PDA

View Full Version : Ted Nolan

coastal
04-04-2015, 10:23 AM
For as much as I hate this guy right now, he has earned the right to coach this team again next year. He was handed a turd of a roster at the beginning of the year. At the trade deadline, any remaining tradeable talent was flushed... including our two goalies.

From a talent stand point, we have back-up goalies, a serviceable (albeit young) NHL caliber defensive core, one or two second line caliber forwards, a few third line caliber forwards and AHL caliber forwards rounding things out.

Although the record doesn't show it, they r playing hockey as a team and fighting to the end... even if I hate with every last ounce that I have that they are.

lets say we luck out (which I don't think we will) and get the 2nd overall pick... I'd like to see what Nolan can do with Eichel, Girgensons, Kane, ROR and a key free agent or two added to the current mix.

Skooby
04-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Worst team in the league stastically & we have beaten Elkie scrub teams as of late, let's not mistake the reality here.

JATMtheJATM
04-04-2015, 11:40 AM
if the sabres can land a big name coach, then nolan who? if they cant? meh.

Dr. Who
04-04-2015, 11:43 AM
If he costs us McEichel, good bye . . .

casdhf
04-04-2015, 01:38 PM
He hasn't really been on the same page as the GM

coastal
04-04-2015, 01:45 PM
The GM is tanking. What is he supposed to do?

JATMtheJATM
04-04-2015, 01:59 PM
The GM is tanking. What is he supposed to do?

i wouldnt disagree for a second that nolan was handed the keys to a geo metro and told to go run the indy 500. and i wont disagree that nolan demands max effort and loves dirty work to win games. problem is, you cant win games based on just doing the dirty work the best anymore. and he doesnt have hasek in his net at the apex of his dominance. nolan clearly lacks the coaching ability to reach skill players, or utilize skill players.

that coaching style may work for a short stretch of games, in a tournament setting, say the olympics, but over the grind of a full NHL season? i dont see it. the sabres are going to need to be a more rounded team, and im not sure nolan is up to the task to get full potential out of a rounded team.

and maybe coaches have to evolve too, and nolan will evolve with that experience and having a good group of players play for under him. he probably will never get that chance. but one has to believe that theres a reason nolan has been out of the game for long stretches....

i dont know. gimme lindy ruff back.

Dude
04-04-2015, 02:02 PM
You don't give up the chance for a top-tier coach because Nolan was thrust into a ****ty situation.

coastal
04-04-2015, 02:26 PM
i wouldnt disagree for a second that nolan was handed the keys to a geo metro and told to go run the indy 500. and i wont disagree that nolan demands max effort and loves dirty work to win games. problem is, you cant win games based on just doing the dirty work the best anymore. and he doesnt have hasek in his net at the apex of his dominance. nolan clearly lacks the coaching ability to reach skill players, or utilize skill players.

that coaching style may work for a short stretch of games, in a tournament setting, say the olympics, but over the grind of a full NHL season? i dont see it. the sabres are going to need to be a more rounded team, and im not sure nolan is up to the task to get full potential out of a rounded team.

and maybe coaches have to evolve too, and nolan will evolve with that experience and having a good group of players play for under him. he probably will never get that chance. but one has to believe that theres a reason nolan has been out of the game for long stretches....

i dont know. gimme lindy ruff back.
How do you know he can't coach skill players?

outside of Hasek... when has had one?

JATMtheJATM
04-04-2015, 02:43 PM
How do you know he can't coach skill players?

outside of Hasek... when has had one?

well, you wont want to hear this... but hodgson?

the only skill player that has actually improved under him, in my opinion, is ennis. throw some talent around ennis, and i think we got something in him.

