PDA

View Full Version : Are The 2015 Buffalo Bills Going To The Playoffs?

BillsImpossible
03-30-2015, 06:35 PM
Coaching - better, a lot better.

Special Teams - Same or better (Crossman retained)

Running back - better (McCoy)

Wide receiver - better (Harvin)

Tight End - better (Clay)

Guard - better (Incognito/draft pick)

QB - I think whoever wins the starting job will be better than Kyle Orton was.

Defense - better. If the Jets can finish 4th overall last year, the Bills can finish 1st in 2015 with the talent they have to work with.

On paper, the Bills are a much better team but wiill that translate in to their first playoff appearance since 1999?

Biggest question marks?

QB, offensive line, and depth at tight end and running back.

If Clay or McCoy get injured, those are some huge holes to fill.

The last buffalo fan
03-30-2015, 07:02 PM
Except for the ****ing game in London, but I'm really pumped already!

YardRat
03-30-2015, 07:19 PM
Tough schedule, no obvious upgrades at the most needy positions on offense yet (line and QB) and a switch back to a defense that doesn't maximize the talent of the roster. I'll be very surprised if we duplicate last season's 9-7 record, let alone surpass it and make the playoffs.

CoolBreeze
03-30-2015, 07:36 PM
Except for the ****ing game in London, but I'm really pumped already!

Isn't that an away game for us? I also thought it was canceled.

CoolBreeze
03-30-2015, 07:57 PM
I think our RB depth is fine. This year we will go as far as the starting QB will take us. That's why it's hard to watch a team like this be built with no head on it's shoulders. There's nothing more that can be done this offseason. Except hope Manuel has grown, or Cassel almost replicates his best season, or maybe even Taylor steps up and shows why Rex was so interested in him.

We'll see, I think EJ was humbled last season, and learned from Orton. I believe he will get us there.

Either way through luck, fate, or the alignment of the stars we're due.

OpIv37
03-30-2015, 10:52 PM
No QB, no OL. Hence, no playoffs.

Night Train
03-31-2015, 03:33 AM
If all games were played on paper, I'd save a lot of $$ on season tickets.

I can wait for the games. Predictions are useless.

better days
03-31-2015, 01:32 PM
ABSOLUTELY the Bills make the playoffs this year.

BillsImpossible
03-31-2015, 09:10 PM
I think our RB depth is fine. This year we will go as far as the starting QB will take us. That's why it's hard to watch a team like this be built with no head on it's shoulders. There's nothing more that can be done this offseason. Except hope Manuel has grown, or Cassel almost replicates his best season, or maybe even Taylor steps up and shows why Rex was so interested in him.

We'll see, I think EJ was humbled last season, and learned from Orton. I believe he will get us there.

Either way through luck, fate, or the alignment of the stars we're due.

Not so sure about RB depth after McCoy. If McCoy goes down, I hope the Bills have a rookie ready to roll.

If EJ had all 16 games to play in last year, I think the Bills would have finished with the same record, maybe 8-8 at worse.

In retrospect, pulling EJ in favor of Orton was a big mistake.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-31-2015, 09:43 PM
Tough schedule

I have to disagree about this. Sitting here in March, this looks like a very manageable slate. We draw only five games against opponents who made the playoffs in 2014, and the only one on the road is our trip to Foxboro. We do have to travel to London, but as the road team so we don't lose any HFA.

BillsImpossible
03-31-2015, 10:08 PM
Indy, Dallas, and New England (twice) look like the Bills toughest opponents.

The Bills also play the Giants, Titans, and the Jets (twice).

Bengals and of course the Chiefs.

Miami twice.

Jaguars in London.

Cleveland.

Redskins.

Texans.

No west coast trips.

More than likely 1 Prime Time Sunday Night home game.

The schedule hasn't even come out yet, but I already like it.

YardRat
04-01-2015, 04:51 AM
I have to disagree about this. Sitting here in March, this looks like a very manageable slate. We draw only five games against opponents who made the playoffs in 2014, and the only one on the road is our trip to Foxboro. We do have to travel to London, but as the road team so we don't lose any HFA.

My viewpoint is there are no gimme's in our own division. Against the NFCE, either. Indianapolis and Houston. Cincinnati and Kansas City. The only two teams I see that I consider we should definitely win are Jacksonville and Tennessee, most of the rest could go either way. I don't put much stock anymore into HFA, it seems to have lost some of it's relevance to this team.

DynaPaul
04-01-2015, 06:11 AM
If we don't get in we're going to be damn close.

