PDA

View Full Version : Pundits' blurb about BUF's #50 spot selection

stuckincincy
03-31-2015, 10:34 AM
On the Clock: Who should Bills pick in NFL Draft at No. 50?
By Frank Cooney | NFLDraftScout.com March 31, 2015 8:10 am ET

Ali Marpet, guard, Hobart, AJ Cann, guard, South Carolina, Garrett Grayson, quarterback, Colorado State:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25129993/on-the-clock-who-should-bills-pick-in-nfl-draft-at-no-50

better days
03-31-2015, 12:41 PM
I would like to see Grayson as the pick at 50 myself.

A Guard can be had in the 3rd rnd. Maybe even Marpet.

stuckincincy
03-31-2015, 12:42 PM
I would like to see Grayson as the pick at 50 myself.

A Guard can be had in the 3rd rnd. Maybe even Marpet.

This is the first I ever heard of Marpet. That means nothing, of course.

Ed
03-31-2015, 12:56 PM
I've read that Marpet would be better suited in a zone blocking scheme and wouldn't be a good fit on our OL.

better days
03-31-2015, 01:04 PM
This is the first I ever heard of Marpet. That means nothing, of course.

Of course you haven't heard of Marpet before.

Hobart is a D III school. That is the reason I think Marpet will be available in the 3rd rd, maybe even later than that.

But if Ed is right, the Bills won't want him anyway.

Buffalogic
03-31-2015, 01:15 PM
Let's draft Ed Wang again. That was a strange time.

X-Era
03-31-2015, 02:02 PM
Out of those 3 I'd take Cann at 50. I like other guys better though at 50.

stuckincincy
03-31-2015, 02:10 PM
Of course you haven't heard of Marpet before.

Hobart is a D III school. That is the reason I think Marpet will be available in the 3rd rd, maybe even later than that.

But if Ed is right, the Bills won't want him anyway.

Have you heard of him? Seen him play?

All these great prospects have been plucked by BUF in the lower rounds for 15 years, but so far - bupkis.

sukie
03-31-2015, 02:14 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHA AHAHAHAHHHAHAHA

Meathead
03-31-2015, 02:31 PM

and a gold mine for jokes

better days
03-31-2015, 02:58 PM
Have you heard of him? Seen him play?

All these great prospects have been plucked by BUF in the lower rounds for 15 years, but so far - bupkis.

Marpet played in the Senior Bowl & did pretty well in that game considering it was a huge jump for him as far as talent level goes of the guys he was playing against.

John Murphy was talking about him during that week of the Senior bowl.

YardRat
03-31-2015, 03:54 PM
Grayson is starting to catch steam being tied to the Bills. I'm a little itchy about taking a QB with our first pick.

Personally I would prefer DT Davis, OT Humphries or OG Jackson. Marpet doesn't interest me that much, especially at 50.

Saratoga Slim
03-31-2015, 07:44 PM
I'd like OL in the 2nd, and then I'm fine with a QB at any pick from then on. One at a time hasn't worked, I'm all for trying the volume approach.

better days
04-01-2015, 12:20 PM
Grayson is starting to catch steam being tied to the Bills. I'm a little itchy about taking a QB with our first pick.

Personally I would prefer DT Davis, OT Humphries or OG Jackson. Marpet doesn't interest me that much, especially at 50.

Just remember, you heard it here from me first.

stuckincincy
04-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Just remember, you heard it here from me first.

Heard what? Be specific.

cookie G
04-02-2015, 09:19 AM

Not sure I agree about Marpet,Yardie. It isn't just that he's some cinderella story from a D III school, he has the tools.

Looking at the numbers, sub 5 40, 1.71 10 yard split, 7.33 cone drill, 4.47 shuttle, 30 bench reps, he could be the most athletic interior OL available. Guys can get stronger, but its tough to teach athleticism. In his case, he's already pretty strong.

Those numbers aren't classified as "freakish", but they are at least, "exceptional". They compare favorably to guys like Zack Martin and Sua'-Filo last year.

As far as the level of competition, if he had looked lost during the Senior Bowl practices, I'd agree with you. But he fit right in.

As far as finding a more "plug and play" guy for the position, its becoming more easily said than done, especially in recent years. Its one of the reasons I'm a skeptical of the "we'll get our guy in the draft and he'll move right in" mantra. For many teams, it isn't happening, and that includes top prospects from the biggest schools.

The list of elite Olinemen who struggled their first year or two is pretty long:

Lane Johnson;
Kalil;
Chance Warmack;
Jonathan Cooper (even after his rookie injury);
Su'a - Filo;
Eric Fisher (ok..small school);
Jake Matthews;
Anyone from Alabama not named Fluker.

The Zack Martin's are showing to be more of the exception than the rule.

As far as getting him up to snuff on NFL competition...I can't think of a better way to get him there than going against Dareus and Kyle Williams in practice. Talk about being thrown into the fire.

Anyway...a good write up on him from MMQB

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/02/nfl-draft-ali-marpet-hobart/

He's garnered the attention from a number of teams, he had lots of visits at the Combine, I doubt he makes it til the 3rd round.

better days
04-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Heard what? Be specific.

I posted that the Bills were interested in Grayson & that he had a private workout with them.

I also said after reading what "experts" had to say about him & watching highlights of his play, I want the Bills to draft him.

YardRat
04-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Not sure I agree about Marpet,Yardie. It isn't just that he's some cinderella story from a D III school, he has the tools.

Looking at the numbers, sub 5 40, 1.71 10 yard split, 7.33 cone drill, 4.47 shuttle, 30 bench reps, he could be the most athletic interior OL available. Guys can get stronger, but its tough to teach athleticism. In his case, he's already pretty strong.

Those numbers aren't classified as "freakish", but they are at least, "exceptional". They compare favorably to guys like Zack Martin and Sua'-Filo last year.

As far as the level of competition, if he had looked lost during the Senior Bowl practices, I'd agree with you. But he fit right in.

As far as finding a more "plug and play" guy for the position, its becoming more easily said than done, especially in recent years. Its one of the reasons I'm a skeptical of the "we'll get our guy in the draft and he'll move right in" mantra. For many teams, it isn't happening, and that includes top prospects from the biggest schools.

The list of elite Olinemen who struggled their first year or two is pretty long:

Lane Johnson;
Kalil;
Chance Warmack;
Su'a - Filo;
Jake Matthews;

As far as getting him up to snuff on NFL competition...I can't think of a better way to get him there than going against Dareus and Kyle Williams in practice. Talk about being thrown into the fire.

He's garnered the attention from a number of teams, he had lots of visits at the Combine, I doubt he makes it til the 3rd round.

Fair enough. I'm not saying Marpet can't make it, I just have a natural inclination to not put too much faith in guys that have spent their college careers playing against DIII talent unless they are glaringly dominant.

stuckincincy
04-02-2015, 08:03 PM

Lane Johnson;
Kalil;
Chance Warmack;
Su'a - Filo;
Jake Matthews;

Good comments - but practice these days is soft - not much contact allowed.

better days
04-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Good comments - but practice these days is soft - not much contact allowed.

Good point. And I have heard a few football people comment that the quality of football has diminished & injuries have gone up since the new CBA came into effect because of lack of practice time & contact.