football

Does it make any sense at all to have players like Marcell Dareus, Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Stephon Gilmore, or LeSean McCoy taking a single snap in the preseason?

Players that have already proven themselves in the NFL should never step foot on an NFL preseason game field.

The preseason should be all about finding out who's going to backup the starters, and that's about it.

Wouldn't be surprised if the next CBA includes a clause that will give veteran players and 1st round draft picks the option to play in preseason games or not to.

I don't think the Bills or any other team really needs to face opposing defenses in preseason football games to figure out who can play and who can't.

Stephon Gilmore broke his wrist in a completely meaningless preseason game that set his career back by a year, at least.

For what? Experience?

Bronco's center Dan Koppen tore his ACL in a 2013 preseason game.

The list goes on and on.

Sam Bradford, done for the season after tearing his ACL in a preseason game.

Another concussion for Wes Welker in the Broncos third meaningless preseason game.

Hairline fracture of the ribs for Cam Newton 2 weeks before opening day.

Why so crazy? To prove what?

All for nothing in the preseason, and the proven veteran players would agree.

It's a lose/lose situation.

Do teams really gain that much information in preseason to make risking their starters to injury worth the vanilla competition?

If Rex Ryan said, "I'm not going to play any of my starting players in preseason," would you be disappointed or happy?

I'd be happy because the players would respect him even more than they already do, and potential future free agents would find such a thing to be very attractive and could give the Bills an edge over other teams.

No preseason BS could be the difference maker when it comes to signing free agents in years to come.

I hope Rex Ryan and the Pegulas start a new trend for NFL preseason football.
  • BidsJr
    • Sep 2002

Re: I Hope Rex Ryan Brings a New Approach To Preseason Football

Team has to be ready to win week one. If that means playing starters to get some cohesiveness, then that is what it means.
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

There was a LOT of turnover on the offensive side of the ball and there is a new system on D. The starters have to play.

I'm all in favor of the typical approach. Starters get 2-3 series in each of the first two games, maybe slightly more depending on how the game flows. Starters play into the 3rd quarter of the 3rd preseason game. Starters barely break a sweat in the final game. Any starter nursing any minor injury sits.

It's the only way they will be ready.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Pink
        Peterman Sucks!
        • Mar 2006

Starters need to play and get some game action in before the regular season.

Why?

Because every other team is doing it and coming out flat in week 1, when the games count, because the starters didn't play together in preseason is idiotic.

Comment

• Topas
          German smartass
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
          ... Wouldn't be surprised if the next CBA includes a clause that will give veteran players and 1st round draft picks the option to play in preseason games or not to.
          Similar to others I disagree with you. But especially the bolded part, I not only disagree, but I think it is idiotic.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

I never had a problem with Marv Levy's approach. Give the starters as limited time as possible just for the sake of cohesiveness and getting in game shape but let the guys battling for roster spots and relief status the majority of the reps.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

The league really needs to cut it down to two games as well.

Comment

• Famous Amos
                • Jul 2013

The Bills teams under Jauron were never ready the first week of the season because Jauron didn't take advantage of preseason games. Also the teams were terrible. Do you want to go back to when the Bills were guaranteed a first game loss because of unpreparedness?
                "Hate is a lack of imagination."
                -Graham Greene

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                  I never had a problem with Marv Levy's approach. Give the starters as limited time as possible just for the sake of cohesiveness and getting in game shape but let the guys battling for roster spots and relief status the majority of the reps.
                  The problem is that Marv coached before free agency. There was far less turnover so they already had cohesiveness.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                    The problem is that Marv coached before free agency. There was far less turnover so they already had cohesiveness.
                    Good point.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• jamze132
                      • Jun 2003

The players have to play, there is no way around it. Injuries are unfortunately a part of the game and good teams have good backups.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                        Making Spirits Bright
                        • Mar 2006

We should probably rest the majority of the starters until the middle of the season, maybe around week 8 or so when we plan on going on our playoff run. If playoffs is too much of a long shot, then we should rest our studs until next season when we might have something to play for. We wouldn't want any of the to get injured.

This is football, injuries happen. Would it really have mattered if Gilmore broke his wrist in the preseason or during week 1? What if Bradford got hurt in week 3 instead of the preseason? There's a reason football is called the ultimate team game and for a team to play well it must have time to practice playing as a team. The standard practice that OP described is fine with me. The real problem lies in the quantity of games, as Historian said. Nobody likes to watch boring preseason games.

Comment

• Meathead
                          Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                          • Jul 2002

i wonder if it would really make that much of a difference if starters didnt play at all in preseason?

they spend six days a week studying and practicing. they scrimmage against their own guys. theres no game planning, the systems are all vanilla. probably helps the younger players a ton more than the vets

im sure there is an overall benefit to practicing against other guys via preseason games but how much. if you did an analysis of the injury risk versus benefits like cohesiveness i wonder if it would really be worth it. losing one guy could cripple the whole season. thats relatively unusual (to lose a key guy), not like it happens to every team every year, but you would still have to factor that in. it would be an interesting study if nothing else
                          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Junior Zoner
                            • Mar 2015

Do as Belichik does.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by 01001100 View Post
                              Do as Belichik does.
                              Cheat in the preseason? Come on now!

(sarcasm)

Comment

Working...
                              X