Does a QB need to come from a pro system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

I'm a big fan of Bryce Petty. In a write-up on Petty I found this interesting:

"Whitfield said the latter is sort of a silly case to prove. According to his research, 74 percent of NFL snaps in 2014-15 came with the quarterback in shotgun formation. Only the Baltimore Ravens' Joe Flacco, he said, took the bulk of his snaps under center."

Throwing from the shotgun is only one aspect. Going through progressions is another. Petty needs to be able to read defenses.

• Swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Re: Does a QB need to come from a pro system?

YES

Comment

• Strongman
      • Apr 2006

Here's an article kind of related to this subject:

The NFL draft has always been a crapshoot when it comes to quarterbacks, but the transition is becoming harder as they have to be reprogrammed for a pro-style offense.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Whitfield is obviously pimping his boy, I certainly hope he understands there is more to a 'pro system' then taking snaps from under center.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Buckets
          • Jun 2003

I think if a QB can only thrive in a set environment I.E. under center or shotgun style, they are not elite. So if a OB is considered elite and has only played shotgun in college he should be able to adjust in the pros. Just saying.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Does a QB need to come from a pro system? No.

But two things:
            1. QB's who come from pro systems are less of a gamble for the drafting team because they've already shown they can play in a pro system. Qb's who aren't from pro systems can show all the physical tools but teams don't k is if they have the brains for the pro system. It's a risky pick.
            2. A qb who isn't from a pro system is going to have a steeper learning curve and take longer to develop.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post

But two things:
              1. QB's who come from pro systems are less of a gamble for the drafting team because they've already shown they can play in a pro system. Qb's who aren't from pro systems can show all the physical tools but teams don't k is if they have the brains for the pro system. It's a risky pick.
              2. A qb who isn't from a pro system is going to have a steeper learning curve and take longer to develop.
              Stating the obvious I realize, but, being from a pro-system is no guarantee of success.

I think there are lot's of factors. Some seem to carry more weight than others... Years of college experience in a big time conference reading defenses seems like a significant factor is being successful. But didn't EJ Manuel have that? 43 games in a big time program reading defenses?

Check out E.J. Manuel's College Stats, School, Draft, Gamelog, Splits and More College Stats at Sports-Reference.com

It's a crapshoot. Really tough to get it right. There are very very few Lucks. After that you really struggle to find a sure fire qualification list.

Is it possible that if a player has all the physical skills... arm strength, accuracy, dexterity, athleticism... and has the desire and mental aptitude to quickly and effectively learn an all new method of quarterbacking that he could be successful? I think the key would be the ability to "get it". Manuel, with everything going in his favor, hasn't shown fully that he "gets it". Maybe he never will. Yet maybe Petty (for example), with having to learn to read defenses and with little experience doing it, can take his god given talent, hopefully show the aptitude and drive to learn and "get it".

On the surface it would seem to be a bigger climb. Or is it less about experience and more about ability to adapt and quickly excel? Especially considering the jump from college to the pro's is such a huge on in the first place...

To extend it further, is the jump from college to the pro's so great that no amount of prior experience in any setting makes it sure fire or even likely to succeed?

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

He doesn't need to be... but it seems few can make the switch from 1 read and run, which is the norm at most colleges. They've never been contained to a pocket by a Defense.

Then comes the fine line of poise vs. panic. Most select the later. They never learn to read the Safety or short zone LB.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Bill Cody
                  • Sep 2004

for me the answer is...yes

I'm tired f these jokers coming out of spread offenses. We're from Western NY. We're not running a spread here. I'd like to see us start to build a real blueprint of what we want our team to be and draft players to fit it. At QB I'm looking for someone that's physically and mentally tough. I'd like us to look like a combo of the Bears and the Steelers when both were good. Does that scream "spread QB" to you? I'm thinking no.

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                    for me the answer is...yes

I'm tired f these jokers coming out of spread offenses. We're from Western NY. We're not running a spread here. I'd like to see us start to build a real blueprint of what we want our team to be and draft players to fit it. At QB I'm looking for someone that's physically and mentally tough. I'd like us to look like a combo of the Bears and the Steelers when both were good. Does that scream "spread QB" to you? I'm thinking no.
                    The Gailey offense here was mostly a spread. And 74% of the NFL snaps were from the shotgun last year? Very surprising if true.

Roman wont run a spread. Although he had success with Kap who came from a spread (Pistol) at Nevada.

Comment

• Buckets
                      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post

But two things:
                      I guess that's what I'm saying, if they don't have the brains they're not elite.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                        I think the key would be the ability to "get it".
                        Same here.

The changes in the college game, all the rule changes in the NFL make it difficult for me to evaluate QBs as before. Our poster Night Train puts it well - poise.
                        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                          Same here.

The changes in the college game, all the rule changes in the NFL make it difficult for me to evaluate QBs as before. Our poster Night Train puts it well - poise.
                          Yeah, poise, mental markup, pocket presence, progressions, reading defenses, decision making... pick your term. It's really all in the ability to do what the QB should do and find and deliver the ball to the open guys or not throw it when it will result in an INT.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                            The Gailey offense here was mostly a spread. And 74% of the NFL snaps were from the shotgun last year? Very surprising if true.

Roman wont run a spread. Although he had success with Kap who came from a spread (Pistol) at Nevada.
                            You're right. I guess I'm too old school. I don't like the game as much now as I used to. What I'd like to see probably won't happen, maybe wouldn't work any more.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                              You're right. I guess I'm too old school. I don't like the game as much now as I used to. What I'd like to see probably won't happen, maybe wouldn't work any more.
                              Well, I am excited to see Romans offense.

The Bills will run the ball, but they will be creative with the run game as well as the pass game.

The offense will be nothing like last years SIMPLE offense.

Comment

Working...
                              X