OpIv37
04-01-2015, 08:32 AM
If we don't get in we're going to be damn close.

We were damn close last year. All we needed to do was beat the Raiders.

MidnightVoice
04-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Which five new teams will make the playoffs in 2015?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000482717/article/which-five-new-teams-will-make-the-playoffs-in-2015

2. Buffalo Bills: While the Patriots are still the odds-on favorites to take the division, look for Rex Ryan's team to come out with that first-year Ryan energy and take down a wild-card spot. If nothing else, the additions of LeSean McCoy and Percy Harvin should ease the burden on whichever quarterback ends up winning the battle. A nine-win team got markedly better from the year before and has a coach who can better utilize the tools at hand on defense. What's not to like?

Mr. Pink
04-01-2015, 09:47 AM
QB - worse

End of discussion.

justasportsfan
04-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Tough schedule,

that's what every team that's facing the bills is saying

Historian
04-01-2015, 10:06 AM
I think we're going to the SB...and I think we're going to win it.

stuckincincy
04-01-2015, 10:13 AM
FWIW - 2015 strength of schedule:

1 Pittsburgh Steelers: 147-107-2, .579
2. Cincinnati Bengals: 144-112, .563
3. San Francisco 49ers: 143-112-1, .561
4. Seattle Seahawks: 142-112-2, .559
5. Arizona Cardinals:142-113-1, .557
6. St. Louis Rams: 141-114-1, .553
T-7. Oakland Raiders: 139-116-1, .545
T-7. Kansas City Chiefs: 139-116-1, .545
9. Cleveland Browns: 138-116-2, .543
10. Denver Broncos: 138-117-1, .541
11. Baltimore Ravens: 137-117-2, .539
12. Minnesota Vikings: 138-118, .539
13. Chicago Bears: 136-120, .531
14. Green Bay Packers: 135-120-1, .529
15. Detroit Lions: 135-121, .527
16. San Diego Chargers: 132-123-1, .518
17. Miami Dolphins: 126-130, .492
18. New York Jets: 125-131, .488
19. Buffalo Bills: 124-131-1, .486
T-20. Washington Redskins: 122-133-1, .478
T-20. New York Giants: 122-133-1, .478
22. New England Patriots: 122-134, .477
23. Philadelphia Eagles: 121-134-1, .475
24. Dallas Cowboys: 119-136-1, .467
25. Jacksonville Jaguars: 118-137-1, .463
26. Tennessee Titans: 111-144-1, .435
27. Carolina Panthers: 111-145, .434
28. New Orleans Saints: 109-145-2, .429
29. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 108-146-2, .425
30. Houston Texans: 106-148-2, .417
31. Indianapolis Colts: 106-149-1, .417
32. Atlanta Falcons: 104-150-2, .409

IlluminatusUIUC
04-01-2015, 10:38 AM
My viewpoint is there are no gimme's in our own division. Against the NFCE, either. Indianapolis and Houston. Cincinnati and Kansas City. The only two teams I see that I consider we should definitely win are Jacksonville and Tennessee, most of the rest could go either way. I don't put much stock anymore into HFA, it seems to have lost some of it's relevance to this team.

Every game "could go either way" when you are dead in the middle of the pack like we were last year. For god's sake this team shut down Aaron Rodgers and then lost to David Carr in consecutive weeks. But that doesn't change that, as of now, we drew a very weak slate of opponents and have far and away our toughest games at home. HFA is not overwhelming, but it's still a thing, and considering the season ticket sales we've been seeing it should be getting stronger this year.

Compare that to some of the teams we'll likely be fighting for the wild card, not only in who we're playing but how comparatively little we have to travel to get there. For example: The AFC North draws the NFC West AND the AFC West this year meaning that not only are they playing some of the toughest teams, but they are making a ****load of cross-country flights. Each of those teams has to make at least four trips to Pacific or Mountain time.

Let me phrase it another way, looking at the 2015 opponents (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000451398/article/opponents-set-for-2015-nfl-season), which of those AFC lineups would you trade with?

OpIv37
04-01-2015, 10:40 AM
I think we're going to the SB...and I think we're going to win it.

Not a chance. There is almost no playoff experience on this roster. And we aren't going to take the div so we'd have to win 3 games on the road just to get there.

better days
04-01-2015, 10:51 AM

Here is a FACT for you OpIv, EVERY year, 5 teams make the playoffs that did not make the playoffs the year before.

