Who Is The Most Underrated Buffalo Bill of All-Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Who Is The Most Underrated Buffalo Bill of All-Time?

Steve Tasker? Butch Byrd? Frank Reich? Sam Gash? Fred Smerlas? Kyle Williams? Ralph Wilson, Jr.?

Who do you think is the most underrated Buffalo Bill, All-Time or even present day?

I gotta go with Kenny Davis.

I knew Kenny Davis was good from what I remember, but I forgot how much he played a part of the Bills offense in crucial games.

Davis wasn't really a backup, he was like having a 2nd starter at the position. I never knew that he had a higher yards per carry average than Thurman and I never knew that he was the guy who scored 3 rushing TD's against the Raiders in the 51-3 AFC Championship blowout game in 1990.

The only think I remember about Freddy Smerlas was his big paw blocking what would have been a game winning kick against the Jets, he rode to OBD on a Harley and rumor has it he liked to have a lot of fun.

The Buffalo Bills famously made it to four straight Super Bowls in the 1990s, losing all four. See which players from those famous teams make it onto the team's all-time overrated and underrated lists.

Kenneth Davis -- RB, 1989-94

Kenneth Davis is the most underrated running back in Bills history.
    Not only did he fill in masterfully for Thomas in the playoffs when Thomas was injured -- most notably in 1992 when Davis played a crucial part in "The Comeback" and scored touchdowns against the Pittsburgh Steelers in the divisional round and the Miami Dolphins in the AFC title game to help the Bills advance to Super Bowl XXVII -- he also had a higher yards-per-carry average (4.4) as a Bill than Thomas (4.2). The consummate "deliver when it counts" guy, Davis scored seven postseason touchdowns in his six seasons with the Bills, including three in one game against the Raiders in 1990.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Who Is The Most Underrated Buffalo Bill of All-Time?

Kent Hull.

Kelly, Thurm ,Reed got the glory.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mace
      Haha...yeah you think so ?
      • Mar 2013

I like your choice of Davis, I remember him well. Had a good instinct for clutch moments too.

Another name that I consider is Don Beebe, he didn't have a stellar career but had a lot of clutch moments, took a lot of savage hits making them.

In the end though, I'd say Darryl Talley. He's gotten some press for his bad times after the game, but he was a glue in the defense in his day, always ran at 110%, clutch moments, breathed fire and ice for the team. A Fred Jackson linebacker, class individual, fierce leader, dedicated player, who played above and beyond his skills and gave his all to do it.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Mace View Post
        I like your choice of Davis, I remember him well. Had a good instinct for clutch moments too.

Another name that I consider is Don Beebe, he didn't have a stellar career but had a lot of clutch moments, took a lot of savage hits making them.

In the end though, I'd say Darryl Talley. He's gotten some press for his bad times after the game, but he was a glue in the defense in his day, always ran at 110%, clutch moments, breathed fire and ice for the team. A Fred Jackson linebacker, class individual, fierce leader, dedicated player, who played above and beyond his skills and gave his all to do it.
        If he didn't get smoked like Eddie Robinson on that 3rd down in SBXXV, I'd totally agree.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
          Kent Hull.

Awesome pick.

Comment

• Mace
            Haha...yeah you think so ?
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
            If he didn't get smoked like Eddie Robinson on that 3rd down in SBXXV, I'd totally agree.
            At least we can rule out Robinson.

Comment

• John Doe
              Florida Man
              • Jul 2002

Wray Carlton.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

Joe Cribbs.

He was every bit as good as any RB this franchise has ever had but only played a short window.

Plus he's hated because he jumped to the USFL for the money and the fact he really didn't like playing here.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by John Doe View Post
                  Wray Carlton.

In his early years with the Buffalo Bills of the American Football League, Carlton formed a virtually unstoppable backfield tandem with Carlton Chester "Cookie" Gilchrist.
                  On September 18, 1960, in Buffalo's home opener, a 27-21 loss to the Denver Broncos, Carlton made history in the second quarter when he scored the team's first touchdown on a one-yard run. Carlton gained 1,010 yards from scrimmage (533 rushing- 477 receiving) and 11 TDs in the Bills first season.
                  Later he helped the Bills win back-to-back league championships in 1964 and 1965. Perennially among the AFL's top rushers, he led the league in rushing touchdowns in 1965 and was voted to the American Football League Eastern Division All-Star team in 1965 and 1966. Carlton was the Bills' all-time leading rusher during their AFL years, with a 4.1 yards per carry average.
                  Pretty cool how Cookie and Wray shared the same first and last name.

"Carlton Chester Gilchrist," aka, 'Lookie lookie, here comes Cookie.'

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                    Kent Hull.

If it wasn't for Kent Hull, Kelly, Thurman and Reed might not be in the Hall of Fame today.

He was the one constant on that line. Jim Kelly said the Bills offense would have never worked without him.

Comment

• Thurmal
                      • Oct 2005

Eric Moulds. If he had the fortune of playing with a decent QB, he'd be in the Hall of Fame.
                      "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• gr8slayer
                        • Feb 2005

Aaron Schobel.

Comment

• Jaybird
                          • Dec 2005

Eric moulds is a good call. He was elite. Just played with some of the worst qb

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by gr8slayer View Post
                            Aaron Schobel.
                            Stay thirsty my friends.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                              Steve Tasker? Butch Byrd? Frank Reich? Sam Gash? Fred Smerlas? Kyle Williams? Ralph Wilson, Jr.?

Who do you think is the most underrated Buffalo Bill, All-Time or even present day?

I gotta go with Kenny Davis.

I knew Kenny Davis was good from what I remember, but I forgot how much he played a part of the Bills offense in crucial games.

Davis wasn't really a backup, he was like having a 2nd starter at the position. I never knew that he had a higher yards per carry average than Thurman and I never knew that he was the guy who scored 3 rushing TD's against the Raiders in the 51-3 AFC Championship blowout game in 1990.

The only think I remember about Freddy Smerlas was his big paw blocking what would have been a game winning kick against the Jets, he rode to OBD on a Harley and rumor has it he liked to have a lot of fun.

The Buffalo Bills famously made it to four straight Super Bowls in the 1990s, losing all four. See which players from those famous teams make it onto the team's all-time overrated and underrated lists.

Kenneth Davis -- RB, 1989-94

Kenneth Davis is the most underrated running back in Bills history.
                              Not only did he fill in masterfully for Thomas in the playoffs when Thomas was injured -- most notably in 1992 when Davis played a crucial part in "The Comeback" and scored touchdowns against the Pittsburgh Steelers in the divisional round and the Miami Dolphins in the AFC title game to help the Bills advance to Super Bowl XXVII -- he also had a higher yards-per-carry average (4.4) as a Bill than Thomas (4.2). The consummate "deliver when it counts" guy, Davis scored seven postseason touchdowns in his six seasons with the Bills, including three in one game against the Raiders in 1990.
                              He was the player I instantly thought of as soon as I read the title.

Comment

Working...
                              X