PDA

View Full Version : Roman on how QB reps will be distributed

swiper
04-13-2015, 04:39 PM
Roman says all four quarterbacks will get first-team reps

Posted by Mike Florio on April 13, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT
https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptnloty2zjfinjk4odqymjq5nznjmdyxzta1otcxytky-e1420992789439.jpg?w=223
Getty Images
Last year, then-Jets coach Rex Ryan said there would be an open competition between Geno Smith (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8326/geno-smith) and Mike Vick (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2107/michael-vick) at quarterback. And then Vick blew the whole thing up by saying it wouldn’t be an even distribution of first-team reps and the Jets eventually (and reluctantly) agreed.

This year, Ryan has suggested that a four-way chase for the starting quarterback job will happen in Buffalo. Offensive coordinator Greg Roman has backed up the boss, telling reporters on Monday that all four quarterbacks will get first-team reps, at some point.

“I think all four are doing a very nice job in our meetings and in communicating, as we are in a teaching phase,” Roman said of Matt Cassel (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3237/matt-cassel), EJ Manuel (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8331/ej-manuel), Tyrod Taylor (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6509/tyrod-taylor), and Jeff Tuel (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8661/jeff-tuel). “They’re all going to have ample opportunity to get out there and practice. When we start evaluating then we’ll start to play around with things a little bit, who’s with the first team the one day, and the next day, and so forth. Everyone will have a chance to work with the first team and everybody’s going to have ample opportunity to put their best foot forward. And then we’ll have a good feel for it as we go.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/13/roman-says-all-four-quarterbacks-will-get-first-team-reps/

OpIv37
04-13-2015, 05:06 PM
I'm no big fan of Cassell but if I were him, I'd be pissed at being mentioned as an equal with those 3 who haven't done jack ****.

SpikedLemonade
04-13-2015, 05:08 PM
Jeff Tuel is a waste of reps.

OpIv37
04-13-2015, 05:25 PM
Jeff Tuel is a waste of reps.

Hey man he had a good pre-season game two years ago. He's the next Tom Brady- he's just waiting for his chance.

SpikedLemonade
04-13-2015, 05:27 PM
Jeff Tuel remains on this roster only due to Whaley's ego.

He won't admit to the mistake.

swiper
04-13-2015, 05:34 PM

Chris Williams was a Whaley mistake.

Tuel was an undrafted free agent. He has played well in pre-season before. There is no great loss having him around. If he makes it, then great. If not, no great loss.

No one really expects him to stick this year do they?

justasportsfan
04-13-2015, 05:56 PM
I'm no big fan of Cassell but if I were him, I'd be pissed at being mentioned as an equal with those 3 who haven't done jack ****.

He hasn't proven anything recently.

Night Train
04-13-2015, 06:00 PM
I see nothing wrong being said.

The depth chart at QB will sort itself out fairly quickly in camp. By the 2nd or 3rd pre-season game, the starter will be obvious and playing with the starters. No one shoud feel they are the favorite for the job.

Shut up and play. Earn the job.

swiper
04-13-2015, 06:03 PM
Yep. The cream will rise to the top. The coaches will see pretty quickly who they want to go with form this group.

better days
04-13-2015, 06:53 PM
I agree the cream will rise to the top, but does anyone really think that will be Taylor or Tuel?

I think Cassel & EJ are battling for the starting job & Taylor & Tuel are battling for who gets kicked to the curb.

swiper
04-13-2015, 06:59 PM
It's hard to get too excited over any of them.

BillsImpossible
04-13-2015, 07:25 PM
I agree the cream will rise to the top, but does anyone really think that will be Taylor or Tuel?

I think Cassel & EJ are battling for the starting job & Taylor & Tuel are battling for who gets kicked to the curb.

That seems to be the prevailing thought, but Cassel can't run.

The Bills offense is going to be built on the run in 2015, and the QB is going to be a major part of that based on recent comments from Roman and Lee.

BillsImpossible
04-13-2015, 07:28 PM
It's hard to get too excited over any of them.

How can you not get a football woody after spending 30 minutes on youtube watching Tyrod Taylor play for Virginia Tech?

Novacane
04-13-2015, 07:55 PM

How is an undrafted FA a mistake?