JATMtheJATM
04-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Worst team in the league stastically & we have beaten Elkie scrub teams as of late, let's not mistake the reality here.

they also almost beat the hawks. the reality is, this team is playing and playing hard. and at this point of the season, thats a dangerous combo. lets not pretend that the sabres lead is huge. its not. overconfidence will bite you in the ass, so lets chill on that.

coastal
04-04-2015, 02:56 PM
well, you wont want to hear this... but hodgson.LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

if only Cody had Mike Babcock... he'd be a household regular by now!?

LOLLLOLOLOLOLO!

JATMtheJATM
04-04-2015, 03:26 PM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

if only Cody had Mike Babcock... he'd be a household regular by now!?

LOLLLOLOLOLOLO!

dont ass talk. hodgson was a productive player up until this year. hodgsons struggles certainly could hint to the nolan not being able to successfully coach skilled players, along with other factors.

coastal
04-04-2015, 03:30 PM
dont ass talk. hodgson was a productive player up until this year. hodgsons struggles certainly could hint to the nolan not being able to successfully coach skilled players, along with other factors.
How about Cody Hodgson isn't skilled....

JATMtheJATM
04-04-2015, 03:34 PM
furthermore, what has nolan done to earn another season? he was brought back from the dead to coach in the NHL for 1 1/2 additional seasons more then he should have had. the man should be happy just to be given that job, it was a gift. nothing more. they gave him the job to occupy time for the franchise.

this isnt the make-a-wish foundation. you dont keep a head coach in there out of pity because he was given the keys to a bad team, but didnt earn the keys in the first place.

if nothing else was available, sure. keep him another year. but if the sabres pass over a good head coach or good candidate just because it makes a few fans feel good, thats detrimental to the franchise. nolan did his job.

JATMtheJATM
04-04-2015, 03:36 PM

well, i would just chalk that up as another one of your exaggerated statements you sometimes make when you dislike a player.

coastal
04-04-2015, 03:42 PM
well, i would just chalk that up as another one of your exaggerated statements you sometimes make when you dislike a player.
Dude we both watch him play. He's just not a good hockey player

JATMtheJATM
04-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Dude we both watch him play. He's just not a good hockey player

this year, i fully agree. hes been ****. up till this year, he has been productive, and yes, has alot of skill. now, if you want to talk about his effort, or lack there of, theres a discussion we would find lots of common ground on.

and come on, we all know when you hate a player, you downplay everything about them. remember before myers won you over? or when you declared ennis an AHL player?

we both want the same thing. and the sabres arent going to win a cup under nolan. if you can move forward and improve in that area, you do it. i think thats the rational thing to do. dont just keep him as a favor for him coaching a bad team.

coastal
04-04-2015, 03:51 PM
furthermore, what has nolan done to earn another season? he was brought back from the dead to coach in the NHL for 1 1/2 additional seasons more then he should have had. the man should be happy just to be given that job, it was a gift. nothing more. they gave him the job to occupy time for the franchise.

this isnt the make-a-wish foundation. you dont keep a head coach in there out of pity because he was given the keys to a bad team, but didnt earn the keys in the first place.

if nothing else was available, sure. keep him another year. but if the sabres pass over a good head coach or good candidate just because it makes a few fans feel good, thats detrimental to the franchise. nolan did his job.good lord man.

this team is playing great hockey... battling.... he has them bought into the program.

that is the coaches job.

coastal
04-04-2015, 03:53 PM
this year, i fully agree. hes been ****. up till this year, he has been productive, and yes, has alot of skill. now, if you want to talk about his effort, or lack there of, theres a discussion we would find lots of common ground on.

and come on, we all know when you hate a player, you downplay everything about them. remember before myers won you over? or when you declared ennis an AHL player?

we both want the same thing. and the sabres arent going to win a cup under nolan. if you can move forward and improve in that area, you do it. i think thats the rational thing to do. dont just keep him as a favor for him coaching a bad team.
Aside from some above average hands what is skillful about Hodgson? Is he a skilled skater? can play in the dirty areas? exceptional vision? elite shot?

what about his game is skilled?

