Bills Drafting A Running Back In The 2nd or 3rd Round? Crazy or Smart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Bills Drafting A Running Back In The 2nd or 3rd Round? Crazy or Smart?

Why do I have the feeling that the Bills are going to draft a running back in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft?

The Coach just basically said he's good to go with the o-line talent he has to work with.

Was that a subtle way of saying they're not drafting an offensive lineman early?

Best player available on the board regardless of position could be a running back in the 2nd round.

Why a running back? LeSean McCoy just signed a big contract and he's going to be the Bills go to guy this year, so how does that make any sense?

Who do the Bills have behind McCoy? Uh...

Fred Jackson can't be expected to carry the load if McCoy goes down for the season.

Rex Ryan recently said that he didn't remember names of players who fumble, which was a huge jab at Bryce Brown (and Doug Whaley).

Boobie Dixon is okay, as a backup. He's not the kind of running back that can come in and take over a game though.

Ryan is all about the power running game. How can the Bills be a power running team with only 1 player capable of filling that role?

Freddy, Boobie and Brown are decent backups, but they're nowhere near McCoy. What if McCoy goes down for 8 weeks?

If LeSean McCoy gets hit with the injury bug, or shows signs of wear and tear, how in the hell can the Bills be a power running team with a 5th or 6th round rookie running back?

You don't base your entire offense around 1 really good player without a really good backup plan.

If the Bills can't run the ball like they want to in 2015, the whole plan gets blown up quicker than Ndamukong Suh.

I can already hear defensive coordinators saying, "If we get McCoy out of the game, they're done."
    Last edited by BillsImpossible; 04-02-2015, 06:52 PM.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Bills Drafting A Running Back In The 2nd or 3rd Round? Crazy or Smart?

Defensive coordinators are more likely to say "Their offensive line sucks, don't worry about McCoy".

That being said, prior to trading for Shady I would think grabbing a RB in the second or third would have been a smart move, and was an advocate of it in my initial attempt at a mock. Post-trade, the acquisition tipped the scale to the crazy side, if not outright stupid. Wasted resources, somewhere in the equation.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

My feeling is long snapper, then a punter.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• BillsImpossible
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        Defensive coordinators are more likely to say "Their offensive line sucks, don't worry about McCoy".

That being said, prior to trading for Shady I would think grabbing a RB in the second or third would have been a smart move, and was an advocate of it in my initial attempt at a mock. Post-trade, the acquisition tipped the scale to the crazy side, if not outright stupid. Wasted resources, somewhere in the equation.
        If Shady gets hurt, who's your running back then?

The entire offense is based on running the ball.

Who spells Shady when Shady needs a rest?

The Bills don't have that player.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Jackson, Brown and Dixon can spell Shady when he needs a rest. How much do you want to invest in one position?
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
            • Jun 2024

Just plain stupid.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
              Jackson, Brown and Dixon can spell Shady when he needs a rest. How much do you want to invest in one position?
              That's a big reach. I honestly do not think that any one of those players can step in and produce like McCoy.

Invest? Rookie running backs in the 2nd or 3rd round cost less than veterans.

This coaching staff (rumor has it) wanted to let Fred Jackson go about a month ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
              Just plain stupid.
              I hate Depends, I prefer Pampers.
              Last edited by BillsImpossible; 04-02-2015, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                Just plain stupid.
                Speaking of #2, who's your #2 running back?
                Last edited by BillsImpossible; 04-02-2015, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                  That's a big reach. I honestly do not think that any one of those players can step in and produce like McCoy.

Invest? Rookie running backs in the 2nd or 3rd round cost less than veterans.

This coaching staff (rumor has it) wanted to let Fred Jackson go about a month ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I hate Depends.
                  If it's a big reach to expect any of them to be able to spell Shady, than you might as well cut all three right now and fill their spots with draft picks and UDFA's. Who needs linemen anyway?
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                    • Mar 2013

Don't try to change the subject, YardRat.

Who's your #2 running back for the Bills?

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

If the Bills draft RB in the2nd or 3rd, I'm getting a new phone and a new tv the next day because I will throw my ****ing phone through the ****ing tv screen. And probably break a lot of other **** too.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                        • Mar 2013

All I'm asking is who's number 2, and all I get is crap.

Predictable as tomorrow morning.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

#2 RB doesn't matter without an OL. Neither does #1.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

If you think I'm changing the subject, you're struggling following your own thread.

My #2 coming off the bench to spell Shady right now is Jackson, depending on the exact situation of the game, but generally speaking. Dixon for change of pace and the occasional series of downs. Brown will probably be relegated to inactive again barring injury, and that's assuming they even keep four this season which isn't a given.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                              If the Bills draft RB in the2nd or 3rd, I'm getting a new phone and a new tv the next day because I will throw my ****ing phone through the ****ing tv screen. And probably break a lot of other **** too.
                              Tantrum's are great, but answer the question!

Who's your #2 RB, OpIv37?

Comment

Working...
                              X