PDA

View Full Version : next season - newbie question

Topas
04-15-2015, 02:42 AM
Hi guys,

I dont follow hockey, but I might become interested if the Sabres become good.

Therefore my question is, what is the chance of them becoming good. Why can they go from last to playoffs due to one guy, who is a rookie!?! Even if he is Gretzky, was Gretzky Gretzky during his rookie season?

I understand that we have another first round pick, but why are the expectations so high? Why do you guys assume that they make such a big leap in one year?

I guess there are some more reasons other than Eichel, right?

Would like to get some insight here. Many thanks

casdhf
04-15-2015, 05:14 AM
Pass.

Night Train
04-15-2015, 05:29 AM
Expectations high..long term. Short term, improvement but no playoffs.

New coach, heavy roster turnover, youth will be everywhere.

chernobylwraiths
04-15-2015, 05:33 AM
Hi guys,

I dont follow hockey, but I might become interested if the Sabres become good.

Therefore my question is, what is the chance of them becoming good. Why can they go from last to playoffs due to one guy, who is a rookie!?! Even if he is Gretzky, was Gretzky Gretzky during his rookie season?

I understand that we have another first round pick, but why are the expectations so high? Why do you guys assume that they make such a big leap in one year?

I guess there are some more reasons other than Eichel, right?

Would like to get some insight here. Many thanks

Well, it would be more than just one guy. First, we traded for a guy last year who is supposed to be pretty good and didn't play a game for us in Evander Kane. We also lost a couple of decent players about midway through last year in Georges and Girgensens that will help. Add that to the continued development of some young guys like Ristolenin and Zadorov and you should see improvement. Plus, we should see our first rounder from last year Reinhardt play and maybe a free agent or two and there is definitely a good chance for significant improvement. That's not even counting the guy we add THIS year. Colorodo added a decent coach and made the playoffs after picking first overall (though they weren't the worst team in the leauge if I remember correctly). It's not unheard of.

Gretzky was in the WHL his rookie year and he was pretty good. He was one of the top players in a league that wasn't the NHL but had some really good players that jumped from the NHL. So, that is a difficult comparison. Add to that the amount of talent that Gretzky had around him and you can't compare. Now Lemieux is a much better comparison and he was very good as a rookie, but all players that young, even if really good, only get better so that is also something to look forward to.

You are coming into being a Sabres fan at a good time, enjoy the ride because if they get good, the bandwagon will fill up fast.

Topas
04-15-2015, 05:45 AM
Thanks, Cher. I am curious how much the improvement will actually be. Let's see. Hopefully they get a decent coach and the players really develop... And I still hope that we win the lottery and get McDavid. Although I dont know that much about both.

rbochan
04-15-2015, 05:57 AM
You should become a season ticket holder immediately. And buy game-worn jerseys at top dollar for your 3 year old kid. Oh, and have a beef on weck at the Aud Club.
--- Ted Black.

Skooby
04-15-2015, 05:59 AM
I wouldn't count on nothing but waiting and seeing how things go. Getting an NHL team to play well involves many moving parts, heck the Sabres were only 5 points from a playoff position after a good run (then the wheels came off via injury).

- - - Updated - - -

You should become a season ticket holder immediately. And buy game-worn jerseys at top dollar for your 3 year old kid. Oh, and have a beef on weck at the Aud Club.
--- Ted Black.

LOL.

mightysimi
04-15-2015, 07:19 AM
Gretzky tied for the scoring lead in his 1st season in the NHL. Colorado also showed how emotion and excitement can get you to the playoffs once. Buffalo could make the playoffs next year. It is a lot to put on young guys though.

