• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

DC Thurman - Using The Best Of Both Schemes From The Last 2 Years

Doesn't sound like he's blowing up last years D, like many here instructed.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: DC Thurman - Using The Best Of Both Schemes From The Last 2 Years

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
    http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/0...-2014-schemes/

I saw an interview video of Thurman on the Bills site where Thurman said that.

I think YardRat & others are needlessly worrying about the defense.

Comment

• psubills62
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2008

Sounds like lip service to me.
      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by psubills62 View Post
        I'm sure you expect the Bills to run a 3-4 defense with no variation whatsoever.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by psubills62 View Post
          To serve what purpose?

Comment

• Swiper
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
            http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/0...-2014-schemes/

That is some of the best news of the off-season right there.

When coaches dig in and become stubborn about doing it "their way" no good usually comes. Coaches that see prior success and are willing to adapt do much better.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

If you inherit a 1968 Mustang that's in need of a few minor touch ups, you don't strip it down and rebuilt it from scratch.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Very encouraging, I hope it is more than just lip service. I'll believe it more when they bring back Spikes, because if they are going to implement any of Schwartz's schemes it certainly rectifies some issues on the dline and at OLB, but without him there is a gaping hole at MLB when they do.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                  • Sep 2012

What exactly is Thurman's role? Is he this regime's Curtis Modkins?

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Swiper
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                    Pretty much.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                      Rex says Thurman is a very good smart Coach who will be a HC soon.

Comment

• Raptor
                        • Jan 2009

yea he's pretty much full of crap. Schwartz said the same thing last year and a bunch of fans were gullible enough to believe him

reality is this, he will teach the Defense that got him here and is a proven system in the NFL.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                          • Mar 2013

If this rhetoric is true, then why isn't Brandon Spikes signed by now?

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                            yea he's pretty much full of crap. Schwartz said the same thing last year and a bunch of fans were gullible enough to believe him

reality is this, he will teach the Defense that got him here and is a proven system in the NFL.
                            Schwartz didn't really blow up the defense either. He took Pettines 3-4, 4-3 under and made it a 4-3 wide 9. Mostly same players, different less dynamic roles, less "all or nothing" creative blitzes, more run support instead with a good coverage system I thought.

I thought Schwartz presented the obvious and challenged offenses to beat it, largely they couldn't because the Bills have some serious talent...where say Wannstedt provided the obvious with more ridiculous rigid simplicity and Pettine/Ryan will not present any obvious at all with people moving everywhere for deception.

Comment

• jimmifli
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                              Schwartz didn't really blow up the defense either. He took Pettines 3-4, 4-3 under and made it a 4-3 wide 9. Mostly same players, different less dynamic roles, less "all or nothing" creative blitzes, more run support instead with a good coverage system I thought.

I thought Schwartz presented the obvious and challenged offenses to beat it, largely they couldn't because the Bills have some serious talent...where say Wannstedt provided the obvious with more ridiculous rigid simplicity and Pettine/Ryan will not present any obvious at all with people moving everywhere for deception.
                              I remember an article where gym shorts said he didn't change the terminology. He figured it was easier for him to learn what Pettine had used than to ask 25 guys to learn his favored terminology. It still seemed like lip service, but it turned out well enough in the end.

There was enough talent under Wanny for the D to be top 10 with a good DC. We got more talent under Pettine and he fielded a top10 D. Gym shorts got even more talent and we hit 4. Now we've lost a bit but hopefully aren't fielding a team of punters on offense. What's it all mean? If the coach is an idiot, no amount of talent will help. If the coach is competent and has talent, the schemes matter, but not all that much.

Really, I don't care what this staff says at this point. Playoffs or bust.

Comment

Working...
                              X