• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Handing Out Executive Superlatives - Free Agency - CBS Sports

Doug Whaley, Rex Ryan and Terry Pegula, GM, head coach and owner, Buffalo Bills:

A Rex Ryan team will always enter with fireworks, and the brass in Buffalo understood that well. Say what you will about the moves they've made, and the relatively limited salary-cap space they've left themselves with, but Buffalo is providing its fan base with something it deserves. At this point, it's playoffs or bust, a point of view that was still a ways away before Percy Harvin and LeSean McCoy walked in the door. Now, it's up to Ryan and offensive coordinator Greg Roman to make the pieces fit.

This March was a wild one in the NFL during which plenty of executives pushed their chips to the middle of the table and made bold moves. Conor Orr recognizes a few who made an impact.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • Swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Re: Handing Out Executive Superlatives - Free Agency - CBS Sports

That sums it up pretty well.

We watch what they do in the draft and wait for camp. Camp will be where those pieces start to be fitted together.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

The media likes the 'bling' also.

I know I've been critical of some of the moves (or lack thereof) or some of the specifics (player, contract, etc), but just looking at it from a real basic viewpoint...

We needed a TE, and got one.
      We needed a RB, and got one.
      We needed a FB (after hiring Rex and Roman), and got one.
      We needed a QB, and got two (so far).
      We needed a potential play-maker and an upgrade at WR, and got one.
      We needed oline help, and at least signed one.
      We needed to keep some of our own (most notably Hughes, Easley...hopefully Spikes) and have.

We still need more oline help and additional dline upgrades due to the switch, but still have room for cap cuts, June 1st cuts, and the draft...not to mention a possible re-structuring of a current contract (or two) to help out. Still not fond of the Ryan hire to begin with or this year's philosophy regarding acquiring some new faces, but at least we are filling holes that most of know obviously needed to be addressed.
      Last edited by YardRat; 03-28-2015, 12:21 PM.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Topas
        German smartass
        • Feb 2014

I agree Yard. Most todos are completed. The obvious misses are QB. But the fault happened long ago and during this FA there was nothing promising. I think they did well with Cassel and Taylor. The other incomplete is OLine. But at least we signed a hungry Ex-ProBowler and hopefully our draft picks from last year progress.
        If they somehow find a QB next year that they can develop on the bench I am all fine.

Now lets see what the coaches do. I am not holding my breath for the draft since I dont expect we get a starter. We are pretty stacked at all positions except LG and QB and for QB we will definitely not find a starter in the second round. For LG, maybe. But maybe not. And all other positions will most probably not be improved with a second rounder, except maybe Safety.

Comment

Working...
        X