Dr. Who
04-15-2015, 09:58 AM
If everything tilted the Sabres way, maybe they sneak into the playoffs.
No one who follows hockey is really thinking that. The expectation is two years from now, playoffs.
I just hope TM doesn't get impatient and trade off too many assets in an attempt to improve too quickly.
Let the youth mature. 3 - 4 years from now, this team should be dominant.

trapezeus
04-15-2015, 10:19 AM
the sabres also have a prospect pool that they largely let sit in lower levels.

the sabres had good goaltending but like 35+ shots a game. you cut that down and put some goal scorers on the team, they match up with other teams' lines better.

essentially the sabres were running a 2 line as their 1 line. their 2 line was also a 2 line and their 3 and 4 lines weren't so hot. if the current 1 and 2 can be made 2 and 3 and a real 1 line develop with mcdavid/eichel and kane, the matchups will change greatly.

when you are undertalented and putting the wrong matchups out, you will end up in 30th. if it's more balanced night to night, you start to get to the 8th seed. if you excel, you are one of the better teams.

OpIv37
04-15-2015, 10:28 AM
The Sabres will improve significantly this upcoming year. But let's face it: they were BAD this past year. Historically bad.

Even with significant improvement, best case scenario is they stumble in as the 8th seed and get crushed by a more experienced team. More than likely, they won't make it.

JATMtheJATM
04-15-2015, 12:10 PM
i keep wanting to make a thread about where people think the sabres will end up next year, but we dont even know who our coach is, let alone free agents, trades, draft, ect.

basically chern nailed it. long term, this team has the makings to be special. next year? unknown at this point, but itll be better.

GreedoII
04-15-2015, 12:21 PM
they will contend for a playoff spot I believe. Cup contenders in a year or two after that

snow1989
04-16-2015, 12:06 AM
Gretzky tied for the scoring lead in his 1st season in the NHL. Colorado also showed how emotion and excitement can get you to the playoffs once. Buffalo could make the playoffs next year. It is a lot to put on young guys though.

Gretzky spent 3 yrs playing in the WHA which many consider / considered subpar prior to NHL hockey. Better than average farm clubs. And if memory serves me correctly weren't there some other star players around him? ( Messier, Coffey, Fuhr, Kurri...oh ya, those OTHER HOF guys! )

Crosby has had Super Mario, then Malkin, Fluery, Gonchar ( An HOF'er and a couple probable ones )

I think it takes 3 years to be a real contender. McDavid or Eichel would still need to be surrounded by a good supporting cast which right now we haven't got. We still need to find a number one goalie. Next year maybe we're in the play-off race to the last month...maybe grab an eight seed, maybe not, but competitive. 2nd year play-offs...maybe even a round one victory. 3rd year I think we could mount a serious run. IMHO

Yasgur's Farm
04-16-2015, 05:14 AM
Link to Sabres prospects depth chart... Not sure how accurate t is..
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kPijbdL9ySw/VSFLJJJ8tyI/AAAAAAAADOo/w9NMf7CLzts/s1600/APRIL%2B2015%2Bdepth%2Bchart.gif

mightysimi
04-16-2015, 07:14 AM
Gretzky spent 3 yrs playing in the WHA which many consider / considered subpar prior to NHL hockey. Better than average farm clubs. And if memory serves me correctly weren't there some other star players around him? ( Messier, Coffey, Fuhr, Kurri...oh ya, those OTHER HOF guys! )

Crosby has had Super Mario, then Malkin, Fluery, Gonchar ( An HOF'er and a couple probable ones )

I think it takes 3 years to be a real contender. McDavid or Eichel would still need to be surrounded by a good supporting cast which right now we haven't got. We still need to find a number one goalie. Next year maybe we're in the play-off race to the last month...maybe grab an eight seed, maybe not, but competitive. 2nd year play-offs...maybe even a round one victory. 3rd year I think we could mount a serious run. IMHO

He played 1 year in the WHA. The league had plenty of NHL talent which is why 4 teams moved right over from the WHA to the NHL (Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hartford and Quebec I think) He didn't have any of those future hall of famers when he started.

However, it is true that no one can do it by himself. The problem is if you get too many young guys alll trying to learn at the same time, you get Edmonton where they have tons of talent but no direction and no one to show these guys how to do it. You need a blend of experience and youth to win.