• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

Ted Nolan

For as much as I hate this guy right now, he has earned the right to coach this team again next year. He was handed a turd of a roster at the beginning of the year. At the trade deadline, any remaining tradeable talent was flushed... including our two goalies.

From a talent stand point, we have back-up goalies, a serviceable (albeit young) NHL caliber defensive core, one or two second line caliber forwards, a few third line caliber forwards and AHL caliber forwards rounding things out.

Although the record doesn't show it, they r playing hockey as a team and fighting to the end... even if I hate with every last ounce that I have that they are.

lets say we luck out (which I don't think we will) and get the 2nd overall pick... I'd like to see what Nolan can do with Eichel, Girgensons, Kane, ROR and a key free agent or two added to the current mix.
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Ted Nolan

Worst team in the league stastically & we have beaten Elkie scrub teams as of late, let's not mistake the reality here.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
      • Aug 2012

if the sabres can land a big name coach, then nolan who? if they cant? meh.
      Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• Dr. Who
        • Jul 2002

If he costs us McEichel, good bye . . .

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

He hasn't really been on the same page as the GM
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• coastal
            Legendary Zoner
            • Mar 2005

The GM is tanking. What is he supposed to do?

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by coastal View Post
              The GM is tanking. What is he supposed to do?
              i wouldnt disagree for a second that nolan was handed the keys to a geo metro and told to go run the indy 500. and i wont disagree that nolan demands max effort and loves dirty work to win games. problem is, you cant win games based on just doing the dirty work the best anymore. and he doesnt have hasek in his net at the apex of his dominance. nolan clearly lacks the coaching ability to reach skill players, or utilize skill players.

that coaching style may work for a short stretch of games, in a tournament setting, say the olympics, but over the grind of a full NHL season? i dont see it. the sabres are going to need to be a more rounded team, and im not sure nolan is up to the task to get full potential out of a rounded team.

and maybe coaches have to evolve too, and nolan will evolve with that experience and having a good group of players play for under him. he probably will never get that chance. but one has to believe that theres a reason nolan has been out of the game for long stretches....

i dont know. gimme lindy ruff back.
              Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• Dude
                that slimey ass of an ***** at the zone
                • Feb 2005

You don't give up the chance for a top-tier coach because Nolan was thrust into a ****ty situation.

Comment

• coastal
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
                  i wouldnt disagree for a second that nolan was handed the keys to a geo metro and told to go run the indy 500. and i wont disagree that nolan demands max effort and loves dirty work to win games. problem is, you cant win games based on just doing the dirty work the best anymore. and he doesnt have hasek in his net at the apex of his dominance. nolan clearly lacks the coaching ability to reach skill players, or utilize skill players.

that coaching style may work for a short stretch of games, in a tournament setting, say the olympics, but over the grind of a full NHL season? i dont see it. the sabres are going to need to be a more rounded team, and im not sure nolan is up to the task to get full potential out of a rounded team.

and maybe coaches have to evolve too, and nolan will evolve with that experience and having a good group of players play for under him. he probably will never get that chance. but one has to believe that theres a reason nolan has been out of the game for long stretches....

i dont know. gimme lindy ruff back.
                  How do you know he can't coach skill players?

outside of Hasek... when has had one?

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                    • Aug 2012

How do you know he can't coach skill players?

outside of Hasek... when has had one?
                    well, you wont want to hear this... but hodgson?

the only skill player that has actually improved under him, in my opinion, is ennis. throw some talent around ennis, and i think we got something in him.
                    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                      Worst team in the league stastically & we have beaten Elkie scrub teams as of late, let's not mistake the reality here.
                      they also almost beat the hawks. the reality is, this team is playing and playing hard. and at this point of the season, thats a dangerous combo. lets not pretend that the sabres lead is huge. its not. overconfidence will bite you in the ass, so lets chill on that.
                      Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• coastal
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Mar 2005

well, you wont want to hear this... but hodgson.
                        LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

if only Cody had Mike Babcock... he'd be a household regular by now!?

LOLLLOLOLOLOLO!

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                          • Aug 2012

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

if only Cody had Mike Babcock... he'd be a household regular by now!?

LOLLLOLOLOLOLO!
                          dont ass talk. hodgson was a productive player up until this year. hodgsons struggles certainly could hint to the nolan not being able to successfully coach skilled players, along with other factors.
                          Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• coastal
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Mar 2005

dont ass talk. hodgson was a productive player up until this year. hodgsons struggles certainly could hint to the nolan not being able to successfully coach skilled players, along with other factors.
                            How about Cody Hodgson isn't skilled....

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                              • Aug 2012

furthermore, what has nolan done to earn another season? he was brought back from the dead to coach in the NHL for 1 1/2 additional seasons more then he should have had. the man should be happy just to be given that job, it was a gift. nothing more. they gave him the job to occupy time for the franchise.

this isnt the make-a-wish foundation. you dont keep a head coach in there out of pity because he was given the keys to a bad team, but didnt earn the keys in the first place.

if nothing else was available, sure. keep him another year. but if the sabres pass over a good head coach or good candidate just because it makes a few fans feel good, thats detrimental to the franchise. nolan did his job.
                              Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

Working...
                              X