NFL.com has the Bills as the #2 team expected to make the playoffs that did not make it the year before.

OpIv, can you name 5 teams that did not make the playoffs last year that are unquestionably BETTER than the Bills?

OpIv37
04-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Here is a FACT for you OpIv, EVERY year, 5 teams make the playoffs that did not make the playoffs the year before.

NFL.com has the Bills as the #2 team expected to make the playoffs that did not make it the year before.

OpIv, can you name 5 teams that did not make the playoffs last year that are unquestionably BETTER than the Bills?

That's a fact? Prove it.

But we aren't competing for playoff spots with all 32 teams- only with the 16 in the AFC. If 3 or 4 of those 5 are from the NFC, Thant means only one or two teams that didn't make the playoffs this past year would need to be better than the Bills to keep us out of the AFC playoffs.

Additionally, teams don't necessarily have to be better to keep us out of the playoffs. Carolina made it at 7-8-1. Does anyone think they were better than 10-6 Philly or even the 9-7 Bills?

So, your question is fundamentally flawed.

MikeInRoch
04-01-2015, 11:07 AM
We were damn close last year. All we needed to do was beat the Raiders.

Actually - it turned out that wouldn't have mattered. We still would have lost the tie-breaker.

MikeInRoch
04-01-2015, 11:09 AM

I don't think you understand what a "fact" is. Yes, it has occurred a lot recently that a bunch of teams make the playoffs that didn't before. There's nothing that *requires* that to be the case. It's rather stupid to base your argument on that assumption.

better days
04-01-2015, 12:35 PM
That's a fact? Prove it.

But we aren't competing for playoff spots with all 32 teams- only with the 16 in the AFC. If 3 or 4 of those 5 are from the NFC, Thant means only one or two teams that didn't make the playoffs this past year would need to be better than the Bills to keep us out of the AFC playoffs.

Additionally, teams don't necessarily have to be better to keep us out of the playoffs. Carolina made it at 7-8-1. Does anyone think they were better than 10-6 Philly or even the 9-7 Bills?

So, your question is fundamentally flawed.

There is no division in the AFC that a team will win with less than a .500 record

better days
04-01-2015, 12:36 PM
I don't think you understand what a "fact" is. Yes, it has occurred a lot recently that a bunch of teams make the playoffs that didn't before. There's nothing that *requires* that to be the case. It's rather stupid to base your argument on that assumption.

Nothing requires it, but since 1990, at least 4 non playoff teams have made the playoffs every year.

OpIv37
04-01-2015, 12:48 PM
There is no division in the AFC that a team will win with less than a .500 record

Yeah but they might win one with 9 or 10 wins and we have 10 or 11 and miss out on tiebreakers.

better days
04-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Yeah but they might win one with 9 or 10 wins and we have 10 or 11 and miss out on tiebreakers.

True, that could happen.

But I like the Bills chances this year to finally become relevant & make the playoffs.

So we don't have Brady or Manning, We have a defense that can win games for us.

stuckincincy
04-01-2015, 01:19 PM
I think they will - they were touted for their "D" last season, the touting continues. They will become a "chic" pick. They have a new owner who is pouring out tons of guaranteed $. The breaks will be made for them.

sukie
04-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Is there anything more useless than the "strength of schedule"? What any team did last year is meaningless come Sept.

OpIv37
04-01-2015, 02:17 PM
Is there anything more useless than the "strength of schedule"? What any team did last year is meaningless come Sept.
Nah it doesn't matter.

Btw- the league called and they want to change the schedule around, so instead of playing Jacksonville in London, we are going to play the Seahawks in Seattle. You're cool with that, right? After all, strength of schedule doesn't matter in April.

Mr. Pink
04-01-2015, 04:20 PM

Yeah it doesn't matter.

Even though the same teams consistently make the playoffs. New England, Denver, Indy all will be just as good this year as they were last year as they were the year before that. And the same bottom feeders are the same bottom feeders. Jacksonville is gonna suck this year, just like they did last year and as they did the year before that.

YardRat
04-01-2015, 05:08 PM
Every game "could go either way" when you are dead in the middle of the pack like we were last year. For god's sake this team shut down Aaron Rodgers and then lost to David Carr in consecutive weeks. But that doesn't change that, as of now, we drew a very weak slate of opponents and have far and away our toughest games at home. HFA is not overwhelming, but it's still a thing, and considering the season ticket sales we've been seeing it should be getting stronger this year.

