PDA

View Full Version : Bradham, Brown, Hughes and ? Who's The 4th Linebacker?

BillsImpossible
04-08-2015, 06:00 PM
According to the Bills website, Bradham and Brown are expected to play at ILB.

I'd expect Bradham to play weak side, and Brown will be the, "Mike," at strong side ILB.

Jerry Hughes is the primary pass rusher at outside linebacker. He's the, "Jack."

The other OLB in a 3-4 defense is supposed to be able to cover, blitz, and play the run.

Brandon Spikes can blitz and play the run, but he's a liability against the pass.

Who fits in as the Bills 4th linebacker?

Ty Powell? 6'2 249 lbs
Jimmy Gaines? 6'3 240 lbs
Bryan Johnson? 6'4 250 lbs
Randell Johnson? 6'4 245 lbs
Manny Lawson? 6'5 240 lbs (turns 31 in July).

Possible 2nd or 3rd round Outside Linebackers in the 2015 NFL Draft:

Nate Orchard, 6'3 250 lbs.
Owa Odighizuwa, 6'3 267 lbs.
Lorenzo Mauldin, 6'4 259 lbs.
Hau'Oli Kikaha, 6'2 253 lbs.

YardRat
04-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Mario Williams.

BillsImpossible
04-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Mario Williams.

He's 6'8, 292 lbs and 31 years old. The Bills need him at DE more than they need him at OLB.

BertSquirtgum
04-08-2015, 06:28 PM
He's 6'8, 292 lbs and 31 years old. The Bills need him at DE more than they need him at OLB.
No

YardRat
04-08-2015, 06:37 PM

Switching Mario back to OLB in a '43 under' from DE in a wide 9 is going from good to bad. Putting him at a 5tech is going from bad to worse.

BillsImpossible
04-08-2015, 06:38 PM
No

Sure, let's just hope and pray Stefan Charles can produce at least 14.5 sacks next year while Mario Williams plays OLB.

I'm not against Mario playing OLB, I'm against vacating the DE position in this 3-4 defense.

If Kyle Williams plays nose again like he did under Pettine, Dareus and Williams should be playing next to him.

YardRat
04-08-2015, 06:40 PM
The DE position was already vacated with the switch, so somebody from Bryant, Charles, another FA or draft pick is going to have to step up. Unless they draft/sign a true NT and try KW there.

BillsImpossible
04-08-2015, 06:46 PM
The DE position was already vacated with the switch, so somebody from Bryant, Charles, another FA or draft pick is going to have to step up. Unless they draft/sign a true NT and try KW there.

Can Mario Williams cover a tight end or running back at this point in his career?

If Williams does go back to linebacker, I want him to be the guy covering Gronk.

BillsImpossible
04-08-2015, 06:58 PM
How's this for an idea?

Leave Mario at DE where he belongs, and fill in the 4th linebacker position with this guy:

Hau'Oli Kikaha led the nation in 2014 with 19 sacks.

Holy kaka.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jnB0KrxTS1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Mace
04-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Meh. I just don't understand why people keep falling back into thinking it's Fairbanks-Bullough 3-4.

It's not. They need an "end" who is not really an end and might be Lawson, a pick or one of the reserves.

But it's just not a Fairbanks-Bullough 3-4 where you're going to see more than short coverage zone from a lineman playing LB. That's why Ryan is nuts about his DB's dancing up and back (46 defense is 46 all about a safety). There is going to be a hitter DB on the TE depending on how far he makes it.

I think they'll get gashed more by short slot throws and TE's too, but people are overly consumed about lb's and dl's being what they seem to be in a Ryan defense, which just isn't what it presents itself to be to begin with in 75% of the plays it faces, 25% being even remotely lining up and staying Fairbanks-Bullough 3/4.

Ginger Vitis
04-08-2015, 07:16 PM
How's this for an idea?

Leave Mario at DE where he belongs, and fill in the 4th linebacker position with this guy:

Holy kaka.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jnB0KrxTS1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

And I bet you want the Bills to draft that guy with their 2nd round pick lol

BillsImpossible
04-08-2015, 07:19 PM
And I bet you want the Bills to draft that guy with their 2nd round pick lol

My latest crush, yes.

BillsImpossible
04-08-2015, 07:30 PM
Meh. I just don't understand why people keep falling back into thinking it's Fairbanks-Bullough 3-4.

It's not. They need an "end" who is not really an end and might be Lawson, a pick or one of the reserves.