JATMtheJATM
04-04-2015, 04:01 PM
Aside from some above average hands what is skillful about Hodgson? Is he a skilled skater? can play in the dirty areas? exceptional vision? elite shot?

what about his game is skilled?

has a good shot, good hands, good passing skills. he supposedly sees the game very well too, offensively. (though no evidence of this this season) hes average skating. hes a guy that has the skill to get you 50-60 points in a season. and up till this season, that looked like an obtainable goal. now the question is, if this is just a bad season, or the start of his decline?

- - - Updated - - -

good lord man.

this team is playing great hockey... battling.... he has them bought into the program.

that is the coaches job.

in what? the past week or so? they should have bought in alot earlier then this.

coastal
04-04-2015, 04:03 PM
has a good shot, good hands, good passing skills. he supposedly sees the game very well too, offensively. (though no evidence of this this season) hes average skating. hes a guy that has the skill to get you 50-60 points in a season. and up till this season, that looked like an obtainable goal. now the question is, if this is just a bad season, or the start of his decline?

- - - Updated - - -

in what? the past week or so? they should have bought in alot earlier then this.
And u wonder why spiked and flo troll this forum.

no where but in Buffalo does someone view Cody Hodgson as skilled

JATMtheJATM
04-04-2015, 04:07 PM
And u wonder why spiked and flo troll this forum.

right, same as ennis is a minor leaguer.

coastal
04-04-2015, 04:11 PM
right, same as ennis is a minor leaguer.
Nothing more than pettiness. I've had my mea culpa moment with him.

funny though... who has really helped him develop?

oh that's right... Nolan.

JATMtheJATM
04-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Nothing more than pettiness. I've had my mea culpa moment with him.

funny though... who has really helped him develop?

oh that's right... Nolan.
And I'll give him credit for that.

SpikedLemonade
04-04-2015, 05:52 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Juh7Xh_70

Dr. Lecter
04-05-2015, 07:25 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7xxgRUyzgs0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

coastal
04-05-2015, 07:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Juh7Xh_70
That has to be some of the funniest sh1t I've ever seen.

Theres wheelies in there... but my favorite was the two dudes in the back who looked like they were going to have a dance off but cooler heads prevailed and they danced together.

lolololol

Dr. Lecter
04-05-2015, 07:33 AM
So he gets credit for them playing hard now, but it wasn't his fault they were slacking earlier in the year? That makes no sense, Whatsoever.

The fact is, he has a worse winning percentage than Ron Rolston did. The fact is he has been the coach for two teams that have been historically bad. Was he handed a crap roster? Absolutely. BUt let's not get all excited over this team playing well against the Coyotes and Leafs. They can look great against those teams and that's it.

In the meantime, he has mismanaged guys like Larssonand put players like Reinhart in a position where they can't succeed. The guy's not a very good coach. What he can do is take sub par talent and get something out of them, mostly because his style of hockey is clang and bang. He has shown nothing to indicate that he can make a team with skill and talent succeed.

If he loses this job, he won't get a sniff of another NHL job.

coastal
04-05-2015, 07:36 AM
So he gets credit for them playing hard now, but it wasn't his fault they were slacking earlier in the year? That makes no sense, Whatsoever.

The fact is, he has a worse winning percentage than Ron Rolston did. The fact is he has been the coach for two teams that have been historically bad. Was he handed a crap roster? Absolutely. BUt let's not get all excited over this team playing well against the Coyotes and Leafs. They can look great against those teams and that's it.

In the meantime, he has mismanaged guys like Larssonand put players like Reinhart in a position where they can't succeed. The guy's not a very good coach. What he can do is take sub par talent and get something out of them, mostly because his style of hockey is clang and bang. He has shown nothing to indicate that he can make a team with skill and talent succeed.

If he loses this job, he won't get a sniff of another NHL job.if u ever won the lotto and were able to get married, you'd be nervous that he's the kind of guy who'd be banging your wife.

so your opinion doesn't count here.

swiper
04-05-2015, 08:53 AM

Quit while you're ahead.