Novacane
04-13-2015, 07:57 PM
I agree the cream will rise to the top, but does anyone really think that will be Taylor

Billsimpossible lol

Topas
04-14-2015, 01:00 AM
I also think that Taylor has a 20% chance of becoming the starter. Maybe even 33.3%.
He is the only QB that did not yet prove that he sucks. The other three proved that in regular season games.

swiper
04-14-2015, 04:04 AM
I also think that Taylor has a 20% chance of becoming the starter. Maybe even 33.3%.
He is the only QB that did not yet prove that he sucks. The other three proved that in regular season games.

LOL. Interesting reasoning.

HHURRICANE
04-14-2015, 07:00 AM
That seems to be the prevailing thought, but Cassel can't run.

The Bills offense is going to be built on the run in 2015, and the QB is going to be a major part of that based on recent comments from Roman and Lee.

Have you watched Cassel play? This is the second time you've mentioned he can't run. That's not accurate. He actually can run this offense better than anyone on the roster. If Tyrod and EJ can't throw a five yard pass it doesn't matter if they are track stars out there.

HHURRICANE
04-14-2015, 07:02 AM
It's really Cassel's job to lose. These coaches are going to want a veteran, not a project.

Mr. Pink
04-14-2015, 07:44 AM
The only two QBs that should get first team reps are EJ and Cassel.

EJ is the only QB on the roster with any upside which isn't a good sign to be honest and Cassel is the only QB on the roster to prove he actually belongs on an NFL roster.

The two of them should battle it out and whoever wins the job, good for them! Giving first team reps to the other 2 guys is pointless and a waste of time as neither of them have any chance at starting.

Topas
04-14-2015, 08:39 AM
I disagree that Tyrod has no upside. He is Rexs guy. Rex did not bring in EJ. And while Rex did bring in Cassel (or at least agreed to it), Cassels ceiling is proven. While Tyrod's is not.

I agree that giving Tuel first team reps is ridiculous. Especially if you already have three other guys. But I am looking forward to what Tyrod can do. And I think his chance to start is higher than 0%. I dont know if it is 10% or 25% or 33%, but it definitely higher than 0, and I am sure that Rex will give him first team reps.

trapezeus
04-14-2015, 10:20 AM
cassell is also older and a few years removed from being productive. he deserves to be with this group.

i also imagine "first team reps" is a first week of camp thing and then it gets whittled down and probably the first guy to get first team reps will tuel. if he doesn't perform he gets cut and then it transitions to cassel and manuel.

SpikedLemonade
04-14-2015, 10:34 AM
How is an undrafted FA a mistake?

Keeping him on the roster is the mistake.

better days
04-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Keeping him on the roster is the mistake.

Nonsense. Tuel was on the practice team last year as the #3 QB

The roster is at 90 players now & you can't have too many arms throwing the ball in TC.

If Tuel is on the roster after TC ends, he will have earned his spot.

swiper
04-14-2015, 12:11 PM
I think they will get down to 2 or 3 guys relatively quickly. At this point they are just leaving their options open.

Cali512
04-14-2015, 10:47 PM
As much as everyone says its more EJ vs Cassell. I see Tyrod being over EJ. Ive heard nothing but positives from every coach about Tyrod. Meanwhile anytime EJ is mentioned, its, well we will see if he puts it together. Never any specific compliment toward his arm, mind, statistics. Nothing. If you took all the quotes, you would think it was. Taylor, Cassell, then Ej.

snow1989
04-14-2015, 11:07 PM
Let them 'duke' it out in training camp. No issue there. I am curious to see what this Taylor guy can do though.

better days
04-15-2015, 08:43 AM
As much as everyone says its more EJ vs Cassell. I see Tyrod being over EJ. Ive heard nothing but positives from every coach about Tyrod. Meanwhile anytime EJ is mentioned, its, well we will see if he puts it together. Never any specific compliment toward his arm, mind, statistics. Nothing. If you took all the quotes, you would think it was. Taylor, Cassell, then Ej.

OK, show us some quotes about Tyrod from Coaches.

Steve DeBerg had some very positive things to say about EJ & his arm, athletic ability & work ethic on the John Murphy show the other day.