PDA

View Full Version : NFL reportedly fires multiple officials

IlluminatusUIUC
04-08-2015, 04:29 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/08/nfl-has-fired-some-of-its-worst-officials/

The NFL has fired some of its worst officials.

Although NFL head of officiating Dean Blandino wasn’t quite that blunt in confirming it today, Blandino said “we moved on from” some officials who weren’t up to snuff.
“If an official isn’t performing up to the standards then they won’t be in the NFL,” Blandino said.

Blandino declined to name the officials who won’t be back, but those names are expected to become public soon.

Reportedly they hired 9 people for 4 vacancies, so presumably 5 are gone. (http://www.footballzebras.com/2015/04/08/12607/)

Did any head refs get the axe I wonder?

swiper
04-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Saw this and was going to post. The best response:

<cite style="font-style: normal; font-size: 0.9em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;">schmitty2 says:</cite><small style="font-size: 0.9em; clear: both; display: block; margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;">Apr 8, 2015 2:55 PM</small>For the love of all that’s good please let it be:
Jeff Triplette
Ed Hochuli
Walt Coleman
Jerome Boger

swiper
04-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Unfortunately I highly doubt the NFL would let Hochuli go.

Cali512
04-08-2015, 04:57 PM
The official that looks like curious georges owners needs to go. I forgot his name but hes the one that always looks like hes going to **** himself while makong a call

Novacane
04-08-2015, 05:00 PM
They were probably the five that threw the most flags on the Pats.

k-oneputt
04-08-2015, 05:12 PM
Walt Coleman can't go.
Robert Kraft and the Patriots will demand he stays. Probably on Krafts payroll.

feldspar
04-08-2015, 05:29 PM
I won't shed a tear.

I also read that we'll be seeing the first female official every week this year.

Mace
04-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Well good. This year was just terrible, no matter what rules were changed. Sometimes they looked clueless and random out there.

better days
04-08-2015, 07:22 PM
I heard Ruben Brown talk about the refs this past season.

Ruben said the NFL puts the worst refs in the most inconsequential games.

That is a logical thing for the NFL to do & since the Bills have been one of the worst teams over the past 15 years & played in mostly inconsequential games.

We have seen the worst refs as Bills fans in the last 15 years.

As the Bills improve, so will the refs at their games.

But it is good to know the NFL is getting rid of the WORST refs.

Mace
04-08-2015, 07:29 PM
I heard Ruben Brown talk about the refs this past season.

Ruben said the NFL puts the worst refs in the most inconsequential games.

That is a logical thing for the NFL to do & since the Bills have been one of the worst teams over the past 15 years & played in mostly inconsequential games.

We have seen the worst refs as Bills fans in the last 15 years.

As the Bills improve, so will the refs at their games.

But it is good to know the NFL is getting rid of the WORST refs.

Dunno. I saw a lot of terrible officiating in the best games, and don't really know we're gaining any perks.

better days
04-09-2015, 07:20 AM
Dunno. I saw a lot of terrible officiating in the best games, and don't really know we're gaining any perks.

I think a big problem is the rule book.

The NFL rule book is too damn big, complicated & convoluted.

IMO, the NFL needs to look at scaling back the rule book & simplify it.

Topas
04-09-2015, 08:21 AM
A start would be that they define a catch in a way that everybody understands it and it is actually possible to for refs to assess it...

Topas
04-09-2015, 08:25 AM
Saw this and was going to post. The best response:

Well, if I remember correctly these are all crew chiefs. I doubt that all 4 persons that they want to get rid of are crew chiefs.

Joe Fo Sho
04-09-2015, 08:38 AM
I won't shed a tear.

I also read that we'll be seeing the first female official every week this year.

HEAD OFFICIAL: What's the flag?

FEMALE REF: Oh, I don't know.

HEAD OFFICIAL: You threw the flag. Tell me what happened?

FEMALE REF: Nothing happened, everything is fine.

HEAD OFFICIAL: So I can waive the flag then?

FEMALE REF: Fine, do whatever you want.

HEAD OFFICIAL: There's obviously is problem. Why don't you just tell me what's wrong?

FEMALE REF: I shouldn't have to tell you what's wrong! You should just know!

swiper
04-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Does a female ref require some pillow talk after every flag she throws?

Oaf
04-09-2015, 11:06 PM
Is Luckett gone?

stuckincincy
04-10-2015, 09:22 AM

Very good points. And I think that the advent of instant replay is a contributor.

Buddo
04-12-2015, 05:28 AM

I think it's been obvious for some time now, that that is the case. They keep tinkering with stuff, to the point where to make a ruling correctly, you are going to need a room full of lawyers. Far too much convoluted language, on some of the rules.

To be honest, I think the NFL knows this, but they can't stomach actually re-doing the whole thing. They may also not be able to find someone who actually can simplify it, while still retaining everything they want in it. It's not a regular skill set. ;)

swiper
04-12-2015, 05:40 AM
LOL. The NFL rule book is too big only to simpletons.

Rule tinkering has gone on every year since year one. It is not new.

better days
04-12-2015, 07:05 AM
LOL. The NFL rule book is too big only to simpletons.

Rule tinkering has gone on every year since year one. It is not new.

Right.

No problems with the rules. The Cowboys will tell you that.

stuckincincy
04-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Maybe some of those fine refs who walked Duke to the NCAA title also do football... :p:

Cali512
04-12-2015, 12:26 PM
Im not trying to be sexist but this female official seems to be another way for Goodell to just gain female fans. This is just like how the breast cancer month has turned into an amazing profit from female fans

DraftBoy
04-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Im not trying to be sexist but this female official seems to be another way for Goodell to just gain female fans. This is just like how the breast cancer month has turned into an amazing profit from female fans

I'm not really sure hiring a female ref makes any difference in that at all. Plus based on the reactions to this all over the internet, current NFL fans are far by far the biggest deterrent to the NFL gaining more female fans.

The NFL also isn't breaking any kind of ground here. The NBA employs three full time female referees. Both the MLB and NHL do not currently have female refs.

upstart
04-12-2015, 08:27 PM
Jeff Triplette and Ed Hochuli, have been very bad to the Pats. Glad to see them gone