• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Bills shot their '16 FA wad this year, too

They'll probably have to purge a few vets to boot, based on Whaley's comments.

Don’t look for the Bills to do any trading involving draft picks in an effort to get back into the first round, which they vacated for this year to move up for Sammy Watkins in 2014.

Don’t look for them to part with draft picks, period.

Next year, we are going to be the Green Bay of free agency, we’re going to sign our own,” Whaley said. “So, with that, you want to keep all those draft choices because we’ve got to start getting those young guys in the pipeline – young, cheap guys, because we’re starting to get a lot of expensive guys. Not older, but mid-prime years, 26- to 27-year-old guys, so we’ve got to get those young guys in for ‘cheap labor,’ so when those guys get to 30 and plus, they’re in there and they can start taking over without us having to force a rookie to play.

“And that’s our goal, that’s our philosophy, to have those guys in for two or three years, have them on special teams and add depth. And when their number’s called, they’ve been in the system for a while and they’ll have less propensity to make mistakes.”
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Bills shot their '16 FA wad this year, too

Fine by me.

A new coach comes on board and makes instant moves to get the team going immediately with key Vets. It's a 1 time deal to make this many moves but I love it. Now to draft the future to develop behind them.

Naturally some Vets will hit the wall in the next year or 2 due to age/declining play. Fred J, Wood, Kyle Williams and a few more. That will free up money for other things like the next Dareus deal and more.

I'm not worried about 2016 and beyond. I plan on enjoying this upcoming promising season.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I thought was a nice little revelation of how they are not only approaching this off season but next year's as well.

Also interesting that he basically says he doesn't expect some of these guys to see the end of their contracts, if they plan on dumping them when they 'get to 30 and plus'.
      Last edited by YardRat; 03-29-2015, 04:53 PM.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Night Train
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        I thought was a nice little revelation of how they are not only approaching this off season but next year's as well.

Also interesting that he basically says he doesn't expect some of these guys to see the end of their contracts, if they plan on dumping them when they 'get to 30 and plus'.
        It's the way I view all FA's when teams announce those deals. Most are back loaded and you know the so called total value means little. The guarantee is king and the first 2-3 years with the bonus is all most see. By then, the dead cap hit is usually gone and teams take a hard look at the player.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
          It's the way I view all FA's when teams announce those deals. Most are back loaded and you know the so called total value means little. The guarantee is king and the first 2-3 years with the bonus is all most see. By then, the dead cap hit is usually gone and teams take a hard look at the player.
          Yeah, most of us look at it that way but it's kind of unusual for a GM to allude to it.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• The Beef
            • Sep 2011

I love Whaley's comments.

If he locks up Glenn, Gilmore and Dareus that's a huge success.

This team has one glaring hole at QB, and an upgrade is needed at OG. We need depth at DL and LB, but for the most part starters are locked up across the board.

Comment

• Swiper
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by The Beef View Post
              I love Whaley's comments.

If he locks up Glenn, Gilmore and Dareus that's a huge success.

This team has one glaring hole at QB, and an upgrade is needed at OG. We need depth at DL and LB, but for the most part starters are locked up across the board.
              Those are the targets. Dareus being the most important (obviously). As far as the other two, a lot depends on how Gilmore plays this season.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

I would contend we need starters at DE and DT, and an upgrade at C also, but one or two of those could come from the next two drafts.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Swiper
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2010

I'd like to see Wood this season under new coaching/blocking scheme before I write him off.

Comment

• Night Train
                    • Jul 2005

I fully expect the 1st round pick in 2016 will be a QB. This year, OT,OG, C types would seem the priority.

Seems like they thought this out and are comfortable with the plan. Can't say I disagree. I just hope we can get decent QB play this year, since the weapons are now obvious. Who cares who it is.

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

I've always thought that's the philosophy you're supposed to have, and one that succeeds ...as long as you draft well.
                      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                        I would contend we need starters at DE and DT, and an upgrade at C also, but one or two of those could come from the next two drafts.
                        Bills don't need an upgrade at center. Wood is good.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
                          Bills don't need an upgrade at center. Wood is good.
                          I doubt the Bills get rid of Wood.

He is a team first type of guy & I think he will accept a restructure of his contract to stay a Buffalo Bill.

And if they find someone that can play Center BETTER than Wood, he can move to Guard.

Comment

• Oaf
                            Do you read what you write?
                            • Jun 2007

Based on Whaley's comments about what they're expecting from their draft picks (backups/contributors) I could see them being pretty open to trading down and netting an extra 4th or something.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              I doubt the Bills get rid of Wood.

He is a team first type of guy & I think he will accept a restructure of his contract to stay a Buffalo Bill.

And if they find someone that can play Center BETTER than Wood, he can move to Guard.
                              For what reason? He is being compensated exactly how much he should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X