But it's just not a Fairbanks-Bullough 3-4 where you're going to see more than short coverage zone from a lineman playing LB. That's why Ryan is nuts about his DB's dancing up and back (46 defense is 46 all about a safety). There is going to be a hitter DB on the TE depending on how far he makes it.

I think they'll get gashed more by short slot throws and TE's too, but people are overly consumed about lb's and dl's being what they seem to be in a Ryan defense, which just isn't what it presents itself to be to begin with in 75% of the plays it faces, 25% being even remotely lining up and staying Fairbanks-Bullough 3/4.

Ryan already has a big hitter in Aaron Williams at safety. Corey Graham? Duke Williams? Kenny Ladler? Deon Broomfield? Bacarri Rambo?

That's a lot of safeties.

Lawson could get cut. $3.1 million cap hit in 2015.

gonzo1105
04-08-2015, 07:38 PM
From Rotoworld:

At his pro day, Washington edge rusher Hau'oli Kikaha's "lack of speed confirmed a lot of fears, and I've been told since the combine, a number of teams have removed him from their boards over medical concerns," reports TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.
Kikaha had a poor showing at the showcase, running forties timed between the high 4.8s and mid 4.9s. Kikaha weighed in at 243 pounds, 10 less than at the combine, but Pauline reported his 40 time at 4.97 seconds anyway. We would strongly suggest to NFL franchises that they should stop Kikaha's tumble if that's what happens later this month. The 6-foot-3, 250-pound Kikaha is hyper productive, posting 19 sacks, 73 tackles and two forced fumbles in 2014.

BertSquirtgum
04-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Lake titty kaka

BillsImpossible
04-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Lake titty kaka

Can Lake titty kaka cover Rob Gronkowski?

Who's the best, "coverage," linebacker that might be available in the 2nd round?

Mace
04-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Not gonna see it, you'll see hitter safety. Williams and Williams stay, Graham and only if the Bills sign Landry do they draft anything else. Ryan loves him some db's and not the ones you give him.

BillsImpossible
04-08-2015, 08:08 PM
Safety talk aside, who's going to be the Bills 4th linebacker?

17 posts in and only Mario Williams, Lake titty kaka, and Hau'Oli Kikaha have been named as potential candidates.

Who else?

YardRat
04-08-2015, 10:35 PM
Can Mario Williams cover a tight end or running back at this point in his career?

If Williams does go back to linebacker, I want him to be the guy covering Gronk.

Not very well, that's part of the concern.

YardRat
04-08-2015, 10:39 PM

Ryan's scheme will expect more out of Mario and Hughes opposed to Schwartz's 'set the edge, go after the ball' simplicity that Jim asked of them. More reads, more responsibilities, more coverage which isn't either's strong point. Let's not forget that Lawson was the starter in '13, not Hughes, and Jerry spent the vast majority of the season coming off the bench.

swiper
04-09-2015, 04:07 AM
Everyone forgets about Lawson (good job Mace). He kind of faded from thought in Schwartz's scheme, but was productive when Pettine was here.

better days
04-09-2015, 07:42 AM
Everyone forgets about Lawson (good job Mace). He kind of faded from thought in Schwartz's scheme, but was productive when Pettine was here.

I have not forgotten about Lawson. Would be great to see Rex make use of him like Pettine did.

The Jokeman
04-09-2015, 05:33 PM
How's this for an idea?

Holy kaka.

I had Kikaha on the radar if we lost Hughes as an UFA but now that we haven't I lessened that stance. One guy I'm intrigued by is Marcus Hardison who some reports say could play the 5 technique at DE and what we could use but also a guy who could play DT in 43 which could make him a viable replacement for Kyle Williams if and when he retires. Yet with Rex likely here longer than Kyle we might need a 43 DT. Yet if talking OLB one guy who I'd love but likely be long gone by pick 50 is Eli Harold.

BillsImpossible
04-09-2015, 06:08 PM
I like how he wears number 1. Dude is fast. At 6'3 and 307 lbs, he can add a year or two on to Kyle Williams career.

Interesting pick, great post.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ijKPpycOhgE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BillsImpossible
04-09-2015, 06:25 PM
What about 'Diggy?

Owamagbe Odighizuwa

Holy freaking long arms. At 6'3, 270 lbs he could play as the 4th linebacker, or DT if he packed on 15 pounds worth of Molson Canadian and wings.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IIovXO0NEEA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BillsImpossible
04-09-2015, 06:31 PM
Ryan's scheme will expect more out of Mario and Hughes opposed to Schwartz's 'set the edge, go after the ball' simplicity that Jim asked of them. More reads, more responsibilities, more coverage which isn't either's strong point. Let's not forget that Lawson was the starter in '13, not Hughes, and Jerry spent the vast majority of the season coming off the bench.

