PDA

View Full Version : Whaley: QB drop-off in draft not as steep as believed

MidnightVoice
04-02-2015, 07:26 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/18230/doug-whaley-qb-drop-off-in-draft-not-as-steep-as-believed

In any case, it's a drop-off after Winston and Mariota. However, Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley doesn't believe the cliff is as pronounced as some believe.

"I would say that there is a drop-off. I don’t think it’s as steep as a lot of people are saying," Whaley said at the NFL owners meetings last week. "And the way the system is, with the new CBA and everything, and that position being so important, guys are going to get drafted higher. Because you might as well try to hit on a guy, and it’s not that big of a financial commitment, as in years past.

"So I think there will be a run on some guys maybe in the second and third round that are a little lower. But, again, I don’t think the drop-off is as big as a lot of people are saying."

While Winston or Mariota aren't coming to Buffalo, the anticipated second-day "run" on quarterbacks could have implications for the Bills. With a long-term need at quarterback, would Whaley take a swing on Hundley in the second round or Grayson in the third round if he felt another team could scoop either up?

I asked Whaley last week if it would be realistic to add another quarterback in the draft even as the Bills are set to enter training camp with a three-way competition among EJ Manuel, Matt Cassel and Tyrod Taylor.

"It could [be realistic]," Whaley said. "It’s one of those things the way we’ve set it up in free agency, it helps us as personnel guys, because we’re going to set the board in the truest sense because we really don’t have a need.

OpIv37
04-02-2015, 07:32 AM
Pre draft GM speak. Nothing to see here.

Night Train
04-02-2015, 07:33 AM
When it's rock bottom, it can't drop.

swiper
04-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Whaley: QB drop-off in draft not as steep as believed

ie: There are other black guys I can reach out and draft at QB after those first two.

Pinkerton Security
04-02-2015, 12:01 PM
I'll actually agree with him - I dont think Mariota or Winston are sure-fire picks by any means, not even close. This is simply my opinion but I think the gap between those 2 and the next tier (Hundley, Petty, Grayson) isn't that great at all. I dont even know if I'd want either of these guys in the top 5 IMO.

X-Era
04-02-2015, 03:08 PM
Wouldn't shock me if we spent even our 2nd rounder on a QB. I would wait until rd 3 at least but the Bills may not.

X-Era
04-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Pre draft GM speak. Nothing to see here.
Have we not been pretty transparent on our draft plans lately?

YardRat
04-02-2015, 03:27 PM
I'll actually agree with him - I dont think Mariota or Winston are sure-fire picks by any means, not even close. This is simply my opinion but I think the gap between those 2 and the next tier (Hundley, Petty, Grayson) isn't that great at all. I dont even know if I'd want either of these guys in the top 5 IMO.

I've tended to be of the same mind-set, but I'll admit I've bought into Winston being head and shoulders above the rest.

X-Era
04-02-2015, 03:48 PM
I've tended to be of the same mind-set, but I'll admit I've bought into Winston being head and shoulders above the rest.The shoulders might be above the rest but the head is below the rest.

YardRat
04-02-2015, 03:53 PM
The shoulders might be above the rest but the head is below the rest.

He's a kid. Maturity can overcome that.

better days
04-02-2015, 04:33 PM
I've tended to be of the same mind-set, but I'll admit I've bought into Winston being head and shoulders above the rest.

Aside from his off field issues, Winston's 2014 year was closer to EJ's last year than his rookie year.

As a Bucs fan I am hoping for the best from him but not expecting it.

Mace
04-02-2015, 04:40 PM
I dunno, regarding QB opinions, I'm not too sure Whaley is much of an authority at this point to take him too seriously.

X-Era
04-02-2015, 04:57 PM
I hope so for his sake

psubills62
04-02-2015, 07:59 PM
I don't think there's any question maturity overcomes that. The question is if he ever finds maturity, and it's a very legitimate question.

stuckincincy
04-02-2015, 08:08 PM
I don't think there's any question maturity overcomes that. The question is if he ever finds maturity, and it's a very legitimate question.

Youngster + football ego + previous problems + bags of cash + posse = ?

Strongman
04-02-2015, 11:03 PM
I'm reading Whaley's comments as he intends to select the BPA in this draft.

YardRat
04-03-2015, 05:05 AM

Yes, it is a legitimate question, but I'd rather take a chance on a kid with maturity issues that brings along the skill set and resume, as opposed to vice versa.

better days
04-03-2015, 07:07 AM
Yes, it is a legitimate question, but I'd rather take a chance on a kid with maturity issues that brings along the skill set and resume, as opposed to vice versa.

I would feel better about the Bucs drafting Winston if he played as well in 2014 as he did in 2013, but he didn't.