PDA

View Full Version : 3 Round Mock Draft from Joe Buscaglia

Ed
04-01-2015, 02:07 PM
I like it. OL and DL with the first two picks is pretty much what I'm expecting. I've heard people say that Jake Fisher won't be there at #50, but he has 11 OL going before our pick.

Bills Picks:

50) Bills​ - OT Jake Fisher, Oregon
- The Bills could really do anything with this pick on the offensive line. Regardless of position, Buffalo needs to add a starting caliber player for the offensive line to give Matt Cassel, EJ Manuel or Tyrod Taylor a fighting chance. Fisher makes sense for quite a few reasons. First, being a former tight end, he fits the Greg Roman type of mold for the offense as an athletic, moving lineman that can get out into space. Second, he’s versatile enough to play on the outside or the inside, which gives the Bills quite a bit of flexibility. Nothing is off the table when it comes to the offensive line this offseason.

81) Bills​ - DE Mario Edwards, Florida State
- The sneakiest need for the Bills this offseason, regardless of the talent they have starting for them at the moment, is along the defensive line. The Bills were quite fortunate in 2014 that they weren’t dealt any serious injuries to any part of the defensive line. Kyle Williams missed a little bit of time, but that was the extent of it, while Jerry Hughes and Mario Williams didn’t miss a start. Now with Rex Ryan in the fold, it would be a good idea to collect additional versatile defensive linemen so that when they switch looks from a 4-3 to a 3-4, they have someone that can bridge the gap if one of the regular starters are unavailable. That’s where Mario Edwards comes in, with the ability to play anywhere on the defensive line outside of nose tackle, and can even be a standup rusher in the 3-4 on occasion.
http://www.wkbw.com/sports/buscaglia-nfl-mock-draft-20

SpikedLemonade
04-01-2015, 02:14 PM
That works for me.

As long as the 2nd and 3rd round picks are used on OL and DL.

I would love a true NT, but good ones of those are a rare find.

YardRat
04-01-2015, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I'd be more than OK with a couple of linemen in the first two picks, and Edwards might be able to fill the void opposite Dareus on the line.

Mace
04-01-2015, 07:41 PM
That works for me.

As long as the 2nd and 3rd round picks are used on OL and DL.

I would love a true NT, but good ones of those are a rare find.

I'd be fine with an OL and a DL, but regarding DL, I think Ryan is more inclined to create role players instead of drafting them. I think one of the 2 picks will be an OL, but I'm expecting a DB at the other. He's funky and particular about getting him some DB's and never has enough. It won't upset me like it did when Jauron was stuffing his junk Tampa-2 with them.

I don't hope for a true NT though, Ryan doesn't run a true 3-4. Was reading an article about his D yet again, Jets version :

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/1/20/5327878/new-york-jets-more-nose-tackle-time-for-sheldon-richardson-an-idea

He just doesn't use two gap stuffer NT's.

More than anything, I'm expecting the unexpected I suppose. After this offseason nothing will surprise me.

YardRat
04-02-2015, 04:45 AM
According to that article, he does...At the nose tackle position, Rex Ryan does seem to favor the traditional space eating, gap filling nose tackle like Kelly Gregg, Sione Pouha, or Damon Harrison.

better days
04-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I'd be more than OK with a couple of linemen in the first two picks, and Edwards might be able to fill the void opposite Dareus on the line.

What void on the DL?

YardRat
04-02-2015, 04:22 PM
What void on the DL?

NT and DE. Two voids, actually.

Mace
04-02-2015, 04:38 PM
According to that article, he does...At the nose tackle position, Rex Ryan does seem to favor the traditional space eating, gap filling nose tackle like Kelly Gregg, Sione Pouha, or Damon Harrison.

Heh, made me laugh, I had to go reread the article. I went a little farther down through it though about the NT responsibility having more roles. The main thing stood out to me is :

in 2012 the Jets did play a 3-4 front more than any other. That, however, was only on one quarter of the plays.

And his 3-4 front is a 4-3 under per the diagrams, not traditional 3-4, so I'm not sure how much good a very part time traditional NT will do besides tell the offense something.

We'll disagree on this until we see what happens, no harm no foul, but I still think they're going to be looking for depth/rotational guys.

better days
04-03-2015, 07:54 AM
NT and DE. Two voids, actually.

Well, Marcell Dareus is 6'3" 331 LBS, Kyle Williams is 6'1" 303 LBS, Stefan Charles is 6'5" 323 LBS, Corbin Bryant is 6'4" 300 LBS.

Any of those guys could play NT in a 3-4 defense. And if Rex wants a true BIG NT, Charles & Bryant can probably both add some pounds.

Aside from Hughes 6'2" 254 LBS, the Bills have Manny Lawson 6'5" 240 LBS, Jareus Winn 6'3" 285 LBS, Mario Williams 6'6" 292 to play DE.

I really don't see any void on the DL myself.

Meathead
04-03-2015, 08:48 AM
if you merged the dna of ron edwards and mario williams youd get mario edwards

i can live with that

YardRat
04-03-2015, 04:09 PM
Well, Marcell Dareus is 6'3" 331 LBS, Kyle Williams is 6'1" 303 LBS, Stefan Charles is 6'5" 323 LBS, Corbin Bryant is 6'4" 300 LBS.

Any of those guys could play NT in a 3-4 defense. And if Rex wants a true BIG NT, Charles & Bryant can probably both add some pounds.

Aside from Hughes 6'2" 254 LBS, the Bills have Manny Lawson 6'5" 240 LBS, Jareus Winn 6'3" 285 LBS, Mario Williams 6'6" 292 to play DE.

I really don't see any void on the DL myself.

Dareus is the only member of the line that has proven he can produce at a high level in this system. KW has already proven almost the opposite. The rest are unknowns, except of course Hughes and Mario, but I doubt very much either of them will be lining up at DE on any kind of regular basis although I wouldn't completely discount seeing it in rare cases where down and distance suggest it.

Mace
04-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Dareus is the only member of the line that has proven he can produce at a high level in this system. KW has already proven almost the opposite. The rest are unknowns, except of course Hughes and Mario, but I doubt very much either of them will be lining up at DE on any kind of regular basis although I wouldn't completely discount seeing it in rare cases where down and distance suggest it.

I still think for all intents and purposes the alignment is irrelevant and you're going to be seeing Mario and Hughes playing end if not aligned as such at the snap. The defense lines up in terms of not what they mean to do when the play starts.

Kyle, well yes. But I think we're looking at an attacking defense that lives and dies by attacking. They'll get hurt on draws and quick TE reads. Flip side is no QB is going to get any pocket time and hear footsteps every play.

Thing is, regardless of how we view the philosophy, this is Rex's bread and butter, his pride and joy, he'll not misuse anyone, but use them best, it's just what he does at an amazing level of defensive competence.

I see your points but I'm still worried about the offense holding up their end of the bargain with sufficient driving ball control.

psubills62
04-04-2015, 08:44 PM
That draft has the added bonus of knowing that if Fisher busts, we could always trade him to Chip Kelly for a top DL or something.

Mario Edwards is definitely a Whaley type of pick.