You made about 10 great points in one short sentence.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Ryan already has a big hitter in Aaron Williams at safety. Corey Graham? Duke Williams? Kenny Ladler? Deon Broomfield? Bacarri Rambo?

That's a lot of safeties.

Graham is not a full time safety and Ladler and Broomfield are deep, deep depth. The fight is between Duke Williams, Meeks, and anyone else we might bring in for the starting FS spot.

Also, I think Aaron Williams' rep as a "big hitter" is a little overblown. He's a solid tackler but I don't really see him laying the lumber like the Chancellors, Pollards, Clarks, etc of the world.

better days
04-10-2015, 07:22 AM
Graham is not a full time safety and Ladler and Broomfield are deep, deep depth. The fight is between Duke Williams, Meeks, and anyone else we might bring in for the starting FS spot.

Also, I think Aaron Williams' rep as a "big hitter" is a little overblown. He's a solid tackler but I don't really see him laying the lumber like the Chancellors, Pollards, Clarks, etc of the world.

I agree about Graham. I think he plays CB more than safety.

But I think the fight for the 2nd safety spot is between Duke Williams & Bacarri Rambo & anyone else brought in.

casdhf
04-10-2015, 09:00 AM
Front 7 will be: Kyle, Dareus, Mario, Hughes, Brown, Bradham, Wynn/Lawson.

yordad
04-10-2015, 02:28 PM
Lawson is a pretty good coverage olb. And for you 40 time fixated people, check out Lawsons. He is actually faster than safety Arron Williams.

YardRat
04-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Lawson's 40 time is faster than a lot of safeties.

Mace
04-10-2015, 05:16 PM

Absolutely, that's why you're going to see more of the DB's dancing up to threaten blitz, before covering LB roles on given plays. Ryan is all about disguise.

I look back to the Pettine effort, Lawson, Hughes, and Mario, the theoretical linebackers, combined for 7 passes defensed, the safeties 18, the cb's 51. The theoretical linebackers are seldom dangled in coverage.

The extra lineman was Branch for a rotation of Branch, Williams, Williams, Dareus, Lawson, Hughes.

"True" lb rotation was Alonso, Moats/Bradham...

DB lineup was Gilmore, Williams, Byrd/Leonhard, McKelvin, Searcy, Robey, Rogers with some Ron Brooks.

It leads me to believe, people are looking for a phantom "linebacker (who isn't)" and the real question is which DB's will be that linebacker (who isn't), with that "linebacker" filling the role on a given play but not really being one, same as the linemen lining up in a formation but not having the role, because the formation really isn't standard.

Difference with Tampa-2 imho, is that Tampa-2 really expected that DB (Bryan Scott for example) to primarily always be a linebacker who could be a real DB, and difference with Fairbanks/Bullough 3-4 was that the OLB's had consistent coverage responsibilities with less true linemen and more true lb's.

Where I see Ryan more refined than Pettine, or even with a diff roster and more player flexibility, is that Ryan more consistently knows how to use available personnel to stop the run and keep the defense from being so vulnerable to the slot and seam passes (I think).

The real lb's are only Brown and Bradham. The theoretical formation lb's are Brown, Bradham, Mario and Hughes/Lawson. "Associate" lb's are db's, or look for stupid things like a QB spotting Dareus lumbering to cover a TE, with someone a breath from piling into his blindside or a short cb behind a line matchup a step away from being in line with the pass.

I think.

stuckincincy
04-12-2015, 11:45 AM
According to the Bills website, Bradham and Brown are expected to play at ILB.
I'd expect Bradham to play weak side, and Brown will be the, "Mike," at strong side ILB.
Jerry Hughes is the primary pass rusher at outside linebacker. He's the, "Jack."
The other OLB in a 3-4 defense is supposed to be able to cover, blitz, and play the run.
Brandon Spikes can blitz and play the run, but he's a liability against the pass.
Who fits in as the Bills 4th linebacker?

I'd guess they will take a look-see after the FA cuts.

And I wouldn't be surprised at all if at the #50 pick they went for a DB or LB according to their HC's taste.

Cali512
04-12-2015, 12:21 PM
Powell i think is who the staff is counting on.