PDA

View Full Version : The reality of the tank

OpIv37
04-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Yes, previous Sabres management ****ed up by putting us in a position where we were never going to win. Yes, current ownership ****ed up by taking too long to realize that.

But the Sabres didn't write the rules. They didn't create a situation where winning earns nothing and losses earn a star player for years to come. The NHL did that (long before the current Sabres owner was involved).

All of this vitriol and criticism shouldn't be levied at the Sabres. It should be levied at the league for creating this situation. It sucks for the fans and it sucks for the players.

chernobylwraiths
04-02-2015, 09:28 AM
The only reason this is an issue is because there is a couple "generational" talents coming out in this years draft.

There is a small amount of vitrol for the fact that they have been this bad for two years. But how much better could they have been this year? 26th spot? 24th? And possibly not help out some of the kids in the process by playing them?

The system also has a cap "floor" where they have to spend a certain amount. So they get some veteran players to come in that aren't great but can show they can still play for another team next year. Also a system that is forced by the NHL.

Dude
And remember, the Sabres aren't the only team doing it.

SpikedLemonade
The Sabres are just victims right?

OpIv37
04-02-2015, 09:39 AM
The Sabres are just victims right?

Victims? No. Like I said, they ****ed up and that's why they are in this situation.

They are part of a system and are playing within the rules of the system. Hence, they are neither victims nor perpetrators.

SpikedLemonade
04-02-2015, 09:47 AM
Victims? No. Like I said, they ****ed up and that's why they are in this situation.

They are part of a system and are playing within the rules of the system. Hence, they are neither victims nor perpetrators.

Well I'm glad you said that because I was reading elsewhere that some Sabre fans think they will be the laughing stock of the NHL if they intentionally lose for 2 years and then blow it by winning over the last 2 weeks.

It is not the last 2 weeks that will make the Sabres the laughing stock.

Adopting a 2 year tank strategy did that.

Winning some hockey games should never be scorned by a team's true fans.

OpIv37
04-02-2015, 09:49 AM
True fans understand that winning in the short term hurts us in the long term.

SpikedLemonade
04-02-2015, 09:51 AM
True fans understand that winning in the short term hurts us in the long term.

AND the Sabres players clearly appreciate that.

OpIv37
04-02-2015, 10:04 AM

I think the guys that get paid millions to play a game will understand, especially since they're in the business.

chernobylwraiths
04-02-2015, 10:12 AM
Well I'm glad you said that because I was reading elsewhere that some Sabre fans think they will be the laughing stock of the NHL if they intentionally lose for 2 years and then blow it by winning over the last 2 weeks.

It is not the last 2 weeks that will make the Sabres the laughing stock.

Adopting a 2 year tank strategy did that.

Winning some hockey games should never be scorned by a team's true fans.

When did they adopt a 2 year tank strategy?

While I was not scorned, I was a bit disappointed in their last two victories.

chernobylwraiths
04-02-2015, 10:15 AM

If it has taken till the end of the year for them to see that thier horrendous play has helped parcipitate the "tank", then maybe they shouldn't be playing hockey. As I'm sure some of them won't be anymore soon. At least not in the NHL.

SpikedLemonade
04-02-2015, 10:31 AM
I think the guys that get paid millions to play a game will understand, especially since they're in the business.

Would you say you hold this opinion of the Sabres players that was expressed by a Sabres fan?

"Yes you can blame them. They're acting like 12 year olds. Playing started from the bottom after a meaningless win in April? Come on. Wearing a playoff shirt during media interviews? That's something a 3 year old would do.

The players are being stupid. I love how people harp on character issues and just sweep this under the rug. What they're doing is seriously immature and frankly, pathetic. We as fans have endured nearly 164 games of pure trash, and they have the audacity to flat out spit in our faces like the way they are? Its idiotic. I get competing. I get wanting to win. I get doing everything you can to get a contract/job. I totally get it and that's fine. But what they're doing is just so unnecessary."

OpIv37
04-02-2015, 10:42 AM
There's some truth to it.

I was at the game against the Capa about a month ago, where the Sabres lost 6-1. A loss to the Sabres would have hurt the Caps' playoff chances and shut up their bandwagon poseur fans in their own building. But half the team looked like they weren't even trying. They are slow, they didn't finish checks, they weren't winning battles in the corners, etc. Moulson really stood out as not giving a damn.

