PDA

View Full Version : Evander kane article

JATMtheJATM
04-04-2015, 05:51 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/evander-kane-problem-child/

Let's see what happens

IlluminatusUIUC
04-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Is this instagram thing really such a big deal? I know hockey has a reputation for pearl-clutching, but this is extreme even for that.

mightysimi
04-05-2015, 02:04 PM
It's not a big deal but the media outlets and anonymous fake outrage from the internet make it so. However, the general rule of thumb is people will tolerate you bringing unwanted attention to the team as long as you produce. He wasn't so these things get amplified. If he had 40 goals at the time would anyone care? Probably not. He has the size, speed and skill to be dominant. You just have to hope he can figure it out or you traded a stud d man for nothing.

JATMtheJATM
04-05-2015, 04:02 PM
The article actually highlights he's a very likable human being

mightysimi
04-05-2015, 05:36 PM
I read that this morning. According to other players he is likeable but if the media and public is always freaking out about his antics, it's counter productive. Unless he is scoring then by all means go full on Clinton Portis with the interviews.

Skooby
04-05-2015, 07:12 PM
So he's a great player that needs to be coached, there's goes Ted's chance.

don137
04-05-2015, 07:12 PM
I think the hockey media are more uptight and conservative and not use to some of his harmless antics so they paint him more negative light.

trapezeus
04-06-2015, 09:43 AM
i saw the article. he wasn't as upfront as one would have liked. this trade is based on past performance and the reluctance of winnipeg to say much and even Bogo seemed a little strained when the trade first happened.

To me, it seems like he's fairly harmless. like he's not going to get in trouble with the law or something. but that he's a very young 23-24 years old. and it isn't clear to me that he knows that the trade was kind of his last shot type thing.

but i think if he's paired with a guy he likes and they have chemistry scoring goals, his likeability and antics will be applauded. they'll become an enjoyable line to watch dominate. if he is a leino type guy who just can't find his groove, gets put all over the place on lines 1-4, and can't find the back of the net, it will be the end of his career essentially.

i really hope it pays off and that his personality just rubbed the wrong people the wrong way. and that in buffalo his personality is embraced but that he grows up in the process knowing when to egg people on and when to just stay to himself.

chernobylwraiths
04-06-2015, 09:49 AM
It's not a big deal but the media outlets and anonymous fake outrage from the internet make it so. However, the general rule of thumb is people will tolerate you bringing unwanted attention to the team as long as you produce. He wasn't so these things get amplified. If he had 40 goals at the time would anyone care? Probably not. He has the size, speed and skill to be dominant. You just have to hope he can figure it out or you traded a stud d man for nothing.

Actually, with just Bogosian, I like his game a LOT more than Myers. Myers is more gifted offensively, but I like defensemen who are good defensively first, which I feel Bogosian is. Add to that he is a LOT more physical than Myers and if Kane comes in and plays with heart and talent and I will be very happy with that trade.

Skooby
04-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Actually, with just Bogosian, I like his game a LOT more than Myers. Myers is more gifted offensively, but I like defensemen who are good defensively first, which I feel Bogosian is. Add to that he is a LOT more physical than Myers and if Kane comes in and plays with heart and talent and I will be very happy with that trade.

Very well written AL, I agree.

JATMtheJATM
04-06-2015, 11:58 AM

i was really disappointed tha armia was moved in that deal. having watching him play several times, yes, only in the AHL, he was everywhere on the ice. you couldnt miss him. he was dominate most nights at that level, so it was just a matter of time before he came up. but after the trade, he has fallen off. he has 6 points in 17 games since the trade. i think he bounces back, but man, thats a huge dip.

i also liked brenden lemiuex alot as a low like sparkplug.

chernobylwraiths
04-06-2015, 02:15 PM
i was really disappointed tha armia was moved in that deal. having watching him play several times, yes, only in the AHL, he was everywhere on the ice. you couldnt miss him. he was dominate most nights at that level, so it was just a matter of time before he came up. but after the trade, he has fallen off. he has 6 points in 17 games since the trade. i think he bounces back, but man, thats a huge dip.

i also liked brenden lemiuex alot as a low like sparkplug.

Yeah, I don't like to see guys that have high potential leave either, but at the end of the day, Armia was in Rochester for the better part of 2 years AND he was often on the injured list. Add to that the dip in points and I am not so upset to see him go. Lemiuex seemed like he wasn't going to sign.

JATMtheJATM
04-06-2015, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I don't like to see guys that have high potential leave either, but at the end of the day, Armia was in Rochester for the better part of 2 years AND he was often on the injured list. Add to that the dip in points and I am not so upset to see him go. Lemiuex seemed like he wasn't going to sign.

