PDA

View Full Version : Rex Ryan not ready to throw EJ out after two years

HHURRICANE
04-05-2015, 09:19 AM
Don't give up on EJ yet?:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000483546/article/rex-on-ej-lets-not-just-throw-him-out-after-two-years

"I'm lining them up to literally have a competition for the position," Ryan said. "People will say, 'Well, is this guy ahead of the other?' There's going to be assumptions, but the great thing is, let it play out. Give both guys the opportunity and then at the end of the day, the cream will rise to the top. It usually does."

YardRat
04-05-2015, 09:44 AM
But Taylor isn't.

HHURRICANE
04-05-2015, 10:13 AM
I would be shocked if EJ is on this team when the season starts. I think he gets traded or released.

Cassel, Taylor, Rookie.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Earlier reports suggested that Whaley was going to all the coaching interviews and asking them how they would develop EJ. I don't know if the Pegulas stepped in or if those initial reports were mistaken, but it seems like Whaley is still committed to giving EJ a chance.

Cap wise, Manuel's dead money figure is the exact same as his live money figure unless we do a post June 1 cut. Manuel's not a locker room cancer personality, so I can't see any reason to cut him this offseason.

sudzy
04-05-2015, 10:40 AM
Cap wise, Manuel's dead money figure is the exact same as his live money figure unless we do a post June 1 cut. Manuel's not a locker room cancer personality, so I can't see any reason to cut him this offseason.

I don't see that story as a huge endorsement of EJ. For the first time since EJ was drafted he's going to have to earn his roster spot. Taylor and EJ are on even ground right now. If the Bills draft someone, one of those two will be cut.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-05-2015, 11:08 AM
I don't see that story as a huge endorsement of EJ. For the first time since EJ was drafted he's going to have to earn his roster spot. Taylor and EJ are on even ground right now. If the Bills draft someone, one of those two will be cut.

It depends on where that hypothetical QB is drafted. If he's a 2nd rounder like Grayson or Hundley, then yes. If he's a 7th rounder like Levi whatshisname from a few years ago, then probably not.

EJ's role on the team is certainly up for competition though, and rightfully so.

Buckets
04-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Both guys? Who is he leaving out?

IlluminatusUIUC
04-05-2015, 11:29 AM
Both guys? Who is he leaving out?

The article suggests he means Cassel and EJ

Yasgur's Farm
04-05-2015, 12:14 PM
The article suggests he means Cassel and EJYup... Shows what the expectations are for Tyrod. Not saying EJ doesn't get traded... But nobody at 1BD is thinking cut.

TacklingDummy
04-05-2015, 02:34 PM
EJ has the most upside. Why would they get rid of him?

WagonCircler
04-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Bye bye, EJ.

sudzy
04-05-2015, 04:29 PM
Yup... Shows what the expectations are for Tyrod. Not saying EJ doesn't get traded... But nobody at 1BD is thinking cut.

Rex tried to trade for Taylor with the Jets and was huge in bringing him here for less money then the Broncos offered. EJ is a hold over from the past staff. Rex has nothing vested in EJ. So spin it how ever you want, it's a put up or shut up training camp for EJ.

Mace
04-05-2015, 06:06 PM
I just can't get upset about Manuel having a shot. He's been Trentative, they made him obsessed with minimizing turnovers, and a ball control offense is his best next step.

If he steps into this with more "what the hell" aggression and learned anything to save his career, it will at least prove or disprove his potential once and for all and they'll go back to handing off 3 plays a series anyway or he'll head back to the pines and Cassel or Taylor will do the same thing, and they'll hand off 3 plays a series.

I know other people have, but I haven't given up completely on Manuel yet, though I will soon enough if he doesn't grasp play-action or waffles on the screen pass to dump off to the back of Felton's head one too many times. I'm not optimistic but it doesn't really upset me so much either. This is a wait and see year, like always.

Meathead
04-05-2015, 08:53 PM
I would be shocked if EJ is on this team when the season starts. I think he gets traded or released.

hahahahahaaa

oh oh oh

hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

psubills62
04-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Earlier reports suggested that Whaley was going to all the coaching interviews and asking them how they would develop EJ. I don't know if the Pegulas stepped in or if those initial reports were mistaken, but it seems like Whaley is still committed to giving EJ a chance.

Does cutting him this year have an impact on next year's cap?

I can't imagine it would have a ton since he's in the era of low cost rookies, but I would imagine that would be the main reason to cut him if anything. I'd still expect him to stay on the roster in general.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-05-2015, 10:19 PM

I can't imagine it would have a ton since he's in the era of low cost rookies, but I would imagine that would be the main reason to cut him if anything. I'd still expect him to stay on the roster in general.

Next year it would save some money. Not a ton, but enough that it would make sense if he doesn't show anything in 2015.

better days
04-06-2015, 07:04 AM

I would see no point in cutting EJ this year.

Maybe another year on the bench with good coaching & EJ improves next year.

Tuel is the QB that will be cut. He is an after thought when the Bills QB's are discussed.

Yasgur's Farm
04-06-2015, 08:08 AM
Rex tried to trade for Taylor with the Jets and was huge in bringing him here for less money then the Broncos offered. EJ is a hold over from the past staff. Rex has nothing vested in EJ. So spin it how ever you want, it's a put up or shut up training camp for EJ.Call it spin if you like... But you're blinded (by hatred) to the facts that are being presented. The obvious... Taylor and Tuel are on the outside looking in as far as starters... Tuel is likely gone.

Albany,n.y.
04-06-2015, 08:48 AM
I would see no point in cutting EJ this year.

Maybe another year on the bench with good coaching & EJ improves next year.

Tuel is the QB that will be cut. He is an after thought when the Bills QB's are discussed.
If he ends up 3rd on the depth chart what's the point of keeping him around? If he's on the bench & deactivated every game he wouldn't be in their plans for next year anyway. EJ either wins the starter's job or he's gone by 2016 at the latest.
Tuel is out of here no matter who starts. If we draft a QB he's gone by May.

EDS
04-06-2015, 09:34 AM
I bet everyone in the Bills organization, including Pegula, Whaley, Roman and Rex, want EJ to win the QB job outright in camp. If he doesn't, Cassel is the safety valve and maybe they give Taylor a shot late in the year if the other two underwhelm.

better days
04-06-2015, 09:45 AM
If he ends up 3rd on the depth chart what's the point of keeping him around? If he's on the bench & deactivated every game he wouldn't be in their plans for next year anyway. EJ either wins the starter's job or he's gone by 2016 at the latest.
Tuel is out of here no matter who starts. If we draft a QB he's gone by May.

The point is as I already said, maybe with another year on the bench and GOOD Coaching for the first time in his NFL career, EJ MIGHT improve for next year.

Mr. Pink
04-06-2015, 11:09 AM
EJ has the most upside. Why would they get rid of him?

Most? He's the only QB on the roster with upside. Sadly.