• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

The reality of the tank

Yes, previous Sabres management ****ed up by putting us in a position where we were never going to win. Yes, current ownership ****ed up by taking too long to realize that.

But the Sabres didn't write the rules. They didn't create a situation where winning earns nothing and losses earn a star player for years to come. The NHL did that (long before the current Sabres owner was involved).

All of this vitriol and criticism shouldn't be levied at the Sabres. It should be levied at the league for creating this situation. It sucks for the fans and it sucks for the players.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

Re: The reality of the tank

The only reason this is an issue is because there is a couple "generational" talents coming out in this years draft.

There is a small amount of vitrol for the fact that they have been this bad for two years. But how much better could they have been this year? 26th spot? 24th? And possibly not help out some of the kids in the process by playing them?

The system also has a cap "floor" where they have to spend a certain amount. So they get some veteran players to come in that aren't great but can show they can still play for another team next year. Also a system that is forced by the NHL.

Comment

• Dude
      that slimey ass of an ***** at the zone
      • Feb 2005

And remember, the Sabres aren't the only team doing it.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
        • Jun 2024

The Sabres are just victims right?

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
          The Sabres are just victims right?
          Victims? No. Like I said, they ****ed up and that's why they are in this situation.

They are part of a system and are playing within the rules of the system. Hence, they are neither victims nor perpetrators.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
            • Jun 2024

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
            Victims? No. Like I said, they ****ed up and that's why they are in this situation.

They are part of a system and are playing within the rules of the system. Hence, they are neither victims nor perpetrators.
            Well I'm glad you said that because I was reading elsewhere that some Sabre fans think they will be the laughing stock of the NHL if they intentionally lose for 2 years and then blow it by winning over the last 2 weeks.

It is not the last 2 weeks that will make the Sabres the laughing stock.

Adopting a 2 year tank strategy did that.

Winning some hockey games should never be scorned by a team's true fans.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

True fans understand that winning in the short term hurts us in the long term.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                • Jun 2024

True fans understand that winning in the short term hurts us in the long term.
                AND the Sabres players clearly appreciate that.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

I think the guys that get paid millions to play a game will understand, especially since they're in the business.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                    • Jan 2003

Well I'm glad you said that because I was reading elsewhere that some Sabre fans think they will be the laughing stock of the NHL if they intentionally lose for 2 years and then blow it by winning over the last 2 weeks.

It is not the last 2 weeks that will make the Sabres the laughing stock.

Adopting a 2 year tank strategy did that.

Winning some hockey games should never be scorned by a team's true fans.
                    When did they adopt a 2 year tank strategy?

While I was not scorned, I was a bit disappointed in their last two victories.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                      • Jan 2003

If it has taken till the end of the year for them to see that thier horrendous play has helped parcipitate the "tank", then maybe they shouldn't be playing hockey. As I'm sure some of them won't be anymore soon. At least not in the NHL.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                        • Jun 2024

I think the guys that get paid millions to play a game will understand, especially since they're in the business.
                        Would you say you hold this opinion of the Sabres players that was expressed by a Sabres fan?

"Yes you can blame them. They're acting like 12 year olds. Playing started from the bottom after a meaningless win in April? Come on. Wearing a playoff shirt during media interviews? That's something a 3 year old would do.

The players are being stupid. I love how people harp on character issues and just sweep this under the rug. What they're doing is seriously immature and frankly, pathetic. We as fans have endured nearly 164 games of pure trash, and they have the audacity to flat out spit in our faces like the way they are? Its idiotic. I get competing. I get wanting to win. I get doing everything you can to get a contract/job. I totally get it and that's fine. But what they're doing is just so unnecessary."

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

There's some truth to it.

I was at the game against the Capa about a month ago, where the Sabres lost 6-1. A loss to the Sabres would have hurt the Caps' playoff chances and shut up their bandwagon poseur fans in their own building. But half the team looked like they weren't even trying. They are slow, they didn't finish checks, they weren't winning battles in the corners, etc. Moulson really stood out as not giving a damn.

But now, all of a sudden they care about winning? Now, after sucking and going through the motions for 75 games, they want fan support? They want a couple of meaningless wins to stroke their egos at the expense of McEichel? Please.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                            • Jan 2003

There's some truth to it.

I was at the game against the Capa about a month ago, where the Sabres lost 6-1. A loss to the Sabres would have hurt the Caps' playoff chances and shut up their bandwagon poseur fans in their own building. But half the team looked like they weren't even trying. They are slow, they didn't finish checks, they weren't winning battles in the corners, etc. Moulson really stood out as not giving a damn.

But now, all of a sudden they care about winning? Now, after sucking and going through the motions for 75 games, they want fan support? They want a couple of meaningless wins to stroke their egos at the expense of McEichel? Please.
                            Actually, some of them might just want a couple of meaningless wins to spite fans. That won't go over too well in the future.

I'm sure it can hurt a little to the players, but they have to put it in perspective (and I would think veteran players could do that). Are there some douchebag fans? Absolutely. But the majority of the fans want them to be GOOD.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths View Post
                              Actually, some of them might just want a couple of meaningless wins to spite fans. That won't go over too well in the future.

I'm sure it can hurt a little to the players, but they have to put it in perspective (and I would think veteran players could do that). Are there some douchebag fans? Absolutely. But the majority of the fans want them to be GOOD.
                              All of the fans wanted them to be good in October and November, but they weren't. If they were, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X