Hodgson was NEVER a productive player. Period. End of discussion.

Dr. Lecter
04-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Quit while you're ahead.

I'm not a fan of his, but he did score 20 last year. On that team, he was productive.

coastal
04-05-2015, 09:24 AM
I'm not a fan of his, but he did score 20 last year. On that team, he was productive.stop

Skooby
04-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Ted needs to go, we're like last in every relevant stat. As a whole, we're dead last and in last by enough.

swiper
04-05-2015, 11:29 AM
I'm not a fan of his, but he did score 20 last year. On that team, he was productive.

Please. Stop.

DetDannyWilliams
04-05-2015, 11:35 AM

He scored 17G last season, so put that in your pipe and smoke it!

JATMtheJATM
04-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Quit while you're ahead.

Didn't he lead the team in points last year? And have 34 points in the lockout shortened season? Yeah, that's production.

JATMtheJATM
04-05-2015, 09:45 PM
He scored 17G last season, so put that in your pipe and smoke it!

he had 20.

swiper
04-06-2015, 03:22 AM
Didn't he lead the team in points last year? And have 34 points in the lockout shortened season? Yeah, that's production.

Wasn't that an epic lousy team? Yeah.

And wasn't he given every opportunity to shine and he didn't? Yeah.

And was he constantly criticized and eventually yanked and demoted? Yeah.

swiper
04-06-2015, 03:24 AM
he had 20.

A 20 goal season is his ceiling. You want to get all warm and smarmy over that? That's Jochen Hecht at his best. LOL.

chernobylwraiths
04-06-2015, 10:25 AM
A 20 goal season is his ceiling. You want to get all warm and smarmy over that? That's Jochen Hecht at his best. LOL.

Jochen could play defense.

chernobylwraiths
04-06-2015, 10:30 AM

If he loses this job, he won't get a sniff of another NHL job.

Wait, so we blame Nolan for Reinhart being sent back to junior and Larsoon being sent back to the minors? Reinhart was out of his depth at the beginning of the year and he showed. He would probably not be playing well if he stayed the whole season. Grigorenko anyone? And Larsson did almost nothing in his earlier stints. Heard somewhere, maybe GR550 that Larsson *****ed about not getting a chance when he got back down to Rochester and it was Ellis who talked to him and told him what he needed to do (which was exactly what Nolan was telling him to do) shut up and work and don't act entitled. He has been playing very well down the stretch.

Isn't that how young players learn and get better, by working at it and proving themselves?

swiper
04-06-2015, 11:22 AM
Jochen could play defense.

At least he offered that. Hodgson offers no redeeming qualities at the pro level.

JATMtheJATM
04-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Wasn't that an epic lousy team? Yeah.

And wasn't he given every opportunity to shine and he didn't? Yeah.

And was he constantly criticized and eventually yanked and demoted? Yeah.

you seem to be backtracking away from your original point. doesnt matter what the circumstance around his production is. he was a productive NHL player up until this year. and given that he just turned 25, its also within the realm of possibility that hes simply having a bad season. he wouldnt be the first to have one of those.

coastal
04-06-2015, 11:59 AM
you seem to be backtracking away from your original point. doesnt matter what the circumstance around his production is. he was a productive NHL player up until this year. and given that he just turned 25, its also within the realm of possibility that hes simply having a bad season. he wouldnt be the first to have one of those.so what? He scored 20 goals. BFD!!!!

care to explain how his game is any different than Leino's at this point?