But now, all of a sudden they care about winning? Now, after sucking and going through the motions for 75 games, they want fan support? They want a couple of meaningless wins to stroke their egos at the expense of McEichel? Please.

chernobylwraiths
04-02-2015, 10:48 AM
There's some truth to it.

I was at the game against the Capa about a month ago, where the Sabres lost 6-1. A loss to the Sabres would have hurt the Caps' playoff chances and shut up their bandwagon poseur fans in their own building. But half the team looked like they weren't even trying. They are slow, they didn't finish checks, they weren't winning battles in the corners, etc. Moulson really stood out as not giving a damn.

But now, all of a sudden they care about winning? Now, after sucking and going through the motions for 75 games, they want fan support? They want a couple of meaningless wins to stroke their egos at the expense of McEichel? Please.

Actually, some of them might just want a couple of meaningless wins to spite fans. That won't go over too well in the future.

I'm sure it can hurt a little to the players, but they have to put it in perspective (and I would think veteran players could do that). Are there some douchebag fans? Absolutely. But the majority of the fans want them to be GOOD.

OpIv37
04-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Actually, some of them might just want a couple of meaningless wins to spite fans. That won't go over too well in the future.

I'm sure it can hurt a little to the players, but they have to put it in perspective (and I would think veteran players could do that). Are there some douchebag fans? Absolutely. But the majority of the fans want them to be GOOD.
All of the fans wanted them to be good in October and November, but they weren't. If they were, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

casdhf
04-02-2015, 12:25 PM
It would be ironic if we finished 29th and won the lottery. Lots of heads would explode.

trapezeus
04-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Yes, previous Sabres management ****ed up by putting us in a position where we were never going to win. Yes, current ownership ****ed up by taking too long to realize that.

But the Sabres didn't write the rules. They didn't create a situation where winning earns nothing and losses earn a star player for years to come. The NHL did that (long before the current Sabres owner was involved).

There is no reason for criticism at all. it does not happen regularly, and any tweaks to the current system will create a world where bad teams will pay big contracts to average players to help generate excitement.

Do you think a league with 2 strikes in 10 years wants in any shape to promote more ville Leino contracts? that's what gets the cap all screwed up in the first place.

the current system has turned bad teams like hte isle, the penguins and blackhawks into very good teams. they keep the risk that teams like edmonton can't make a habit of it.

it works the way it is. its simply butt hurt fans and GM's who weren't in a situation to have a bad team this year complaining.
All of this vitriol and criticism shouldn't be levied at the Sabres. It should be levied at the league for creating this situation. It sucks for the fans and it sucks for the players.

Skooby
04-02-2015, 03:47 PM
Guys, we beat a team that was tired from traveling and the leafs who we own at home. We will be lucky to win outside of Carolina, I also think AZ is good for 3 points or more. We will be last and the league will hand AZ the #1 pick, it's the only thing that might save their franchise. They don't have a bunch in the hopper like the Sabres, more like dead in the water.

YardRat
04-02-2015, 03:52 PM
If the league is going to hand anybody the lottery, it will probably be Toronto.

SpikedLemonade
04-02-2015, 04:01 PM
If the league is going to hand anybody the lottery, it will probably be Toronto.

Wouldn't that be great?

The Canadian McDavid in Toronto and the American Eichel in Buffalo.

Great personal rivalry in WNY and SWO.

YardRat
04-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Wouldn't that be great?

From a rigging perspective, it certainly makes the most sense.

Skooby
04-02-2015, 09:21 PM
Wouldn't that be great?

I doubt it, Toronto needs fans like a hole in the head.

SpikedLemonade
04-02-2015, 09:23 PM
I doubt it, Toronto needs fans like a hole in the head.

I thought Buffalo was the Mecca of Hockey.

They need fans?

Skooby
04-02-2015, 09:34 PM
I thought Buffalo was the Mecca of Hockey.

They need fans?

Get a life, you're a nobody here in the Sabres world. Why they allow you to douche here is beyond me, seriously find a new hobby.

SpikedLemonade
04-02-2015, 09:37 PM
F U

Skooby
04-02-2015, 09:51 PM
F U

Ditto, you're a wannabe grub sucking **** for a taste. We will give you a drip soon for you to enjoy.

YardRat
04-03-2015, 05:09 AM
I really hope for Sabre's fan's sake that whoever they end up with doesn't turn out to be the NHL's version of Tim Couch, David Carr or Tony Mandarich.