X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

The NFL Could Have A Quarterback Problem In The Near Future

Ben Roethlisberger just turned 33 years old in March.

Philip Rivers will turn 34 years old in December.

Eli Manning will turn 35 years old in January 2016.

Peyton Manning just hit 39 years old last month.

Tom Brady turns 38 years old in August.

Drew Brees turns 37 in January 2016.

Tony Romo turns 35 in 4 days.

These are some of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, and they could all be retired within the next 2 or 3 years.

Take a look at all of the other starting quarterbacks from 2014:

Rogers and Luck are the only remaining elite quarterbacks left in the NFL if every player above retires soon.

Then you have Flacco, Dalton, Wilson, Ryan, Newton, Stafford, Cutler, and maybe RG3 as the best remaining quarterbacks.

Those guys are good, but they're not in the same category as Brady, Manning, Rogers and Luck.

Did the NFL shoot itself in the foot with the read option style quarterback?

I don't know yet, that's a question that I think will be answered this year.

If an NFL team can find a quarterback that can run like Kaepernick and throw like Brady, they might be on to something, but that kind of player doesn't exist right now, at least not yet.

What's the NFL going to do? Hope that this new style of quarterback takes off in 2015, or hope college teams go back to the more traditional pocket passing quarterback?

Time is ticking towards what when it comes to the quarterback position in the NFL?
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: The NFL Could Have A Quarterback Problem In The Near Future

The RB will return to prominence.

Welcome to the term " cyclical "
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• BillsImpossible
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
      The RB will return to prominence.

Welcome to the term " cyclical "
      With a quarterback running the ball too?

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

The NFL already has a QB problem. People that don't remember or weren't around to watch football prior to Manning and Brady are going to eventually realize how special these guys are.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• jimmifli
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
          The NFL already has a QB problem. People that don't remember or weren't around to watch football prior to Manning and Brady are going to eventually realize how special these guys are.
          I don't see much difference between them and Marino and Montana.

Every generation has greats.

Comment

• Strongman
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post

Except Marino and Montana did it in a time when QBs were allowed to be hit by defenses.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

Yes I heard they are doing away with the QB position after these guys retire.

Seriously?

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post

That's a pretty valid comparison, but Marino and Montana missed the playoffs 11 times compared to six for Manning/Brady (5 really, considering Brady didn't start as a rookie), and neither Marino/Montana could completely carry a team on their shoulders like Manning/Brady have been able to do. I think you'd be hard pressed to find two QB's of the same generation that have virtually dominated the stat sheets, the regular season, and playoff performance over such a long period of time, at the same time.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Hell, just finding two QB's that have started for 15 years at the same time would be hard enough.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• GreedoII
                    • Aug 2007

The rules will change again you watch....more defense and running...cyclical

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                      • Jul 2002

Tyrod Taylor-his day has come.

Comment

• Scumbag College
                        • Oct 2002

The triple option wishbone is coming to the NFL by 2017.
                        Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                          I read an opinion a while back that stated that the slew of rules favoring the pass has left the league with only a handful of qbs that have the pocket presence, decent arms, and the ability to scan in an instant for the open receiver among the many that are often on the field.

He went on to opine that the boatloads of defensive pass holds and interference calls last season were really an attempt to give the clubs without one of the above, a chance.
                          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                            • Mar 2013

Anyone listen to ESPN radio this afternoon at around 3 o'clock?

They were talking about the same subject, and the guy being interviewed (I forgot who) said that high school teams across the nation have abandoned the traditional pocket style quarterback in favor of the spread/read option offense, colleges are doing the same, and the NFL is seeing the results.

My guess is that if this new style of QB does not work out once again in 2015, NFL teams, colleges and high schools will revert back to the more traditional pocket passing quarterback.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                              Dances With Buffaloes
                              • Sep 2002

listen, the triple option/wishbone with the predominent offense in college up until 1990. there were few college teams with pro-style offenses. The few ones that did, seemed to produce most of the pro-quarterbacks. Even the option offense teams produced pro-products.

Even though the Spread-Option produces junk quarterbacks with inflated numbers and no leadership or even basic QB skills, the league will still find the handful of pro-ready QBs. It just might be a little hard.

This was the same argument that was made in the mid/late-90's with Jimbo retiring, aikmen's concussion issues, joe montana retiring, and elway and marino looking to retire as well, the concern was there was no young QBs except for that young Manning kid, Drew Bledsoe and Brett Farve. The league survived that shortage just fine.
                              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X