JATMtheJATM
04-06-2015, 12:03 PM
so what? He scored 20 goals. BFD!!!!

care to explain how his game is any different than Leino's at this point?

on a team struggling to score, 20 goals is a good clip. hes having one horrid season. i dont see anyone disagreeing with that. now people are getting all emotional about it and trying to rewrite the past.

trapezeus
04-06-2015, 12:40 PM
i think nolan is good with youngsters and i think he turned around a really aimless team in January and February. as hard as it is to believe, they are gelling and they need some skill to come forward. and they are going to get that in FA and the draft. i also think irbe has coached all 500 goalies fairly well.

i think giving up on nolan now seems misguided. it's an incredibly young roster, and the sense from most articles is that the players aren't against him. they are responding to how he coaches.

the confidence is building one way or the other.

and from the practicality standpoint, why sign nolan to a three year deal and let him go the next year. he'll have done what was asked which is to get end up at the bottom but build the culture. murray signed the extension so even though he isn't a murray picked guy, murray has given him some blessing.

i get the allure of a babcock or another big name coach, but i think we are on the right track and our depth is so young that it plays right into nolan's strength.

JATMtheJATM
04-06-2015, 12:49 PM
i think nolan is good with youngsters and i think he turned around a really aimless team in January and February. as hard as it is to believe, they are gelling and they need some skill to come forward. and they are going to get that in FA and the draft. i also think irbe has coached all 500 goalies fairly well.

i think giving up on nolan now seems misguided. it's an incredibly young roster, and the sense from most articles is that the players aren't against him. they are responding to how he coaches.

the confidence is building one way or the other.

and from the practicality standpoint, why sign nolan to a three year deal and let him go the next year. he'll have done what was asked which is to get end up at the bottom but build the culture. murray signed the extension so even though he isn't a murray picked guy, murray has given him some blessing.

i get the allure of a babcock or another big name coach, but i think we are on the right track and our depth is so young that it plays right into nolan's strength.

my biggest hurdle to climb with nolan is he still coaches like the game is still in late 90s. where a team could be successful playing a certain style, and not more rounded or complete.

coastal
04-06-2015, 12:57 PM
my biggest hurdle to climb with nolan is he still coaches like the game is still in late 90s. where a team could be successful playing a certain style, and not more rounded or complete.
How so?

JATMtheJATM
04-06-2015, 01:39 PM
How so?

the late 90s sabres survived on being the hardest working team willing to do the dirty work and lean on hasek. and it worked. they could get away with not having any real skill. i see the sabres somewhat playing the same style. nolan demanding hard work (thats good!) and do the dirtywork (again, good!) but not work on the skill aspect. maybe its because the skill isnt there in high numbers and hes working with what he has, but i get the feeling that nolan thinks he can survive on what worked in the 90s. thats just how i feel.

look at the 05-07 sabres. ruff was able to run out 4 lines that score and play gritty (loss of grier and dumont hurt significantly in 06-07) and just beat you down in every way. thats the way the sabres should be built. and run. im not sure nolan is that guy. thats my main question mark. and if you can get a coach who can coach a team in that way, get him.

if it was up to me, id bring ruff back.

coastal
04-06-2015, 02:09 PM
Let me try this question in another way... what new "skill" should he be teaching that apparently he can't?

next question... How'd he get Latvia to compete at WJCs?

coastal
04-06-2015, 02:12 PM
thats just how I feel
And thanks for admitting this discussion isn't based on reason.

chernobylwraiths
04-06-2015, 02:16 PM
If a big named coach can be lured here, I don't see how Nolan stays, unless he is given a "behind the scenes (thanks for falling on your Sabre)" job.

And NO to Lindy. Liked him but as some are now saying about Nolan, that ship has sailed.

Typ0
04-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Everyone who is anyone (Hockey and media people) seem to agree Nolan will be gone. I don't see it happening. If they were going to get rid of him they would have done it three weeks ago to throw unrest into the team. It was their opportunity to secure the 30th spot but they didn't pull the trigger. That tells me they are going to keep him around at least another year.

While the above is my logic surrounding my analysis that he won't be fired -- I don't get the Nolan hate either. This team is bad and lacks a lot of talent. On top of there has been a lot of player movement. You can't hold Nolan accountable for poor statistical performance when the talent is not there to compete. You have to ask the question if the team works hard and are the players growing in areas they need to grow. In some ways this years team is better than most of the others we have fielded in the last ten years....

