• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Rex on the o-line

As far as coach Rex Ryan is concerned, there’s enough talent available for the Bills to put together a solid line, something their struggling offense – and especially their running game – lacked in 2014.

“I feel good that we have two young tackles and I’m excited to see” new offensive line coach “Aaron Kromer work with them,” Ryan said of Henderson and left tackle Cordy Glenn, who is entering his fourth season with the Bills. “Those are two guys that you’d love to see what they’re going to do. They’re pretty darn good right now. Let’s see how far they can go.
    “Both of them have phenomenal ability.”

Ryan’s predecessor, Doug Marrone, had pretty much privately decided during the middle of last season that Henderson would move to left tackle this year and Glenn likely would shift to left guard.

That still could happen, although Ryan and Kromer are first trying to sort out the situation at tackle, which includes the possibility of Henderson and Glenn trading places in order to have the team's two best players at the position on the field and take advantage of Henderson’s superior pass protection skills on the quarterback’s blind side.

I know some have lobbied to move Glenn inside, but I'm kind of surprised at the characterization of Henderson having 'superior pass protection skills' over Cordy.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: Rex on the o-line

The title of the thread threw me off. Rex being Rex, I was expecting to see an instagram of Rex actually "on" the o-line. hmph.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

More to come in the draft.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mace View Post
        The title of the thread threw me off. Rex being Rex, I was expecting to see an instagram of Rex actually "on" the o-line. hmph.
        I had my security clearance for the hot tub room revoked, so sorry, no pics.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• jimmifli
          • Nov 2006

Henderson was really bad last season. I understand that a late round pick winning and holding a starting job is rare, but he won (and held it) by default.

I don't understand the confidence.

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
            Henderson was really bad last season. I understand that a late round pick winning and holding a starting job is rare, but he won (and held it) by default.

Henderson played well for a rookie.

Guard was the position where play was BAD.

Comment

• cookie G
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
              Henderson played well for a rookie.

Guard was the position where play was BAD.
              PFF had him ranked something like 72 of 74 OT's last year.

Had a great game against Cameron Wake. Other than that...he struggled...mightily.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                • Jun 2024

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post

The current coaches' egos are such that they believe that the previous coaches were incompetent in player instruction but great in player selection.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2015, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                  • Jun 2024

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                  "But...but...but...he wasn't 73rd or 74th. The Bills are the bestest. That is why they are on my PJs...."

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                    • Sep 2012

Had a great game against Cameron Wake. Other than that...he struggled...mightily.
                    Not PFF again, ugh.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Ed
                      Dude
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                      The current coaches' egos are such that they believe that the previous coaches were incompetent in player instruction but great in player selection.
                      I don't think it's a stretch to believe that OL coaching was a big issue last year. I think we can all agree that Glenn and Wood are both good players and both seemed to regress significantly under Marrone. We've even seen Urbik and Pears play well in the past and they were terrible last year.

Kromer seems pretty legit as an established OL coach. Is it that hard to believe that Kromer and Roman can do a better job with an OL than Pat Morris and Hackett? I also don't think that the previous coaches had much to do with player selection. Marrone apparently walked out of the room when they made the trade for Watkins because he wasn't happy about it. So I doubt he had much say in selecting Kouandjio, Richardson, or Henderson. I think that's probably one of the reasons that Marrone seemed to butt heads with Whaley, because he didn't have more say in player selection. Which is probably why he also seemed to hold grudges against certain players, to stick it to Whaley.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                        • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                        I don't think it's a stretch to believe that OL coaching was a big issue last year. I think we can all agree that Glenn and Wood are both good players and both seemed to regress significantly under Marrone. We've even seen Urbik and Pears play well in the past and they were terrible last year.

Kromer seems pretty legit as an established OL coach. Is it that hard to believe that Kromer and Roman can do a better job with an OL than Pat Morris and Hackett? I also don't think that the previous coaches had much to do with player selection. Marrone apparently walked out of the room when they made the trade for Watkins because he wasn't happy about it. So I doubt he had much say in selecting Kouandjio, Richardson, or Henderson. I think that's probably one of the reasons that Marrone seemed to butt heads with Whaley, because he didn't have more say in player selection. Which is probably why he also seemed to hold grudges against certain players, to stick it to Whaley.
                        I expect this OL coaching staff will be better than last year, but I don't think a 25% improvement in coaching get this group of OL players to an average NFL OL.

I hope I am wrong.

Glenn and Wood are the only 2 players who could be part of an average NFL OL. The rest are not as is evidenced by our desperation in plucking Incognito from his couch when no other team would. Chris Williams was another act of desperation.

Comment

• cookie G
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                          Not PFF again, ugh.
                          Yeah well..you take the rankings with a grain of salt. But at least its based on watching tape.

And it pretty much confirms with what I saw last year. After he did a good job with with Cameron Wake in week 2, it was downhill from there. The dude missed ALOT of blocks, in both the run and pass game.

It was kind of like watching a QB come out of nowhere, off the bench and throw 3 TDs and 300 yards in his first game.
                          But then the rest of the season sets in and you realize how far he has to go. He looked completely lost at times.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Yeah well..you take the rankings with a grain of salt. But at least its based on watching tape.

And it pretty much confirms with what I saw last year. After he did a good job with with Cameron Wake in week 2, it was downhill from there. The dude missed ALOT of blocks, in both the run and pass game.

It was kind of like watching a QB come out of nowhere, off the bench and throw 3 TDs and 300 yards in his first game.
                            But then the rest of the season sets in and you realize how far he has to go. He looked completely lost at times.
                            He was a ROOKIE that did not have GOOD Coaching last year.

And he did not have a GOOD player playing next to him either.

I am calling BS on Henderson playing bad. Not a Pro Bowl player, but not Pears bad either.

All I remember reading last year on this board was how BAD the Guard play was.

Comment

• jimmifli
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              He was a ROOKIE that did not have GOOD Coaching last year.

And he did not have a GOOD player playing next to him either.

I am calling BS on Henderson playing bad. Not a Pro Bowl player, but not Pears bad either.

All I remember reading last year on this board was how BAD the Guard play was.
                              He was really bad. That doesn't make him a bad prospect and there were certainly mitigating factors, namely, poor coaching and playing next to (and in front of) schlubs. Unfortunately, it seems only the poor coaching has changed.

I still think he will be a good tackle, maybe even an above average LT, but if the plan is to be playing in January, he's not ready and that's a bad plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X