Compare that to some of the teams we'll likely be fighting for the wild card, not only in who we're playing but how comparatively little we have to travel to get there. For example: The AFC North draws the NFC West AND the AFC West this year meaning that not only are they playing some of the toughest teams, but they are making a ****load of cross-country flights. Each of those teams has to make at least four trips to Pacific or Mountain time.

Let me phrase it another way, looking at the 2015 opponents (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000451398/article/opponents-set-for-2015-nfl-season), which of those AFC lineups would you trade with?

Yeah the lack of travel for the Bills certainly is a plus, it's one of the things that stood out to me also (other than London, obviously). But, the biggest point is bolded...unless somebody believes the team has progressed above the middle of the pack, there is no validity to the contention that we drew a 'weak schedule of opponents'...many of them are in the same boat as us, certainly not weaker.

YardRat
04-01-2015, 05:13 PM
As far as the question, Illumy, I would trade schedules with any of the teams in the AFC South, I'd much rather be looking at the NFC South on the schedule than the NFC East.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Yeah the lack of travel for the Bills certainly is a plus, it's one of the things that stood out to me also (other than London, obviously). But, the biggest point is bolded...unless somebody believes the team has progressed above the middle of the pack,

I do, in the short term. While I think that McCoy is likely to fade off quickly, I don't that happens this year. Similarly, we did improve several other elements of our team in the short term. My problem with this offseason is that these are potentially hindering our future, but for 2015 I think we can see a marked improvement.

there is no validity to the contention that we drew a 'weak schedule of opponents'...many of them are in the same boat as us, certainly not weaker.

I disagree (see above).

As far as the question, Illumy, I would trade schedules with any of the teams in the AFC South, I'd much rather be looking at the NFC South on the schedule than the NFC East.

Why? To me the NFC South (aside from Tampa Bay) looks like a division where the teams all went through crap seasons at the same time. That's still the same division that produced 11, 12, and 13 win teams in the two prior years. I personally think the NFC South is primed for a rebound much moreso than the AFC South.

YardRat
04-01-2015, 06:36 PM
I wasn't comparing the NFC South (who the AFCS plays)to the AFC South, I was comparing them to the NFC East (who Buffalo plays). To me, the East is stronger by far, and playing the NFCS would = a weaker schedule.

BertSquirtgum
04-01-2015, 07:08 PM
QB - worse

End of discussion.

Yes. Cleveland's qb situation is worse. I agree.

BertSquirtgum
04-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Not a chance. There is almost no playoff experience on this roster. And we aren't going to take the div so we'd have to win 3 games on the road just to get there.

Shuuuuut up

OpIv37
04-01-2015, 07:56 PM
Shuuuuut up

Intelligent, well-reasoned response, as usual.

Mace
04-01-2015, 08:59 PM
11-5 and a wildcard. My thought is that they have a 2 year exemption from apparent weaknesses thriving purely on Ryan's motivation with decent smallball and creative defense.

If they use those two years to address apparent weaknesses we're back in business. If they slop around and go Sabres dubious long view because everyone is cozy with the temporary magic, it's back to painful middling for another 3 after.

OpIv37
04-01-2015, 09:25 PM
11-5 and a wildcard. My thought is that they have a 2 year exemption from apparent weaknesses thriving purely on Ryan's motivation with decent smallball and creative defense.

If they use those two years to address apparent weaknesses we're back in business. If they slop around and go Sabres dubious long view because everyone is cozy with the temporary magic, it's back to painful middling for another 3 after.
How are they going to address weaknesses when they already killed the cap?

Mace
04-01-2015, 09:33 PM

Well, artfully using the draft for better or worse. FA is band aid in most cases. They'd better thrive in the draft on training previous picks.

better days
04-01-2015, 10:31 PM

The cap is not killed, it just needs to be managed.

Look for restructures/extensions of Darius & Mario which will tie them to Buffalo & help the cap number.

jills
04-01-2015, 11:10 PM

This.

Same problem different year.

Night Train
04-02-2015, 04:15 AM
I'll sit back and see what we have come summer with this team, in regards to QB, OL, schemes and any other questions (which all teams have this time of year). Etching things in stone during the spring is a waste of breath.

I'll give Roman a chance to get this O going, since it sucked quite often last year. With all the positive additions, hope isn't foolish. Plus I'll watch the D schemes, since many here are convinced Rex will ruin them...much like after Pettine left and we were left with Schwartz.

Get them in pads and let's see. Outside of the Pats, I'm not nearly as impressed with other teams as many are here. They ALL have their warts.

On to the draft.