Typ0
04-06-2015, 02:43 PM
You know who is responsible for 'The Tank'? Regier. If we get a generational player it's Regier's work that got him here. Maybe we should bring Darcy back too?

the late 90s sabres survived on being the hardest working team willing to do the dirty work and lean on hasek. and it worked. they could get away with not having any real skill. i see the sabres somewhat playing the same style. nolan demanding hard work (thats good!) and do the dirtywork (again, good!) but not work on the skill aspect. maybe its because the skill isnt there in high numbers and hes working with what he has, but i get the feeling that nolan thinks he can survive on what worked in the 90s. thats just how i feel.

look at the 05-07 sabres. ruff was able to run out 4 lines that score and play gritty (loss of grier and dumont hurt significantly in 06-07) and just beat you down in every way. thats the way the sabres should be built. and run. im not sure nolan is that guy. thats my main question mark. and if you can get a coach who can coach a team in that way, get him.

Night Train
04-06-2015, 03:09 PM
LOL at Lindy. He's bombing in Dallas and Murray has eyes for several others, I'm guessing.

Murray will match up the best possible candidate to coach the coming rebuild. Have no idea who it is but we'll know soon enough.

$$ is probably no object, when it comes to a coach.

JATMtheJATM
04-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Let me try this question in another way... what new "skill" should he be teaching that apparently he can't?

next question... How'd he get Latvia to compete at WJCs?

I've already said that the grind it out style of play works for short tournaments. Not sustainable a full NHL season.

JATMtheJATM
04-06-2015, 04:15 PM
You know who is responsible for 'The Tank'? Regier. If we get a generational player it's Regier's work that got him here. Maybe we should bring Darcy back too?

Darcy was savvy, I'll give him that. I don't actually think they'll bring him back.

The Jokeman
04-06-2015, 04:35 PM

Ironies of ironies Darcy has a role with the Coyotes as their assistant GM and Senior VP. http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11173871/darcy-regier-named-senior-vice-president-assistant-general-manager-arizona-coyotes

swiper
04-06-2015, 04:48 PM
you seem to be backtracking away from your original point. doesnt matter what the circumstance around his production is. he was a productive NHL player up until this year. and given that he just turned 25, its also within the realm of possibility that hes simply having a bad season. he wouldnt be the first to have one of those.

I'm not backtracking one bit Sally. He sucked. He was supposed to be the leader. The Number one center. He was a lousy 20/24? You say that is productive? He IS the reason that team sucked so bad.

You should turn in your man card if you call that productive for the #1 center. He's not even a #3 center on any NHL team.

He was slow and lazy. He hid all those "talents" you listed. It got him demoted, then benched.

Give it up.

JATMtheJATM
04-06-2015, 05:59 PM
I'm not backtracking one bit Sally. He sucked. He was supposed to be the leader. The Number one center. He was a lousy 20/24? You say that is productive? He IS the reason that team sucked so bad.

You should turn in your man card if you call that productive for the #1 center. He's not even a #3 center on any NHL team.

He was slow and lazy. He hid all those "talents" you listed. It got him demoted, then benched.

Give it up.

Right, he performed up to his ceilings given the talent around him. the idea that the team was bad because of him is laughable and dead nuts incorrect. He didnt hold anyone back. No matter how much you flail, Hodgson was a productive player. This year is a different story, but we aren't cherry picking one year.

snow1989
04-07-2015, 01:10 AM
Is not one of the reasons we got to acquire Hodgson is because he was in the doghouse in Vancouver? The GM there pretty much claimed he was a 'headcase' with "issues" and didn't want to be in Vancouver. They gave him zero defensive responsibilities.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/323678

Hodgson only has a couple of 'skill talents': quick release, nice wrist-shot, above average vision (though I don't think great) and has a quick first step (But not blazing speed) He has zero defensive talents, he is slightly below average on face-off stats. He has no weight to throw around,
And apparently, if he is not happy he lacks effort and/or work ethic.

