X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Strongman
    • Apr 2006

College benchmarks of elite NFL QBs

I read this study by Matt Richner (who interned or worked for the Seahawks) about NFL QBs and how they performed in college. It attempts to set some benchmarks to look for in college QB that might be indicative of success in the NFL. I found it sort of interesting. This is what is says to look in college for an elite NFL QB:

Breakdown: These players were chosen from our list of 164 as the top level NFL QB’s who have been selected in the NFL
    draft since 2000. Each of these players have or had shown a consistent level of play as a starting QB in the NFL for long
    period of time. These players averaged roughly 24 wins while in college. Jay Cutler, Aaron Rodgers and recent Super
    Bowl MVP Joe Flacco had less than 20 wins while in college. Most of these players had over 3 seasons as a starting QB in
    college, which means they averaged roughly 9 wins a season. These players averaged 67 TD’s pass in college down from
    previous years average of 69. A solid baseline of 40 TD’s pass thrown should be achieved before any QB is considered for
    the NFL draft. A solid ratio of TD/INT Ratio of 2.0 should be achieved for any first round draft selection. Players that have
    less than a 2.0 Ratio have shown to be inconsistent starters in the NFL. Finally, 4 of the 15 players in this list had a
    completion percentage of 60% or less. Of these 4 players 2 of them (Matt Ryan and Carson Palmer) were 4 year starters
    while in college. Each showed a continue ability to get better each season and were only a single percentage point away
    from achieving the benchmark of 60%. On average the quarterbacks in this tier raised their career completion .76% from
    college to the NFL. Tom Landry once said you can’t teach accuracy, and a .76% proof that he is correct.

It seems reasonable. He also has benchmarks for other tiers of QBs. Unfortunately, using it indicates that EJ doesn't look like such a great pick. Here's the website:

• Strongman
    • Apr 2006

Re: College benchmarks of elite NFL QBs

I was too late to edit my first post... In the last pages, it mentions the 2013 QBs and puts EJ as an elite prospect. I'm not really sure why that is since his TD/Int ratio doesn't seem to fit with that.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Very interesting read. Thanks for the find.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• OLDSRIP
        • Dec 2008

Thanks for putting this here.

Fwiw, On the bottom of page 19, it says EJ fits in the top tier of QB's who could make it.

Comment

• Strongman
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by OLDSRIP View Post
          Thanks for putting this here.

Fwiw, On the bottom of page 19, it says EJ fits in the top tier of QB's who could make it.
          Yeah, I saw that after reading part of the article, stopped, and then sort of projected the tier EJ projected into. I'm still not sure how they came away with him being in the top tier. It might be the stats I was using.

Comment

• jamze132
            • Jun 2003

Good find, thanks.

EJ had almost off the chart measurable too, but like Landry said, you can't teach accuracy.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Roger Staubach would've never been drafted.

Check out Roger Staubach's College Stats, School, Draft, Gamelog, Splits and More College Stats at Sports-Reference.com
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Strongman
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                Good find, thanks.

EJ had almost off the chart measurable too, but like Landry said, you can't teach accuracy.
                Yeah, I saw that. Let's hope Landry was wrong about that.

Comment

• Strongman
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                  Roger Staubach would've never been drafted.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/...taubach-1.html
                  Interesting. I'd be a little leery about using this model for the older QBs simply because the games evolution. No facts to base this on, so just a guess on my part.

Comment

• Strongman
                    • Apr 2006

He benchmarks some other positions as well.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                      • Jul 2005

I don't think it is a matter of EJ being inaccurate I think a lot of his flaws are mechanical and trying to be perfect every time. Also I think what CJ said about him trying to be everyones friend is true, and seeing Orton do his thing and take command may help him. Granted in order to earn the respect he has to show it on the field, but we are all hoping he wins the job and plays at a top 16 QB level.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                        Dances With Buffaloes
                        • Sep 2002

this "prediction formula" will not work with read-option quarterbacks due to the nature of the offense. RGIII measured out as a top QB with this as well.

the read-option creates some outstanding college QB stats, but delivers to the nfl unprepared QBs for running a non-read option offense.
                        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Strongman
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                          this "prediction formula" will not work with read-option quarterbacks due to the nature of the offense. RGIII measured out as a top QB with this as well.

the read-option creates some outstanding college QB stats, but delivers to the nfl unprepared QBs for running a non-read option offense.
                          It has some faults. I don't like how it includes some of the QBs who schools play in weaker NCAA conferences. I just thought some of the stat minded people here might find it interesting.

Comment

• X-Era
                            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                            • Feb 2005

I don't fully buy into predictors. The NFL is just too fast and the players are too good. You either adapt to the next huge jump up or you don't. And many just don't even with great pedigrees.

Comment

• Strongman
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                              I don't fully buy into predictors. The NFL is just too fast and the players are too good. You either adapt to the next huge jump up or you don't. And many just don't even with great pedigrees.
                              I think of them more as tools to guide teams into making better draft selections. I agree with the pemise that a successful NFL QB probably showed similar traits in college. The trick is figuring out the important stats from the noise.

Comment

Working...
                              X