X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Albany,n.y.
    • Jul 2002

The 1st Saturday in May is no time to hold a draft

The last day of the NFL draft is the 1st Saturday in May. There's only one thing I pay attention to on the 1st Saturday in May-THE KENTUCKY DERBY!
    This will be the 1st time in many years I won't watch the entire draft.
    You don't hold the NFL Draft on a day that is one of the biggest days in another sport. I hope Goodell wakes up & makes this something that ends in 2015 and is never repeated again. If the Bills draft the next Tom Brady in the 6th round, I won't be around to know because Goodell has made every player drafted that Saturday Mr. Irrelevant to me.
  • BertSquirtgum
    Legendary Zoner
    • May 2009

Re: The 1st Saturday in May is no time to hold a draft

The Kentucky derby is gayer than a twelve man orgy.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

This weekend would have been worse.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Luisito23
        Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
        • Apr 2003

LOL...Kentucky Derby?...Is this a serious thread?
        "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
        ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
        ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
        ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

I agree. They drag this out as if it's some exact science.

The draft is a roll of the dice with so many misses every single year. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy it.. but it's waaaaaaaaaay overrated in regards to expectation.. People can't believe when picks don't pan out and I just laugh.

Bills went crazy in FA this year and you basically know what you're getting there. Proven NFL players. Now pick a couple promising OL and some other good positional players and see if they pan out with a new way of doing business ( post Ralph ).

That's my hope, not expectation.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

I would expect the final pick on Saturday to happen just minutes before the gates open at the Derby.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

I now hate everything about the draft.

I hate that it comes so late & that it is spread out over three days & that it starts on a THURSDAY night.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

And I used to watch every minute of the draft from beginning to end.

Starting this year, I will watch as much of the draft as I did the Pro Bowl, which is to say, not a minute of it.

I will just wait until the results sent to me in a app to find out who the Bills drafted.

Comment

• feldspar
                  • Mar 2007

Easy.

Doesn't the Kentucky Derby only last about zero-point-two seconds?

You should only miss a draft pick or two if you just want to watch the race.

How long can you stand the hype?

Comment

• jamze132
                    Don’t hate…
                    • Jun 2003

The NFL making the draft this huge 3-day event is what's stupid. Just go back to making it 2 days and schedule it the first couple weeks of April.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

I hate the 3 day schedule and having the first round on a weeknight but the derby? It only lasts a few minutes. You can easily watch both.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                        I hate the 3 day schedule and having the first round on a weeknight but the derby? It only lasts a few minutes. You can easily watch both.
                        Derby is a full day event with other races. What you suggest is the same as saying just turn on the draft when the Bills are on the clock. The whole Bills draft lasts what, half an hour at most?

PS: I've been to the Derby once (last year) & the draft once (1997). The Derby is a much more entertaining day.
                        Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 04-13-2015, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• Swiper
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by better days View Post
                          I now hate everything about the draft.

I hate that it comes so late & that it is spread out over three days & that it starts on a THURSDAY night.
                          NFL is no longer ashamed of admitting they will do anything/everything to make money at every turn.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
                            Derby is a full day event with other races. What you suggest is the same as saying just turn on the draft when the Bills are on the clock. The whole Bills draft lasts what, half an hour at most?

PS: I've been to the Derby once (last year) & the draft once (1997). The Derby is a much more entertaining day.
                            I have no interest in going to the draft. Too much sitting around.

I'm not a horse racing fan but I'd check out the Derby for the experience. I've been to the Virginia gold cup a few times- different type of race but the same type of event. One side of the track is all families and the other is young people tailgating and getting insanely hammered.

Also Pimlico is maybe 5 miles from my house but we've never gone to the Preakness.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                              NFL is no longer ashamed of admitting they will do anything/everything to make money at every turn.
                              I agree, but I think the NFL killed the Golden Goose with this draft format.

Fans used to hold draft parties & gather with their friends to watch the draft.

With no really exciting players to watch for in this draft, & spread out over three days, the draft is now as big a joke as the Pro Bowl.

I predict the NFL will have less viewers this year than last. Not a good sign.

Comment

Working...
                              X