Yeah, I'm really happy they got kane. Hate seeing good prospects ts go, but that's part of the game.

mightysimi
04-06-2015, 04:42 PM

I actually liked Bogo but with how often he was injured, I wasn't sad to see him go. I know there is more to the trade and you could say that Stafford has worked out as well with 17 pts in 22 games. Just with everything that went into the deal with the prospects and the pick, If Kane doesn't work out you gave up a lot for just Bogosian. I do think the deal has the potential to be fair but it all depends on if Kane can play to his potential. Because right now Myers is playing at a Norris trophy level.

trapezeus
04-07-2015, 09:02 AM
I actually liked Bogo but with how often he was injured, I wasn't sad to see him go. I know there is more to the trade and you could say that Stafford has worked out as well with 17 pts in 22 games. Just with everything that went into the deal with the prospects and the pick, If Kane doesn't work out you gave up a lot for just Bogosian. I do think the deal has the potential to be fair but it all depends on if Kane can play to his potential. Because right now Myers is playing at a Norris trophy level.

myers has done that before with buffalo. his issue is consistency and i think it will remain so. he struck me as tempermental. you put him on a team with drive and the taste of success near, he's all in and has good games with a few relapses. When he's on a meandering team struggling for the playoffs to not even having a chance at the playoffs, he's just not consistent at all.

i also can live without offensive defensemen if we get better forwards. we haven't had good forwards since 2005-06 when we rolled 4 lines.
i like the shot blockers. that's what you need come playoff time. and you need forwards who aren't hot and cold in the playoffs. Sure it's good to have 1 offensive defenseman to QB the power play, but that guy doesn't need to be a stud. he just needs to have a good shot and not be a complete liability in the defensive end.

i was afraid of losing myers initially, but watchin the d start to get it, i don't think we'll miss him much. Now that i've said that, i'm sure i'll live to regret it.

JATMtheJATM
04-07-2015, 09:48 AM
myers has done that before with buffalo. his issue is consistency and i think it will remain so. he struck me as tempermental. you put him on a team with drive and the taste of success near, he's all in and has good games with a few relapses. When he's on a meandering team struggling for the playoffs to not even having a chance at the playoffs, he's just not consistent at all.

i also can live without offensive defensemen if we get better forwards. we haven't had good forwards since 2005-06 when we rolled 4 lines.
i like the shot blockers. that's what you need come playoff time. and you need forwards who aren't hot and cold in the playoffs. Sure it's good to have 1 offensive defenseman to QB the power play, but that guy doesn't need to be a stud. he just needs to have a good shot and not be a complete liability in the defensive end.

i was afraid of losing myers initially, but watchin the d start to get it, i don't think we'll miss him much. Now that i've said that, i'm sure i'll live to regret it.

I think it's really depending on how kane does to see how this deal works out.

mightysimi
04-08-2015, 10:54 AM

I haven't seen a drop off in play and in fact if anything have seen an improvement since the injuries and suspensions on the back end. I think the quote from Myers that says it all when asked about the difference in his game from Wpg to Buf and his answer was that they aren't always playing in their own end.

I also think you mis-label Myers as solely an offensive guy. He seems to be a complete player, although I would like him to use his size a bit more. His play IMO has been superb. As for not wanting D that can score? That's the difference between the East and the West. You keep not worrying about no offence from the back end and the West will keep worrying about winning cups.

coastal
04-08-2015, 11:00 AM
U hit the nail on the head with Myers... intimidates no one and can have a defensive lapse from time to time. A little too much skating and wasted movement in the defensive zone for my liking coupled with awkward body checking.

He is and amazing and dynamic skater and his ability to move the puck is top end.

hes obviously devloping offensively.

mightysimi
04-08-2015, 11:12 AM
U hit the nail on the head with Myers... intimidates no one and can have a defensive lapse from time to time. A little too much skating and wasted movement in the defensive zone for my liking coupled with awkward body checking.

He is and amazing and dynamic skater and his ability to move the puck is top end.

No he doesn't intimidate but when he can poke check the d man at the blue line from the crease, it makes his d play excellent. Maybe he is trying a little harder now that he is on a winning team. I'm not so sold on the rest of the package as I feel if Armia was worth anything, he would have been playing on a historically bad team in Buffalo. Lemieux I like just for the role he will play. Not sure if Stafford will stay but right now he is playing real well with Scheiffle and Wheeler.

Like was said this trade will depend on Kane. If he can put it together, it was a pretty fair trade.

JATMtheJATM
04-08-2015, 02:35 PM

Yeah, but what d-man doesn't have lapses in his own zone from time to time? Even the best do occasionally.