Canadiens Subban won't face any more discipline for slash on Senators player Stone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DetDannyWilliams
    Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
    • Feb 2013

Canadiens Subban won't face any more discipline for slash on Senators player Stone

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun · 11h11 hours agoNHL discipline chief Stephane Quintal confirms P.K. Subban not facing any more discipline for slash on Stone. Penalty last night sufficed.
    Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 04-16-2015, 07:41 PM.
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Canadiens Subban won't face any more discipline for slash on Senators player Ston

It was nasty play that has nothing to do with hockey. It's a disgrace and is the type of play that doesn't help hockey get rid of its image.

Subban should be sitting.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Ingtar33
      Dances With Buffaloes
      • Sep 2002

Re: Canadiens Subban won't face any more discipline for slash on Senators player Ston

that's a dumb penalty. but hardly murder. The soccer flop got the 5 minutes and ejection.
      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
        that's a dumb penalty. but hardly murder. The soccer flop got the 5 minutes and ejection.
        He broke his wrist.

It was hardly a flop.

Comment

• The King
          Without me it's just Awe so
          • Jun 2004

That was a deliberate shot. And likely Stone is missing the series. He should've at least got a hearing.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• mightysimi
            Buckle me in on the highway of sin
            • Mar 2010

Like it or not, there is a different set of rules and weight of the games for the playoffs. In the regular season he might get 2-3 games. That is about the equivalent of one playoff game which he just missed. That stickwork has no place in the game but it isn't going to go away. Top players are always going to get targeted. Carey Price last year is a perfect example.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

If the players can just skate around and break each-others bones then there wouldn't be much hockey to watch.

Comment

• mightysimi
                • Mar 2010

Lets see how micro fractured Stone is before we suspend the crap out of him. I'm sure he didn't mean to injure him and it's nothing that doesn't happen in every playoff.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

I don't know how anyone can defend that. It was a two handed slash with a wind up. It looked to me like he was trying to break Stone's stick but got the hands. If he was intentionally trying to hurt him he would have gone for the leg, but it's a dangerous play and that's why there are rules against it. And Stone's injury proves the inherent danger.

And this is where the league's disciplinary policy comes into question. If it's a lesser known player, I think there's a suspension. but they don't want to suspend a marquee player on an original six team during the playoffs.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mightysimi
                    • Mar 2010

There has and always will be a different set of rules for the playoffs if we agree with it or not. Are we going to suspend him and potentially damage one teams playoff hopes for a play that happens routinely in the NHL. The best I heard was one of the panels talking about it saying the only reason there is outrage is he went above the shoulder. If his angle of attack is slightly lower, it is probably a 2 min penalty. And I don't think they are wrong.

You are right about the name of the player having an effect on the calls. The Jordan rules exist in every sport.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                      Skoobasaurus-Rex
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                      I don't know how anyone can defend that. It was a two handed slash with a wind up. It looked to me like he was trying to break Stone's stick but got the hands. If he was intentionally trying to hurt him he would have gone for the leg, but it's a dangerous play and that's why there are rules against it. And Stone's injury proves the inherent danger. And this is where the league's disciplinary policy comes into question. If it's a lesser known player, I think there's a suspension. but they don't want to suspend a marquee player on an original six team during the playoffs.
                      Two words: Al Sharpton.

Comment

• mightysimi
                        • Mar 2010

Stone game time decision. If he plays does it change anyone's mind on a suspension?

Comment

• The King
                          Without me it's just Awe so
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
                          Stone game time decision. If he plays does it change anyone's mind on a suspension?
                          Yes.
                          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                          It was all
                          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                            Zero for Zero!
                            • Mar 2003

Not really.The outcome isn't the entire issue - the intent was. And it was an intent to injure.

Comment

• mightysimi
                              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
                              Not really.The outcome isn't the entire issue - the intent was. And it was an intent to injure.
                              I will disagree that it was an attempt to injure. Guys use their stick to slash the other players' stick all the time. He took a bigger wack than he should but you do see him look away before the stick even strikes. Slashing penalty, yes. Major, you could sell it with the injury as well as the game misconduct. Suspension in the playoffs? I don't think it merits it.

Don't make me dust off an old Chan Gailey "This is a tough game for tough people" quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X