Historian
04-02-2015, 10:26 AM

I think we're the Rams of yesteryear...coming out of nowhere to win the SB....only our strength is our defense.

swiper
04-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Doug Marrone took an o-line loaded with crappy Whaley-picked players to 9-7. It's pretty amazing. The Bills mistake, perhaps, was not giving Marrone the power to pick the players over Doug "I like black guys" Whaley. Then maybe we could have gotten a better o-lineman or two.

BertSquirtgum
04-02-2015, 12:34 PM

Do you complain about getting laid as well?

BertSquirtgum
04-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Doug Marrone took an o-line loaded with crappy Whaley-picked players to 9-7. It's pretty amazing. The Bills mistake, perhaps, was not giving Marrone the power to pick the players over Doug "I like black guys" Whaley. Then maybe we could have gotten a better o-lineman or two.

Marrone didn't do that. Schwartz did.

better days
04-02-2015, 12:38 PM

April fools day was yesterday!

And Marrone was not responsible for that 9-7 record.

It was MUCH more about Schwartz & the defense than Marrone & his crappy offense.

And by the way, with apologies to Meathead, RACIST

OpIv37
04-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Do you complain about getting laid as well?

Getting ****ed would be a more appropriate comparison. This is looking more and more like the exact mistake Pegula made with the Sabres.

- - - Updated - - -

OpIv37
04-02-2015, 01:26 PM
I think we're the Rams of yesteryear...coming out of nowhere to win the SB....only our strength is our defense.and this is where we have to separate hope from expectations. I hope this happens but there is no reason to expect it to.

OpIv37
04-02-2015, 01:29 PM
The cap is not killed, it just needs to be managed.

Look for restructures/extensions of Darius & Mario which will tie them to Buffalo & help the cap number.

Assuming those guys want a restructure....

And even if they do, there is only so much cap that can be gained.

better days
04-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Assuming those guys want a restructure....

And even if they do, there is only so much cap that can be gained.

Yes, it is an assumption that Dareus & Mario would want to be PAID a LOT of money with a restructure/extension.

And a LOT of cap space can be gained by restructuring the contracts of those two players.

OpIv37
04-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Yes, it is an assumption that Dareus & Mario would want to be PAID a LOT of money with a restructure/extension.

And a LOT of cap space can be gained by restructuring the contracts of those two players.

So, your solution for freeing up cap space is to give guys raises and extensions? All that does is punt tha cap hit to the future. And you can only punt so many times.... Eventually this will catch up with the team and they will be in cap jail.

better days
04-02-2015, 01:59 PM
So, your solution for freeing up cap space is to give guys raises and extensions? All that does is punt tha cap hit to the future. And you can only punt so many times.... Eventually this will catch up with the team and they will be in cap jail.

Maybe the Bills will be in cap jail long down the road.

But it is not just for the cap. The bills will have TWO GOOD players tied up for a long time as well.

And I will be fine with that cap hell down the road if the Lombardi Trophy is on display at the Ralph.

OpIv37
04-02-2015, 02:30 PM
Maybe the Bills will be in cap jail long down the road.

But it is not just for the cap. The bills will have TWO GOOD players tied up for a long time as well.

And I will be fine with that cap hell down the road if the Lombardi Trophy is on display at the Ralph.

Agreed. It will be worth it IF we win. But I don't see how that's gonna happen with the QB and OL situations.

better days
04-02-2015, 02:43 PM
Agreed. It will be worth it IF we win. But I don't see how that's gonna happen with the QB and OL situations.

Both the QB & OL will have to be MUCH better than last year.

But the Bills have time to work on both.

Mace
04-02-2015, 05:11 PM
I'll sit back and see what we have come summer with this team, in regards to QB, OL, schemes and any other questions (which all teams have this time of year). Etching things in stone during the spring is a waste of breath.

I'll give Roman a chance to get this O going, since it sucked quite often last year. With all the positive additions, hope isn't foolish. Plus I'll watch the D schemes, since many here are convinced Rex will ruin them...much like after Pettine left and we were left with Schwartz.

Get them in pads and let's see. Outside of the Pats, I'm not nearly as impressed with other teams as many are here. They ALL have their warts.

On to the draft.

I think that's what I'm falling back into.

It doesn't bother me so much this year to wait and see though for some reason I can't put a finger on. Maybe the wholesale improbable changes (Ryan, Roman, Kromer, Harvin, McCoy, Cassel even, Felton, Incognito) make me think they finally broke enough status quo to move ahead.