PDA

View Full Version : DC Thurman - Using The Best Of Both Schemes From The Last 2 Years

Night Train
04-06-2015, 07:10 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/04/06/thurman-d-will-marry-2013-2014-schemes/

Doesn't sound like he's blowing up last years D, like many here instructed.

better days
04-06-2015, 09:50 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/04/06/thurman-d-will-marry-2013-2014-schemes/

I saw an interview video of Thurman on the Bills site where Thurman said that.

I think YardRat & others are needlessly worrying about the defense.

psubills62
04-06-2015, 10:05 AM
Sounds like lip service to me.

better days
04-06-2015, 11:01 AM

I'm sure you expect the Bills to run a 3-4 defense with no variation whatsoever.

ParanoidAndroid
04-06-2015, 11:12 AM

To serve what purpose?

swiper
04-06-2015, 11:18 AM

That is some of the best news of the off-season right there.

When coaches dig in and become stubborn about doing it "their way" no good usually comes. Coaches that see prior success and are willing to adapt do much better.

Forward_Lateral
04-06-2015, 11:40 AM
If you inherit a 1968 Mustang that's in need of a few minor touch ups, you don't strip it down and rebuilt it from scratch.

YardRat
04-06-2015, 03:40 PM
Very encouraging, I hope it is more than just lip service. I'll believe it more when they bring back Spikes, because if they are going to implement any of Schwartz's schemes it certainly rectifies some issues on the dline and at OLB, but without him there is a gaping hole at MLB when they do.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-06-2015, 04:32 PM
What exactly is Thurman's role? Is he this regime's Curtis Modkins?

swiper
04-06-2015, 04:43 PM

Pretty much.

better days
04-06-2015, 04:51 PM

Rex says Thurman is a very good smart Coach who will be a HC soon.

Raptor
04-06-2015, 07:23 PM
yea he's pretty much full of crap. Schwartz said the same thing last year and a bunch of fans were gullible enough to believe him

reality is this, he will teach the Defense that got him here and is a proven system in the NFL.

BillsImpossible
04-06-2015, 07:43 PM
If this rhetoric is true, then why isn't Brandon Spikes signed by now?

Mace
04-06-2015, 07:43 PM
yea he's pretty much full of crap. Schwartz said the same thing last year and a bunch of fans were gullible enough to believe him

reality is this, he will teach the Defense that got him here and is a proven system in the NFL.

Schwartz didn't really blow up the defense either. He took Pettines 3-4, 4-3 under and made it a 4-3 wide 9. Mostly same players, different less dynamic roles, less "all or nothing" creative blitzes, more run support instead with a good coverage system I thought.

I thought Schwartz presented the obvious and challenged offenses to beat it, largely they couldn't because the Bills have some serious talent...where say Wannstedt provided the obvious with more ridiculous rigid simplicity and Pettine/Ryan will not present any obvious at all with people moving everywhere for deception.

jimmifli
04-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Schwartz didn't really blow up the defense either. He took Pettines 3-4, 4-3 under and made it a 4-3 wide 9. Mostly same players, different less dynamic roles, less "all or nothing" creative blitzes, more run support instead with a good coverage system I thought.

I thought Schwartz presented the obvious and challenged offenses to beat it, largely they couldn't because the Bills have some serious talent...where say Wannstedt provided the obvious with more ridiculous rigid simplicity and Pettine/Ryan will not present any obvious at all with people moving everywhere for deception.

I remember an article where gym shorts said he didn't change the terminology. He figured it was easier for him to learn what Pettine had used than to ask 25 guys to learn his favored terminology. It still seemed like lip service, but it turned out well enough in the end.

There was enough talent under Wanny for the D to be top 10 with a good DC. We got more talent under Pettine and he fielded a top10 D. Gym shorts got even more talent and we hit 4. Now we've lost a bit but hopefully aren't fielding a team of punters on offense. What's it all mean? If the coach is an idiot, no amount of talent will help. If the coach is competent and has talent, the schemes matter, but not all that much.

Really, I don't care what this staff says at this point. Playoffs or bust.