He is probably a number 2 center, if happy; and supplied with wingers that can score. However, if he can't get it together next season, and early next season....they need to accept the loss and package him up in a deal if possible

coastal
04-07-2015, 04:37 AM
Is not one of the reasons we got to acquire Hodgson is because he was in the doghouse in Vancouver? The GM there pretty much claimed he was a 'headcase' with "issues" and didn't want to be in Vancouver. They gave him zero defensive responsibilities.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/323678

Hodgson only has a couple of 'skill talents': quick release, nice wrist-shot, above average vision (though I don't think great) and has a quick first step (But not blazing speed) He has zero defensive talents, he is slightly below average on face-off stats. He has no weight to throw around,
And apparently, if he is not happy he lacks effort and/or work ethic.

He is probably a number 2 center, if happy; and supplied with wingers that can score. However, if he can't get it together next season, and early next season....they need to accept the loss and package him up in a deal if possible
Like I said.... he has above average hands.

trapezeus
04-07-2015, 07:19 AM

i see your point, but my counterpoint would be that nolan did get the hardest working team into the playoffs. regardless of talent, he gets people to believe in themselves by doing all the things you are supposed to do. if he starts getting that message out to young players with talent and they can showcase their natural gift with the work ethic that you play every game like its your last, you are going to have a team where everyone competes and the standard is quite high.

on the 4 line situation for ruff, can't one argue that almost no one needs to coach that team? the high talent team with good work ethic will win regardless.

i think a lesser coach could have had the 14-15 sabres at the bottom with a lot of hysteria, a lot of finger pointing, and made it a no brainer.

i just don't see what he did wrong with the talent he was given. and his staff has worked with mediocre goalies, turned them into studs while facing 35-45 shots a game. i see january as the bottom and i think they are moving up. i'd like to see him coach one more year with some talent added.

JATMtheJATM
04-07-2015, 09:35 AM
Like I said.... he has above average hands.

Seems he has a few skills. But his attitude problems don't dismiss the fact that he has been a productive NHLER up till this year. And that he has Talent.

coastal
04-07-2015, 10:41 AM
Seems he has a few skills. But his attitude problems don't dismiss the fact that he has been a productive NHLER up till this year. And that he has Talent.
You r delusional

JATMtheJATM
04-07-2015, 10:45 AM
You r delusional

Let's not get all emotional here. No where have I called Hodgson a centerpiece of the rebuild or anything like that. I don't even like the guy as a player. I mentioned him being a skilled player and him being a productive player up till this year.

coastal
04-07-2015, 10:49 AM
Let's not get all emotional here. No where have I called Hodgson a centerpiece of the rebuild or anything like that. I don't even like the guy as a player. I mentioned him being a skilled player and him being a productive player up till this year.
Nolan stresses taking care of your defensive zone responsibilities first.

Now that Hodgson is doing that, his offensive production blows.

You think Babcock is going to ask for anything different out of him?

i don't.

JATMtheJATM
04-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Nolan stresses taking care of your defensive zone responsibilities first.

Now that Hodgson is doing that, his offensive production blows.

You think Babcock is going to ask for anything different out of him?

i don't.

That's a completely different argument that I wouldn't even make. Hodgson is lousy in his own zone. And he doesn't even really try.

I do, however, think his production could return with talent around him.

There was no argument from me on that front. What bugged me is people trying to rewrite history like he never was productive. And he was.

Skooby
04-07-2015, 11:08 AM
I do, however, think his production could return with talent around him.

Can't this be said of most NHL players ??

JATMtheJATM
04-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Can't this be said of most NHL players ??

Probably. But Hodgson actually has a history of producing. except, you know. This season.